Liamland

Dragon Quest X: Which platform is best?

With the newly released All-in-one versions 1-5, I'm at another point where I want to make sure I have the latest version, for when I eventually try this out.

In your opinions, Which version is superior and why?

PS4 has one stand-out flaw of forcing you to pay extra for all character slots even if you only use one. I remember reading that here, at some point in the past. Is the Switch version the same way? I know the PC you just buy what characters you use.

Are the graphics on Switch significantly worse than PS4 and PC and does it noticeably hinder your enjoyment?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

• Upvote 1

Graphics are essentially a non-issue since the game is so old, at this point it's more whatever you feel most comfortable playing on. PC is probably the best, then Switch, then PS4. PC has more customization and in my opinion tends to run better. Switch makes it easier to type and the Joycons are easier to hold (for me) than a PS4 controller. PS4 is last just because of the extra hassle involved with getting a JP account compared to on the Switch. If you end up changing your mind, you can buy another version and keep playing from where you were anyway, so it's not like it's set it stone that you absolutely have to pick just one. 

• Upvote 1

The graphics between Switch and PC, at least, look indiscernible to me. Switch has the obvious pro of being handheld. To me, pointing my phone at the Switch screen for translations is way easier than getting up and walking over to my TV every few seconds.

But for an American, paying on Switch is way easier because you can buy Yen eshop points from PlayAsia.

Edit: The Switch doesn't force you to take all character slots. That's only the PS4 version, as far as I'm aware.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My concern is that my PC is either a work PC or an old PC. I doubt I'd even be able to install it on the work machine because it's so riddled with admin pw-prompts.

I have versions 1-3 for PS4, but when Cranberry and Nawaria talked about having to pay extra for character slots you don't need (just for the PS4 version) it made me second guess it. I don't have a Switch, but we are planning on getting one once they're available again. Maybe it's worth investing in that version.

How's the typing on Switch for the group chat, Aust? Are you able to plug in a keyboard or Japanese keyboard via a USB slot?

I know you can essentially chat in English (via the Romaji alphabet) according to Twitch streams.

My concern is that my PC is either a work PC or an old PC. I doubt I'd even be able to install it on the work machine because it's so riddled with admin pw-prompts.
I have versions 1-3 for PS4, but when Cranberry and Nawaria talked about having to pay extra for character slots you don't need (just for the PS4 version) it made me second guess it. I don't have a Switch, but we are planning on getting one once they're available again. Maybe it's worth investing in that version.
You mean password prompts that you don't have admin rights for?

It was originally a Wii game so the graphics aren't all that demanding. That said, I don't know what the min reqs are specifically.

Switch does seem to be the preferred version these days if you don't live in an area that needs a VPN.

3 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

You mean password prompts that you don't have admin rights for?

It was originally a Wii game so the graphics aren't all that demanding. That said, I don't know what the min reqs are specifically.

Switch does seem to be the preferred version these days if you don't live in an area that needs a VPN.

I can test out the PC version the next time I social-distance-visit my parent, to see if it will install. I have version 1 for PC, and versions 1-3 for PS4. I would prefer the Switch version, but I'll have to wait for that. Things are about to get busy soon. I'm just trying to plan for trying this out within this year.

Thanks for all the info.

I can test out the PC version the next time I social-distance-visit my parent, to see if it will install. I have version 1 for PC, and versions 1-3 for PS4. I would prefer the Switch version, but I'll have to wait for that. Things are about to get busy soon. I'm just trying to plan for trying this out within this year.
Thanks for all the info.
No problem!

Just saw the question about typing.

Typing on the Switch touchscreen is...not always easy, but it works. It is possible to use a USB keyboard but only while the Switch is in docked mode. So usually when I know I'm going to be playing with friends and typing a lot then I'll play on the TV.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Liamland said:

With the newly released All-in-one versions 1-5, I'm at another point where I want to make sure I have the latest version, for when I eventually try this out.

In your opinions, Which version is superior and why?

PS4 has one stand-out flaw of forcing you to pay extra for all character slots even if you only use one. I remember reading that here, at some point in the past. Is the Switch version the same way? I know the PC you just buy what characters you use.

Are the graphics on Switch significantly worse than PS4 and PC and does it noticeably hinder your enjoyment?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Let me tell you my experience.

I have been looking to play DQX for years, but between work, study and real life stuff I hadn't time before to try it.

Last year when SE finally lifted the IP ban for U.S (that was another issue that keeps me away of this game to be honest) I was definitely interested on finally try it, but my dad got really sick and passed away on November last year...

After a few months passed and now with the Covid-19 quarantine I have a little more free time and since the U.S IP ban is still lifted, I really wanted to play it before another thing happens and wouldn't let me to try it.

So since I already have a Nintendo Switch I looked out how to set up a Japanese eShop account and a Japaness SE account, which by the way was easier than I expected. After that I linked my U.S Paypal account to the Japanese eShop which fortunately worked and I downloaded the free trial.

I have been playing DQX for the last 2 weeks on Nintendo Switch either on dock or handheld modes and let me tell you I didn't regreat to play it on this console.

Not just that but since I was able to link my U.S Paypal account to my Japanese eShop, I was able to buy the All in One Vesion 1-5 directly from the eShop and even though SE gives you 20 free days to play the full version, I also was able to buy with my U.S Paypal account an extra 30 days ticket for 1,000 yen ($9.28) directly from the DQX Nintendo Switch menu without having to deal with buying Japanese eShop cards from PlayAsia or that annoying Crysta or Japanese credit card issues and I can create up to 3 characters with that ticket. Of course they also have more expensive tickets if you want to buy 60 or 90 days or more characters but that's up to you since nor Nintendo or SE force you to do that (like happens with Sony on the PS4 version).

Last but not least important, if you play it on the Nintendo Switch, you can type in game connecting a wired or wireless usb keyboard on dock mode (I have a wireless/solar charging Logitech usb keyboard that I bought a few years ago to play FFXIV on my PS4), and if you want to type when you playing on handheld mode, you always can use the virtual keyboard or buy a cheap Type-C to USB cable to connect you keyboard from the charge input.

So if you live outside Japan the Nintendo Switch version is the easiest way to play and pay for DQX.

Edited by Tenshi2701
  • Like 1

From my experience, the PC version is the best version if you have decent enough specs; really depends on your setup. Plays nice with a PS4 controller too. I used to play the PC version, but I switched to the Nintendo Switch version because I don't have two monitors on my computer and I often look at guides and google translate for certain things. I also love the pro controller and playing on a bigger screen. The switch version probably has the lowest FPS compared to PC and PS4, but it isn't that bad. I think PS4 has slightly better FPS. PC always felt like 60 FPS, but I think it can go much higher than that.

So, PS4 vs. Switch. Which is better? Like I said earlier, PS4 has slightly better FPS. But I don't think you can plug in a keyboard to the PS4 like you can with switch. It's all a matter of preference. I think it is really fun on the switch.

Hope that helped you out in some way. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks everyone. If I start on PC and want to change to either PS4, Switch, or vice versa is that possible?

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone. If I start on PC and want to change to either PS4, Switch, or vice versa is that possible?

Yes. You log into a Square Enix account regardless of which system you're on. There are people playing with characters they made back in the Wii days.

You would need to purchase the game and its expansions on the new system though. This game is a money vampire.

Edit: I own all versions on Switch, but on PC I'm signed up for the trial which only goes through v2. So if I play on Switch and then log off in an area that is post v2 then I cannot log into my character on PC.

That makes sense. So here's what I have already:

• PC: Version 1 (and possibly 2? I have to double-check)
  • PS4: Version 1-3
  • Switch: Version 1-5 (I just ordered it, and I don't have a Switch yet.)

By the time I'm done with version 1 and possibly 2 I should have the Switch console. But I still need to check to see if my PC will run the game.

Can you stop paying a subscription and start again later without losing your character or progress?

That makes sense. So here's what I have already:
  • PC: Version 1 (and possibly 2? I have to double-check)
  • PS4: Version 1-3
  • Switch: Version 1-5 (I just ordered it, and I don't have a Switch yet.)
By the time I'm done with version 1 and possibly 2 I should have the Switch console. But I still need to check to see if my PC will run the game.
Can you stop paying a subscription and start again later without losing your character or progress?
Yep, there's no danger in your character being deleted if you leave for years at a time. I think the only thing you can potentially lose is any housing you might own. Since housing areas are limited, they will revoke your property ownership if you haven't logged in for a while (your house is just an item in your inventory that you drop down on a lot, so I'm not sure if it goes back to your inventory or disappears into the aether). I went to Saigan's old address recently and noticed that it's gone. I don't know what the timeframe is for that, but I know that Saigan has not logged in like 4 years.

All physical Switch copies of the game are just a cardboard box with a download code inside. It's fine to display on a shelf, but disappointing if you like having a cartridge version.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

All physical Switch copies of the game are just a cardboard box with a download code inside. It's fine to display on a shelf, but disappointing if you like having a cartridge version.

Honestly it's kinda weird/stupid if you ask me that SE/Nintendo think on "physical" with a cardboard box with a download code inside...

They should give you a cartridge if you buy it physical or just limit to sell it as a digital download.

I play on switch. I started with the PC version, but moved onto the switch after 20 hours in. I still use the PC version once in a while to grab a quick screencap.

Here's my current DQX collection. I recently got the v1-v5 for the PC since I already had 1-5 on the switch and want to show it off in my upcoming video review.

image0.jpg

• Upvote 1

Oh dang. It's not a cart? I was hoping to have a physical copy. Isn't that a huge amount of game data for internal storage on the Switch? 

Oh dang. It's not a cart? I was hoping to have a physical copy. Isn't that a huge amount of game data for internal storage on the Switch? 
Indeed it is. I want to say 20 GB at least.
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Liamland said:

20200520_145113.jpg

You could always try the PC trial version first if you are unsure how well your PC can handle it.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Liamland said:

Mine is 18GB

On 5/20/2020 at 8:28 AM, AustNerevar said:

Yes. You log into a Square Enix account regardless of which system you're on. There are people playing with characters they made back in the Wii days.

You would need to purchase the game and its expansions on the new system though. This game is a money vampire.

Edit: I own all versions on Switch, but on PC I'm signed up for the trial which only goes through v2. So if I play on Switch and then log off in an area that is post v2 then I cannot log into my character on PC.

Likely you've never run into this issue, but maybe you have some advice on the fix.  I started playing on the Switch, but wanted to move my game to my Switch Lite.  I transferred over my Nintendo user data using the Switch's system of doing so, but when I went to log in I got an error message.

I haven't signed up for a SE account yet, could that perhaps be the solution to making sure I can play it on my 2nd Switch?

Goldy.jpg

Likely you've never run into this issue, but maybe you have some advice on the fix.  I started playing on the Switch, but wanted to move my game to my Switch Lite.  I transferred over my Nintendo user data using the Switch's system of doing so, but when I went to log in I got an error message.

I haven't signed up for a SE account yet, could that perhaps be the solution to making sure I can play it on my 2nd Switch?

Goldy.thumb.jpg.7796f94a427221eff4bef6d2df3fc401.jpg

So you were playing without an SE account? I think they call that a guest account. I have no idea how you would carry over character data that way, then. Sorry.

3 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
27 minutes ago, GoldyloX said:
Goldy.thumb.jpg.7796f94a427221eff4bef6d2df3fc401.jpg

So you were playing without an SE account? I think they call that a guess account. I have no idea how you would carry over character data that way, then. Sorry.

Yes. I just followed along with Austin of the Dragon Quest FM's suggestions: https://geektogeekmedia.com/geekery/dragonquestaustin/how-to-play-dragon-quest-x-in-america-on-nintendo-switch-for-free/