Sign in to follow this  
Liamland

Dragon Quest Ballet

Yuji Horii posted this to Twitter recently. A recording of a DQ ballet, performed in Paris, France.

OP:

• Like 1

So from what I can tell this is a Japanese ballet troupe that performed in France at a convention that centers on Japanese culture.

Ballet is pretty much the most impenetrable thing in the world to me so I’m not gonna watch the whole thing but Dragon Quest music really is well suited for a ballet. I could have feasibly shown this to my grandad if he were still alive today and he’d get a kick out of it.

• Like 1

Looks pretty cool. I'll save it to watch later.

Posted (edited)

With names like "White Hero" and "Princess" you can't go wrong.  LOL.  This was clearly a completely new storyline.  I wonder if it will ever be adapted to a game?  Sugiyama's music translates well to ballet.

There are elements from DQ's 1, 3, 4, and 5 all rolled into this.

Edited by ignasia

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, eal said:

So from what I can tell this is a Japanese ballet troupe that performed in France at a convention that centers on Japanese culture.

Yet the words on the screen are written in English first, then Japanese.  Not in French.

This actually has the makings of a really good game storyline.  I really hope Horii considers making a game based on it, or uses some elements unique to this storyline (

Spoiler

twins, one snatched at birth by the dark lord and trained to become a knight for evil, only to be pitted against his unknown twin in battle

).  Very dark concept that has a lot of room to play around with.

That skull in the background of the villain's base reminds me of the ever moving castle in Krull where the dark lord resides.

Edited by ignasia
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ignasia said:
  Hide contents

twins, one snatched at birth by the dark lord and trained to become a knight for evil, only to be pitted against his unknown twin in battle

Better use of twins than Heroes II, that's for sure.

• Like 1

Better use of twins than Heroes II, that's for sure.
Teresa makes that point invalid!

Then again, me only mentioning Teresa proves your point.

Desdemona should've been her twin!

Ballet is pretty much the most impenetrable thing in the world to me

@Liamland might have a suggestion to ease you into it.
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

@Liamland might have a suggestion to ease you into it. emoji848.png

It was a lost cause the day I was taken to see The Nutcracker back when I was, like, 7.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

@Liamland might have a suggestion to ease you into it. emoji848.png

Yep. We'll talk about that on a future podcast for sure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Teresa emoji3059.png makes that point invalid!

Then again, me only mentioning Teresa proves your point.

smuganimegirl.jpg

Anyone interested in hopping on a Slime Time podcast, to discuss this DQ Ballet with us this coming week? Brother Jaybird just did two episodes back to back and I'm hoping to have ignasia on soon for a different game topic. eal, Billy MK, or anyone else reading this, any takers? Prerequisite is you have to have sat through all 40:25 of the DQ ballet.

I wouldn’t be against being on a future podcast but at the moment I don’t have a mic and, like I mentioned, ballet just goes right over my head. Although I will say I watched the first couple minutes earlier today and it seemed pretty straightforward, so I assume it’s like that from beginning to end.

Prerequisite is you have to have sat through all 40:25 of the DQ ballet.

I'm out!

3 hours ago, eal said:

I wouldn’t be against being on a future podcast but at the moment I don’t have a mic and, like I mentioned, ballet just goes right over my head. Although I will say I watched the first couple minutes earlier today and it seemed pretty straightforward, so I assume it’s like that from beginning to end.

Don’t worry eal. If television has taught me anything, men/boys can learn and appreciate ballet very easily.

• Like 1

Don’t worry eal. If television has taught me anything, men/boys can learn and appreciate ballet very easily.

This sounds like the plot of at least a dozen RomCom movies I've seen in my life.

5 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
11 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

This sounds like the plot of at least a dozen RomCom movies I've seen in my life.

It’s also the B plot for an episode of the Simpsons.

"Ahhhh...the ballet."

spacer.png

3 hours ago, eal said:

Yeah, none of us are ballet aficionados. It would just be us interpreting the DQ story, talking about how well the music did or did not synch with the story. Making fun of the name White Hero. Stuff like that. It'd be great to have you on, but you would need to have a mic.

30 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

And that miracles always happen to poor kids at Christmas.

3 minutes ago, eal said:

And that miracles always happen to poor kids at Christmas.

Don’t forget that fictional characters ALWAYS really exist. Santa Claus is hiding somewhere in the North Pole...

5 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Don’t forget that fictional characters ALWAYS really exist. Santa Claus is hiding somewhere in the North Pole...

*gasp* did my Simpsons reference go over Yangus’s head? 

talking about how well the music did or did not synch with the story.

Music interpretation too?
I'm out.

Does Platty even know what music sounds like? 🤔 

30 minutes ago, eal said:

*gasp* did my Simpsons reference go over Yangus’s head? 

Oh. I’ll be totally honest I didn’t even catch the reference. Was what you posted supposed to be a line from that Christmas episode where the family “loses,” everything because of Bart?

10 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Oh. I’ll be totally honest I didn’t even catch the reference. Was what you posted supposed to be a line from that Christmas episode where the family “loses,” everything because of Bart?

In the first episode, Bart says to Homer, “If TV has taught me anything,” which is how you started your post, so I finished the quote, “that miracles always happen to poor kids at Christmas.”

48 minutes ago, eal said:

In the first episode, Bart says to Homer, “If TV has taught me anything,” which is how you started your post, so I finished the quote, “that miracles always happen to poor kids at Christmas.”

Oh yeah! I think Bart says that before they go to the dog race track if I remember right.

Yeah, I totally didn’t catch that was a reference to the first episode/Christmas episode. That episode has never really stuck with me, but most season 1 episodes don’t stand out in my mind other than the Bleeding Gums Murphy episode and the one where Bart wages war on Nelson.