What are some Japanese names for characters, objects, and locations you prefer over the official English ones?

Hassan > Carver

Rand > Buddy

Roto > Erdrick (Still a cool name though)

Kandata > Robbin' 'Ood (WTF is this name)

Flora > Nera

Hey this looks like a cool idea for a thread. I guess I'll-

4 hours ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

Roto > Erdrick

4 hours ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

Roto > Erdrick

Get. Out.

• Upvote 1

No. No. No. That name has too many sh1tty connotations.

Flora forever though! 1966bec682631bcb3c694d712ee0fc2c.jpg

Brey >>>> Boringya
Cristo >>>>> Makes me want to Kryill someone

I'd complain about some DQVI names, but... I don't care about DQVI

DQVI? I disagree with every single name change but Milly (which is hardly a change at all).

• Like 1

Milayou>Milly

Flora>Nera

Roto>Erdrick

Battlemaster>Gladiator  (At least it is Battlemaster in Dragon Quest of the Stars)

Dream Camisole>Skimpy Nightie

God Hand>Champion

Hassan>Carver

Laura> Most recent USA name

Rhone to Rendarak was the worst change they've made.

Very stupid change, yes.

4 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
6 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Very stupid change, yes.

Unnecessary but not stupid. Rendarak is closer to the Japanese name.

• Like 1

Unnecessary but not stupid. Rendarak is closer to the Japanese name.
Then, understandable. But localization doesn't always mean just translation. I'm completely in favor of everyone just being Joe, Frank, Molly, and Jane in DQ games (hell, it's what I used to name them back in the day). Round Cavern or whatever is fine to me too, I don't need literal translations or stylized names. Haha. I just played 40+ hours of Tokyo Mirage Sessions and if you pressed me for 1 single name or location, I couldn't tell you a thing. 5bca3301c72e95f82ca74c287680f055.jpg

7 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

They changed it to Rendarak? I never even noticed. Is that present in the Switch and mobile translations for DQ2?

28 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Then, understandable. But localization doesn't always mean just translation. I'm completely in favor of everyone just being Joe, Frank, Molly, and Jane in DQ games (hell, it's what I used to name them back in the day). Round Cavern or whatever is fine to me too, I don't need literal translations or stylized names. Haha. I just played 40+ hours of Tokyo Mirage Sessions and if you pressed me for 1 single name or location, I couldn't tell you a thing. 5bca3301c72e95f82ca74c287680f055.jpg

I have it where if I learn the name of someone or something but then it’s changed at some point, I stick with the older name. It’s why I still use stuff like Gabo, Aira, Deathmore, and Muduo instead of Ruff, Aishe, Mortamor, and Murdaw.

Have the same thing with the Zelda series. As a kid I couldn’t see that well, so when it came to a race of creatures with a lot of presence in the N64 games, the Deku, I misread it as “Duka,” (said like doo-kah) and have always called them that. When I got glasses and realized it wasn’t spelled the way I saw it before, my brain still wanted to call them Duka instead of Deku. To this day I still call them the Duka! Haha

• Like 1

I still say it's dumb. Rhone is iconic to the series. When fans refer to a difficult part of the game, they mention Rhone. Should we strive for fidelity in translations when localizing new content? Yes, absolutely. But Rhone was already embedded in the franchise as a well established name. They didn't change Erdrick to Roto in the mobile ports for this same reason, but yet felt it appropriate to change Rhone?

I don't get it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

I still say it's dumb. Rhone is iconic to the series. When fans refer to a difficult part of the game, they mention Rhone. Should we strive for fidelity in translations when localizing new content? Yes, absolutely. But Rhone was already embedded in the franchise as a well established name. They didn't change Erdrick to Roto in the mobile ports for this same reason, but yet felt it appropriate to change Rhone?

I don't get it.

So that’s a yes to them changing it in the mobile version. Weird. I must have missed where it was name changed, because I assumed it was still called Rhone.

So that’s a yes to them changing it in the mobile version. Weird. I must have missed where it was name changed, because I assumed it was still called Rhone.
Correct. I remember when on DQ FM@professorbeej and Austin were discussing it. I kept thinking WTF were they talking about. I breezed through DQ2 on mobile and didn't even notice.

But yeah, it was changed. Likely we didn't notice because we maybe didn't talk to NPCs for direction or read a sign...

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Correct. I remember when on DQ FM@professorbeej and Austin were discussing it. I kept thinking WTF were they talking about. I breezed through DQ2 on mobile and didn't even notice.

But yeah, it was changed. Likely we didn't notice because we maybe didn't talk to NPCs for direction or read a sign... emoji2369.png

The name Rendarak sounds kind of familiar. Maybe I read it at some point but never associated it as it replacing the Rhône name, but I could be remembering wrong too. Next time I replay DQ2 on my phone or on the Switch I’ll try and remember to keep an eye open for it.

It definitely flew right over my head, that’s for sure!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

On 5/21/2020 at 9:34 AM, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

Flora > Nera

This, as well as Andy > Crispin :V

At the moment, don't really know of any others. :P

Posted (edited)

There are only three I can really think of...

1) はじゃのつるぎ 「"Wicked Breaking Sword"」 vs Sword of Malice & Cautery Sword. 

The NES translators looked at it and though "evil sword that breaks things", instead of "sword that breaks the wicked"...and Alpha Plus changed it completely.  Going by their conventions, it should've been something like "Sword of Retribution" [NES] or "Erinyes' Edge" [Remakes].

2) ミルドアース 「Mildorth」 vs Mirudraas & Nimzo. 

Once again, it's a case where the old English name was incorrect, and the new English name was completely different.  Admittedly, it's hard to tell WHAT exactly the original name was supposed to be... For example, "Mildoors", "Mildarth", "Mildars", "Mildass", "Milderth", and "Mildearth" are also correct on a technical level... But it sure as heck isn't "Mirudraas" (or "Mildrath", for that matter).  It would've been spelled ミルドラース, if that was the case.

3) パパス 「Papas」 vs Pankraz. 

I've no clue what Alpha Plus was thinking when they took this pun OUT of the game.  I mean, the DQ5 Hero had a mother named "Mada", and they localized the Hero's name as "Madason" in DQ6... So why not leave it be?  Doing nothing was literally the best choice they coulda made, especially when they're usually all about the puns.

Edited by FionordeQuester
  • Like 1