Plattym3

Episode #013 - Bururian & DQotS

Posted (edited)

So, what should be talk about?

Got any hot takes or questions for us to discuss?

Gushes (brag)? Blushes (oopsie)? Pure hatred? Pure love?

Edited by Plattym3

Did anyone play the Japanese version, did they get all of the startup bonuses, metal slime equipment chance from day one, etc?

So far the game appears to be throwing gems at us. I expect we've got to be approaching a gem shortage at some point, but for now I can't imagine why you would spend money on this game. Having said that, do you know if anyone has spent money on the game yet, and whether they thought it was worth it?

Cyril the Squirrel: Love him or hate him?

Multi-player is made more interesting by first enticing us with gems for first encounters, and then by increasing the odds of getting good stuff. And it turns out to be pretty fun too. What are your experiences with multi-player so far?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My thoughts: Cyril the Squirrel is trying to be Aggretsuko

Edited by Liamland

Today, on Plattym3 Loathing Simulator:

What does everyone think of the story so far? I like some of the pacing ideas in its shared-background mythos, throwing Robbin' 'Ood in at Chapter 3 and having him work for the Marquis de Leon (who was mostly just a thug in Heroes). Does the fact that the elves in this game being purple and bewinged mean that the DQX designs now inform all their elves going forward? (Also, will there be dwarves?). The Lahdan ancients sub-plot is moderately interesting, and I do believe we've got a little foreshadowing for Empyrea in the second-to-last sub quest of the available content -- we have people riding on top of a bird, at least.

Anything you're hoping to see going forward? I found a sea serpent the next content over who looks like a fairly interesting encounter.

What would it take to make Plattym3 like this game?

What vocations did everyone gravitate towards? What are your opinions on how the prestige classes are organized? Are there going to be tiered prestige classes like in VII later? Did you jump for a prestige class or are you sticking around in your original class until you've tapped it out?

10 hours ago, Woodus said:

Did anyone play the Japanese version, did they get all of the startup bonuses, metal slime equipment chance from day one, etc?

I tried the Metal Slime pull once and got a shield, but I have yet to receive anything else from the free draws (I am sinking all my gems into the DQ I and II equipment -- most of the draws are actually shared between them, ignoring whatever you can get from the new Erdrick armor pulls).

8 hours ago, King Zenith said:

So far the game appears to be throwing gems at us. I expect we've got to be approaching a gem shortage at some point, but for now I can't imagine why you would spend money on this game. Having said that, do you know if anyone has spent money on the game yet, and whether they thought it was worth it?

Cyril the Squirrel: Love him or hate him?

Multi-player is made more interesting by first enticing us with gems for first encounters, and then by increasing the odds of getting good stuff. And it turns out to be pretty fun too. What are your experiences with multi-player so far?

I think Bururian purchased the star pass and then mentioned it was too early in the game to really make use of it. I'll admit the opportunity of getting more draws at weapons is mildly tempting, but I know better than to sink cash into something that gives you a free shot at a draw once a day, bless its heart. Besides, the Battle God gear is better than the metal slime gear by a fair long shot, considering it gives you free CT and Oomph every battle.

I'm pretty good with Cyril. He's not the most inspired character, but he's got a pretty good gag going with Gaius (who is thankfully apparently not nearly the pervert that the intro claimed he was, but who knows, we're only eight chapters in right now). He's about as expressive as he ought to be, and is inoffensive at worst. Also his intimidated expression is spot on. I want to see that expression on Ferril's face.

Multiplayer's been pretty solid. Good for getting the higher level drops during events, especially considering that you can join groups for free. The Malroth event has largely diffused the player base, though, so its harder to jump in to Dragonlord (Hero) quests.

What would it take to make Plattym3 like this game?

Port it to Switch.
Have an end game.
Let me control battle commands.
Blank slate characters don't do it for me, I want personalities for the 3 relatives.

All quite simple really.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

The end game will probably take a few years to arrive, but I am fairly confident we will be getting one; at the very least we have a definite Big Bad and the makings of some backstory. Following from DQX, we might be getting several endgames.

The characters' limited personalities mostly amount to being gung-ho about adventure, for the purposes of annoying Cyril.

Having a Switch option would be nice, but in that medium I probably wouldn't play it as much, because it would have to directly compete with all the other games I'm playing on Switch, when I get around to them. On mobile I can run it off on the side while I'm working on something else.

Edited by Brother Jaybird

Question retracted.

5 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Ask him what his favorite character from Nier is.

Mine? Well, there's a Charmander stuffed animal in my son's bed. Since I'm lying there too waiting for my kid to fall asleep, it's quite "near" to me. 

Joking aside, I think I've summed up my feelings in a horrible analogy:

I'm an overweight, but dieting strict vegan who doesn't like chocolate. Square Enix just baked me a chocolate cake using eggs that's topped with a chocolate buttercream frosting. I'm sure it's tasty and anyone else would be lucky to have it, but for many reasons, it's not for me. Haha. That's going in the show notes: Platty turns vegan while Liamland digs in! 

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Port it to Switch.
Have an end game.
Let me control battle commands.
Blank slate characters don't do it for me, I want personalities for the 3 relatives.

All quite simple really. emoji1787.png

I could get behind all of those except the blank slate characters one. There’s a right way and a wrong way to do it, and DQ does it the wrong way. DQ3 had the right idea since each class gender had a unique look and features that could spark a number of possible back story ideas, or could just give a player who doesn’t care about that stuff a general idea of what they could be like.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I could get behind all of those except the blank slate characters one. There’s a right way and a wrong way to do it, and DQ does it the wrong way. DQ3 had the right idea since each class gender had a unique look and features that could spark a number of possible back story ideas, or could just give a player who doesn’t care about that stuff a general idea of what they could be like.

This. Funnily enough, DQIX does that, but only in the official art (ignoring the template art, which is the same guy and girl wearing all the standardized outfits). Many of the party members in the official art convey personality pretty well.

https://dragon-quest.org/images/e/ef/Erinns_Inn.png

Edit: Hmm. The image doesn't want to embed for some reason.

Edited by Brother Jaybird

I want to retract my question. Instead, ask the guest:

Nier Automata is such a great game. Compare and contrast the quality of its storytelling and mechanics to that of Dragon Quest.

I want to retract my question. Instead, ask the guest:

Nier Automata is such a great game. Compare and contrast the quality of its storytelling and mechanics to that of Dragon Quest.
Knowing that you know the guest, I feel... b80225ba16134c6775d2584c3bb9f389.jpg
  • Like 1

Knowing that you know the guest, I feel... b80225ba16134c6775d2584c3bb9f389.jpg
I would never

Posted (edited)

It wasn't the guest that was promised, but it was the guest we deserved (TOTALLY GOOD WAY)!!

Thanks to @Bururian for sharing his Goody Bags' worth of a wealth of information about Dragon Quest of the Stars!

Uploading the podcast now, so it soon should be wherever you like to listen!

Edited by Plattym3
  • Like 2

Awesome! Can't wait to check it out.

Yeah, @Bururian really helped us out last night, when we had a last-minute cancellation for the Quest of the Stars podcast. Thanks so much for being flexible!

"Oh, there's no way I'm editing this, tonight."
--Platty at 1am, after a record...every time. 😄

Thanks so much for being flexible!
"Oh, there's no way I'm editing this, tonight."
--Platty at 1am, after a record...every time. 

And every other time (see below) I'm telling the truth!

Haha, my wife was substitute teaching today so I had to get to work 45 minutes early. It typically doesn't take me much more than an hour to do, so I got it done at work today.

And... Looking at my work computer apparently I've done episodes 13, 11, 9, and 7 the next day at work over the past few months. Odd

I'm glad I could help you out super last minute. It was a lot of fun.

• Like 2

I listened to the podcast again, I blanked on most of what I had said last night. I really seem to know my stuff.

• Like 2

I listened to the podcast again, I blanked on most of what I had said last night. I really seem to know my stuff.
I just shut my mouth and let the expert talk!

I didn't have as much going on this time, I have the YouTube and Den versions up!

Den - https://www.woodus.com/den/slimetime/episodes.php

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTsU_nzASSQ

I don't think that those are Japanese players you guys have been encountering; I'm pretty sure we've all been running into Chinese players. I know Chinese is one of the languages supported by the global server (it's one of the language options at the title screen), but I haven't seen any of the uniquely Japanese non-kanji characters.

• Upvote 1

It’s funny that I hadn’t considered Chinese. I was pretty sure we had Global and Japanese servers. I hadn’t really been paying attention to the characters all that much to be honest. I assumed some players were using a Japanese keyboard or something. 

Going into the game, our version supports Kanji characters, but not hirigana or katakana characters. Interesting. 

• Like 1