Sign in to follow this  
Bururian

DQH2- Am I doing this right?

Finally decided to get around to actually playing this game. I try not too look stuff up as I play, so I'm gonna post here. (Also there's no FaQ that I can find.)

I'm currently going to the top of Mt. Neverest. My team I believe is around level 17, am I doing this too low level? All the Mandrake and Killing Machines have the red triangle with arrows in them above. Am I doing something wrong?

2 hours ago, Bururian said:

Finally decided to get around to actually playing this game. I try not too look stuff up as I play, so I'm gonna post here. (Also there's no FaQ that I can find.)

I'm currently going to the top of Mt. Neverest. My team I believe is around level 17, am I doing this too low level? All the Mandrake and Killing Machines have the red triangle with arrows in them above. Am I doing something wrong?

The red triangles indicate you're fighting enemies much tougher than the area's average, so technically you're just being warned of danger. Most of those red triangles will disappear as you level up and the monsters stop posing you any threat. (Not quite the same are the "formidable" enemies you can see in specific areas that are enemies that don't become common until much later and you get cordoned-off boss arenas to fight them in if you approach).

But, yeah, at level 17 you are way ahead of the curve for Mt. Neverest, which most people don't get to until they're in their 20s. Luckily, a lot of this game's combat allows you to work around the battle-math, so you're welcome to keep doing what you're doing, but if you want bigger margins for error in combat you may want to consider grinding and sidequests and the magic maze dimensional dungeon.

Thanks, Jay!

I've been able to beat the mini bosses I've had to do so far, but those Drakes are really taking it out of my hands from all the excessive button mashing. I've done all the side quests available to me, so I don't get how I'm still ahead of the curve. Maybe I'll do the dimensional dungeons some more to get a few levels.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bururian said:

Thanks, Jay!

I've been able to beat the mini bosses I've had to do so far, but those Drakes are really taking it out of my hands from all the excessive button mashing. I've done all the side quests available to me, so I don't get how I'm still ahead of the curve. Maybe I'll do the dimensional dungeons some more to get a few levels.

You're welcome.

Have you been doing the monster hunting sidequest? A knight behind the counter will pay you in mini medals (which you can give in turn to Maxi Malone) if you kill sufficiently large numbers of monsters.

12 hours ago, Brother Jaybird said:

You're welcome.

Have you been doing the monster hunting sidequest? A knight behind the counter will pay you in mini medals (which you can give in turn to Maxi Malone) if you kill sufficiently large numbers of monsters.

Guess what, Jay? I'm a dum-dum. I went home last night and saw that my party was Lv27, not 17. I mis-remembered. I played for a while and got to the top of the mountain. Party is Lv30 now. Fighting all of those Powie Yowies really got me some levels.

• Like 2

Oh, well, then you're doing fine!

Yeah, it turned out after the fact that I just had some under leveled weapons and I fixed that as well.

With Angelo and Jessica in my team now, I can move on to the Dunes for the next story quest, but I got a bunch of side quests to do now. I think I'll do those instead for gold/XP.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/10/2020 at 11:42 AM, Bururian said:

Yeah, it turned out after the fact that I just had some under leveled weapons and I fixed that as well.

With Angelo and Jessica in my team now, I can move on to the Dunes for the next story quest, but I got a bunch of side quests to do now. I think I'll do those instead for gold/XP.

I was just reminded by a Let's Play of Heroes II, defeating both formidables and the monsters with red ! triangles above them will net you a Breakneck Bonus, which means extra EXP.

Edited by Brother Jaybird

On 3/13/2020 at 1:56 AM, Brother Jaybird said:

I was just reminded by a Let's Play of Heroes II, defeating both formidables and the monsters with red ! triangles above them will net you a Breakneck Bonus, which means extra EXP.

I just got a few of those today.

Are there any items that will make drops happen easier? I'm trying to get some Slime Earrings to grind them down so I can improve a pair to maximum and I swear after 40min I haven't been able to get a Slime Knight to drop a single pair.

53 minutes ago, Bururian said:

I just got a few of those today.

Are there any items that will make drops happen easier? I'm trying to get some Slime Earrings to grind them down so I can improve a pair to maximum and I swear after 40min I haven't been able to get a Slime Knight to drop a single pair.

No items that I know of increase item drop rate, save for the allure ring boosting mini medal drops. On the PS4 version I know that different days provided different bonuses (IIRC Wednesday was increased rare material drops, but who knows if that includes rare accessories); I only played Steam version so no bonuses on my playthrough, though. Mmmmaybe there's a party power that will do it, but the best I can recommend is for you is to find where the target monster is to drive up your encounter rate instead. For slime knights, go hang out at the Battle of Harba -- at some point Gragwort will allow you to revisit it -- where they appear in abundance.

Posted (edited)

This info was a little harder to find than I was expecting, but I found that PS4 daily list.

Every Monday: Increased gold gains
Every Tuesday: Increased weapon proficiency gains
Every Wednesday: Increased metal enemy spawn rate
Every Thursday: Increased rare material drop rate
Every Friday: Increased mini medal drop rate
Every Saturday: Increased weapon proficiency gains+increased rare material drop rate
Every Sunday: Acquiring Weapon Skill Level+increased accessory drop rate

Sunday looks like my day for trying to get accessory drops.

Edited by Bururian

Yeah, unless you're WAYY over-leveled, those red things will pop up at least somewhat often.