Hi Den,

I submitted my first guide to GameFAQs yesterday and it got accepted!!! *squee* https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/switch/272749-dragon-quest-ii-luminaries-of-the-legendary-line/faqs/78327

It's a comparison guide about the stat and name changes for DQ2, mostly our English versions on the NES, GBC, and iOS/Android/Nintendo Switch. I wade a little bit into the original FC version, but not so much for the SFC or its fan translations. A lot of stuff didn't change or you can find it in lists for specific versions, but I wanted to see a side-by-side comparison. I think the only really new information is probably the increased experience values for monsters in the iOS/Android/Switch versions. I didn't see them anywhere (English or Japanese websites) so I recorded them during my recent Switch playthrough (so much more fun than on my phone, god knows why).

• Like 4
Posted (edited)

Nicely done!

Not something you typically think of, but Dragon Quest 2 has only one actual Dragon!

Interesting to note the stat differences, and I never knew the FC original and NES versions had nearly the EXP difference they have.  They definitely made the iOS/Droid/PS4/3DS/Switch version the easiest of all.  I mean talk about streamlined and rebalanced, that's pretty heavy compared to the SFC and especially the GBC, let alone the NES.

Cool stuff, I rather enjoyed the FAQ.  There are more differences in specific damage and healing output, but that suffices (even differences in the output of certain spells when specific equipment is used in battle).  There's even a difference in the number of Seeds available of each type, though I have no clue on the iOS/Droid/PS4/3DS/Switch placement and availability, only the SFC and GBC:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/378081-dragon-warrior-i-and-ii/67500239

Edited by ignasia
Posted (edited)

Thanks, guys!

The 25th Anniversary Monster Encyclopedia lists the Vampirus / Dactyl monsters as dragon types and I actually found that kinda weird. But otherwise just one dragon... unless Malroth is some kind of evil demon-dragon god. *shrugs* Who knows.

I've gathered and compiled the stats from those official guidebooks, but it would be best to verify them from gameplay. Maybe they were still tweaking the FC version after the guidebook had been printed and the stats in the game are closer to the NES. I should compare the copyright date of the guidebook to the game's original release date.

I think the Switch seeds you find in chests and on the ground are the same as the SFC/GBC versions, at least they've matched other walkthroughs I've seen. I could look into that too.

EDIT: Just read that gamefaqs post. In my Switch playthrough, the seeds match the SFC seeds, as in there's a seed of magic in Moonbrooke's basement and no seed of strength in the Rippleport shrine (but I need to double check this one).

Edited by aerynb
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, ignasia said:

Nicely done!

Not something you typically think of, but Dragon Quest 2 has only one actual Dragon!

Interesting to note the stat differences, and I never knew the FC original and NES versions had nearly the EXP difference they have.  They definitely made the iOS/Droid/PS4/3DS/Switch version the easiest of all.  I mean talk about streamlined and rebalanced, that's pretty heavy compared to the SFC and especially the GBC, let alone the NES.

Cool stuff, I rather enjoyed the FAQ.  There are more differences in specific damage and healing output, but that suffices (even differences in the output of certain spells when specific equipment is used in battle).  There's even a difference in the number of Seeds available of each type, though I have no clue on the iOS/Droid/PS4/3DS/Switch placement and availability, only the SFC and GBC:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/378081-dragon-warrior-i-and-ii/67500239

Ignasia! I figured you'd like this since you're always great at being Data-oriented.