How is everyone during the crisis?

Alive... which is better than a lot of people who caught it.

I had a relatively mild case at the beginning April. I got hit all of the sudden, basically felt like I was going to cough myself to death for about 4 days, then came right out of it, and of yet haven't had any real unpleasant aftereffects. It was basically a week sick, then another week of paid vacation for me while I was on home isolation.

I live way out in the sticks, though, so aside from masks in stores and occasional thin shelves in stores, it hasn't really changed much for me. In the grand scheme of it, we have gotten off pretty easily locally. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, they already are. Lately more and more people seem to view masks as more of a safety blanket. Wearing a mask, but the nose is still exposed. Wearing a mask, yet sipping from a Starbucks cup.

I’m standing in line to get into Walmart, which is a #$*!ed up concept in and of itself, and out of nowhere the guy next to me gets as close to me as is humanly possible without being in physical cont

The issue I have is the President of the United States of America shouldn’t be blowing hot air or trolling. And the people shouldn’t have to wade through his nonsense to find genuine policy positions.

Posted Images

Work hooked us up with a great mask with our company logo. I’m basically shilling for them any time I go into a store, but it’s a symbiotic relationship because now I don’t feel like a dingus shopping after work in dressy clothes because I’m literally broadcasting where I work on my face.

Since it’s fast approaching, I’m curious to see how Christmas is going to shake out. I think we won’t really feel just how devastating an impact the virus has made on the economy until the holiday season comes and sales tank. Not only will people still be avoiding stores as much as they can, we’ll be 9 months into a pandemic that has put people out of work and some families might not feel comfortable flying in from out of state or visiting altogether. I’m sure a lot of businesses have pushed through to see if Christmas can help them bounce back, and it likely won’t for certain companies. Like, I’m pretty sure this will be GameStop’s last Christmas.

All the little things towns, cities, states do for the holiday season will go POOF. Up in smoke. The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is happening but I’m assuming it’s gonna be a lot different from normal, people won’t be able to attend tree lightings, kids might not get to go see Santa at the mall, and who wants to be in NYC for New Years? Just imagine how few Hallmark Christmas movies we’ll get next year! 2021 is going to be rough.

We got it. :/

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I feel like we've had this for weeks, but it's only been like two days since I entered the worst of it. I feel normal today, so hopefully I'm on the way out. My wife and son are doing a lot better than I am. She lost her sense of taste and smell though, while I seem unaffected in that regard.

• Like 1

Person I booted a while back posted nothing but weed crap and passive-aggressive trash like, "I hate men!" "White people are terrible and deserve to die!" (When she's white.) "Give me your money!"

Now she's saying, "This pandemic has really proved that people only care about themselves."

I don't say this often, but, "...Bruh."

My cousin's wife got it. She's having serious problems with breathing, and has to be checked every couple hours. He has serious health problems, so we're hoping he doesn't get it.

We're hoping my niece doesn't get it, because she has asthma. So far, they seem to be ok.

I got it back in May and didn't really experience symptoms. But I don't want my parents or my Grandpa to get it, because they have a much higher chance of complications.

I've only been in the area three times when someone died. First was 16 years ago. The second was in a cafeteria. And the third was during the pandemic. I was in a quarantine setting with about 200 people, and someone died. We didn't find out until the next morning, but we think it was Covid...

Forgot to mention... my wife got nailed with a quarantine this week. Her whole class even as a kid that was in school on Monday tested positive Tuesday. Whole class and every single teacher he had was sent home for 2 weeks to do virtual. Local consulting hospital didn't recommend sending home all the teachers he'd had for like 25 minutes of enrichment, but the county health department did. I understand the caution, but it seems overly played in this case. We've been preached over and over that exposure is "within 6 feet for 15+ minutes unmasked". Local health department said NOPE, exposure is exposure. Now we can't have in person meetings masked anymore as faculty. Also, if my wife ends up testing positive and then passing it to me (who was not sent home) by the logic they're using, half the school's going home as I teach half of them weekly.

I actually questioned our nurse (who was understandably confused by this all too) as to what the heck!? I have 75 minute classes and I told her I'm not with 6 feet of any one kid for 15 minutes of those. She thought that not possible. I told her I have a 450 square foot classroom and about 13 kids in each class, I'm not hovering over any one kid for more than a minute or so before moving on or just sitting at my desk as they're doing their work.

Oh, local health department, this is gonna get worse this fall as we start to have more cases. We're back to an upwards trajectory.

4 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I actually questioned our nurse (who was understandably confused by this all too) as to what the heck!? I have 75 minute classes and I told her I'm not with 6 feet of any one kid for 15 minutes of those. She thought that not possible. I told her I have a 450 square foot classroom and about 13 kids in each class, I'm not hovering over any one kid for more than a minute or so before moving on or just sitting at my desk as they're doing their work.

We had a ton of people moved to a quarantine area. Then, within 12 hours, three of them were moved out because they had false positives. But they had already spent hours in quarantine with all of the true positives!

Granted, that was in a facility back in May. But I don't think anyone truly knows what they're doing as far as administration. They do things that help, but other things that make no sense. And they change guidelines within days.

Things seem to be running more consistently the last couple months, but implementing any type of quarantine procedure this suddenly has some pretty obvious flaws, as you pointed out as well.

• Like 1
We had a ton of people moved to a quarantine area. Then, within 12 hours, three of them were moved out because they had false positives. But they had already spent hours in quarantine with all of the true positives!
Granted, that was in a facility back in May. But I don't think anyone truly knows what they're doing as far as administration. They do things that help, but other things that make no sense. And they change guidelines within days.
Things seem to be running more consistently the last couple months, but implementing any type of quarantine procedure this suddenly has some pretty obvious flaws, as you pointed out as well.
We're all masked the whole time too. Forgot to mention that. Now, I wasn't taking this far but now we've got a good amount of teachers who are all pissed becuase we got people quarantined that followed every guideline and then sent home. Heard more than a few say, "Why the hell are we even wearing masks then!"

*under my breath* not to spread the virus

At least once this is all over. We will have a lot more data and experience to reflect on this to make adjustments in case another pandemic occurs. The slow response and a lot of policies didn't help.

• Like 1
At least once this is all over. We will have a lot more data and experience to reflect on this to make adjustments in case another pandemic occurs. The slow response and a lot of policies didn't help.
I'm beginning to think this won't be all over. And we might not have another pandemic until the living memory of this one is gone. If people who were alive during the Spanish flu were still living now, we would have handled this a lot better I would imagine.

Humans are forgetful, stupid creatures, as a whole.

2 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

I'm beginning to think this won't be all over. And we might not have another pandemic until the living memory of this one is gone. If people who were alive during the Spanish flu were still living now, we would have handled this a lot better I would imagine.

Humans are forgetful, stupid creatures, as a whole.

I remember when I was around 12 or so, and I first heard about the Holocaust. I heard how many people died, and I thought "What a terrible thing that happened centuries ago." When I found out that it was in the 1940s I was shocked. Surely with everything we've learned over thousands of years, humanity couldn't have let something like that happen so recently.

But it seems that a generation can only learn from tragedies if they are the ones who were there... and sometimes even that isn't enough for us to learn.

I'm just glad that we have good to counterbalance evil, and light to help us through darkness.

• Like 1

I literally went to bed maybe 20 minutes before the news broke that Trump has COVID. And the way I found out was the strangest way news has been broken to me: I was putting on an episode of Even More News to listen to on the drive to work and the description for the recent episode was “Sadly, we recorded this before we heard about Trump’s Covid diagnosis.”

• Like 1

Going to stand on my political soapbox here.

"You don't have to do it. They suggested for a period of time, but this is voluntary. I don't think I'm going to be doing it." Was his exact words not that long ago. In the list of quotes that came from his mouth, against the idea of wearing masks. Now he tested positive, and most likely spread it to others.

This entire situation shows who patriots are. They claim they will work for the greater good for Americans. But won't do a simple thing of wearing a mask to protect the lives of others. So who are the real patriots? The ones who are actually doing their part to prevent the spread? Or those who are not giving a damn about the well being of others? People can't enjoy freedom if they are not alive to do so.

1 hour ago, Twinkie said:

"You don't have to do it. They suggested for a period of time, but this is voluntary. I don't think I'm going to be doing it." Was his exact words not that long ago. In the list of quotes that came from his mouth, against the idea of wearing masks. Now he tested positive, and most likely spread it to others.

This entire situation shows who patriots are. They claim they will work for the greater good for Americans. But won't do a simple thing of wearing a mask to protect the lives of others. So who are the real patriots? The ones who are actually doing their part to prevent the spread? Or those who are not giving a damn about the well being of others? People can't enjoy freedom if they are not alive to do so.

Totally agree. He carried, but refused to wear, a mask at a plant that manufactures masks. He repeatedly said that Covid will go away "almost like a miracle". After months of holding rallies where mask wearing was lightly encouraged, he has the virus, and tweeted "We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately".

I was in a hot spot months ago, and most of us were fine... but there were also people who died. I've only actually been there when a person died three times in my life... and one of those three was from Covid.

I watch a lot of stuff where people are very anti-Trump (like Colbert and Seth Meyers). I find myself disagreeing with some of the stuff they say, and I think they are over the top with their rhetoric against him. But even if I try, I can't disagree with their thesis: "President Trump has downplayed the virus, and the US still has an out of control pandemic with the most cases and easily the most deaths."

208K deaths US

145K deaths Brazil

99,773 deaths India

Brazil might overtake us, even though they have a smaller population. But no other country is even in the running against us

Edited by Wes

Imagine the contact tracing that's going to go on in the White House and Air Force One. Already multiple people at the debate facility have tested positive. Irresponsible head and staff.

Was it in this thread where I said he'll say he'd get it an have a miraculous recovery? In two weeks he'll be fine and say it was through a vaccine trial and the drugs he previously stated would help. I'll post that one YouTube video of Cooler, Facebook will lose their #$*!, and I'll have a sensible chuckle.

Edited by Dwaine
2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
4 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Imagine the contact tracing that's going to go on in the White House and Air Force One. Already multiple people at the debate facility have tested positive. Irresponsible head and staff.

He arrived too late to the venue to test him so they used the honor system instead of giving him a test. The audience was required to wear masks but you could see Melania took hers off at some point. This is the absolute height of hubris. In a debate meant to show your fit to be a leader more than your opponent, Trump, a man who claimed to have done so well with the virus, gets infected himself and spreads it to countless people.

• Like 1
Was it in this thread where I said he'll say he'd get it an have a miraculous recovery? In two weeks he'll be fine and say it was through a vaccine trial and the drugs he previously stated would help. I'll post that one YouTube video of Cooler, Facebook will lose their #$*!, and I'll have a sensible chuckle.
I figure he'll get through just fine and be able to tell everyone it's no big deal.
So, apparently Trump got Covid, but he's Asymptotic.
What they don't know, is that "asymptotic" is when something approaches a number without ever reaching it (eg. No matter how much you add to a number, you will never actually reach infinity)
I think they meant "asymptomatic", which would have much more to do with Covid
  • Like 1

I'm still hanging in there.  I've had some losses though

My aunt (mother's side) died back in June.  My wife's uncle had it but has since made a recovery (was hospitalized and was touch and go for a moment).  One of my close friend's dad died of it because he is a public figure and didn't want to be embarrassed by going to the hospital (he was a Filipino politician).  Another friend contracted it while on a hiking vacation.   He was okay though.  Just mild symptoms

So yeah, we're just doing our best to protect ourselves.  Stay safe everyone.

• Like 1

Edited by Dwaine

One of my aunts just tested positive. She probably spread it to her sisters. They've also been around Grandpa a lot. Some of my aunts, uncles, and cousins have asthma and other underlying conditions...

My Grandpa is getting tested about now.

I live in Michigan and they live in Texas.