Actually I got the DQVIII demo from an issue of the North American Shonen Jump magazine.  I hadn't even heard of DQ until I got that disc (great beginnings I know).  It was Fall 2005, a few months before DQVIII's release and there were interviews with Horii in the magazine.  

In regards to all the history I mentioned, I'm trying my best to document all of the missing DQ stuff I can possibly find.  I've got a folder on my harddrive called DQArchive.  I'm looking to find manga scans, books, betas, art work, commercials, TV Spots, press conferences, interviews with Horii and staff, pictures of Horii and Sugiyama, fanart, magazine scans, game guides, rom hacks, and more.  Its a slow process.  One thing I've realized is that there is a lot of official DQ art that is exclusive to Japanese game guides, but that would require buying them and importing them from Japan, plus scanning.  If anyone has some it'd be helpful.

Wow so DQVI was translated... I had no idea about that.  That would be a treasure to have, especially since the fan translation isn't exactly perfect.

Actually I got the DQVIII demo from an issue of the North American Shonen Jump magazine.  I hadn't even heard of DQ until I got that disc (great beginnings I know).  It was Fall 2005, a few months before DQVIII's release and there were interviews with Horii in the magazine.  
In regards to all the history I mentioned, I'm trying my best to document all of the missing DQ stuff I can possibly find.  I've got a folder on my harddrive called DQArchive.  I'm looking to find manga scans, books, betas, art work, commercials, TV Spots, press conferences, interviews with Horii and staff, pictures of Horii and Sugiyama, fanart, magazine scans, game guides, rom hacks, and more.  Its a slow process.  One thing I've realized is that there is a lot of official DQ art that is exclusive to Japanese game guides, but that would require buying them and importing them from Japan, plus scanning.  If anyone has some it'd be helpful.
Wow so DQVI was translated... I had no idea about that.  That would be a treasure to have, especially since the fan translation isn't exactly perfect.
I think I remember this. Jump was also my introduction to DQ.

For years I've had this hazy memory of playing a DQ demo for PS2 but I could never confirm whether a demo for 8 existed or not. If it shipped with Shonen Jump then I definitely played it as I had a subscription to that magazine and one of the articles within was my first introduction to Dragon Quest.
Did you guys get the demo before the game came out?
Giving out a demo for a game you pre-ordered as an incentive to pre-order sounds backwards since you generally pre-order a game because you know you want to play it, and a demo is a way to get potential buyers interested.
It was 2004. George Bush won, Reagan died, 4 hurricanes smashed Florida, the Red Sox came back to beat the Yankees after being down 0-3. It was a weird time.
2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

the Red Sox came back to beat the Yankees after being down 0-3. It was a weird time.

I still remember being allowed to skip class to go to the only classroom that seemed to have TV to watch one of those games. I remember the Commissioner’s Trophy making a stop by my elementary school too.

• Like 1
I still remember being allowed to skip class to go to the only classroom that seemed to have TV to watch one of those games. I remember the Commissioner’s Trophy making a stop by my elementary school too.
2004?
Your elementary school?
Holy cow, I could have been your teacher!
29 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

2004?
Your elementary school?
Holy cow, I could have been your teacher!

The way I track my education all these years later is that I started a grade in the year that ended with the new grade. So in late 2004, I was in 4th grade, I started my Senior year of high school in 2012, etc. It’s actually been a very helpful way for me to chart events. I can quickly recall Dragon Quest came out in 2005 because I got it for Christmas in 5th grade.

• Like 1
The way I track my education all these years later is that I started a grade in the year that ended with the new grade. So in late 2004, I was in 4th grade, I started my Senior year of high school in 2012, etc. It’s actually been a very helpful way for me to chart events. I can quickly recall Dragon Quest came out in 2005 because I got it for Christmas in 5th grade.
My 1st year of teaching was the spring of 2001 (a double-major had me take 4.5 years), so I get the easy counting. Today I finished my 20th year teaching.
18 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
21 minutes ago, eal said:

My 1st year of teaching was the spring of 2001 (a double-major had me take 4.5 years), so I get the easy counting. Today I finished my 20th year teaching.

I think the first time someone starts to notice their age beyond the confines of grades in school is when the students that were Freshmen in the year they graduated are now graduating. I hit that milestone a while ago, so the one that got me recently was that from here on every graduating class was born after 9/11. My brain still defaults “20 years ago” to the 1990s, and I have to remind myself we’re in the 2020s now.

I think the first time someone starts to notice their age beyond the confines of grades in school is when the students that were Freshmen in the year they graduated are now graduating. I hit that milestone a while ago, so the one that got me recently was that from here on every graduating class was born after 9/11. My brain still defaults “20 years ago” to the 1990s, and I have to remind myself we’re in the 2020s now.
What do you mean? 20 years ago was the 80s.
  • Like 1
In 2004 I was a sophomore in high school.
  • 5 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 2:43 PM, Erdrick The Hero said:

I'm surprised to hear there was a DQ8 demo. How/why have I never heard of this before?!

I want to play Dragon Warrior V.

It was given away with an issue of Shonen Jump in 2005. Relatively inexpensive to own as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PS2-Dragon-Quest-VIII-Journey-of-the-Cursed-King-DEMO-DISC/124143074837?hash=item1ce780fe15:g:u~8AAOSwbWpeh6Mt

On 5/17/2020 at 8:22 PM, Sackchief said:

Yeah there's definitely holes in DQ's recorded history online.  So much stuff we don't know and have access to its honestly sad considering how other fanbases have almost ever little scrap of information on their games accounted for.  The DQ wiki needs a big overhaul honestly.  While I haven't found anything DQIV related, I have managed to track down a beta/prototype for Dragon Warrior VII PS1.  

https://hiddenpalace.org/Dragon_Warrior_VII_(Sep_14,_2001_prototype)

I have not tested it yet, but it released September 2001.  I can't imagine it being too different, but its worth taking a look at, maybe I'll burn it to a disc later.

I can't notice any differences at cursory glance. But it's completely compatible with my save files from the release version.

For whatever reason, even though Pete's OGL2 plugin (which doesn't work properly on modern hardware) solved it years ago, modern PS1 emulators struggle to display graphics properly in DQ7. I couldn't get the prototype running.

29 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

For whatever reason, even though Pete's OGL2 plugin (which doesn't work properly on modern hardware) solved it years ago, modern PS1 emulators struggle to display graphics properly in DQ7. I couldn't get the prototype running.

Worked for me on pSX

Concerning the DQ8 demo, people were able to get it in the US by pre-ordering from... GameStop, I believe. It may have still been Babbage's at that point, but the mall I used to frequent has been demolished for years now. 🤷‍♂️ Hard to remember such a small detail. In any event, Canada didn't initially have access to the demo so I sent mine to a guy in Canada (strangely I remember his real name, but can't remember what his username on SlimeKnights was). After a couple of weeks the demo was made available to Canada via SlimeKnights.

• Like 1