DranzerX13

Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken gets JPN Blu-ray release July 3, 2020

Posted (edited)

It is because the mailing system in Japan is kind of halted right now. This should clear up by next month sometime hopefully.

Edited by DranzerX13

Posted (edited)

Sometime next week, I'll be making a torrent for the Blu-ray rips (with English fansubs) of just the films first. Short films 2 and 3 never had English fansubs to begin with, and now will be the first time. The first short film is just a pilot that was shown at the Toei Animation Fair a few months before the TV series aired in Japan. As for the episodes, they've been Quality Checked, Translation Checked, recaps and next episode previews all translated. I will release the episodes the week after that because I need to time shift the subtitles to match the Blu-ray video and audio.

Edited by DranzerX13
  • Like 1

Not all heroes wear caps.

On 7/1/2020 at 8:19 PM, DranzerX13 said:

Sometime next week, I'll be making a torrent for the Blu-ray rips (with English fansubs) of just the films first. Short films 2 and 3 never had English fansubs to begin with, and now will be the first time. The first short film is just a pilot that was shown at the Toei Animation Fair a few months before the TV series aired in Japan. As for the episodes, they've been Quality Checked, Translation Checked, recaps and next episode previews all translated. I will release the episodes the week after that because I need to time shift the subtitles to match the Blu-ray video and audio.

Can you make the subtitle files available separately, I'd rather use my own rips?

The box is a lot smaller than I thought when they showed it on stream the other week. For some reason I thought it was going to huge.

I'll have them both in video and separately.
giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7c13448dfdd79f63bd2c6369aab30c1f97831ee8a&rid=giphy.gif

And now that GIF reminds me that there was a Lego Masters Australia and I need to find that torrent when I get home. My kids loved that show.

I'll have them both in video and separately.

~~You should be able to extract them using MKVMerge.~~

Nvm, can't read apparently.

3 hours ago, DranzerX13 said:

And it has arrived, folks! I got the blu-ray set.

Dang that was fast. Looks mine mine should arrive tomorrow.

• Like 1

Jealous

Thousands of pages in, it's always nice to see some color there. I swear there are characters I've never seen colorized.

I ordered mine from Rakuten using Buyee. It arrived at their facility, and we will see how long it takes to get to me now. (I did not realize until after my order that the version I purchased does not have the Rakuten bonus, but with it being nearly $100 cheaper I decided I could live without a small wooden sword keychain.)

• Like 1

It didn't arrive until yesterday due to me changing the delivery address and DHL ignoring my date request. Binged disks 2 & 3 yesterday. Glad I finally got to see how the fight with Crocodine concluded. 😄

• Like 1

Mine just arrived today. It is a thing of beauty. The box feels nice, thick and strong. The booklet also isn't just some flimsy extra. It is well bound and glossy. I will probably translate the interviews in it some time soon. The restoration is gorgeous, and it is fun to see the small flaws in the animation that were not obvious in the subpar video release (Not to mention that the video tapes I owned were all from Japanese video rental stores selling their old stock) and smaller TVs.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 2:19 PM, DranzerX13 said:

I dunno about the rest of you guys, but I'm sure getting a hankering to go sailing the seas.

• Like 1

I ended up deciding to do 1 disc worth of episodes per week. Disc 1 is done, however I'm making some changes to Disc 2. I decided to downsize the Blu-ray encodes for Disc 2. 1920x1080 (4:3 extra black bars) > 1440x1080 (4:3 no black bars) plus FLAC audio.

https://nyaa.si/view/1260840 (Disc 1 Episodes 1-9)

• Like 2

Here is the first of the interviews.

Interview

Riku Sanjo

What was it like hearing that there was to be an anime adaption the first time?

I was surprised. Kind of like, "What, you can make an anime of it?" This was because, at the time the popular works in Jump would normally get an anime adaption, but I thought that "Dai" could not be an anime since there was the original "Dragon Quest" productions that it was based on. Then, once it was decided, I was shocked at the unusual speed that everything progressed. But at the time besides writing the script for "Dai" I was also writing articles for Jump, and I was writing the articles about articles about other anime so my impression was just that "My work has kind of increased". I was spending the whole day at the Jump Editorial department so it did not feel that difficult. My entire workload was too much. I was young (laugh).

How were the meetings between you and the anime staff for things like script writing and series composition?

We often had meetings with me the producer, the director, and the script writer discussing the larger direction of the story. Particularly I would do things like offer suggestions for things like new characters for content that was not in the manga such animated movies. It is at this time that I met Nobutaka Nishizawa, who years later I would meet up with again when I did script writing work for Toei Animation. When I was young, the animated movie that I found the most provocative was "Mazinger Z tai Ankoku Daishōgun". So I was very excited to meet and talk with it's director. The contents of the movie "Shinsei Rokudai Shoguo" highly reflect those emotions.

At the time that the anime was aired toys were also being sold, and things were exciting across various media.

I liked character toys from the start so I was touched to see the characters for a series I was involved with lined up on store shelves. In discussions with the toy producers, Takara (Now known as Takara Tomy) I was asked, "Sanjo Sensei, is there any type of goods that you would like?" So I said I would like something like the Star Wars figure line that was sold overseas. Since Dai is a party battle manga I wanted to keep the taste that "everyone is the main character" and wanted a toy series that had a lot of side characters released. After hearing this they made the "Adventure Hero Selection" toy series, which is the one I am most fond of. It is the only one that has Hadler and his 6 Commanders in color. I excitedly explained to the person in charge "There is even a toy of Carbonite Frozen Han Solo" which I think even now was the hint to the Frozen Leona campaign (laugh).

In the anime (Both TV series and Movies) please tell us an episode that you most closely empathized with.

The memory that is most vivid is the first movie. Since we were attempting trial of "anime debut through a movie" I collaborated with the staff as we puzzled over everything starting from the plot creation. If we started from "Derupa! Iruiru!" like in the manga then we could not show Dai's heroics. If we did "Dai Explodes!!!" then the final boss was a bit weak. So to deal with these sorts of issues we had the evil idol if Hadlar as an original feature to the anime, mixing elements from the one shot stories and the serialization. With the addition of Toshiko Fujita's lively voice to the finished work, I remember feeling extremely touched watching Dai moving around. This is the only animated work of "Dai" that has not been released to any home video product before, so along with my personal emotions it makes me especially happy.

Please give a message to the fans who have purchased the Blu-ray Box.

Everyone, thank you for the purchase. I thank you from my heart for not forgetting Dai over all these years, and for taking this Blu-ray Box into your hands. It's been so many years since the original broadcast, and we jumped over a laser-disc and DVD release (laugh), to go straight to a Blu-ray release. It is kind of like "Dai" to do that, and I think it is thanks to all of your continual support. Please keep your emotions over from these 30 years running, and continue to support the developments of "Dai". I am counting on you.

• Like 4

DranzerX13 and Mimas:  You are gifts to humanity.  Thank you.  :overjoyed2:

• Like 1

I ended up deciding to do 1 disc worth of episodes per week. Disc 1 is done, however I'm making some changes to Disc 2. I decided to downsize the Blu-ray encodes for Disc 2. 1920x1080 (4:3 extra black bars) > 1440x1080 (4:3 no black bars) plus FLAC audio.
https://nyaa.si/view/1260840 (Disc 1 Episodes 1-9)
Amazing! Got it and seeding for a good bit. Thank you so much for doing this! DQ Fandom owes you.

Mxe7z.jpg.b98edd623a437fdf653423611e14d437.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

Mxe7z.jpg.b98edd623a437fdf653423611e14d437.jpg

Yarr!  I be a pirate too till they officially release it in thee ole English matey.  Shiver me timbers!  

And great pic from DQ VII lol.  Very fitting.