Sign in to follow this  
twilighthotel

NES DW Silver Harp Question

Dragon Warrior for NES:

I had wanted to use the Silver Harp in a few scenarios after making the bridge to Charlock and thus used the Treasure Chest editor to add a second harp in another chest.

Long story short, any idea why the Harp still summons enemies after the Dragonlord has been defeated and Alefgard is saved? I was eventually able to let a Scorpion kill me and it let me death warp back to the throne room and I went outside for the ending. 

I would imagine after defeating Dragonlord the game changes the encounter rate to 0. Since you're no longer supposed to be in possession of the Silver Harp, this would be the ideal way to handle the situation. Alternatively they could have loaded a set of maps with no monsters set, but why waste the memory to do that when you can just turn off encounters, you know?

• Like 3

Not a programmer but have dabbled in that and rim hacking some. Just a hunch but the silver harp probably trips battles differently....ie, a certain part of RAM that triggers the battles gets kicked to the same value that triggers the battles randomly.  Probably something I could fiddle with in the fceux RAM editor.

Right. I found it odd to still be able to fight enemies by playing it after taking out Dragonlord. I had always wondered what would happen, though. My assumption was that the game would tell me nothing happened, same as if I played the harp in a town or Tantegel.