Sign in to follow this  
DragonQuest2IsGood

Does anyone else think that DQV's prologue is awful?

I keep hearing people say DQ5 is the greatest game in the universe but I honestly don't agree so far. I'm on the prologue and god, does it feel bloated and pointless. 

The arcs in the prologue are so uninteresting and seemingly so unimportant it makes my head spin. I thought I was free when the haunted house arc was done and the actual was story was gonna get set up, but nope, I have to save the fairies now I guess. 

Does anyone else dislike the prologue? 

I actually like DQV mostly *for* that part of the game.

1 hour ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

I actually like DQV mostly *for* that part of the game.

Care to explain why?

Umm...I didn’t like the prologue as it was portrayed in the movie, I guess?

I’ve never heard the stance that the prologue was unimportant. It’s relevant because it helps to establish the Hero’s relationship with his father and Bianca and Prince Harry. The fairies end up coming into play later on, and it’s frankly a very short section of the game. It’s unfortunately really hard to explain why it’s good until you’ve finished it because it pertains to spoilers.

Care to explain why?
Well for me it's because it takes a segment that is traditionally a part of any story and delivers it in an interactive way. Pankraz instills that childhood feeling to the player of their dad being super strong and capable of anything when you journey with him. It sets up the childhood best friend trope but let's you play through it. Where many games would feature a 3 minute cutscene introducing these characters and events to you, DQ5 instead let's you meet them directly in play over the course of about 3 hours.

1 hour ago, eal said:

I’ve never heard the stance that the prologue was unimportant. It’s relevant because it helps to establish the Hero’s relationship with his father and Bianca and Prince Harry. The fairies end up coming into play later on, and it’s frankly a very short section of the game. It’s unfortunately really hard to explain why it’s good until you’ve finished it because it pertains to spoilers.

Yeah, pretty much what eal said. The entire first part of the game before becoming an adult plays into the rest of the story down the road, but those connections won’t be clear until later. Once you see them, you realize why it’s important.

Plus, as Aust said, not many RPGs actually have you play through the childhood of the lead character. It’s usually a short sequence or just some lines of dialogue if you’re lucky.

I like the first part of DQ5. It’s pretty short, plays in with the rest of the game, and has a few shocks to it that you catch you off guard and double back on what happened.

To me, all the beginnings of games are pretty damn good. I like it quite a bit when you know every battle could slowly kill you and you need to go out, fight, and earn every penny to upgrade some equipment for 1 or 2 people. Of course end games are awesome too for completely different OP reasons, but those first hours in every DQ game are kinda special to me. This one was no different. It completely sets up the entire rest of the game. You NEED to experience this or the emotional impact of a lot of the rest of the game doesn't hit.

Dragon Quest V is just about the perfect game in my estimation, so no I can't agree.  The prologue really helped to establish your characters motivations which is something usually severely lacking in a game where you have a silent protagonist.

On 5/28/2020 at 8:55 PM, eal said:

Totally agree. The stuff with Bianca is important later on. Even the relationship with the cat hit me, and it recurs later.

And I hated the part with Pankraz and Ladja. But the fact that it stirred such emotions (Ladja was just a servant and I hate him so much!) Enix did a good job.

Edited by Wes