How is everyone during the crisis?

So, a big bad killed the Hero(es), and released a pandemic upon the world. While we're not in the World of Ruin (yet), #$*! is real right now.

How's everyone doing during all of this? Some folk we know (Platty went on a bender and went on vacation), but...

I'm considered an essential worker (damnit), so I'm actually gearing up for work right now. :D: IMMA TAKING MAH SWITCH THO~

• Like 1
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, they already are. Lately more and more people seem to view masks as more of a safety blanket. Wearing a mask, but the nose is still exposed. Wearing a mask, yet sipping from a Starbucks cup.

I’m standing in line to get into Walmart, which is a #$*!ed up concept in and of itself, and out of nowhere the guy next to me gets as close to me as is humanly possible without being in physical cont

The issue I have is the President of the United States of America shouldn’t be blowing hot air or trolling. And the people shouldn’t have to wade through his nonsense to find genuine policy positions.

Posted Images

Oh God, I know I’m gonna curse myself for saying this but I’ve been flourishing. I like being around people on weekends, but, for the most part, I prefer solitude so lack of human interaction doesn’t bother me. I get plenty of that at work, which has given us a few random days off through the week. I actually have tomorrow off, in fact. Financially, things have lined up for me so I’m fine in that department. While my family are losing their minds from boredom I have a stack of games I’m working my way through at a faster rate than ever. I’m at no real risk of buying any more games because I’m not doing any pleasure spending (okay, a little). It’s too much of a hassle to do so nowadays. I stood in line for about 15 minutes just to get to the Whole Foods Amazon lockers. And yes, the lines are annoying, but I’m having no issues finding what I need at the grocery store. I even found toilet paper last week!

Obviously, I’m aware that I’m very privileged. I work in an industry that is considered essential, so I have job security, but doesn’t beat down and abuse its employees the way a lot of “essential” classified industries do. So I’m not facing any economic uncertainty the way many, many people are. I’m in an age demographic that isn’t commonly at risk. I have a personality type that enjoys staying home. This situation has offered me the chance to observe the way people react to a crisis, as well as complete isolation that has afforded me a level of self reflection. I’m almost afraid to post this because, with my luck, just acknowledging it will cause it to all come apart instantly. But for now, I’m doing quite well, all things considered.

• Like 1

I’m doing alright. Like eal talked about, I’ve been playing games and have been content with some alone time. I know it’s a stressful time, but frankly I’m glad to have some time away from work. Being furloughed was a shock, but thankfully we were able to file for unemployment and our health insurance is still active.

I’m not the most social, but like I said, I’m content with the alone time. I’m an only child anyway, so hanging out by myself and finding my own source of entertainment has been a normal part of my life for years. I’ve got plenty of games to play, the Dragon Quest Monsters+ manga books to read and some other books I’d like to get to, I’ve got some recipe books I’ve been meaning to look through, and some computer projects as well.

My current distraction is Sega Genesis games. It’s been a great change of pace, and like going through the SNES game library a few years ago it’s been fun to check out all kinds of games from the Genesis. The 16-bit era is a fascinating era of gaming.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Eh.

I'm not an anti-social person and am involved with a lot of stuff. It's not fun being cut off from that. The parks are still open, so I make sure to keep as much of my schedule as I can, get out, and exercise. Pearl clutching, moral authority biddies on NextDoor have been making posts like, "I walked past a house and there were TEENS having a pool party!" "There were children playing! We need to do something about this!" So trolling them has been fun.

The whole "stay inside, watch TV, play games, and get fat" thing gets to me. I abhor sloth. I'm a freelancer, plus I got a ton of other stuff going on. This is not a vacation for me and getting back up to speed means I have to work even harder.

• Like 1

I live with some members of the at-risk population (not counting their other medical concerns) and because my six foot circle was broken last week I've been camping out in my room as a precaution to keep my landlords from catching it. It's not so bad, thanks to the internet. I'll be in here for another week to see if I develop symptoms.

Honestly... I love this and don't want it to end. It's the best thing that has happened to me since my daughter's birth. I am getting paid to stay at home and take care of a lot of things that have been neglected for too long. I am getting time to play games. I am getting time to do online school work. I am getting time to spend with my significant other. Most importantly, I am getting time to spend with my child. I really couldn't be happier.

• Like 1

I'd probably be slightly happier if I didn't have to work (since I hate the place), but all things considered, I'm doing pretty well.

Honestly... I love this and don't want it to end. It's the best thing that has happened to me since my daughter's birth. I am getting paid to stay at home and take care of a lot of things that have been neglected for too long. I am getting time to play games. I am getting time to do online school work. I am getting time to spend with my significant other. Most importantly, I am getting time to spend with my child. I really couldn't be happier.
I'm 50% this, loving being at home and really I'm doing very little work. Maybe 6-8 hours/week, if that. Went blueberry picking today (not much more social distance than 40 people picking on 40 acres today) and got 3 gallons of freshness! Playing outside during daylight with my sons, lots of gaming after they sleep, some when they're awake (playing Luigi's Mansion co-op with my oldest, almost done!) Netflix and chill with the wife, all is good!

BUT... I'm 50% concerned about the $10K-$12K I'm going to be missing out on. My salary is fine and covers most everything of need. But 5 times a year I get a nice big bonus based on how many kids are in my afterschool clubs & summer camps. I'd just begun teaching every single kid in the entire school this year and my Jan-March bonus was my biggest in 7 years because now ALL the kids know me and sign up. Likely my April/May and summer camps would've been equally as nice. Sadly, I doubt I'll be seeing a penny of that. Trying to get my wife to literally stop buying anything but food is... challenging. The biggest tax refund we've ever received and the money coming from the government will help, but I hope not to have to touch any of it. So, this really quite sucks for me financially. I'm getting paid, health insurance and all, but I easily make 20-30% of my take-home pay based on bonuses that just won't be there.
So, a big bad killed the Hero(es), and released a pandemic upon the world. While we're not in the World of Ruin (yet), #$*! is real right now.

How's everyone doing during all of this? Some folk we know (Platty went on a bender and went on vacation), but...
I'm considered an essential worker (damnit), so I'm actually gearing up for work right now. :D: IMMA TAKING MAH SWITCH THO~
It was 18 Corona lites. More bloated than bender

The (s)hits keep coming. Turns out my wife offered to watch her friend's kids while she gives birth in a day or a week. So, we'll have 5 kids here for a few days. Ages 7, 6, 4, 3, & 1. It was hell last year when we watched the 2 when the other was born.

9 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

The (s)hits keep coming. Turns out my wife offered to watch her friend's kids while she gives birth in a day or a week. So, we'll have 5 kids here for a few days. Ages 7, 6, 4, 3, & 1. It was hell last year when we watched the 2 when the other was born.

Better make sure all this little basta- I mean, precious angels wash their hands constantly.

• Like 1

bad tbh

I've dealt with anxiety and depression since I was 12, and the anxiety/obssessive side was relating to disease and germs. Years of therapy helped...

It was like this: "You need to get out of the house and stop washing your hands so much". Now: "Stay the hell inside and wash the hell out of your hands" 😩

At least work is kinda letting up a BIT *knocks on wood*

• Like 1

Something that's been getting to me lately have been all the moral authority dicks. Not the folks who are genuinely concerned for the well being of others. The ones who just want to control others because they often have no control over their own lives. It's obvious. They think of themselves as a legitimate news source. They've stopped posting political propaganda and now they post pseudoscience to stop people from doing necessary things like grocery shopping and exercise. They think they're actual heroes for staying inside and consuming product.

I saw one comment that said, "How many children and elderly will YOU murder today by going outside??" Oh, hundreds, I hope! Thousands, if I'm lucky! I'm a one-man ISIS!!
I know what to do. I'm staying safe. You have no authority over me, so butt out of my business. I gotta do what I need to do. In fact, I even have a permit for it.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Not that I need to complain, but workload is about to double. I work at a private school and apparently it's not enough live FaceTime with kids (Zoom Time?). So, next week I'm going from 2 to 7 hours of live classes. Not bad since it's mainly the same lesson 10 times and another 4 times, takes about 10 minutes and then 20 of Q & A and chit chat. Will mean less prep as I've spent most time prerecording stuff, but more time live. Homeroom teachers are easily doing 15-20ish hours live. I have a job, still doing less than normal. Quiet and happy!

Not handling it well, to be honest. I'm still going in to work every day when I don't feel that my job should really be all that essential. My anxiety which I thought was conquered has returned, as I'm afraid I'll catch this virus and die or spread it to my wife/father/grandmother all of whom are high risk. Since my wife can't work from home and watch our toddler, every day I continue to go in he has to be carted off to a grandparent, further putting everyone at risk.

On the plus side, chances are I'll still have a job coming out of this. If not I, then definitely my wife.

I work in a mostly secluded office, except that it is adjoined by the mailroom where couriers from all over the medical campus filter in an out. It's also visited daily by USPS, UPS, and FedEx workers.

I just gained the ability to work from home...but it will only be possible to do half of my job that way, so I will still have to come in 3 days out of the week. Part of the reason for that is so I can also cover for the computer room guy who somehow gets carted blanche to take off so he can watch his son.

I've just about exhausted myself on some days with worry and my mind playing tricks on me...just ten minutes ago I was having trouble breathing and started getting lightheaded but it went away. No doubt my douchebag brain doing its thing to psyche me out.

Oh and to top it all off I'm sick. I'm like 98% certain it's just a sinus infection, but since I haven't had a fever, I can't go get tested for COVID and assuage my fears. So there's that.

I'm not in a good place, so I'll go ahead and apologize for this, but: all these quarantine memes about people complaining about the torture of having to stay home make me a little bit angrier each and every day. If you are able to self-quarantine, please for #$*!'s sake be thankful. Most of the people in isolation will be able to emerge from this totally healthy. I get that jokes are part of the coping process of dealing with boredom and loneliness, but holy hell I don't feel bad for you. We live in the best time to deal with something like this where every conceivable means of entertainment is made instantly obtainable to a very large number of people and so many people's jobs can be done remotely yet we have this backwards mentality where businesses and governments wait until the last possible moment to shut down all nonessential jobs.

I guess I should look at the other side, where a lot of these people who are quarantining might not have a job when this is over. I already have friends who have lost theirs...but damn your health is way more important than your job, your possessions, or the economy at large.

/rant

Sorry. If anything, this has highlighted the fact that I need to seek therapy once this is all over.

^ thats good news in lieu of all of those who are losing their jobs. It's really scary.

It's weird but not horrible thus far. 

I had a baby right around when everything got locked down. I'm an essential employee so I'm on normal parent leave. I go back next week. 

I kinda wish I was mandated to stay at home, but then again I'm happy to have a steady job at a time like this. 

It's also strange not getting to enjoy the baby thing with my family. They're all terrified of the baby being exposed. 

As for the social distancing stuff, I'm an introvert, so it does not bother me at all. 

• Like 1

I’m standing in line to get into Walmart, which is a #$*!ed up concept in and of itself, and out of nowhere the guy next to me gets as close to me as is humanly possible without being in physical contact with me and starts talking to me, apropos of nothing, about how great Trump is for giving us money, the number of times his nose has been broken, how much he hates Southies, and race war.

• Like 3

This thing is bringing out the best in us. /s

Based on some of the stuff he shared with me, this conversation in line to get into Walmart was him at his best.

• Like 2

That's fantastic! This thing has brought out creepy dudes where there were no creepy dudes before. Like I've been at Target and the grocery store and several times some older dude has come looming up behind my shoulder. I wink and say, "Haaaay." That makes 'em back off.

But honestly, the rejection still hurts.

• Like 1

mandatory mask order goes into effect tomorrow morning in Maryland

they gave me one when I had the flu earlier this year, but I took it off after I left the exam room and no one said anything... I was suffocating with it

well, good thing some just arrived today

I was planning on getting a new computer now that Windows 7 is obsolete. However, people needing computers to work from home and take classes has led to a lot of computers being sold out. Since I won’t be able to buy a computer for the foreseeable future (and I don’t want to shell out $150 for a Windows 10 update that I’ll use for a month or two max), is it fine to just keep using my current computer as is with Kaspersky for now?

Yes, because I hate Windows 10. It's total bloat and does random crap like rearranging my icons for no reason.

My state is easing some of the restrictions. I'm not the biggest fan of our governor (it's the lt. governor that's really gone off the rails) but it sounds...eh. OK? Some of them were things people were already doing anyway, like non-essential business doing curbside. (Some business is better than none.) We'll see how it goes. Texas has a lot of industries that benefit other states and unemployment is being overloaded. All of the safety precautions are still there, so for now I'm hoping easing back into things works out.

I just wish I hadn't dropped nearly $200 bucks on graduation invitations for it to be cancelled two days later!

Yeah, I’m not a fan of Windows 10 either. My laptop I’ve had the past 3 years has Windows 10 and boy does it like to do some stupid #$*! for no reason. I already don’t like to use computers much anyway, but Windows 7 was pretty good on my previous laptop.

I got that stimulus check in my bank account today. I just ended up moving the money to my savings account. Not spending a bunch of money this year on stuff I don’t need has helped me save extra cash for the essentials.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit