Posted (edited)

I wanna play DQ4 on PSX since that's the best version of the game. I understand kana very well and I know some basic kanji but I was wondering what is some essential vocab for playing DQ games? Other than たたかう、まほう、アイテム、 and enemy names that is.

Edited by DragonQuest2IsGood

Posted (edited)

What you're really asking (whether you know it or not) is "are there any easy ways to get around not knowing the Japanese language"?  Unfortunately, I only know one, besides resources like Jisho.org (an English to Japanese dictionary), Google Translate, and other Internet tools.

Basically, you should learn to read, and recognize, Katakana.  It's one of two alphabet sets (the other being "Hiragana"), and it's basically a rip-off of our English alphabet.  As such, it's used for transcribing English words.  For example, look at this chart...

https://kanaquest.com/lessons/?l=intro-to-katakana

And learn to recognize what English words they spell out.  パーワ, for example, is pronounced POWA, and... means "Power". グー is pronounced "goo", and... means "goo".  ラ  is pronounced "Ra" (as in the "Mirror of Ra").  

You get what I mean.  However, some English words will take more flexible thinking than others, due to how Japanese is missing some letters, and is (mostly) limited to two-letter combinations.  For example, ジャグラー is pronounced "JA - GU -RA"... Say that real fast, and it becomes "Juggler".  サンダー is pronounced "SA - N - DA"... which means "Thunder". 

Do NOT try this for your spells, however!  The Japanese names... are nonsense.  They are not real words in any language.  They're silly even compared to the modern English terms (which are at least named after cartoon sound-effects).  ホイミ (HOIMI) means "Heal", ザキ (ZAKI) means "Beat/Whack", ギラ (GIRA) means "Fireball/Sizzle", ルラ (RURA) means "Return/Zoom", スカラ (SUKARA) means "Increase/Kabuff"... And etc.  Again, none of these are real words, so don't try to make sense of them.  You need to look these up, or use them and see what they do.

Apart from that... You're just going to have to accept that you'll be looking up new terms every five minutes, for a while at least.  Still, I'll do you a solid and give you a list of symbols to copy and paste:

KATAKANA (The "English" letters):

ア - A     イ - I    ウ - U      エ - E    オ - O

ァ - Small A ィ - Small I ゥ - Small U ェ - Small E ォ - Small O

ハ - HA ヒ - HI フ - HU & FU ヘ - HE ホ - HO 

バ - BA ビ - BI  ブ - BU           ベ - BE ボ - BO 

パ - PA ピ - PI  プ - PU      ペ - PE ポ - PO

カ - KA キ - KI  ク - KU ケ - KE  コ - KO 

ガ - GA ギ - GI  グ - GU ゲ - GE ゴ - GO

サ - SA シ - SHI ス - SU セ - SE  ソ - SO

ザ - ZA ジ - JI  ズ - ZU ゼ - ZE   ゾ - ZO

マ - MA   ミ - MI  ム - MU   メ - ME モ - MO

ナ - NA ニ - NI   ヌ - NU   ネ - NE ノ - NO

ラ - RA  リ - RI   ル - RU レ - RE ロ - RO

ヤ - YA       ユ - YU     ヨ - YO

ダ - TA            デ - TE ド - TO

ダ - DA           デ - DE ド - DO

ワ - WA      

チ - CHI

ン - N 

ツ - TSU 

ッ - Small TSU

HIRAGANA (The "Japanese" letters):

あ - A い - I う - U え - E お - O ん - N つ - TSU 

ぁ - Small A ぃ - Small I ぅ- Small U ぇ - Small E ぉ - Small O

は - HA ひ - HI ふ - HU & FU へ - HE ほ - HO 

ば - BA び - BI ぶ - BU      べ - BE ぼ - BO 

ぱ - PA ぴ - PI ぷ - PU       ぺ - PE ぽ - PO

か - KA き - KI く - KU  け - KE こ - KO 

だ - GA ぎ - GI ぐ - GU げ - GE ご - GO

さ - SA し - SHI す - SU せ - SE そ - SO

ざ - ZA じ -JI      ず - ZU ぜ - ZE ぞ - ZO

ま - MA み - MI む - MU め - ME も - MO

な - NA  に - NI ぬ - NU  ね - NE の - NO

ら - RA り - RI  る - RU れ - RE ろ - RO

や - YA     ゆ - YU      よ - YO

た - TA          て - TE  と - TO

だ - DA          で - DE ど - DO

わ - WA      

を - CHI

ん - N 

つ - TSU 

っ - Small TSU

KANJI ("Symbols that represent various Japanase words")

...Nope, sorry.  No easy answers for this one.  Dragon Quest doesn't use TOO many of these, since it was made for kids.  But for reference, they look sort of like this:

必要水曜日材素早攻撃参加逃兵庫県

Edited by FionordeQuester

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, FionordeQuester said:

What you're really asking (whether you know it or not) is "are there any easy ways to get around not knowing the Japanese language"?  Unfortunately, I only know one, besides resources like Jisho.org (an English to Japanese dictionary), Google Translate, and other Internet tools.

Basically, you should learn to read, and recognize, Katakana.  It's one of two alphabet sets (the other being "Hiragana"), and it's basically a rip-off of our English alphabet.  As such, it's used for transcribing English words.  For example, look at this chart...

I know hiragana and katakana. I just wanna know some useful words for expanding my vocab to play DQ easier.

Posted (edited)

Make sure not to quote an entire post if it's really long, and your answer is short.  Select the most relevant bits, and new readers will have a much easier time entering the thread.

In any case, here's some vocabulary off the top of my head.

EQUIPMENT TYPES (notice how all the weapons start with the same letter):

つるぎ - Sword

つえ - Staff/Rod/Cane/etc.

つめ - Claw (spelled with Katakana for some weapons... Dunno why)

よろい - Armour

ふく - Cloak

たて - Shield

ぼうし - Helmet

うでわ - Bracer/Armband/Bracelet

EQUIPMENT MODIFIERS:

かわ - Leather

きの - Wooden

うろこ - Scale

てつ - Iron

はがね - Steel

STATS (in Kanji):

カ - Strength Stat

早 - Agility Stat

守 - Resilience Stat

賢 - Wisdom Stat

運 - Luck Stat

STATS (in Hiragana):

ちから - Power

すばやさ - Agility

まもり - Resilience

しんこう - Wisdom

いのち - Life

ふしぎなき - Mystery/Magic

COMMON ITEMS:

たね - Seed

きのみ - Fruit, nut, berry, acorn, etc.

そう - Herb

きのみ - Fruit, nut, berry, acorn, etc.

やく - Medicine (やくそう is "Medicinal Herb")

どくけし - Antidote (どくけしそう is "Antidotal Herb")

まんげつ - Full Moon (まんげつそう is "Full Moon Herb")

SPELL NAMING CONVENTIONS:

メラ - Frizz

ギラ - Sizz

イオ - Bang

ヒャド - Crack

バギ - Woosh

ライデイン - Zap (it's literally just the Japanese word for lightning, but in Katakana)

ザキ - Whack

ニフラム - Poof

ホイミ - Heal

ラリホー - Snooze

メダパニ - Fuddle

マヌサ - Dazzle

ルカニ - Sap

マホトラ - Drain Magic (one of the few names with a basis in actual words.  マホ・まほ means "Magic")

バイキルト - Oomph (It's "Bikill", but with a random "t" in the middle... I don't get it either)

スカラ - Buff

ピオリム - Acceleratle

ホイミ - Heal

キアリー - Squelch (キアー can be used to say "Cure"... but the rest is nonsense)

キアリク - Tingle ( (キアー can be used to say "Cure"... but the rest is nonsense))

ザオ - Zing

メガザル - Kerplunk (Fun fact; Google Translate keeps translating this as "Mega Monkey", for reasons you'd only get if you knew Japanese :P !)

ルラ - Zoom

リレミト - Evac

ザメハ - Cock-a-doodle-doo

• Like 1

Ok here's what I understand of the story:

・Sofia (The hero) meets some frog that's actually a princess named Cynthia that can transform at all and is cursed.

・Sofia goes home and eats dinner with her family

・The story then shifts to this knight named Ryan who has to save some kids or some #$*!.

That's all I got so far.

Posted (edited)

Ok so Ryan has to save some guy named Alex from prison. How do I do this? Does anyone know of a guide?

...Are you sure you don't wish to just play the DS or iOS?  The localizers really did do a good job with the script, apart from sometimes going a bit far in a few places (which got better by VI, anyway).

Anyway, talk to a guy in prison in the next town (that's Alex), then go back to Burland to talk to a woman that's near the lower-left house.  That's his wife, and she'll activate the next sequence trigger.  For the rest, read this:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/530937-dragon-quest-iv/faqs/16712

• Upvote 1

欠 を 食べる - Pronounced "ketsu wo taberu." This is an essential greeting in conversational Japanese. If you learn nothing else, learn this. You'll get nowhere without it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

Does anyone know of a guide?

Plenty of guides for the other versions of the game you could use. They will just have different names.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FionordeQuester said:

...Are you sure you don't wish to just play the DS or iOS?  The localizers really did do a good job with the script, apart from sometimes going a bit far in a few places (which got better by VI, anyway).

Anyway, talk to a guy in prison in the next town (that's Alex), then go back to Burland to talk to a woman that's near the lower-left house.  That's his wife, and she'll activate the next sequence trigger.  For the rest, read this:

I heard the translators added really bad accents and party chat was removed.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

Only for the DS.  The Mobile versions put Party Chat back in, though the accents are still there.  Even so, it's better than the NES, which didn't even have space for the full script, and mistranslated parts of what they DID put in.

For example, "Sword of Malice".  That one had the exact opposite meaning in the original Japanese.  It's more like "Sword of Evil's Bane" or "Sword of Retribution".  At least with "Cautery Sword", the change was probably intentional.  I would've called it "Erinyes' Edge", if I wanted to be faithful & stick to Alpha Plus' naming conventions... 

But "Cautery Sword" works fine for what it is: A mid-tier sword that shoots flames.

14 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Plenty of guides for the other versions of the game you could use. They will just have different names.

Some plot triggers are also different between the NES, and the Remakes.

14 hours ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

Party chat is present on the Mobile port as well as the Japanese DS version. 

As for the "bad accents"... I dinnae know what ye're talking aboot. They did add accents to the game, t'make it feel like a more diverse world, I guess? But these accents being bad or good is purely subjective. I personally think they're great and contribute to the game being absolutely brilliant. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2020 at 6:31 AM, FionordeQuester said:

Ok so I'm finally playing through this part and I actually understand some of the dialogue. It was funny. The game as a whole is pretty funny.

Ok so Ryan meets Flair, the wife of Alex and they go to see him in the jail. Flair tries to talk to Alex but Alex doesn't understand. So Flair has to do pafupafu in order for him to recongnize her again. Alex is now saying the kids are in the woods just southeast of Imul, the village where this exchange happens.

• Like 1

What? She had to Puff Puff him!? Haha, that's great.

Hey honey, um who are you again? Maybe if you could, uh, you know, I'd remember you.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

What? She had to Puff Puff him!? Haha, that's great.

Hey honey, um who are you again? Maybe if you could, uh, you know, I'd remember you. emoji7.pngemoji8.png

The scene happens here: 

I think in the NES version she just slapped him.