I've been looking for a while for an active community that shares my love for the monster side of the Dragon Quest franchise which led me here. I've only ever played DWM1&2 and Joker. I know there's a second Joker game but finding a cartridge has been rather difficult in my area. I'm really making this post to ask are there active people out there who enjoy this spin off series? I'd love to be able to just talk about the different monsters and the interesting change of mechanics. I'd love to learn more about these nostalgic games and the ones I haven't yet played.

Welcome to the Den!

I love the DQM games!

I've played the first one both on my original GBC, emulated on my phone, and the translated patch of Terry's Wonderland on 3DS! It was an amazing adventure each time. Working through the DQM+ manga novels now. They're set right after that game and pretty good.

The 2nd DQM is my favorite though. I played for endless hours back in the day. It's to this day the only game I ever 100%'d. I got all 312 monsters by breeding and trading between the 2 games on 2 systems. I'm getting close to just breaking down and playing the 3DS remake in Japanese because I just miss these games and the key world mechanic!

Joker 1 was great. Played it a bunch in Japanese upon release and then in English of course when it came.

Joker 2 got me back on the Den years ago when I'd wandered away for a bit. Good game in its own right, but I don't feel I did much in it after the credits rolled. To this day I can't figure out what happened to my strategy guide for it. How does one misplace a bright yellow book?

Joker 3 was another good game in its own right. Beat it 2 years ago, emulated on the PC. I jumped right into it after beating Terry's Wonderland 3D so maybe too much monstering too close together. I did enjoy it a great deal, but feel I didn't get into stuff like changing sizes or colors or some of the really unique stuff it was supposed to offer. Didn't touch the post game at all, but I had a blast with it. Was really cool to get to thank the translator when we had him on our Den podcast here in December. https://anchor.fm/dqslimetime/episodes/Episode-010---Z6n4-and-3DS-DQM-Translations-e9lm6n

On 5/29/2020 at 7:53 PM, Plattym3 said:

Welcome to the Den!

I love the DQM games!

I've played the first one both on my original GBC, emulated on my phone, and the translated patch of Terry's Wonderland on 3DS! It was an amazing adventure each time. Working through the DQM+ manga novels now. They're set right after that game and pretty good.

The 2nd DQM is my favorite though. I played for endless hours back in the day. It's to this day the only game I ever 100%'d. I got all 312 monsters by breeding and trading between the 2 games on 2 systems. I'm getting close to just breaking down and playing the 3DS remake in Japanese because I just miss these games and the key world mechanic!

Joker 1 was great. Played it a bunch in Japanese upon release and then in English of course when it came.

Joker 2 got me back on the Den years ago when I'd wandered away for a bit. Good game in its own right, but I don't feel I did much in it after the credits rolled. To this day I can't figure out what happened to my strategy guide for it. How does one misplace a bright yellow book?

Joker 3 was another good game in its own right. Beat it 2 years ago, emulated on the PC. I jumped right into it after beating Terry's Wonderland 3D so maybe too much monstering too close together. I did enjoy it a great deal, but feel I didn't get into stuff like changing sizes or colors or some of the really unique stuff it was supposed to offer. Didn't touch the post game at all, but I had a blast with it. Was really cool to get to thank the translator when we had him on our Den podcast here in December. https://anchor.fm/dqslimetime/episodes/Episode-010---Z6n4-and-3DS-DQM-Translations-e9lm6n

Thank you for welcoming me to the Forum! I should just replay all these games but I find it nowadays it gets harder and harder for me to start as, like all rpgs, the grind can wear me down. It makes sad too because I have such fond memories with these games. My brother and I used to play DWM together and one of the best moments was when we're trying to tame a lavaman from another tamer. We were literally on the edge of our seats and cheered when it came over to our side after the duel had ended. Our reward for our efforts was to breed it with Iceman for the amazing Gold Golem. I do feel a lil bad for using a breeding guide back then but I don't remember many of the combinations now. With memories of Joker my brother had an Action replay and cheated in metal slimes which I then used to breed powerful X rank monsters like Estark. That's what i disliked most of joker, the fact some monsters weren't breedable. I liked how in the old games it took a LOT of breeding to make a metal slime but it was worth it even though in some aspects you were downgrading. I really hope I can find a Joker 2 cart because the size mechanic seems interesting. Again, I can't thank you enough for your reply and I apologize for responding so late. I'm very new to this whole forum system which may reveal my age a little. 

• Like 1

Oh man, I LOVE taming monsters from other trainers. Such a great way to get ones you'd never see at those points in the game. The best thing about Terry's Wonderland 3D is that you can save anywhere, so if you see a trainer, you save and then can reload if it doesn't work. There are these MASSIVE monsters in the game too and as long as you're 1 screen away, you can save and reload and try to catch them too. It uses the % mechanic like Joker, but with just a few minutes I'd catch stuff with 1-5% chances.

Again, I can't thank you enough for your reply and I apologize for responding so late. I'm very new to this whole forum system which may reveal my age a little. 

Nah, no need to worry about timing. This is why I stay in forums and rarely use Discord. You can respond an hour, a day, a week later and the conversation keeps going. Don't worry about it!
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Which do you think I should start with first for this grand replay as I try to enjoy this lovely franchise again? I'm leaning towards the Gameboy games as the fact about metal slimes not being able to be bred or caught without endgame stuff in Joker frustrates me greatly. I know that could be unreasonable and unbalanced but it still frustrates me. 

Edited by GooseBolt
  • Like 1

Which do you think I should start with first for this grand replay as I try to enjoy this lovely franchise again? I'm leaning towards the Gameboy games as the fact about metal slimes not being able to be bred or caught without endgame stuff in Joker frustrates me greatly. I know that could be unreasonable and unbalanced but it still frustrates me. 
You can't go wrong with that. I love the GBC and their 8 skill slots where I could build my perfect monster.
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

You can't go wrong with that. I love the GBC and their 8 skill slots where I could build my perfect monster.

It's been so long that I don't even remember any of the mechanics except breeding. The other question is do I want to use the breeding charts from this website or try to do it blind and discover it myself. The only combo i remember from DQM 1 was a gupple and Metal drak made a metal slime and you could tame both of them in the same world. Then ofc a Metal slime x2 is a Metabble then that times two is Metal King slime then finally Goldslime with 2 metal king slime. That and a lavaman + Iceman is a Gold Golem. 

• Like 1

It's been so long that I don't even remember any of the mechanics except breeding. The other question is do I want to use the breeding charts from this website or try to do it blind and discover it myself. The only combo i remember from DQM 1 was a gupple and Metal drak made a metal slime and you could tame both of them in the same world. Then ofc a Metal slime x2 is a Metabble then that times two is Metal King slime then finally Goldslime with 2 metal king slime. That and a lavaman + Iceman is a Gold Golem. 
Hard to say for you. I played the games originally with a strategy guide and breeding charts next to me the entire time.

Dang, I missed out when this topic was active. 

Yeah, the Monsters game is the best line-up of Spinoff games in my opinion. 

I got a translated cart of Caravan Heart for the GBA (On Platty's recommendation), it's in line to get played in the next few months. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

Dang, I missed out when this topic was active. 

Yeah, the Monsters game is the best line-up of Spinoff games in my opinion. 

I got a translated cart of Caravan Heart for the GBA (On Platty's recommendation), it's in line to get played in the next few months. 

Oh, this topic won't stop being active if I have anything to do about it. What's Caravan Heart!? I didn't know there was a DWM game on my favorite system! What's it about, what kind of monsters are in it? 

2 hours ago, GooseBolt said:

Oh, this topic won't stop being active if I have anything to do about it. What's Caravan Heart!? I didn't know there was a DWM game on my favorite system! What's it about, what kind of monsters are in it? 

I'm not sure yet since I haven't started playing. I guess it was a Japan-Only release, but Platty was able to give me a link to where I could buy a fan translation on an actual cartridge so I get to play it in English. 

I guess the main character is Kiefer from DW VII. 

When you played DWM 2 was it Tara or Cobi?

It's Dragon Quest Monsters 3.

It's an odd duck, definitely unique in pretty much all it does. It stars Keifer from Dragon Quest 7, as a boy. He's transported to the land of Dragon Quest 2. You get hearts from beating monsters that you can fuse together to stronger monsters. The thing is, you can only ever have 3 monsters in your party. Those monsters tow caravans behind them. Into those caravans you recruit human characters. Human characters come from towns and have different classes and weights. The weights are important as caravans can only hold so much.

Sound complicated yet?

Then there's a food mechanic on top of it all. This is what scares a ton of people away from the game. You have a food meter that depleats as you walk the overworld. After an hour or two, it's not bad at all, rarely limiting, but it does stink at the beginning.

Really, 2-3 hours into the game you'll be golden. You'll understand the mechanics pretty well and be able to mix monsters by combining hearts and recruit just fine.

It was never released in English, but got a fan translation. You can buy fan-made carts and play it on GBC or emulate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest_Monsters:_Caravan_Heart

There are quite a few cool monsters that either only appear in this game or start appearing in this game. https://dragonquest.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_monsters_in_Dragon_Quest_Monsters:_Caravan_Heart

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

It was never released in English, but got a fan translation. You can buy fan-made carts and play it on GBC or emulate.

Well now I have to find a copy Platty, and definitely have to check out that monster list. While mechanics seem weird at first I bet they'd be refreshing to me. I still gotta get that Joker 2 cartridge as well. Oh, this forum has reignited my want to replay these games and play the main DQ games now too. Guess I could restart my playthrough of DQ2 but that's a little off topic. 

Edit: I forgot to answer @cprmauldin's question, sorry! 

I played as Tara in DWM2

Edited by GooseBolt
  • Like 1

Well now I have to find a copy Platty, and definitely have to check out that monster list. While mechanics seem weird at first I bet they'd be refreshing to me. I still gotta get that Joker 2 cartridge as well. Oh, this forum has reignited my want to replay these games and play the main DQ games now too. Guess I could restart my playthrough of DQ2 but that's a little off topic. 
Edit: I forgot to answer [mention=7070]cprmauldin[/mention]'s question, sorry! 
I played as Tara in DWM2
https://crazofgame.com/dragon-quest-monsters-caravan-heart-us-gba/?sku=1:1&gclid=CjwKCAjwt-L2BRA_EiwAacX32cPjGeyt3jYEhGbkh9NpnzRADnQo-QL5-S9w_lNopbNYLgzGpsUPmRoCpBgQAvD_BwE

With it being only $13 there's no excuse to not get this game, thanks Platty as always for being amazing! 

• Like 1

At this point I've effectively memorized the DWM2 breeding chart, or at least everything remotely relevant. I played through its 3DS remake, which was fun, as well as Joker 3 Pro, which was slightly less fun because without WiFi access I couldn't do everything. Joker 2 Pro wasn't that bad either. I might try to pick up Caravan Heart at some point, but I don't think so.

I might try to pick up Caravan Heart at some point, but I don't think so.

Fine then. Then forever will that stay to you, a Mystery, Mister.

23 hours ago, MrMystery said:

At this point I've effectively memorized the DWM2 breeding chart, or at least everything remotely relevant.

What do you mean by relevant? Is there a tried and true team that I don't know about? What are these powerful monsters?

For speedrunning purposes, unless you're doing something exotic, you'll probably be using Grizzlys and HornBeets, maybe something like a WhipBird if you're feeling fancy. Those are all easy to get quickly and are better than everything else you could be using. 

6 hours ago, MrMystery said:

For speedrunning purposes, unless you're doing something exotic, you'll probably be using Grizzlys and HornBeets, maybe something like a WhipBird if you're feeling fancy. Those are all easy to get quickly and are better than everything else you could be using. 

How long is that speedrun and what does it look like? How are the routes for the other DQM games?

HornBeet is a personal favorite. Always named it Horny.