Do You Like Dragon Quest II?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

I’ve been playing the Switch version of DQ2 lately in the evenings, and I forgot I enjoyed the game so much. It got me thinking, how does everyone else feel about the game.

So, simple question for you folks of the Den: do you like Dragon Quest II or not? Doesn’t matter which version, or maybe one version in particular got you to like the game. However you want to answer.

As I said, I like the game. The game is difficult at times but I love the open world you can set and explore once you obtain the ship, and how you can do a number of activities in any order you want. The spell lists of Cannock and Moonbrooke are fun to work with as they can help cripple enemy encounters to turn the tide of battle in your favor (and for such low MP too). It has my favorite soundtrack of the Erdrick trilogy, and while it’s not the most popular game in the series I think it’s a good time.

Also, it has my favorite boxart of the series. It’s a great piece of art.spacer.png

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Yes. I finally beat it on GBC a couple years ago on the Retron 5 that I just accidentally fried a couple hours ago. Been trying to find it's power cable. I tried one earlier that immediately literally caught the system on fire, in my hand, without even turning it on. Now I'm sad because I wanted to try my newfound hiragana skills on DQ6. I gave my NES and SNES to my mom since I had the Retron, now I don't have anything to play my retro games on. It also scared the #$*! out of me. Otherwise I'm alright, and on the plus side, I do have a set of spare cartridge ports that cold potentially be used to build ROM dumpers...

Anyway, back to DQ2, I own the NES, GBC, iOS, and Switch versions. I've always found the NES version just a tad too hard to start out, and the difficulty only seems to ramp up exponentially from there. I've never finished it. The GBC version is much more playable. There's still a bit of a grind, but it doesn't get too annoying. The iOS version is a broken, steaming pile of crap (I hear the Android version is better, though it just hasn't been a priority since I switched to Android). I've never finished it, and probably never will, as I've switched to Android. Switch version I bought on day one but I've hardly touched yet. Just got Moonbrooke (Medea, this time; and Cannock is Keifer). As far as I can tell, the Switch version is based on the PS4 version, based on the mobile version.  I think it's from an entirely different developer than the GBC version (Switch/3DS/PS4/Mobile are Chun Soft, I *think* GBC was Tose) but the game balance feels very much the same so far. I can't guarantee that it's exactly the same, but it feels very similar.

It has its flaws because the series was still trying to find its footing, but it is such a charming little game! There so much uniqueness to it because they were still paving the way for what DQ and JRPGs in general were at that time. The difficulty spikes aside, it still holds a very special place in my fandom. The nostalgia factor does play heavily with me too. But it is very enjoyable to this day.

This is the only game in the series, where I prefer the NES version.  Mostly because I know how to exploit the two bugs, Two Waterflying Clothes, and infinite Staves of Thunder.

However, I do like the additional changes to the remakes (more equipment for Cannock, Princess gets Revive).

I haven't played the mobile version as of yet, though I do want to, it's just not on my plans atm, as I'd rather focus on other games.

Do I like it?  I love it.  I could never get into the original game.  Don't ask.  I LOVE the music in DQ1, I LOVE the enemy designs and quirky language, and the backgrounds in battle, but the lack of things to see and do, and sheer volume of just traveling, alongside the limited options in battle has always been an annoyance, not for the original game so much as for the remakes.

DQ2 really cemented the game series in my mind as one of my favourite.  Sure it's very broken and completely lacks for balance, plus Cannock and his many deaths, despite in the original game, he is literally a requirement to beat it (only revival method on the NES).  I've replayed it over and over again, several hundred times, if that gives you any indication.  I like the challenge, and once I knew where to go, and when, it alleviates the frustration of constant deaths (like the first time in Osterfaire and facing the Lion immediately following the ship, as it's surprisingly easy to find the warp gate, or was my first playthrough, and easy to recall, or was anyway).  Or the first Gold Orc.   That thing just ripped my party to shreds.  Same with Tuhn, the first attempt to get to Don Mahone.

I actually loved learning how and when to handle everything.  Every spell really had a profound impact on battle, and careful usage of Wizard Rings was absolutely necessary.  You know, I've NEVER found a Mysterious Hat in any playthrough.  Yeah.  Of all the rare items to get, that's the one where I've only obtained in remakes.

It's not my go-to game, but it's a great sequel, building on everything in DQ1. It's neat to see where all the foundations for a lot of the classic tropes were laid.

I still play this piece of crap every so often since it's DQ, but I can't say I enjoy it much.

It's fine. Most complaints I've ever heard were all negated with the maps and such that came in the box when I first got it, so I've never had issues.

Posted (edited)

Oh come now, do you really need to ask ME if I like DQ2?!  My hometown is there!

Seriously though, I DO like the game.  It brought a multiple-member party to the franchise where I had no prior experience with such things and it flipped my mind.  THREE characters at once?  Unheard of to me at 10!  And they were all grandchildren of the first game's hero?  AND they were royalty?!  This was amazing to young me, and the mindboggling size of the world... had I not had extensive information thanks to Nintendo Power and GamePro, I never would have seen the end of it, but I muscled through the passage to Rhone (Sorry, I guess that's Rendarak now? ) and farmed XP in it's snowy fields and taiga for hours to beat Hargon and Malroth.  I believe I was an average level of 26 when I arrived, and average level of 35 when I won!

Will gladly do so again on the Switch, after beating DQ3 and DQ1 again on same.

Edited by The Dog of Zahan
  • Like 1

Oh, I like it, but I don't LIKE like it. :P

In all seriousness, yes, it's a great game. Flawed? Yes. I consider the flaws, however, to be forgivable to an extent. This was an early-RPG game and they were still trying to hone in on a proper style. The game deserves respect as one of this series' pillars. It got the ball rolling on many major DQ hallmarks: the ship, multi-party system, large world map, series inter-connectivity of continuity from game-to-game, job classes before they were job classes, status spells, priests, multi-town saving, helmets, etc. I consider Dragon Quest to be the Prototype version, DQII to be a soft opening and DQIII to be the grand opening.

The game has wonderful music, as you stated, and is an overall immersive experience.

My cons for the game would definitely be the extremely unbalanced difficulty (the way classes/levels of enemies so dramatically change after a few steps in one direction, for example) and the rather-confusing fetch quest for the five elements.

I noticed on my Switch playthrough that I did better than ever and I largely attribute that to leveling hard and early as well as taking the time to focus on proper armor for Cannock and Moonbrooke. A lot less coffin-dragging this time around. The mobile and Switch versions really are the prime versions of these games, to be honest.

Dragon Quest II is the "almost there but not quite" installment in this series and deserves respect.

Imagine a remake of this game using the DQ11 engine and a repurposed storyline. They could do quite a lot with the Princess of Moonbrooke and that entire incident. I'd love to see the entire Erdrick trilogy receive this treatment, to be honest. Could be a great way of tying 11, 1, 2 and 3 together.

• Like 1

Yes. It's still a DQ game and therefore inherently awesome. However, it is heavily flawed and one of my least favorite in the series. The imbalanced difficulty including Rhone's monsters with unblockable death spells made it more of a random chance of success, which ultimately makes for a less fun experience. There is less quality music compositions in this game than in the others (including the walking theme featuring all three party members, which unfortunately has since become the main menu and victory music for Quest of the Stars.) A few quality exceptions stand out for music in this game, the castle theme (Chateau) and the cave theme (Fright in Dungeon).

• Like 1

I played the mobile version a few years back around the time I joined this website. It was a good experience and I'm really glad I played it, but it's probably the only DQ game I wouldn't playthrough a second time. There just isn't much in the way of playstyle options which is the #1 reason I play RPGs.

I beat the NES version years ago as well as the IOS version more recently.  Still upset that they did not localize the Super Famicom version as it had nicer Battlebacks and Battlebacks frames.  I still remember when it was announced and previewed for NES.

I like it and also take it for what it is - an extremely hard game (original version).

• Like 1

This is my first time playing through it, I own the NES version, but got around to playing it, so trying it now on the Switch. For the most part I will say that it has been enjoyable, but one thing that is really getting to me it the monster encounter rate being so damn high. A lot of times, especially in dungeons (looking at you Lighthouse), I literally can't  walk 3 spaces without getting into a battle, it really gets infuriating after a while.  Also it seems they got rid of the money making glitch, which I guess would be fine if a lot of the weapons and armor won't so damn expensive. One thing I do find funny is the whole Prince of Cannock thing. I've seen for years how the joke is that he dies all the time, but honestly he hasn't come close to it. I've had the Hero and the Princess die multiple times, but never him. Honestly he seems to be the most well-rounded character. IDK maybe he was like that in the original and got buffed in the remakes, but I just find it funny as I was expecting the total opposite of what I've seen.

• Like 1

This is my first time playing through it, I own the NES version, but got around to playing it, so trying it now on the Switch. For the most part I will say that it has been enjoyable, but one thing that is really getting to me it the monster encounter rate being so damn high. A lot of times, especially in dungeons (looking at you Lighthouse), I literally can't  walk 3 spaces without getting into a battle, it really gets infuriating after a while.  Also it seems they got rid of the money making glitch, which I guess would be fine if a lot of the weapons and armor won't so damn expensive. One thing I do find funny is the whole Prince of Cannock thing. I've seen for years how the joke is that he dies all the time, but honestly he hasn't come close to it. I've had the Hero and the Princess die multiple times, but never him. Honestly he seems to be the most well-rounded character. IDK maybe he was like that in the original and got buffed in the remakes, but I just find it funny as I was expecting the total opposite of what I've seen.
Cannock is the original Paladin. The implication that he's squishy you see everywhere was never true for me either. He's definitely a favorite of mine!

1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:

Cannock is the original Paladin.

And yet you said Kiryl/Christo was the original paladin in the DQ4 episode of the Slime Time Podcast...🤔

4 hours ago, Slimeknight said:

I like Dragon Quest 2 more than Dragon Quest 3.

You don’t hear many people say that.

• Like 1

Haven't been here in awhile but yes I do, esp as I just bought the cart used for my NES about 3-4 months ago and have been playing through it a second time.

TBH I don't really get why it gets so much flak.  The "steep" grinding curve toward the end is not THAT terrible, and that's about the only thing I can see someone having a problem with.  

I'm already working on the cave to Rhone ATM and it's pretty much like the final Castle in Dragon Quest IV for the NES in difficulty...a few "bungee runs" for items and then time to go through to the snowy hinterlands.

• Like 1

It feels so fresh and amazing to play right after finishing Dragon Quest 1.