Stuner50

Dragon Quest XII: When do you expect it to release and what are your predictions/hopes?

On 4/30/2020 at 6:29 AM, Woodus said:
On 4/29/2020 at 9:06 PM, Erdrick The Hero said:

DQX didn't let you "jump" so much as "hop". It doesn't affect your colission at all, it just plays a jumping animation. You can't jump over/through/onto things.

True, but the mechanic is there more than any previous game

Look, all I want is that if there's going to be jumping, it has to be at least Ocarina of Time-comparable. It's been over twenty years since that baseline was established, the XI rocket-hop is ridiculous.

Posted (edited)

hate OoT's jumping. Link is so heavy and he jumps in basically any random direction except the one you're trying to jump in.

DQXI's jump is quite floaty, but at least it's responsive.

@Brother Jaybird

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

Just now, Erdrick The Hero said:

hate OoT's jumping. Link is so heavy

Don’t fat shame Link. He’s doing his best.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Brother Jaybird said:

Look, all I want is that if there's going to be jumping, it has to be at least Ocarina of Time-comparable. It's been over twenty years since that baseline was established, the XI rocket-hop is ridiculous.

What are you having troubles with when it comes to the jumping apart from the hero leaving Earth at 100 mph? You don’t need to use the jump much to actually access anything from what I remember, and most times a cliff you have to climb has the prompt to push the A/X button (depending on the version) and up you go.

Besides, you should be glad the jumping isn’t as bad as the 3DS versions. You jump in that game and you are #$*!ing committed to the direction you were going in. 

1 hour ago, eal said:

Don’t fat shame Link. He’s doing his best.

No wonder it took us so long to get Young Link back into Smash Bros. People like Erdrick were calling the poor kid fat. That must have had a psychological affect on the poor little bugger. No wonder he didn’t want to show his face for 17 years.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

At least I don't go around calling Link a hobo.

4 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

You don’t need to use the jump much to actually access anything from what I remember, and most times a cliff you have to climb has the prompt to push the A/X button (depending on the version) and up you go.

You've basically explained my position for me. It's a useless, pointless mechanic that has nothing to actually do with the world it exists in except for some clumsy, ham-handed not-actually-platforming that only exists because whoever built the models decided to put in a pile of crates where he should've put a ladder.

At least the hobo of time's jumping skills correspond to the world he's in. There are deliberately arranged platforms to traverse.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brother Jaybird said:

You've basically explained my position for me. It's a useless, pointless mechanic that has nothing to actually do with the world it exists in except for some clumsy, ham-handed not-actually-platforming that only exists because whoever built the models decided to put in a pile of crates where he should've put a ladder.

At least the hobo of time's jumping skills correspond to the world he's in. There are deliberately arranged platforms to traverse.

Doesn’t really seem like something to be upset over to me, but to each their own I suppose.

As useless as movement in combat?
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

At least I don't go around calling Link a hobo.

I think you have it wrong. No one calls Link himself a hobo. People call the hero of Dragon Quest 7 Hobo Link. There’s a difference. 😜

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Doesn’t really seem like something to be upset over to me, but to each their own I suppose.

I'm not super-upset about it, but I mean in no uncertain terms to call it a bad mechanic. One of DQXI's flaws is a surfeit of faux-exploration, and the crappy jump mechanic is part of that, along with invisible walls, doors you can't open, and scenic layouts that you should be able to traverse but can't.

32 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I think you have it wrong. No one calls Link himself a hobo. People call the hero of Dragon Quest 7 Hobo Link. There’s a difference. 😜

I'll call him a hobo. The hobo of time hasn't had a place to rest his head since Princess Zelda stole his timeline from him.

Edited by Brother Jaybird
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm hoping we see a trailer this year  :)

Edited by Stuner50

18 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

You mean the kid who literally lives in his parents home, having just turned 16 (or 17, by the end of the game), is more of a hobo than the kid who lives alone/with other children in a forest? Some logic.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

You mean the kid who literally lives in his parents home, having just turned 16 (or 17, by the end of the game), is more of a hobo than the kid who lives alone/with other children in a forest? Some logic.

It’s just a joke nickname people use for the hero because his outfit looks a bit like Link’s. Calm down.

Jokes aren't logical. Thus the term: joke!
  • Like 1

I'd love a game taking place in another's game past tbh. Not necessarily one about Erdwin (tho a game following Erdwin and Serenica's descendants could be nice), but a game exploring maybe Ramias, Shebath, Valora and Orgo (any of them really) would be nice imo. 

I don't really have preferences in term of settings. It could be high fantasy, little bit of steampunk, full fledged medieval... Or maybe something more exotic, like taking inspiration from Abel Yushaa in term of artistic direction. Having a native American vibe in a way, or something like that. Like maybe more Celtic, Inuit, African maybe too! Just something more diverse looking. 

What I do hope we'll get is what XI brought, different skins for our characters. Like, 5 to 6 differents outfits or something. 

What I hope won't be in DQXII, is legacy bosses. Past DQ boss should stay past DQ bosses, unless they are integrated into the story. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 8:13 AM, Xiggy said:

What I do hope we'll get is what XI brought, different skins for our characters. Like, 5 to 6 differents outfits or something. 

Yes. 

Or more. Like 100, or 200. 

• Like 2

On 5/10/2020 at 8:13 AM, Xiggy said:

I'd love a game taking place in another's game past tbh. Not necessarily one about Erdwin (tho a game following Erdwin and Serenica's descendants could be nice), but a game exploring maybe Ramias, Shebath, Valora and Orgo (any of them really) would be nice imo. 

I don't really have preferences in term of settings. It could be high fantasy, little bit of steampunk, full fledged medieval... Or maybe something more exotic, like taking inspiration from Abel Yushaa in term of artistic direction. Having a native American vibe in a way, or something like that. Like maybe more Celtic, Inuit, African maybe too! Just something more diverse looking. 

What I hope won't be in DQXII, is legacy bosses. Past DQ boss should stay past DQ bosses, unless they are integrated into the story. 

DQX let you make your own outfits out of any equipment in the game and you could wear an outfit visually even if you have different armour equipped for battle. This should be standard in DQ going forward and I don't know why the feature wasn't in XI.

• Like 1

DQX let you make your own outfits out of any equipment in the game and you could wear an outfit visually even if you have different armour equipped for battle. This should be standard in DQ going forward and I don't know why the feature wasn't in XI.
It was in XIS.

59 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
18 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

It was in XIS.

Only for certain outfits though. 

7 hours ago, AustNerevar said:
On 5/23/2020 at 1:45 PM, Erdrick The Hero said:

It was in XIS.

It was not in XIS. You can use the costumes without equipping them in XIS but not every single piece of equipment is visable on your character model.

Posted (edited)

I’d rather have that than the entire outfit changing. That works for games like DQ9, 10, and Stars because you play as nothing but blank slate characters, so them looking like whatever doesn’t really matter.

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’d rather have that the entire outfit changing. That works for games like DQ9, 10, and Stars because you play as nothing but blank slate characters, so them looking like whatever doesn’t really matter.

A character doesn't have to be a blank slate to not wear the same outfit every day.

I'm not by any means implying that Toriyama's character designs should go. Were there an option to wear any equipment, I'd want to have a toggle to display the default costume rather than your current equipment/costume. That way you could ignore the feature entirely if you wanted.

On 5/24/2020 at 6:07 PM, Erdrick The Hero said:

A character doesn't have to be a blank slate to not wear the same outfit every day.

I'm not by any means implying that Toriyama's character designs should go. Were there an option to wear any equipment, I'd want to have a toggle to display the default costume rather than your current equipment/costume. That way you could ignore the feature entirely if you wanted.

Yep. Gonna agree with this one.