How is everyone during the crisis?

1 minute ago, AustNerevar said:

His supporters likely won't ever be upset by anything he does.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A lot of people in the rural areas depend on the USPS. Messing around with it is indeed upsetting some of them.

But you are right on what. After all he has done, it won't stop people from doubling down.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, they already are. Lately more and more people seem to view masks as more of a safety blanket. Wearing a mask, but the nose is still exposed. Wearing a mask, yet sipping from a Starbucks cup.

I’m standing in line to get into Walmart, which is a #$*!ed up concept in and of itself, and out of nowhere the guy next to me gets as close to me as is humanly possible without being in physical cont

The issue I have is the President of the United States of America shouldn’t be blowing hot air or trolling. And the people shouldn’t have to wade through his nonsense to find genuine policy positions.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

It's hard to not know why he's doing it after he flat out admitted to it on television.

If I had to guess, I’d say it’s because states with major cities that pose a threat to him have been hit hardest by COVID-19, and people living in blue states are less likely willing to risk going to a voting booth and would rather send in their vote. It’s also a fail safe in case he loses, so he can say it was rigged against him like he said after the last election (that he won!). This is why I plan on voting in person, so my vote can’t ever be disqualified. Dude “joked” about how he should get a third term because Obama “meddled” in his first one.

• Like 1
On 8/19/2020 at 8:21 PM, eal said:

I feel like the country just collectively forgot the President of the United States told us injecting disinfectant could be a viable option to kill COVID-19 in the body.

Kinda.

A couple weeks ago I saw a comment that said, "My aunt died of covid and I'm blaming Trump." Sad that it happened, but I'm pretty sure Trump didn't cause that. I mean, it's possible, but not probable. Of all the things I have to do on any given day, there are better things to spend my energy on than being mad at the dumb president on Twitter or Facebook.

Kinda.

A couple weeks ago I saw a comment that said, "My aunt died of covid and I'm blaming Trump." Sad that it happened, but I'm pretty sure Trump didn't cause that. I mean, it's possible, but not probable. Of all the things I have to do on any given day, there are better things to spend my energy on than being mad at the dumb president on Twitter or Facebook.

Without delving too much in depth, you can definitely argue that his lack of preventative action on the spread of coronavirus led to her death. No doubt that any President would be criticized for their handling of a situation like this, but he could have done literally anything and it would have been better than what he did do.

But it also depends on the area you live in. I also heap a lot of blame on my local government for the things going on in my state. My main arguement with the President regarding this is that it shouldn't have fallen on state governments to handle this situation. But that's where it landed and my local governor put businesses ahead of peoples' lives.

As far as spending time online being mad at the government...I mean it's warranted here. We aren't raging about something offensive he said in an interview. This is regarding actions (or lack of, in this case) by somebody whose job it is to literally safeguard the country in crises such as this one. Human lives have been lost and perhaps irreparably damaged. I don't enjoy the toxic hate cycle of social media either, but there comes a point where remaining silent about something is more harmful than speaking up.

16 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

Kinda.

The issue here is that he shouldn’t be thinking out loud and musing on things like that while he’s in the middle of a press briefing being watched by millions and millions of people. He shouldn’t be asking his Coronavirus task force in the middle of a press briefing if disinfectant was something to look into while the world is watching you to see what more they can learn about the pandemic.

While I wouldn’t be mad at Trump for that specific instance you mentioned since I don’t think he’s to blame for any one specific death by COVID-19, I think it’s fair to criticize Trump. For some people, he is just a dumb guy not worth getting mad at on Twitter and Facebook. But there are people that are affected by his words and policies. His voice carries farther than anyone else’s, what he says has weight. We shouldn’t just shrug off when he says he should get a third term because they “tried to cheat him” out of his first.

• Like 2

The issue here is that he shouldn’t be thinking out loud and musing on things like that while he’s in the middle of a press briefing being watched by millions and millions of people. He shouldn’t be asking his Coronavirus task force in the middle of a press briefing if disinfectant was something to look into while the world is watching you to see what more they can learn about the pandemic.
While I wouldn’t be mad at Trump for that specific instance you mentioned since I don’t think he’s to blame for any one specific death by COVID-19, I think it’s fair to criticize Trump. For some people, he is just a dumb guy not worth getting mad at on Twitter and Facebook. But there are people that are affected by his words and policies. His voice carries farther than anyone else’s, what he says has weight. We shouldn’t just shrug off when he says he should get a third term because they “tried to cheat him” out of his first.

Florida is in bad shape because of him. Our governor is a nobody that Trump tweeted about 18 months ago and suddenly he burst from a crowded field and wins the election by a sliver (Democrats nominating a dude being investigated by the FBI might not have been a great call, but I digress). Why is our state a red hot Covid haven? We opened things up willy nilly once our governor got patted on the back a million times for "beating Covid!" by the president and press in May. For weeks we'd have been a top 5 Covid country if not for the fact that Florida's not a country. Basically our state has been run how Trump wanted it run, and as a test case, it's failed. We're exactly what you said@eal, we're the people affected by his words and actions because our governor doesn't have original ideas. He does what Trump ruminates about on Twitter and those f*d up press conferences in the spring.

As a funny aside, what we're encouraged to clean everything with at school is 5 tbsp of bleach in a gallon of water. We spray the playground with that 10 times a day and all classrooms douse everything with it. Someone mentioned this during pre-planning about keeping huge spray bottles of it outside where kids could touch it and our safety director said, "First off if you can find me the Kindergartener who can pump these bottles up, I'll grant you a free day off. Second, this stuff kills the virus, but is safe enough to drink." Half of the 100 or so of us on the Zoom call burst out laughing and many Trump memes appeared in the chat. It took him a minute to laugh and realize what he'd implied.
19 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Florida is in bad shape because of him. Our governor is a nobody that Trump tweeted about 18 months ago and suddenly he burst from a crowded field and wins the election by a sliver (Democrats nominating a dude being investigated by the FBI might not have been a great call, but I digress). Why is our state a red hot Covid haven? We opened things up willy nilly once our governor got patted on the back a million times for "beating Covid!" by the president and press in May. For weeks we'd have been a top 5 Covid country if not for the fact that Florida's not a country. Basically our state has been run how Trump wanted it run, and as a test case, it's failed. We're exactly what you said@eal, we're the people affected by his words and actions because our governor doesn't have original ideas. He does what Trump ruminates about on Twitter and those f*d up press conferences in the spring.

Must be excited about Laura Loomer winning the Republican primary in her district in Florida.

But hey, at least he’s endorsing mail-in voting in Florida!

Loomer is going to be a glorious shitshow. Remember when she sent all those thirst tweets to dudes? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

I don't enjoy the toxic hate cycle of social media either, but there comes a point where remaining silent about something is more harmful than speaking up.

That's what I'm talking about. Stay informed, but don't fixate on it. Be more involved with your family, friends, and community. There are people who post #$*! like, "#$*! TRUMP! PLEASE DIE!" These people would still be experiencing their same problems regardless. TDS isn't anything new. People did it with Obama, Bush, and such. Like say Trump DOES come after you with coof, do you want to be remembered for your Twitter rage?

That's pretty much where I'm at. Get upset about the stuff that's worth getting upset about, but discern when he's just blowing hot air or trolling.

• Like 2

I follow a raccoon picture and meme page on Facebook. They've gone full "REEE Trump!!"

A.

Raccoon.

Page!

48 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

That's pretty much where I'm at. Get upset about the stuff that's worth getting upset about, but discern when he's just blowing hot air or trolling.

The issue I have is the President of the United States of America shouldn’t be blowing hot air or trolling. And the people shouldn’t have to wade through his nonsense to find genuine policy positions. That reporter shouldn’t have given QAnon the attention of asking Trump his opinion on it, but his response absolutely fed into what they wanted from him when he should have condemned them.

• Like 3

Somewhat related to coping during the pandemic: Twitter.

It sort of became a habit for me. An exercise in self-loathing I guess. A coping mechanism, and as usual, a bad one. But, been a week without so far. A forced detox, so to speak. Feel much better and less irritated.

• Like 1
Somewhat related to coping during the pandemic: Twitter.
It sort of became a habit for me. An exercise in self-loathing I guess. A coping mechanism, and as usual, a bad one. But, been a week without so far. A forced detox, so to speak. Feel much better and less irritated.

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but I had to detox from the Facebook app this pandemic. Deleted it all April. Mid-May I went back, but by June I had to delete it again. Went back in July again, but it's been gone a while now. I just can't seem to let it go, it's so convenient for family news and marketplace, but I don't care about 90% of it. Like today I'm going at a dude who's going to try to sue our HOA because he's mad he's getting violations because we ban all signs except For Sale & garage sale ones. His house looks like a polling place & he's flying half a dozen flags. And he's #$*!ing about his freedom of speech. I've found the HOA, city, and state statues he's violating/which protect HOA law and that the 1st Amendment doesn't protect his speech from anyone but government, and hey HOA isn't government! See, I'm going on too long about this. Ugh, I should've never peeked at FB on my PC!

Surprisingly, Facebook isn't too much a problem for me. It was mostly always used to connect with family in Greece... that holds true 11 years later. But, for what it's worth I've seen places like that outside the city before the advent of Facebook, which political posters literally all over their lawns and one really lonely and confused garden gnome.

But Twitter... I feel like even though it seems fairly innocuous at times, I feel like it's doing *actual* harm to socialization and perceptions of real world issues. I know it sounds like an "old man yells at cloud" kinda take, but it seems like some people get conditioned to take any disagreement as a personal attack. And an echo chamber will always support it...

Edited by Fates
  • Like 1

Quit Facebook many years ago but stayed on SnapChat for a few months longer because a lot of my friends were easier to get in touch with through that then texting (I don’t understand why). I ended up dropping that altogether because it was legitimately making me paranoid.

Most of the people I had on Snapchat all knew each other so if someone was lying to me about something there was a good chance photographic evidence would show up in another person’s Story, or sometimes their own, or when they’re sending me snaps, making it hard to trust certain friends anymore. An innocuous example would be the time a co-worker, who was one of like four people in my department, called out sick and then shared pictures of a party she was at on her Story while I was stuck doing the work of two people.

People need to get. Off. Social. Media. Phones can send texts, pictures, heck, even your own voice and face can be seen by family halfway around the country. You don’t need to know that your 11th grade psychology classmate doesn’t vaccinate their kids.

Edited by eal

I haven’t used Facebook in months. Last time i logged on was to check my page on my birthday and thank folks who wished me happy birthday. I haven’t felt like my life was missing something ever since I dropped Facebook.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Fates said:

But Twitter... I feel like even though it seems fairly innocuous at times, I feel like it's doing *actual* harm to socialization and perceptions of real world issues. I know it sounds like an "old man yells at cloud" kinda take, but it seems like some people get conditioned to take any disagreement as a personal attack. And an echo chamber will always support it...

You're right. Twitter is evil. No joke. I tell everyone to delete Twitter and live a happier life. It has destroyed so many people's lives. The amount of ignorance and hate it spreads - I can't take it.

People need to get. Off. Social. Media. Phones can send texts, pictures, heck, even your own voice and face can be seen by family halfway around the country. You don’t need to know that your 11th grade psychology classmate doesn’t vaccinate their kids.

Yeah, you do need to know. Stay away from those kids. Or cough on them. Strengthen that immune system!

Instagram is cool. Pretty much no hate or drama. When all the craziness started, it started suggesting a ton of far left accounts. Blocked all of them. Then it started showing me a ton of far right accounts. I blocked those too. So it admitted defeat and went back to suggesting inking and cat videos.

My problem with social media is when people use it for validation over every little damn thing. It breeds a very unhealthy mindset. Facebook is bad about it and reddit is getting terrible about it.

I wanna talk about games. Not see people post a box of a video game they bought to random strangers. It is one thing to be excited about it. But way too many use it as a way to feel validated.

No offense to anyone who does it.

I have pretty much replaced all social media with Discord. Not that much better but I find it a lot more tolerable.

22 hours ago, eal said:

Phones can send texts, pictures, heck, even your own voice and face can be seen by family halfway around the country. You don’t need to know that your 11th grade psychology classmate doesn’t vaccinate their kids.

But what phones can't do, and I've found this to be perhaps the most egregious issue at hand, is give you "followers". Perhaps that whole concept was flawed on the onset, too. 

The ego shoots to insane levels. To a point of perceived infallibility. And I fear that's where where the harm is -- that infallibility does not follow you offline. When you goof at a job and need to explain yourself, your "hot take" won't win the day and no one will be there to cheer for you. This sounds cold, but at the end of the day our strength, our confidence is built from our triumphs over adversity. When your reaction to adversity is to sic your crew on someone that does not work outside of twitter unless you are planning to become a mob boss professionally.

2020 just keeps going in a downward spiral for me at this point. I had a very difficult day on having to put my old cat down this afternoon. At the start of this entire pandemic I had a very strong mindset going into it. Now I am getting worn out from all of it. The last couple weeks I have been feeling so mindless just getting by and waiting for all of this to pass through. I just wanna hang out with my boys in person and play fighting games.

In response to @Fates
Unless you make money from it or use it to promote a project you’re working on, having Internet clout is practically worthless. And regardless, an army of people that all agree with you can be validating, but that doesn’t make you correct. I’ve seen scores of people spread misinformation on Twitter that their followers eat up. All that shows is that there are 10k nitwits out there willing to lap up what an e-celeb told them without exercising critical thinking or doing their own research.

Edited by eal

Ironically, of all the things I've been doing to stay sane as my husband, our roommate, and myself all hunker down and take medical leaves to stay home because 2/3 of us are diabetic  (an underlying condition that elevates our risk of dying of COVID), the one thing I could have done more of, posting here, I've done so little of.    It certainly couldn't hurt me to post here more regularly.  I like this crowd, and wish you all well... hope everyone is managing well enough, regardless of medical situation and give thanks to all who are still working their jobs.

• Like 1
Ironically, of all the things I've been doing to stay sane as my husband, our roommate, and myself all hunker down and take medical leaves to stay home because 2/3 of us are diabetic  (an underlying condition that elevates our risk of dying of COVID), the one thing I could have done more of, posting here, I've done so little of.    It certainly couldn't hurt me to post here more regularly.  I like this crowd, and wish you all well... hope everyone is managing well enough, regardless of medical situation and give thanks to all who are still working their jobs.
We've missed you!
  • Like 1

Welcome back

• Like 1

I was locked up. A few months before going home, the pandemic hit. Because of the closed quarters, hundreds of us got the virus.

MDOC had no idea how to handle. In fact, they still don't. I got home yesterday. But 36 hours before I went home, they said I tested positive again, and they suddenly moved me 60 miles away with no warning.

I was actually a lucky one though. In May, we started getting positive cases, and they housed those people in the same building as me. Two people died in the same building I was at.

I was looking forward to going home. I made an RPG for the TI-84. I have an outline for a novel I'm writing (similar to C.S. Lewis' Narnia series). And I was going to find a job... but now everyone is being furloughed. The last six months or so have been insane. I've had chaos in my life a lot, but never so many chaotic events back to back to back...

• Like 1