Been trying to finish Dragon Quest XI S today since it’s apparently Dragon Quest Day. Or so Dragon Quest of the Stars claims.

I’m at the final dungeon of Act 2, so I’m hoping I can finally finish off the Switch version of the game.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

What's Dai no daibouken? Why is everyone hyped about it?

It was an old Shonen Jump manga based on Dragon Quest but with an original story that’s getting a new anime, manga, and misc. games (an arcade, console, and handheld game)

4 minutes ago, eal said:

It was an old Shonen Jump manga based on Dragon Quest but with an original story that’s getting a new anime, manga, and misc. games (an arcade, console, and handheld game)

11 minutes ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

The main character, Dai, was also recently featured in the game Jump Force as one of the playable characters. I don’t think any of us bought the game, but hey, it’s cool they included him in that title.

16 minutes ago, eal said:

I just looked this up and I was wowed by the amount of DQ anime and manga. I'm suprised that there's only one actual adaptation to date.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

The main character, Dai, was also recently featured in the game Jump Force as one of the playable characters. I don’t think any of us bought the game, but hey, it’s cool they included him in that title.

I heard it wasn’t very good and was graphically ugly but it really is a surprise Dai is in there considering it’s like 90% Bleach, Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, and One Piece characters.

24 minutes ago, eal said:

I heard it wasn’t very good and was graphically ugly but it really is a surprise Dai is in there considering it’s like 90% Bleach, Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, and One Piece characters.

It’s a bad game visually for sure. Character models look real bad in particular. It being another arena fighter like most anime licensed fighting games didn’t do it any favors in the gameplay department from what i’ve heard.

10 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It’s a bad game visually for sure. Character models look real bad in particular. It being another arena fighter like most anime licensed fighting games didn’t do it any favors in the gameplay department from what i’ve heard.

There were also a few Jump Force original characters that were designed by Akira Toriyama, and at least one of them, Kane, was the most Akira Toriyama thing I’ve ever seen. Very uninspired design.

42 minutes ago, eal said:

There were also a few Jump Force original characters that were designed by Akira Toriyama, and at least one of them, Kane, was the most Akira Toriyama thing I’ve ever seen. Very uninspired design.

Oh yes, it’s definitely not a great one. He looks like a combination of Jiren and Cell plus some tribal tattoos or something plastered on his forehead.

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Oh yes, it’s definitely not a great one. He looks like a combination of Jiren and Cell plus some tribal tattoos or something plastered on his forehead.

spacer.png

While dressed as Android 16.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

While Abel was the first DQ anime, Dai was the first DQ manga. It appeared in Shonen Jump and ran for several volumes. Like many Jump comics, it was eventually made into an anime. Dai was broadcast in French and Spanish as "Fly." Quite a few non US and Japanese folks were introduced to DQ that way.

Dai is mostly Jump property. Enix created the Gangan Comics and most of the DQ mangas were published under that label. Dai is a perfectly cromulent series, but it just doesn't feel like DQ to me.

Y'know, as unique and varied as Toriyama can be, I wonder if he's purposely doing these sort of designs specifically to play to the Jump crowd.

Edited by Dwaine
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, eal said:

YES! That’s the other character I was thinking of! Cell came to mind first due to the “wings,” on his back.

It’s like a design for a boss in DQ11 (will put this in spoilers since it involves DQ11 post game):

Spoiler

How Calasmos looks like a giant baby faced goon wearing Cell’s body as “armor.” Like, it blatantly looks like Cell’s exact design just with a claw and an arm cannon. I wish that someone said to Toriyama, “Can you make something else?”

Honestly, I think it would have worked if Calasmos had a more dragon like design or some sort of distortion on the Tockle design. When I hear the name “Calasmos,” in game for the first time, I never thought he would end up looking like...well, what he does.

spacer.png

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
32 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

Y'know, as unique and varied as Toriyama can be, I wonder if he's purposely doing these sort of designs specifically to play to the Jump crowd.

For Kane, I would agree, but I personally think it’s just him running out of juice in regards to character designs. I’m almost getting the impression so many of his character designs lately have had bald heads because his style isn’t suited to a wide variety of unique hairstyles. Of the three original characters, Glover, Kane, and Galena, two of them are bald men. I actually don’t think Galena looks too bad, but it’s no Android 21.

34 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

YES! That’s the other character I was thinking of! Cell came to mind first due to the “wings,” on his back.

The black spot in the center and that little bit of armor that hangs just above the crotch are the most blatant.

My dream DQ anime is one that adapts the first 3 DQ games in a JoJo's Bizarre Adventure-esque way where the series is split into parts that depicts the story of each protagonist of said games. 

@YangustheLegendaryBandit

No he doesn't look like Cell.  There are some similarities, but only in the sense of a carapace for each segment, connected with stringy joint tissue.  That's about it:

th?id=OIP.1cRiB-vaPyJBTLaWWToYqQHaMQ%26p

Cell has black spots, much like freckles.  C*l*sm*s has indented bumps.  Cell has a lot of black, Big-C is just two shades of green.  Cell's carapace looks more like rubbery skin.  Big-C's looks like a literal bug carapace, so very solid (and both behave in the way they appear...Cell's carapace is flexible, Big-C's is rigid).

I thought Big-C was odd, but hardly lacking in creativity.  For me it's one of the most unique boss designs.  It just doesn't make sense for the physical form of

Spoiler

the literal embodiment of darkness...though in a strange way it's playing on a similar motif as with Cell, and also the show "V the Visitors", where the alien race attempting to enslave/destroy/eat mankind is insect-like.  The head is just really odd as it's child-like, but that makes sense as he's literally the representation of the "id" and the "ego" of the original darkness that covered everything, before the light of creation, and its desire to restore the original darkness comes from an almost childlike desire and manner.

Spoiler

It's also a bit of a combination of Zoma in terms of functionality (true final theme once the "Sword of Light" is used), but also Psaro and Esturk, in the sense that the body form is insect-like.  It even has those rumbles reminiscent of the body's desire to expand or grow more (wasted opportunity now having multiple forms).  The face to body ratio is also reminiscent of Rhapthorne's initial self, as the fat oversized firefly with the child-like demon face.  Then there's the place where the battle unfolds, which is reminiscent of (and the nature of Big-C's origin being purely spiritual) Mortamor.

Posted (edited)

Eh. I see your points Iggy, but it’s hard for me not to see a weird looking take on the Cell design when I see Mr. C’s artwork. It has its own quirks, but I can’t help but feel like it’s a weird mash up of Cell’s 3 forms just altered some. To me it’s not one of Toriyama’s best designs for the series.

Honestly, I wish the new boss of the Monsters 2 3DS remake was used for Mr. C’s design. Look at this monstrosity and it’s second form. Either one would have been a perfect look for an all powerful dark being. Apologies they aren’t the greatest pictures, but I had a hell of a time finding this guy again. I may try and look for a video about him like how I first discovered the guy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

My dream DQ anime is one that adapts the first 3 DQ games in a JoJo's Bizarre Adventure-esque way where the series is split into parts that depicts the story of each protagonist of said games. 

Aren't the first three games less story-heavy than IV and the next titles? There might not be enough of the story for them to do that. But if you want a good DQ anime (apart from Dai), I strongly recommend DQ Your Story movie on Netflix. The story starts off simple and it's a light adaptation of DQ V but the way things unfold... it's a very beautiful anime. Worth to watch at least to see CGI slimes XD 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

@YangustheLegendaryBandit  Much agreed, Big-C is definitely not one of his best.  Distinct, but it really doesn't fit.  I was hoping for some shadowy figure, or a ton of bodily changes (afterall Cell's manga was started after DQ4, so likely Toriyama was inspired by the bug-like designs of Psaro, and the "evolution" of form). 

Spoiler

Culminating in some ethereal figure, like the body was akin to Gozer's "pick the form of your destroyer," only it's like a game, and since we're in HIS universe at the end, the destruction of the form is meaningless, as the darkness itself reforms around Big-C to create some ultimate odd substance.  Hell, I'd have taken some reworking of previous final boss forms, leading to a literal mess of darkness...a void with some physical presence (or maybe it can only be hit by Zap...I mean, c'mon, that's the point of the Luminary being able to destroy it...use that for once Horii).

I like that as a base design, or maybe even the second to last form or something.  The longest form to kill (let's assume he has 20k HP...seriously, that's something DQ11 needed, given how easy it is to hit 10k in a single round of Erik without seeds and even at low level).  It's a really nifty form.  An eyeless dragonoid, that looks inspired by H.R. Giger.

Edited by ignasia

The more I watch the Dai ARPG video, the more I actually like the design aesthetic.  It's quickly growing on me.  Given it's Action, it's very likely to come out here, so I'm looking forward to that.  I just hope they build a solid more standard ARPG, not the Mussou style we've seen thus far.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ignasia said:

The more I watch the Dai ARPG video, the more I actually like the design aesthetic.  It's quickly growing on me.  Given it's Action, it's very likely to come out here, so I'm looking forward to that.  I just hope they build a solid more standard ARPG, not the Mussou style we've seen thus far.

It does look like Musou, honestly. Which is.. eh, it's alright. I'm okay with unique Musou games, like DQ Heroes which had some fun ideas or Attack on Titan Musou, Berserk was ok but a little too much of the same. One Piece Musou, Gundam, Fist of the North Star, Arslan.. what else? They were all kind of bland. Wish devs would experiment more. But Musou can be ok.

Edited by ShonenKokoro
Posted (edited)

Not a fan is Mr. C's design, but he looks more menacing with the "helmet" on. Since he has this "sci-fi" looks they should have  explored more this space/time alien theme and how he would have been interpreted as a demon/dark lord in a fantasy setting. But the way it was made the design feels off.

Edited by Billy MK