Mooshry

Need Name monsters

Posted (edited)

I think it’s time that the monsters page on DQX needs an update. Mainly to decrease the amount of “Need Names” to the minimum. A lot of those monsters, like the Face Invader and Queen Slime already have official names. Also, i’ve noticed that there are many outdated names like the ChopClown instead of Prickly Prankster. And Crabus instead of Handsome Crab. I’d like to see the page updated just a little.

Edited by Mooshry
added some stuff

I think it’s time that the monsters page on DQX needs an update. Mainly to decrease the amount of “Need Names” to the minimum. A lot of those monsters, like the Face Invader and Queen Slime already have official names. Also, i’ve noticed that there are many outdated names like the ChopClown instead of Prickly Prankster. And Crabus instead of Handsome Crab. I’d like to see the page updated just a little.
The problem with using localization names for a game that hasn't been localized is that when people need to reference those monsters for playing DQX, it's needless confusion. If I'm looking for Chop Clown, I'm not going to know that I really should be looking for whatever its modern English localized name is.

7 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
20 minutes ago, Mooshry said:

The problem with using localization names for a game that hasn't been localized is that when people need to reference those monsters for playing DQX, it's needless confusion. If I'm looking for Chop Clown, I'm not going to know that I really should be looking for whatever its modern English localized name is.

That makes sense, but why are Dragon Quest Swords names being used for monsters like the Great Troll and Metal King Slime?

That makes sense, but why are Dragon Quest Swords names being used for monsters like the Great Troll and Metal King Slime?
Metal King Slime is in all the DWM games, Joker too I believe.

19 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
On 3/18/2020 at 1:46 PM, Mooshry said:

Metal King Slime is in all the DWM games, Joker too I believe.

But instead of being called "Metal King Slime", the DQX monster list lists it as "King Latem", who was a mirror boss in a spinoff.

• Like 1

But instead of being called "Metal King Slime", the DQX monster list lists it as "King Latem", who was a mirror boss in a spinoff.
Haha, metal backwards.

Gotcha!

I will update the list if someone wants to give me a list of what to change.

I still plan on sending @Woodus a list of modern localizations (where applicable) for DQX and other games. I do think the beastiary should display Japanese names alongside the english though, and for unlocalized games, perhaps a transliteration collumn too, so it's easier to look them up. I know much of this data already exists in the separate Monster Wiki... Is there a particular reason the beastiary and the Monster Wiki are separate entities? I'd vote to merge the two given the choice.

Hmmm....

They pull from the same data, so I could start displaying the JPN name on the lists for each game (some of the names got messed up on one of the imports though since MS Excel doesn't support UTF-8 very well).