Dragon Quest XII: When do you expect it to release and what are your predictions/hopes?

Hey!

I'm a big Dragon Quest fan and i love the series, i read recently that DQ12 was in devolopment and i couldn't be more hyped! So i wanted to party chat a bit with the den and see when people think the game's releasing and what they hope/predict of it.

Release:

I think a late 2022 japanese release is reasonable if they're using Unreal Engine 4 again and borrowing some of XI's assets, plus there's likely not a 3DS/2D version this time around.

Expectations:

A more dark plot: I expect DQ12 to have a darker tone and a more mature plot like 5 and 7, mostly because i think Horii might try to appeal to the west in some way after the sucess of the recent DQ games without changing the core of the series too much...we all know how much western gamers like mature/dark storylines, i also expect the game to be more storydriven than XI...so i expect it to be even more linear not as much as recent PS4 games or Pokemon, but more like recent Tales games.

A 4 character party: After the giant party we got in XI i think they might go back to having a 4 character party ala VIII: I think the skill point system didn't work pretty well with a big cast, a lot of characters used the same weapons or only use 2 (like 4 characters with daggers/swords) and some character's personal skills lacked the character personality (for example Veronica, Erik and Rab skill trees are just the thief, mage and sage skill trees not really using the character personality into play, while VIII personal skill tree used the character personality more), i might be biased since i enjoy 4 characters more since the journey feels moe personal and all the characters usually interact with each other and can flesh out their arcs.

Friendship mechanic: Ala Xenoblade/Persona 5....i kind of expect to have some mechanic that focuses about that, might even implement pep powers in it like you'll learn team attacks with the more friendship you have with a character the more team attacks you learn with that character.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If it means anything, I never played the original PS1 game, but I played through the first couple islands of the 3DS remake, and I didn’t feel like I was missing something in that opening chunk. I tho

Yes.    Or more. Like 100, or 200. 

I’m guessing we’ll see DQ12 in 4 to 5 years. I’m guessing we’ll see a remake of DQ9 first.

It'll probably be at least 4 years from now. DQ games, at least the main series, usually have long, careful, and attentive development cycles.

4 hours ago, Stuner50 said:

Friendship mechanic: Ala Xenoblade/Persona 5....i kind of expect to have some mechanic that focuses about that, might even implement pep powers in it like you'll learn team attacks with the more friendship you have with a character the more team attacks you learn with that character.

spacer.png

I’m guessing we’ll see DQ12 in 4 to 5 years. I’m guessing we’ll see a remake of DQ9 first.

• Upvote 1

If they reuse Epic's engine, I can see a 3 year development cycle, maybe as short as 2 years depending on how far they are at this point.  What is interesting is the lack of data released.  The typical period of time for first screens would be around a few months earlier.  However this might have to do with COVID19 and the lockdowns in Japan.

I do expect the following to come out first though:

1) Dragon Quest Dai

2) Dragon Quest IX remake

3) Dragon Quest Monsters: Erik and Mia's Adventure

4) Dragon Quest Heroes 3

5) Dragon Quest Builders 3

6) Dragon Quest 3's 3rd remake...maybe 1 and 2 as well, or a singular compilation package of all three games released as Dragon Quest: Erdrick Trilogy...probably done by Arte Piazza 

7) First screens and info of Dragon Quest 4's 3rd remake.  Or they might do a compilation remake package by Arte Piazza, and call it, Dragon Quest: Zenithian Trilogy, but will be released after DQ12.

8 ) Dragon Quest Monsters 3 remake, maybe Joker 1's first remake.

Given COVID19, we'll see, though I'm fairly certain we'll see DQ9 and Dai for sure.  Mia and Erik is a big question marker given the last response from its director, or was it the producer?

Edited by ignasia

I want an English version of a Caravan Heart remake.

• Like 1
I want an English version of a Caravan Heart remake.
I feel that I should both lock and pin this this topic. No better reply can be found than this! Caravan !
  • Upvote 1

I wonder if Square Enix would fulfil the request of many fans of a multiplatform HD remaster of Dragon Quest VIII (with the extra content of the Nintendo 3DS version added)?

2 hours ago, Dakhil said:

I wonder if Square Enix would fulfil the request of many fans of a multiplatform HD remaster of Dragon Quest VIII (with the extra content of the Nintendo 3DS version added)?

I would get this day one, no doubt. I'd also love to play DW VII on my Switch. 

As for DQ XII, I'd like a main character that doesn't have dumb hair. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

I’d be down for another green haired hero because:spacer.png

28 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Blue is better, but why not Red!  We've already had green and blue, let's see blood red hair, and a dark backstory (hero was the son of the devil).

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Dakhil said:

I wonder if Armor Project would un-sully  one of their best works with a multiplatform 4K/HD remaster of Dragon Quest VII (with the removed PS1 content added back in)?

Edited by Erdrick The Hero
Blue is better, but why not Red!  We've already had green and blue, let's see blood red hair, and a dark backstory (hero was the son of the devil).
And his name shall be Jack!

I'd prefer no more remakes of games already remade.

So much truth in that statement.
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, ignasia said:

Blue is better, but why not Red!  We've already had green and blue, let's see blood red hair.

So you want Crono as the protagonist? There’s already a game for that. 🤪

• Like 1

I concur with no more bowl hair cuts.
  • Like 1

I think we could get a spiky hair hero with white hair this time around lol, i think the Joker 1 protag is the only one like that (Also, he looks pretty edgy compared to the main line heroes, wonder why Toriyama gave the joker 1 characters this edgeness xD), but  i've liked all the hero designs toriyama has brought us so far except Lazarel.

Also what about a tribeswoman party member? I don't think we've had any tribal party member yet...would personally love to have one, she could use spears and bows for example.

I'm probably a bit biased here since i love the jungle/tribe areas in games i feel like they have some interesting lore/stories going on.

11 minutes ago, Stuner50 said:

I think we could get a spiky hair hero with white hair this time around lol, i think the Joker 1 protag is the only one like that (Also, he looks pretty edgy compared to the main line heroes, wonder why Toriyama gave the joker 1 characters this edgeness xD), but  i've liked all the hero designs toriyama has brought us so far except Lazarel.

Also what about a tribeswoman party member? I don't think we've had any tribal party member yet...would personally love to have one, she could use spears and bows for example.

I'm probably a bit biased here since i love the jungle/tribe areas in games i feel like they have some interesting lore/stories going on.

Technically we’ve had a tribeswoman party member; Aira/Aishe from Dragon Quest VII. She’s part of the Deja Tribe/Roamers depending on the translation. She doesn’t line up with what you want from a tribeswoman though.

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Technically we’ve had a tribeswoman party member; Aira/Aishe from Dragon Quest VII. She’s part of the Deja Tribe/Roamers depending on the translation. She doesn’t line up with what you want from a tribeswoman though.

With a tribeswoman i meant something like Lilika from Rogue Galaxy, Aishe is more of a gypsy tribe yeah.

21 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I'd be down!

21 hours ago, ignasia said:

I would also be down.

But.....what if we could visit a barber and CHANGE THE HAIR COLOR

21 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

I wonder if Armor Project would un-sully  one of their best works with a multiplatform 4K/HD remaster of Dragon Quest VII (with the removed PS1 content added back in)?

I highly doubt it. 

I think the best we may get is a slightly cleaned up version of the 3DS remake. 

The opening to DW7 perfectly set the mood for the game. The remake trashed that.

The opening to DW7 perfectly set the mood for the game. The remake trashed that.
Even though 7 is quite devisive, outside the 1% hardcore of hardcore fans, I'm willing to bet more than a few mortgage payments that that's the minority opionin.

Personally, I almost bounced off DW7 the first time because of that beginning and now volunteering with a bunch of RPG fans that are only casual DQ fans, many did bounce off the game because of it, but have given the 3DS a try.
5 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Even though 7 is quite devisive, outside the 1% hardcore of hardcore fans, I'm willing to bet more than a few mortgage payments that that's the minority opionin.

Personally, I almost bounced off DW7 the first time because of that beginning and now volunteering with a bunch of RPG fans that are only casual DQ fans, many did bounce off the game because of it, but have given the 3DS a try.

If it means anything, I never played the original PS1 game, but I played through the first couple islands of the 3DS remake, and I didn’t feel like I was missing something in that opening chunk. I thought that was exactly how the original game started and I had no reason to doubt that until I saw people talking about that change here shortly after it came out.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

The opening of the game was what drew me in because it was so different from other DQ beginnings. They should have cut back how many times you had to go back to Estard from the Fane in the PS1 version, but the puzzles in the Fane were a lot better than that lame ass “Go to four areas and stand on some switches!” Not very engaging and felt like a chore in the 3DS version.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1
The opening of the game was what drew me in because it was so different from other DQ beginnings. They should have cut back how many times you had to go back to Estard from the Fane in the PS1 version, but the puzzles in the Fane were a lot better than that lame ass “Go to four areas and stand on some switches!” Not very engaging and felt like a chore in the 3DS version.
I'll agree that walking back and forth across the island a bazillion times was WAY worse than any puzzle in the fane, yes.
  • Like 1

I'd be OK if they cut down on the back and forth, but that's the only part they left in!