Plattym3

Keeping it All Organized

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
41 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:
Keep digging that hole, Platty. I don’t think the game is perfect, but I can’t agree with any of your points.

You've seen what I've hit and quit. Despite being a kid in the 80s, most of my RPG love came about with PS2/DS and newer. It's hard for me to do SNES & PS1.

I find that funny since that’s one of the things that we don’t have in common as Twinsies. I grew up on N64 and other Nintendo consoles/early 2000s consoles, but my favorite RPGs tend to be from before my time like the SNES and on consoles I didn’t own growing up like the PS1.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I find that funny since that’s one of the things that we don’t have in common as Twinsies. I grew up on N64 and other Nintendo consoles/early 2000s consoles, but my favorite RPGs tend to be from before my time like the SNES and on consoles I didn’t own growing up like the PS1.

I grew up fairly poor. So I had to grow up playing the older console games that were hand me downs. So I was always a generation behind so I grew up mostly playing SNES and NES games. I did get a N64 when it was about 2 years old, and I just started getting into current gen from that point forward growing up. Because of it, I grew a strong taste for SNES games. Even though the N64 was in it's prime when I was old enough to know more about games as a whole.

On 4/22/2020 at 2:51 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Keep digging that hole, Platty. I don’t think the game is perfect, but I can’t agree with any of your points.

Nah I agree with him on the gameplay but not the graphics. I try to replay EarthBound every now and then but the gameplay aspects are a little too old for me now.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Nah I agree with him on the gameplay but not the graphics. I try to replay EarthBound every now and then but the gameplay aspects are a little too old for me now.

That’s fine. But I still don’t agree with the gameplay point.

• Like 1

Hehegiphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7d7bc1b6fd6f80894b4c0c2ce59f67afb29539c94&rid=giphy.gif

Posted (edited)

Guess I will throw some fuel into the flames a bit.

The gameplay of Earthbound is really good. One of the best RPGs of the era. The only downside I really had was with the tedious item management.

Edited by Twinkie
  • Like 1

Guess I will throw some fuel into the flames a bit.

The gameplay of Earthbound is really good. One of the best RPGs of the era. The only downside I really had was with the tedious item management.
I think the 15-20 hours I gave it, I never had more than 2 free item spots party-wide!

Maybe this is what I should play next, finish up my Earthbound game. I got to the desert!
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I think the 15-20 hours I gave it, I never had more than 2 free item spots party-wide! emoji15.png

Maybe this is what I should play next, finish up my Earthbound game. I got to the desert!

Did you not use Escargo Express to store items? 

Extensively, but I just had so so many items and money was usually tight, and it cost a lot of money early on.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
38 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Extensively, but I just had so so many items and money was usually tight, and it cost a lot of money early on.

I’ll tell you this from playing the game as much as I have: Earthbound is pretty generous with handing out items, particularly healing ones from enemies or chests/present boxes. If you’re inventory starts getting cluttered with them, just use them.

Same with Bags of Dragonite you eventually get. They are powerful attack items you’ll slowly gain starting at the Monkey Cave. Use them on bosses/Sanctuary guardians and don’t worry about hoarding them.

If you reached the desert I’m thinking of (the one where there’s a big traffic jam and you have to walk through the desert in order to reach Fourside) that’s the point where money starts to become a lot faster to earn. Equipment items can get pricey, but Earthbound is pretty balanced about handing out a lot of money as you keep going.

The only spot where money can get tight for the rest of the game is when you reach the resort town of Summers. The shopkeepers there have stupidly high prices for items, but the plus side is that you do get access to good armor, healing items, and the handiest item of all, the Super Plush Bear. Load up someone’s inventory with this like Jeff’s or the final party member since he joins in b Summers and you’ll be damage free for quite a while.

• Like 1

I put together a list of games I’ve left in limbo and need to finish off. I focused on the current consoles I play.

Games to finish:

Switch:

-Octopath Traveler

-Trials of Mana via Collection of Mana

-Dragon Quest XI S

-Fire Emblem Three Houses

PS4:

-Trails of Cold Steel 2

-South Park: The Stick it Truth

-The Last Guardian

-Horizon Zero Dawn

-Ni no Kuni 2’s DLC

-Tearaway Unfolded

3DS:

-Etrian Odyssey Nexus

-Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest Route

-The Alliance Alive

-Fantasy Life

-Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story Remake

-Monster Hunter Stories

On any console:

-Dragon Quest Builders 1

-Ys VIII (on either Vita or PS4)

• Like 1

-South Park: The Stick it Truth

Way to stick it to the truth.

Why do I feel thr need to say "in before eal!"

48 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Way to stick it to the truth.

Why do I feel thr need to say "in before eal!"

My brain simply will not let me play through the game unless I can outright complete the whole thing in one go. A lot of items and unlockables are locked out when you leave certain one-time locations.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wasn’t on my list above, but I did finish off another game left in limbo. Ended up plowing (or I guess digging in this game’s case) through SteamWorld Dig: A Fistful of Dirt. According to the game I finished it in 5 hours and 35 minutes. And hey, for not playing it in months I didn’t do so bad for a first time playthrough, as I got a gold star rating on two of the four categories. I had started the game back in late January I believe, or whenever exactly I had finished Dragon Quest II Switch. I had bought the game on the cheap during a sale and had started it but never got out of the first “world,” of the game. Randomly started it again and, well, I beat the game!

I enjoyed playing it. It has a Metroid kind of feel to it, as the power ups you obtain allow you to access new secrets and hidden treasures which can further strengthen the main character, Rusty. Game did a good job nailing the atmosphere, and I was surprised how the environments changed in each new “world,” of the game. Things definitely become a little 2001: A Space Odyssey towards the ending, and the open nature of the finale leaves it open as to what comes next.

Fun game all around, and one that was quick but pretty entertaining. I think the game needs some polish in a few places, but hopefully SteamWorld Dig 2 addresses the issues I had with the game. I’m definitely going to add the other SteamWorld games to my eshop wishlist and pick another one up the next time they go on sale. First game got me hooked on playing more of this series.

• Like 1

Got another game knocked out that wasn’t on my list: the Switch version of Serial Cleaner. It’s a stealth puzzle game where you play as a crime scene cleaner, removing the bodies and evidence and “taking care of them.” Bought it on sale ages ago and never got around to it.

The game was pretty good. I liked the choice of color and the overall artstyle, gameplay was pretty fun with some levels having some downright nasty enemy placements, and the difficult was a gradual increase. The 70s styled music (as the game takes place from 1971-1976) was pretty great, reflecting the styles of music you would have heard from that era. Some disco, one based on what early heavy metal sounded like, heck one of the stages had a Pink Floyd-esque song styled after “Great Gig in the Sky,” from the Darkside of the Moon album. All the songs were done with real instruments too, so presentation wise the game really nailed the era.

It was a bit of an anticlimactic end though. The game does have a narrative to it, with a killer known as the Echo Killer causing most of the crime scenes the Cleaner has to, well, clean. But as the chapters go on and the years pass, things start going south. While it’s a short game, it was a good story that made me curious what would happen after each mission. Unfortunately the payoff isn’t the best. The game just kind of ends unceremoniously, booting you back to the title screen and automatically starting the credits from the options menu. I figured it would end with some cool artwork like you see once you boot the game up, showing off how the Cleaner operates. I figured the end would pay homage to some 70s show or movie, showing what became of the Cleaner after the final chapter. It does not end on a satisfactory note at all though.

However, that aside, the game was fun. There are a lot of secret costumes you can unlock that dress the Cleaner up in different outfits from media of the era, such as Bruce Lee’s classic yellow jump suit and an outfit based on the main character from A Clockwork Orange. The different levels change every time you go back to them or if you get caught by the police, meaning on replays you’ll have brand new paths to tackle and moved obstacles and hiding places to deal with, and, much like the unlockable costumes, there are a number of unlockable missions and bonus trials you can apply to individual maps. So, the game does have a lot of content and ways to play.

It’s a fun experience, and I’d recommend for sure. Throw it on your wishlist on the eshop (or on the PSN, it’s available on most systems and PC) and grab it on a sale. I bought it on a whim without knowing much about it and it was a great surprise. Might be the same for you too.

Now I’m on to Hyper Light Drifter - Special Edition. Again, don’t really know anything about the game, but bought it on a good price during a sale and I’ve heard through the grapevine that it’s a good game. Certainly liking it so far with its pixal art and story telling. The giant monstrosities you see laying far off in the landscapes reminds me of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and the game gives me a post apocalyptic vibe going off the opening cinematic. I’m not a fan of the music since it’s trying to be atmospheric, but it’s not working for me. Something like Breath of the Wild and Red Dead 2 have good examples of atmospheric music while you play. Still, seems like it will be a good game.

On 5/15/2020 at 7:38 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I put together a list of games I’ve left in limbo and need to finish off. I focused on the current consoles I play.

Games to finish:

Switch:

-Trials of Mana via Collection of Mana...Actually all of Collection of Mana

PS4:

World of Final Fantasy

3DS:

-Etrian Odyssey Untold

-Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright

I modified this to apply to me. 

...I probably missed a few things, but it fits

39 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

I modified this to apply to me. 

...I probably missed a few things, but it fits

I’m gonna tell the teacher you tried to copy my homework and then cover it up with your own stuff. You’re gonna get detention for sure. 😈

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2020 at 1:55 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’m gonna tell the teacher you tried to copy my homework and then cover it up with your own stuff. You’re gonna get detention for sure. 😈

Um....

The teacher? You mean Platty?

...yeah! You’re right! He does seem like a detention-giving son of a gun!

Then again....do elementary schools use plagiarism checks 🤔 

Edited by cprmauldin

Um....

Then again....do elementary schools use plagiarism checks  
I mean, I don't. Then again it's been 15 years since I taught anything but math, Robotics, and science. I don't have my kids writing much.

But one teacher a dozen years ago did. The head of our Board of Directors purchased a book report for his 5th grade daughter. Reading teacher found it too perfect (and focused very tightly on some topic and points not asked by her report guidelines) so Google'd it and found it behind a paywall. That was a big deal.

5 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I mean, I don't. Then again it's been 15 years since I taught anything but math, Robotics, and science. I don't have my kids writing much.

But one teacher a dozen years ago did. The head of our Board of Directors purchased a book report for his 5th grade daughter. Reading teacher found it too perfect (and focused very tightly on some topic and points not asked by her report guidelines) so Google'd it and found it behind a paywall. That was a big deal.

Oh wow. That is a big deal. 

6 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

7 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Um....

Then again....do elementary schools use plagiarism checks 🤔 

See, Platty works with robotics. You step out of line and cheat, he sicks his horde of Killing Machines on you.

• Like 1

See, Platty works with robotics. You step out of line and cheat, he sicks his horde of Killing Machines on you.
Each one covered in the snot of dozens of kindergarteners.

5 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
5 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Each one covered in the snot of dozens of kindergarteners.

I've heard such snot can be rather infectious. 

Posted (edited)

We can cross Dragon Quest XI S off my Limbo List! Feels good to finally have finished it and get some time in with DQ again.

Not sure what I’ll work on playing next. Don’t really feel like jumping into Act 3 of DQ11S, so I might go back to DQ Builders to keep the DQ train rolling or see if FE Three Houses grabs me again; I do want to see what becomes of the Golden Deer House. With Bug Fables finally launching tomorrow, I may be busy playing that instead though!