21 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Man, it seems like everything I say nowadays comes off as argumentative. I wasn't disagreeing with you - DQ6 is surely *at least* a 7 - more just picking out a detail to talk about that stood out to me because it's something about society that bothers me. It wasn't as slight at you personally and I'm sorry if it came off that way.

You weren’t being argumentative, don’t worry. Your post was perfectly fine.

Man, it seems like everything I say nowadays comes off as argumentative. I wasn't disagreeing with you - DQ6 is surely *at least* a 7 - more just picking out a detail to talk about that stood out to me because it's something about society that bothers me. It wasn't as slight at you personally and I'm sorry if it came off that way.
DQ6 comes wearing its score on the box.
60% is a passing score, even if you use the flawed "letter grade" system. I mean, it's not great, but that's above 5 which should be average. Who decided 6/10 was a bad score? Especially when scoring something subjective?

I'm not speaking of the game in question, I haven't played it. I just critiquing the scoring system. I don't think every game worth playing needs a 10/10. If it's above 50% of the total possible score, that's above average.
It's very true. Crap games get 6/10 or 50% on most gaming sites. Like, broken, glitch #$*! gets 6/10. It's dumb. One of the things I always liked about RPGamer and still do working there is we use the whole scale. We give some games 1/5. I gave Super Neptunia RPG a 2/5 as it failed at pretty much everything, but wasn't glitchy, just annoying. Perfectly OK games get 3/5. Great games get 4/5 or maybe 4.5, once in a blue moon a 5/5 happens. The whole scale is used and 3/5 isn't bad. It's average. Not a lot of sites do that.
There were others. I’m sure you’ll give me #$*! for it, but another RPG that had that happen was Etrian Odyssey III. That game got a mediocre 6/10, and while it’s not my favorite entry in the series it’s definitely not deserving of that low of a score. All the comments from the writer spelled it out that he was definitely not an RPG fan, and especially not a dungeon crawler fan.
And yet tons of Etrian Odyssey fans are sad 3 didn't get the Untold treatment because it's their favorite and they just wanted to see it again.

17 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

When I say Mediocre, I mean Average, alright. I didn’t say 6/10 was a bad score. As far as I’m concerned as long as something has over a 5/10, the game is fine.

What I’m saying is that games weren’t being fairly judged, and were being given lower scores than they deserved by people who clearly didn’t give a #$*! about RPGs. You need people who have experience, whether professionally or as being fans of the genre, who can fairly critique a game and do a review. Stuff like DQ6 and EO3 getting a 6/10 is, frankly, kind of unfair to those games. Games with genuine quality to them can get the short end of the stick because of that.

I’ve said my piece though, so we’ll leave it at that.

20 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
20 hours ago, eal said:
I’ve heard it that the way it works in a lot of cases is reviewers request games they’re interested in, but this can lead to some games being left behind. But there needs to be a review written for it, so they end up being forced on a reviewer who might not be into that kind of game. This leads to half-hearted reviews that end up being generally negative and ignorant of the appeal.

Yeah, sometimes I'll jump on something that's been passed around for a week or two.

19 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Reminds me of how on IGN several DS RPGs got really mediocre reviews when the games themselves were praised by fans and other reviewers. Turns out the people who had to play said games had no interest in RPGs anyway and were handed the review just because.

19 hours ago, eal said:

To be fair, I think this only happened to Dragon Quest VI, and they were right in retrospect. I was sold on IV and V exclusively based on IGN reviews, and I watched the IX review multiple times because I was so hyped for it.

This brings up two sides of an interesting argument. 

There is the tendency toward being unfairly positive in a review due to already having a pre-disposition to like (As I would probably be with any DQ game)

And then there could be unfair negativity toward games a reviewer has always disliked. 

This brings it back to me enjoying reading both professional and amateur reviews and taking them all into account, and further, actually finding reviews with hearty content, as opposed to just looking at the score.

Funny how these threads can take off sometimes XD

• Like 1

I think DQ7 is pretty good but it does have a couple of issues.  I find the story to be quite good but the game is very long and with the way the game is structured it can be easy to start burning out on it by the end.  It is worth playing if you really enjoy the series but I wouldn't recommend it as a good starting point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
18 hours ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:
Here's my villain tier list:
662080793_dqvillains.png.0487c33022ff86562d04550fca613b73.png

DQ2isGood, but not it's Villans?

Malroth is a non-character IMO. He literally only shows up at the very end after you kill Hargon and the only reference to his existence beforehand is an key item named after him.

Hargon himself is slightly better as he's a bit of more an "active" villain because of the scene where Moonbrooke is destroyed but I find him totally incoherent otherwise. I literally had no idea what his endgoal even was until I looked it up on the wiki yesterday.

Screenshot_20200704-035530.thumb.png.be8bb3f245f31ea847434579d7449c22.png

I hardly remember his cult being mentioned at all and I even forgot his name at some point.

https://tiermaker.com/

What's your tier list @Plattym3?

Edited by DragonQuest2IsGood
  • Like 1