Sign in to follow this  
Spyke

DQV PS2 how to run?

Hi. I'm new to this site/forum, but glad to be here. I've completed VIII on PS2 and am currently playing XI on PS4. I need to return to IX on DS soon too.

I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but I want to play the PS2 version of DQV in English. I have tried to find, read and UNDERSTAND what's required to do this, and I just can't get my head around it. Here's what I own:

NTSC-J copy of DQV for PS2

PAL SCPH-70000 PS2 slim

Now I know it's possible to play an English version on PS2, but I don't understand how to do it. Yes - I really am that tech cack-handed. I need a complete IDIOT's guide, step one by one by one on how to do this. Is it possible with what I have? I don't want to invest in further hardware or discdrive (I don't own a PC, only a macbook). Or, failing that, is it possible to buy a patched English language version that will run on the hardware I own? I don't want to emulate it - tried to set up an emulator for it and I couldn't even get the various files to install properly.

Have patience with me! Thanks in advance,

Ant   :) 

Sorry, I won't be any help, I haven't tried that stuff since the PS1 days :)

I used a Memor32, which is a memory card you can load with firmware that acts as a soft mod. Although, I believe it's long outdated.

• Like 1

I'd just use a standard PS2 memory card with FreeMCBoot. The game works fine with the English patch and an ESR patch (allows you to play a burned copy on a softmodded PS2). I live in an NTSC region so I don't have to worry about the format conversion, but I've seen tools online to convert PAL games to NTSC and vice versa. I cannot guarantee they work with DQV, but it's worth a shot.

Even assuming you were able to get a FreeMCBoot card from someone else (instead of opening your PS2 to trick it into installing FMCB yourself), you'd still need to have a disk drive. There's no way to use the english patch without applying the patch to an image of your disk, and then either burning a patched disk, or using an HDD loader to load the patched ISO from a hard disk.

I'll do some research and see if I can come up with a PAL+English patch. If you want, I could include 16:9 (or even 16:10) widescreen, and swap the X and O buttons so they match the standard western layout (though the slot machine and anything else that has control instructions will still display as if they were the japanese layout). No guarantees I can make it work for PAL, but I'll try. (For the record, I've already made a working NTSC English widescreen disk that worked fine.)

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 6:41 AM, Spyke said:

Hi. I'm new to this site/forum, but glad to be here. I've completed VIII on PS2 and am currently playing XI on PS4. I need to return to IX on DS soon too.

I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but I want to play the PS2 version of DQV in English. I have tried to find, read and UNDERSTAND what's required to do this, and I just can't get my head around it. Here's what I own:

NTSC-J copy of DQV for PS2

PAL SCPH-70000 PS2 slim

Now I know it's possible to play an English version on PS2, but I don't understand how to do it. Yes - I really am that tech cack-handed. I need a complete IDIOT's guide, step one by one by one on how to do this. Is it possible with what I have? I don't want to invest in further hardware or discdrive (I don't own a PC, only a macbook). Or, failing that, is it possible to buy a patched English language version that will run on the hardware I own? I don't want to emulate it - tried to set up an emulator for it and I couldn't even get the various files to install properly.

Have patience with me! Thanks in advance,

Ant   :) 

You're not cack-handed, patching software is an inherently complex thing with lots of hoops to jump through.

I've never played it myself, but DQ Translations did an English language patch and shared it a while ago, and they mentioned the patch includes ReadMe files with instructions for implementing the patch. Their main website seems to be mostly done away with, but the patch and relevant files are still available. IIRC, @Plattym3 talked about playing the games once, maybe he would know more about it.

9 minutes ago, Brother Jaybird said:

You're not cack-handed, patching software is an inherently complex thing with lots of hoops to jump through.

I've never played it myself, but DQ Translations did an English language patch and shared it a while ago, and they mentioned the patch includes ReadMe files with instructions for implementing the patch. Their main website seems to be mostly done away with, but the patch and relevant files are still available. IIRC, @Plattym3 talked about playing the games once, maybe he would know more about it.

That's the English patch I mentioned, but I assumed he was already aware of it considering he mentioned it in the OP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

That's the English patch I mentioned, but I assumed he was already aware of it considering he mentioned it in the OP.

Well, when I wrote it nobody had written anything, so it looks like I was a little late to actually post. Whoops.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 4:24 AM, Erdrick The Hero said:

I'd just use a standard PS2 memory card with FreeMCBoot. The game works fine with the English patch and an ESR patch (allows you to play a burned copy on a softmodded PS2). I live in an NTSC region so I don't have to worry about the format conversion, but I've seen tools online to convert PAL games to NTSC and vice versa. I cannot guarantee they work with DQV, but it's worth a shot.

Even assuming you were able to get a FreeMCBoot card from someone else (instead of opening your PS2 to trick it into installing FMCB yourself), you'd still need to have a disk drive. There's no way to use the english patch without applying the patch to an image of your disk, and then either burning a patched disk, or using an HDD loader to load the patched ISO from a hard disk.

I'll do some research and see if I can come up with a PAL+English patch. If you want, I could include 16:9 (or even 16:10) widescreen, and swap the X and O buttons so they match the standard western layout (though the slot machine and anything else that has control instructions will still display as if they were the japanese layout). No guarantees I can make it work for PAL, but I'll try. (For the record, I've already made a working NTSC English widescreen disk that worked fine.)

Thank you for your time and effort. If you could do that it would be much appreciated! I'm used to using O and X as they are in Japanese games anyway, but my TV is 16:9 so if it could support that it would be a bonus, but honestly not essential!  :) 

Ant

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2020 at 12:32 AM, Spyke said:

Thank you for your time and effort. If you could do that it would be much appreciated! I'm used to using O and X as they are in Japanese games anyway, but my TV is 16:9 so if it could support that it would be a bonus, but honestly not essential!  :) 

Ant

OK! This is my next project. I've got most of the necessary tools already, still hunting down the actual NTSC-PAL patcher. I know the program exists, but I never downloaded it because I don't have a PAL PS2 (nor any interest in any PAL-exclusive games), and it looks like the site where I used to get my PS2 tools from no longer exists. I've got a couple leads though, so just hang tight.

EDIT: Ok, I found the patcher, but I'm having some issues with it. I have to get ready for work now, but I'll take another look later.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero
  • Like 1

Sounds good!  :) 

So far I've got all the patches working except the NTSC2PAL patch. That one is preventing the game from booting in my emulator. I'm not sure if it's because the patcher is bunk,  because the game is just incompatible, because I've got an NTSC BIOS or what. I don't have a PAL PS2 to test on or rip the BIOS from. Even my NTSC PS2 is buried in storage.

Haven't forgotten about this but still having issues. Have you access to an NTSC compatible television? I'm fairly certain it's possible to force a PAL PS2 to display an NTSC signal and vice versa - the problem being that most American sets don't support PAL input and most European TVs (back in the day) don't support NTSC. Though I've read many modern HD/4K TVs support both standards, especially those found in Europe, as the HD standard (I think) is the same in both regions.