Sackchief

References to DQ in other games?

Hey guys, I'm trying to compile some references to DQ in other video games, was wondering if you guys had any you could share.  Here's a pretty recent one:

wro_n3FZDG_wBwIk1YJRSFEjuTNZxpgSipXinIVmKztcLOaG2ouLuVs2WyyioX1wRu6krstZS5iUc6A=s1600-nd

Goopy le Grande of Cuphead is unmistakably an homage to the classic slime monster.

Hell, I'm pretty sure any jRPG or jRPG derivative with slime, ooze, or goop monsters owes that trope to Dragon Quest.

• Upvote 1

Super Neptunia RPG begins with the pantied protagonist below grabbing a Cypress Stick to fight blue slimes. Oh, I'm sorry, we call them dogoo in the Neptunia series, because they're not slimes. Not at all. No resemblence whatsoever. 75debff81fc7b7b32a6d98198d883a19.jpg47f53ef78f18b2f75c78fe9c49c4ad85.jpg

18 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Super Neptunia RPG begins with the pantied protagonist below grabbing a Cypress Stick to fight blue slimes. Oh, I'm sorry, we call them dogoo in the Neptunia series, because they're not slimes. Not at all. No resemblence whatsoever. 75debff81fc7b7b32a6d98198d883a19.jpg47f53ef78f18b2f75c78fe9c49c4ad85.jpg

Now I'm conflicted. Do I go play this for the dogoo or condemn it for lewdness? (I guess condemn is too strong a word... Not judging anybody, it's just not for me.)

Now I'm conflicted. Do I go play this for the dogoo or condemn it for lewdness? (I guess condemn is too strong a word... Not judging anybody, it's just not for me.)
Neptunia is more lewd-light. And they're not really good games. They have no redeeming qualities. For kicks last year I tried playing a bunch, positive there was a good one.

I

Was

Wrong
  • Like 1

Bururian made a whole list of them from 3D Dot Heroes

https://www.woodus.com/den/gallery/graphics/sightings/dq_in_3d_dot_heroes.pdf

9 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Neptunia is more lewd-light. And they're not really good games. They have no redeeming qualities. For kicks last year I tried playing a bunch, positive there was a good one.

I

Was

Wrong

Platty is on his own personal quest to play the most depraved anime tiddy games he can find until he can find the perfect game that marries quality and sexuality.

I saw you were asking about Culdcept Revolt. If you wanna play a card game, give Monster Monpiece a look... 😏

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, eal said:

Platty is on his own personal quest to play the most depraved anime tiddy games he can find until he can find the perfect game that marries quality and sexuality.

I saw you were asking about Culdcept Revolt. If you wanna play a card game, give Monster Monpiece a look... 😏

He learned it by watching you and all your Vita gaming. Look what ya did to the boy!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I saw you were asking about Culdcept Revolt. If you wanna play a card game, give Monster Monpiece a look...
One of the people I podcast with tried that for our Idea Factory episode. They just couldn't. Too bad.

9 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

He learned it by watching you and all your Vita gaming. Look what ya did to the boy!

Hey, he’s played way worse than me! Worst I’ve played was a couple hours of Criminal Girls 2.

I think putting japanese games in this thread is cheating :P

6 hours ago, Mefista said:

I think putting japanese games in this thread is cheating :P

But that's like three quarters of games!

• Like 2

In MOTHER/Earthbound Beginnings an unnamed NPC actually namedrops Dragon Quest 4 in the Japanese version. The game design of MOTHER 1 is also eerily similar to DQ2.

You can also get a slime to appear as an enemy sprite in the overworld in Mother 3 if you use debugging/cheat tools, however the actual enemy has a different sprite in battle. There is also an enemy that is meant to be a parody of metal slimes.

https://wikibound.info/wiki/Tiny_Forest

https://wikibound.info/wiki/Mystery_Metal_Monkey

• Like 1

OMFG HOW DID I FORGET THIS!?

In this Japanese novel, "Bakemonogatari Volume 1", the first entry in the "Monogatari" book series (Really good series, it also has an anime adaptation and you check it out) theres a moment in page 76 where the character Senjougahara Hitagi offers to do a favor to protagonist Araragi Koyomi. She said she will do this for him:

Hmmm... You're scum who tried to equip the slave outfit to Nera in Dragon Quest V, but I'm going to halt my plans to spread the word.

Araragi replies, "I've never even heard of anyone doing that!"

That scene made me laugh hard when I first read it even though I wasn't a fan of the series yet.

IMG_20200517_031205412.thumb.jpg.1a3fdfb8a5390c9d0c87af4f7735f4d6.jpg

These are great!

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 12:40 PM, Sackchief said:

Hey guys, I'm trying to compile some references to DQ in other video games, was wondering if you guys had any you could share.  Here's a pretty recent one:

wro_n3FZDG_wBwIk1YJRSFEjuTNZxpgSipXinIVmKztcLOaG2ouLuVs2WyyioX1wRu6krstZS5iUc6A=s1600-nd

Heya!

I'm an editor on TVTropes and I was really curious to know where exactly that reference is made in Persona 5. It looks as though it's from the Royal version, but I can't say for sure, and I don't want to write something in that I don't really know the context behind it is from. If you don't know, that's alright. I'll try to put it in and hope someone who has the game can correct any mistake.

To stay on topic, the first thing that comes to mind regarding DQ shout outs is from the last case in Danganronpa where the main villain starts off making some over-the-top speech that's highly reminiscent of the Dragonlord from DQ1, capping off with a yes/no option of ruling together. In fact, the last case had a fair amount of shout outs to various projects Spike Chunsoft was in, which makes sense that they would do a Dragon Quest reference considering they developed the early titles in the series.

• Like 1

Futaba must be a DQ fan at heart. Here she is in Persona 5 Dancing. She said she has no rhythm and then this line. 1947b34e934e18103fe3a634f263c1d1.jpg

Also MOTHER 3 takes heavy influence from DQ4 as it has a chapter based story with different protagonists.

On 4/13/2020 at 4:25 PM, Brother Jaybird said:

Goopy le Grande of Cuphead is unmistakably an homage to the classic slime monster.

Hell, I'm pretty sure any jRPG or jRPG derivative with slime, ooze, or goop monsters owes that trope to Dragon Quest.

Like the puyos in Puyo Puyo!

Posted (edited)

Surprised nobody mentioned Yakuza: Like a Dragon. The main hero actually says he likes Dragon Quest and the game makes numerous little jokes / references towards Dragon Quest. Very excited and very happy that they will be having turn-based combat in this new Yakuza installment. Sega is just the best it has ever been right now... I'd even say that they have all the means of going back to console making business.

spacer.png

Edited by ShonenKokoro
  • Like 4

On 5/27/2020 at 5:49 PM, ShonenKokoro said:

I'd even say that they have all the means of going back to console making business.

I mean, they're supposedly dropping a megaton announcement next week.

Imagine Nera wearing this:
DQV_Slave_Clothes.png.b73c842897068f2b037dbaa2a7df1fee.png

Her boob would hang out.

19 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
22 hours ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:
Imagine Nera wearing this:
DQV_Slave_Clothes.png.b73c842897068f2b037dbaa2a7df1fee.png

Her boob would hang out.

This seems to imply she only has one.

24 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

This seems to imply she only has one.

Umm....what? Pretty sure Platty was saying her left boob would be hanging out, not that she would only have a singular boob. 🤣

• Like 1