How is everyone during the crisis?

Driving back up from the beach, we passed through the vacation hotspot in my state (which uncoincidentally currently has the largest number of cases in the state). Just driving through, we passed by a few mom and pop restaurants that you could see through the windows where packed with 30 - 40 people. Maybe 5% of those people were wearing masks, if I'm being generous.

• Like 1
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, they already are. Lately more and more people seem to view masks as more of a safety blanket. Wearing a mask, but the nose is still exposed. Wearing a mask, yet sipping from a Starbucks cup.

I’m standing in line to get into Walmart, which is a #$*!ed up concept in and of itself, and out of nowhere the guy next to me gets as close to me as is humanly possible without being in physical cont

The issue I have is the President of the United States of America shouldn’t be blowing hot air or trolling. And the people shouldn’t have to wade through his nonsense to find genuine policy positions.

Posted Images

I don't like the whole "masks are a sham," but I don't like the whole, "WEAR A #$*!ING MASK REEEEEEEE!!" nonsense either. And I don't like how people are posting pictures of random strangers on their social media and going out of their way to attack them.

On Friday I was sketching at Starbucks when this happened. Two groups of people came in - none were regulars. One was a couple in their late 40s/early 50s who didn't have masks. They opened and held the door for the other group, so they didn't see the sign on the door. They came in and the manager promptly told them masks were required. They didn't have any. He said that was OK, handed them a menu, and asked for them to wait outside. They obliged. He went outside, took their order, and brought it to them. After they left the manager came behind me and took a picture of their car. It really struck me as odd. If it was to report them, the state ordinance wasn't going to go into effect for another two hours. Or worse, post their license plate on social media, opening these people up to all kinds of trouble.

There have been many stories from retail workers about customers fighting back against masks. This wasn't one of those stories. The couple was extremely polite and respected the store's policy. There wasn't a single furrowed brow or bad word uttered. Literally the ideal situation. I hope I'm wrong.

What's the point of "saving lives" when you've made the world a hostile place?

• Like 1

Coworker is really really sick and possibly has it. So now I'm doing the job of two people, plus my own.

I haven't been this tired since I worked in a warehouse.

Also, my state is led by a bunch of dumb #$*!s that still have not implemented a masking order and will more than likely not close again once the second wave hits.

• Like 1

Also, my state is led by a bunch of dumb #$*!s that still have not implemented a masking order and will more than likely not close again once the second wave hits.

Sitting home & hiding from the crashing 2nd wave in Florida right now. Figuring out how to reopen schools right now. My private school will be opening and I'll have to watch a mask (good), but the kids... . Elementary kids are going to make a mess of mask-wearing. I've been there for 20 years. They can't wear their shirts right, can't tie their shoes, and lose literally everything not tied to them almost daily. Haha, oh it's going to be a hot mess. Sat in on a Zoom conference call for my son's school. Wow, that principal had 85% of the answers (his hands are tied by the school board), but still the questions he was fielding... whew. It's not going to be a happy start for anyone. And we start in less than a month.
  • Like 1

Sitting home & hiding from the crashing 2nd wave in Florida right now. Figuring out how to reopen schools right now. My private school will be opening and I'll have to watch a mask (good), but the kids... . Elementary kids are going to make a mess of mask-wearing. I've been there for 20 years. They can't wear their shirts right, can't tie their shoes, and lose literally everything not tied to them almost daily. Haha, oh it's going to be a hot mess. Sat in on a Zoom conference call for my son's school. Wow, that principal had 85% of the answers (his hands are tied by the school board), but still the questions he was fielding... whew. It's not going to be a happy start for anyone. And we start in less than a month.
A lot of teachers default to the high risk demographic. Nobody's even talking about the threat posed to them if schools open up again.

Things need to just stay online. I totally understand that a lot of kids probably just don't learn anything remotely compared to in-class but dems da breaks. I'd rather that than have more people die en masse.

But I dunno. I don't have the answers I guess.
  • Like 1

Things need to just stay online.

Quiet, you! I have teachers that are clients.

Elementary kids are going to make a mess of mask-wearing.

Adults aren't much better. For all the mask touting, most people don't wear them right. Are you washing the cloth ones every day? No, of course not. Too many people wear the same blue n95 mask over and over and it shows! Y'all're gross.

Even though I live in Texas, I really don't see that many far right types. In fact, I see more pro Trump and gun stuff in Washington and Oregon! But I was at the grocery store last weekend and discovered a treasure. It was a gentleman of considerable length and girth. He was wearing a shirt with a Trump logo on the front and an Infowars logo on the back. His mask? A full plastic face mask of a very angry Alex Jones. I hit the self-checkout. He did not. I imagine he makes a lot of Facebook posts about self-checkouts.

Ran outside to see if I could get a creeper pic. By the time I saw him he'd already taken his mask off, but he drove a raised El Camino form the 70's! I can't be mad! This man was definitely unique!

Afterwards I fired up the Google Machine to find the mask. Sure enough, the Infowars store sells them for $9.95. I don't want to give that awful man money, but if you buy one you get four free! With a deal like that I can't afford not to!

27 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

He was wearing a shirt with a Trump logo on the front and an Infowars logo on the back.

The only time I’ve ever seen an Infowars shirt out in the wild was on a very attractive jogger, well, jogging by my apartment as I was walking in. I did a double take to check her out, but only because I needed to confirm with my own eyes that someone was wearing an Infowars shirt.

• Like 1

I wear my cloth ones once and dump them in the washing machine. It helps my mother-in-law and sister-in-law have made thousands, so we have a good stack. Stopping today to buy more cloth for matching bow ties and masks I'm getting made for the school year. Will be "fun"

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/348328-ron-desantis-calls-on-fema-to-help-relieve-floridas-nurse-shortage

How's Florida? Not good.

Was chillaxing at the neighbors' pool yesterday & heard a couple bad stories. My friends husband is a nurse in the ER at the local hospital. They're laying off nurses due to shortage of money (apparently because they're getting so few "emergencies" walking in because people are scared to go), and conditions are getting bad. He almost quit the other day as he was working on a patient that was coding for almost an hour to stabilize him and when he walked out of the room he got chewed out for leaving someone with heart attack symptoms alone in the next room for an hour (note: he wasn't even informed that patient was wheeled in). He almost quit on the spot as it's been like that for a bit. To top it all off his mother was in a hospital in Miami with cardiac problems the past few days. She estimated seeing a nurse once per about every 6-8 hours, and got double-dosed with one drug and not given another she needed becuase things weren't being put in her chart. Heck, the only reason my friend found out is he could log in to her records online and since he knows what he's seeing, he called the hospital 300 miles away to let them know.

Our local mall is hosting a carnival.5c06cb9dd94e94673877b9b722f57fa4.jpg

On 7/13/2020 at 10:12 AM, Plattym3 said:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/348328-ron-desantis-calls-on-fema-to-help-relieve-floridas-nurse-shortage

How's Florida? Not good.

Was chillaxing at the neighbors' pool yesterday & heard a couple bad stories. My friends husband is a nurse in the ER at the local hospital. They're laying off nurses due to shortage of money (apparently because they're getting so few "emergencies" walking in because people are scared to go), and conditions are getting bad. He almost quit the other day as he was working on a patient that was coding for almost an hour to stabilize him and when he walked out of the room he got chewed out for leaving someone with heart attack symptoms alone in the next room for an hour (note: he wasn't even informed that patient was wheeled in). He almost quit on the spot as it's been like that for a bit. To top it all off his mother was in a hospital in Miami with cardiac problems the past few days. She estimated seeing a nurse once per about every 6-8 hours, and got double-dosed with one drug and not given another she needed becuase things weren't being put in her chart. Heck, the only reason my friend found out is he could log in to her records online and since he knows what he's seeing, he called the hospital 300 miles away to let them know.

Heartbreaking. I've heard of similar things happening all over the place. 

• Like 1

Sat down with my boss for the first time in 5 months yesterday. Her assistant moved to Arizona and she's pretty much alone heading our elementary school this year. She's not good. It's too much and upper management is rough. Gonna be a crappy year.

Since we're going to be wearing masks full time this year, I went to Hobby Lobby for fabric today. My mother-in-law is going to make me matching bow ties & masks. The manager of the store was chatting with the lady checking me out who asked why I was buying what I had. When I told her what they were for the manager started dancing a little jig and pointing to all the clerks saying he told them so. The cashier rolled her eyes and confirmed the guy indeed talked in their staff meeting that morning & said he thought it would be by the end of the week before someone came in looking to make matching ties/masks/pocket squares. Glad I could make that dude's day.

• Like 1

I felt like I have been handeling this entire situation pretty well since Michigan's lockdown back in March. Well, i was until the past week.

As some context, my mom has poor health. So she is high risk with COVID-19. Five medical professionals have told her as well. But now Michigan has made masks "mandatory".

So what do the idiots in Michigan start doing? They start getting mad and upset about the mandatory masks because of "Muh freedom". MANY of these kind people are in my mom's side of the family. So she starts pretty much saying that people making a big deal out of the masks being mandatory. Several of her actual brothers and sisters, are telling her she is over reacting. Even though they FULLY KNOW of her health condition. One of them even went as far as calling it as a "culling of the weak" a couple days ago. Even though many of these people were nowhere upset about the lockdown itself. But because a "liberal" pushed the order for it. They are going through any lengths to paint it as a freedom issue.

So imagine how my mother is feeling right now. Her brothers and sisters really don't give a damn about her health. Spreading false information on masks, and sprouting " but muh freedom". And one of them has the audacity of calling it a "culling of the weak".

So I have gone on a personal crusade of sorts on terrible family members. My goal is to keep posting trusted sources in their comments on facebook and pretty much trying to upset them in  as many subtle ways as possible. So far I have 3 of them that have removed and blocked me. Honestly, I am pretty glad on it since I really never liked most of my extended family to begin with. I have sacrificed spending time with my friends in person since March. But now idiots are going around and spreading misinformation and just making the situation worse. Our country would have been well over it at this point if people simply wore masks and washed their damn hands. Selfishness is ruining it for everyone else.

So I am probably going to upset some users on this site by saying this. But if you honestly believe that mandatory masks are against your rights, you need to get your #$*! together. Responsibility and accountability are completely different then rights. If the old lady down my street that has COPD with a mask just fine. So can you.

Sorry for getting all political. But wearing masks shouldn't be "political" to begin with.

Edited by Twinkie
  • Like 1
I felt like I have been handeling this entire situation pretty well since Michigan's lockdown back in March. Well, i was until the past week.

As some context, my mom has poor health. So she is high risk with COVID-19. Five medical professionals have told her as well. But now Michigan has made masks "mandatory".

So what do the idiots in Michigan start doing? They start getting mad and upset about the mandatory masks because of "Muh freedom". MANY of these kind people are in my mom's side of the family. So she starts pretty much saying that people making a big deal out of the masks being mandatory. Several of her actual brothers and sisters, are telling her she is over reacting. Even though they FULLY KNOW of her health condition. One of them even went as far as calling it as a "culling of the weak" a couple days ago. Even though many of these people were nowhere upset about the lockdown itself. But because a "liberal" pushed the order for it. They are going through any lengths to paint it as a freedom issue.

So imagine how my mother is feeling right now. Her brothers and sisters really don't give a damn about her health. Spreading false information on masks, and sprouting " but muh freedom". And one of them has the audacity of calling it a "culling of the weak".

So I have gone on a personal crusade of sorts on terrible family members. My goal is to keep posting trusted sources in their comments on facebook and pretty much trying to upset them in  as many subtle ways as possible. So far I have 3 of them that have removed and blocked me. Honestly, I am pretty glad on it since I really never liked most of my extended family to begin with. I have sacrificed spending time with my friends in person since March. But now idiots are going around and spreading misinformation and just making the situation worse. Our country would have been well over it at this point if people simply wore masks and washed their damn hands. Selfishness is ruining it for everyone else.

So I am probably going to upset some users on this site by saying this. But if you honestly believe that mandatory masks are against your rights, you need to get your #$*! together. Responsibility and accountability are completely different then rights. If the old lady down my street that has COPD with a mask just fine. So can you.
Sorry for getting all political. But wearing masks shouldn't be "political" to begin with.
Agreed. Geeze, just look at any news footage of Asian countries for the past couple decades. Outbreaks? They all wear masks. It doesn't become crazy. Masks don't need to be politicized, they need to be worn.

I get what you're coming from with family. My uncle unfriended me a couple years back during election cycles because he didn't like my lighthearted banter with his son/my cousin. We were both using factual arguments against his lovely preferences (throwing out their actual quotes to disprove things), and I mean I guess he wouldn't go as far as unfriending his son, so it was buh-bye me. I've all but blocked my brother-in-law who believes every conspiracy theory can be solved with his trusty guns (seriously I don't know how he manages to get them into literally every non-gun related discussion). I've managed to mute him and I've removed Facebook from my phone for 45 day stretches to force me to stop clicking on it out of habit. It's also helped me stop thinking ill of all the idiots I used to see on there.

I'm just glad pretty much the only half dozen or so places I shop now have mask policies, because my county never will. In fact, our idiot Representative is literally traveling around Florida sueing every city and county that passes a mask mandate. Is kinda funny because he's getting thrown out of damn near every court, but it's not stopping his crusade. Then again in our rural county with maybe 2 or 3 really casual peaceful marches a couple months ago he kept tweeting out AK-47 pictures of how he'd deal with people. Real nice guy.

We’ve had masks as a requirement since May, and I haven’t heard many complaints in my day-to-day interactions. It actually works out for me because that just means I can go a few extra days without giving my beard a trim lol. There have been some inconveniences, such as when I finally got a haircut or a trip to the dentist, but all in all, it’s been just fine.

Whatever keeps those around me safe. people act like their rights are being stripped away from them by requiring masks, but you wouldn’t bat an eye (and would likely be glad) if a store kicked out a customer that wasn’t wearing a shirt. I just think it’s something that we owe to each other. It would make me angry if other people weren’t respecting, say, my grandmother’s safety by wearing a mask around her, so it’s only right that I wear one too.

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Agreed. Geeze, just look at any news footage of Asian countries for the past couple decades. Outbreaks? They all wear masks. It doesn't become crazy. Masks don't need to be politicized, they need to be worn.

I get what you're coming from with family. My uncle unfriended me a couple years back during election cycles because he didn't like my lighthearted banter with his son/my cousin. We were both using factual arguments against his lovely preferences (throwing out their actual quotes to disprove things), and I mean I guess he wouldn't go as far as unfriending his son, so it was buh-bye me. I've all but blocked my brother-in-law who believes every conspiracy theory can be solved with his trusty guns (seriously I don't know how he manages to get them into literally every non-gun related discussion). I've managed to mute him and I've removed Facebook from my phone for 45 day stretches to force me to stop clicking on it out of habit. It's also helped me stop thinking ill of all the idiots I used to see on there.

I had my rounds with family for similar reasons for a while now. I think a big part of the problem is that my mom was always the "black sheep" out of the 9 children. So considering that I am her only son, they really don't take anything I say into consideration and go as far as spreading fake rumors that my grandma starts up. So yeah, a lot of drama goes around. Somehow I have dealt with it for most of my life. But now I just don't care and want to move on. I will keep in contact with the ones that are worth keeping around. And I am not gonna lie. It feels fantastic to do it.

What makes me even more confused. Is that a close family friend unfortunately passed away from COVID. Yet they are still willing to pass this false narrative. I really can't wrap my head around that.

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I'm just glad pretty much the only half dozen or so places I shop now have mask policies, because my county never will. In fact, our idiot Representative is literally traveling around Florida sueing every city and county that passes a mask mandate. Is kinda funny because he's getting thrown out of damn near every court, but it's not stopping his crusade. Then again in our rural county with maybe 2 or 3 really casual peaceful marches a couple months ago he kept tweeting out AK-47 pictures of how he'd deal with people. Real nice guy.

Wow. I am at a loss of words with that. That is absurd.

2 hours ago, eal said:

We’ve had masks as a requirement since May, and I haven’t heard many complaints in my day-to-day interactions. It actually works out for me because that just means I can go a few extra days without giving my beard a trim lol. There have been some inconveniences, such as when I finally got a haircut or a trip to the dentist, but all in all, it’s been just fine.

Whatever keeps those around me safe. people act like their rights are being stripped away from them by requiring masks, but you wouldn’t bat an eye (and would likely be glad) if a store kicked out a customer that wasn’t wearing a shirt. I just think it’s something that we owe to each other. It would make me angry if other people weren’t respecting, say, my grandmother’s safety by wearing a mask around her, so it’s only right that I wear one too.

Even if I was in a different situation. I would still be wearing a mask knowing full well that I am at least helping the spread of it to those that are vulnerable. You would think that most people would at least know someone that is vulnerable to do their part on doing the same as well. I am probably over generalizing this a bit. The people that I have seen getting upset over stores turning customers away from not wearing masks, are usually the same people who want stores to be able to turn down customers for any reason they feel like.

• Like 1
Even if I was in a different situation. I would still be wearing a mask knowing full well that I am at least helping the spread of it to those that are vulnerable. You would think that most people would at least know someone that is vulnerable to do their part on doing the same as well. I am probably over generalizing this a bit. The people that I have seen getting upset over stores turning customers away from not wearing masks, are usually the same people who want stores to be able to turn down customers for any reason they feel like.
Exactly. How many people complain about freedom and it's their right not to wear a mask. Well... that same exact freedom and right not to have you as a customer is why you're not allowed in! Can't have 1 without the other.

My state finally just issued a mask order. I gues Governor MeeMaw woke up from her nap and just learned what was going on.

In an interesting twist, we got told yesterday that the school is offering us free lunch daily this next school year. Which is amazing as we have a company that cooks on campus and does a better-than-average job! They've always given us 5 free meals a month as an odd bonus, but daily works!

And I'm 100% sure it's less of an incentive or THANKS for us as it is something contractually. They're only allowing middle and high school students on campus 2 out of 5 days a week, rotating kids by last name so that rooms are ~10 kids/class so I'm guessing the contact with food services is for a certain number of meals. Haha, either way, I'm glad to eat up!

• 4 weeks later...

I feel like the country just collectively forgot the President of the United States told us injecting disinfectant could be a viable option to kill COVID-19 in the body.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, eal said:

I feel like the country just collectively forgot the President of the United States told us injecting disinfectant could be a viable option to kill COVID-19 in the body.

I mean, he technically isn't wrong on that. Helps prevent the spread of it too lol

In all seriousness. all of the petty garbage that comes out of his mouth is just embarrassing. And then wonders why other countries are not taking us seriously. His entire election just felt like one big Twitter flame war that he keeps adding fuel for.

The postal service stuff that has surfaced is pretty upsetting too. A couple of my close friends works in the postal service industry. And we all know why he is doing it.

I mean, he technically isn't wrong on that. Helps prevent the spread of it too lol

In all seriousness. all of the petty garbage that comes out of his mouth is just embarrassing. And then wonders why other countries are not taking us seriously. His entire election just felt like one big Twitter flame war that he keeps adding fuel for.

The postal service stuff that has surfaced is pretty upsetting too. A couple of my close friends works in the postal service industry. And we all know why he is doing it.
It's hard to not know why he's doing it after he flat out admitted to it on television.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

It's hard to not know why he's doing it after he flat out admitted to it on television.

I wasn't aware that he said it outright.

Well, at least he is upfront about it. Even at the cost of upsetting rural voters as well.

I wasn't aware that he said it outright.

Well, at least he is upfront about it. Even at the cost of upsetting rural voters as well.
His supporters likely won't ever be upset by anything he does.