aerynb

DQIX Sprite Ripping

Hello again Den,

I rolled the dice and the next game to play came up DQ IX. I'm typing up text while I play -- 'cause I'm the gamescript girl -- and also 'cause I'm stupid and I didn't download Tom-Servo's text dumps before his site went down. (He has a bunch of links in this thread that are all dead now.) :cry2: If anyone happens to have them, could you hook a girl up?

Anyway, I also tried to figure out how to rip sprites, 'cause screenshots on my emulator are rather ... unsharp. And after much google-searching I found this brilliant tutorial:overjoyed2:So after a little work last night and this morning, I have a few sprites to share with you good folks.

1609318798_celestrianguardianfemalebluehair.png.0ed4de7e66f2c7bc845cf0fe3e0ae023.png 1561675815_celestrianguardianmaleblond.png.c5bde4b4aa8c7bb6c4c9710bca8b77ff.png 2130214601_celestrianguardianmalebrown.png.d49f8d19552f65d4f94b14855b270cd1.png 383725776_celestrianrobefemalebrownbraids.png.79240cdcbc5d4e3292ab9da67127e9c8.png 1050066939_celestrianrobemalebrown.png.d1a211fcefb3ab8226a19770af4c4c12.png 1931355546_celestrianapprenticefemaleblond.png.90944aeb31091a133c013e9a9850eab0.png 1223722007_celestrianapprenticemalebrown.png.3aea8befdb95e48f9ec3574ebe4af584.png 929293187_celestrianboy.png.72b862942e527d38415f4a1564e68d02.png 186493423_celestriangirl.png.0a02098caf9c843d9a1c95a520e6a66d.png

What do you think? Don't they look pretty cool!?

• Like 2

Very nice!

Oooh, I've been trying to get hold of these for AGES. Any chance you could get all 8 directions, animated?

Maybe not animated, but I've got all 8 directions and most "walking" poses for nearly all the Celestrians. Hopefully you can animate if I get you the poses?

I'll have a long day of work tomorrow, but I'll get started tomorrow evening and try to have them done Tuesday or Wednesday. Most of the sprites have 8 pixels of their hair cut off and in their own image, so I use GIMP to put them back together.

2 hours ago, aerynb said:

Maybe not animated, but I've got all 8 directions and most "walking" poses for nearly all the Celestrians. Hopefully you can animate if I get you the poses?

I'll have a long day of work tomorrow, but I'll get started tomorrow evening and try to have them done Tuesday or Wednesday. Most of the sprites have 8 pixels of their hair cut off and in their own image, so I use GIMP to put them back together.

Oh yeah, what I meant by animated was just to get all the frames. I don't actually need them in an animated format, I can do that myself. Thank you so much!

Posted (edited)

Sounds good.

Do you want them on a sprite sheet? Right now I have them in individual .png files. It would be easier for you to download I guess on a sprite sheet, but then you'd probably have to separate them into individual files... though, I don't know why I'm even asking, as I'm not 100% sure how to get them on a sprite sheet yet. But... I bet I can figure it out.

Which sprites are you interested in? I have a post-game save from King Zenith where I went to all the Zoom locations and ripped a ton of forward-facing sprites, but the Observatory wasn't a Zoom location and for the life of me I can't remember how to get back, I almost feel like I've got a brand new game to play. :overjoyed2: So that's what I did, started a new save and decided to rip all the Celestrian poses I could get in the off chance I would want to do something with them. So, basically, are you interested in all the NPC sprites or just a subset?

Would you mind, in exchange, if you can... could you explain to me how the dqix save editor works? I've already got a cartridge game with 629 hours on it :whoa: and near 96% to 100% completion for most things Stella keeps track of, and, well... I am pretty reluctant to delete it. I have a second cartridge I bought to beef up the inn, but I could use it now for a second playthrough and not worry about DLC, DQVC, multiplayer and so forth. However, playing on my emulator is pretty convenient too, with the added advantage of the save editor, IF I can figure out how to use it.

EDIT: I think I found a YouTube video and gamefaqs post that explains what I need to do. I just need to decide how badly I want to cheat. ;)

Edited by aerynb
  • Like 1

EDIT: I think I found a YouTube video and gamefaqs post that explains what I need to do. I just need to decide how badly I want to cheat.

Badly.

You want to.

You really want to!

14 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Badly.

You want to.

You really want to!

:angel: I do really want to. :devil2:

I want to focus this playthrough on the story (and gamescripting) and so grinding for experience and gold will just take too much time. I found some experience tables last night, and what I think I will do is increase my experience points in the editor a few points below a level up, so that when I happen to run into a battle I'll be able to level up and gain stats normally, as if I had actually grinded up to that battle. I just don't know how to max out stats and such with the editor, so I think this gives me a way to still gain levels and see at least one of each monster in battle. The other thing I think I will do is take a look at the shops, figure out what I want to buy, then give myself that much gold in the editor. I still like shopping and getting better gear. I just have to seriously quell the completionist part of me.

My biggest fear right now is converting my normal .dsv saves that desmume generates into .sav saves that the editor works with. Exporting out of desmume doesn't work, but one youtuber said that you can just delete the .dsv part and replace it with .sav and it should be fine and dandy... though he was talking about Pokemon silver or something. I did a small test just increasing my gold from 70 to 75 and it seemed to work. I figure if I don't make too many sweeping changes, it should be just fine. 🤞

• Like 1

Cheat just enough that the game doesn't notice.