Plattym3

Brags & Bitching - what'cha think?

2 hours ago, IsaOfTheWorlds said:

D Meikyuu? I thought we all settled on QueSt, when did it become Etrian?

It’s a joke.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

But they bend slightly away from the Nexus. emoji6.png

Yep. It’s the one I haven’t beaten yet. Maybe someday I’ll get back to it.

1 hour ago, eal said:

All roads lead to Etrian Odyssey with Yangus.

Quiet you.

5 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It’s a joke.

Oh, I just thought DMeiQ may have some Etrian Odyssey in it.

Saigan does not care for the game.

I'm already starting to see people in the high Lv30s on their first vocation.

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

Saigan does not care for the game.

Who is Saigan and why does he not like the game?

22 minutes ago, Bururian said:

lol that’s mobile game whales for you.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, eal said:

lol that’s mobile game whales for you.

Well if they keep whaling, that'll keep the game around for longer, so I'm fine with it. Most people are lv 11-16 right now, it looks like. I've upgraded my gear enough so far that I barely take damage. Maybe 1-2hp per hit.

I decided to give the game a shot despite not really looking into much it, but wow that's a lot of initial assets.  

So far it doesn't really seem to be what I expected out of a DQ gacha.  Equipment as the primary thing to get out of the gacha isn't really what I expected, since I usually play gacha games as character collectors in things I like... And DQ doesn't exactly lack in potential for that.  

Oh well, still only on the tutorial.

34 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I decided to give the game a shot despite not really looking into much it, but wow that's a lot of initial assets.  

So far it doesn't really seem to be what I expected out of a DQ gacha.  Equipment as the primary thing to get out of the gacha isn't really what I expected, since I usually play gacha games as character collectors in things I like... And DQ doesn't exactly lack in potential for that.  

Oh well, still only on the tutorial.

Yeah I thought that was weird too. I can’t imagine a lot of people jumping up and down bragging that they pulled an ultra giga rare...Thinking Cap.

I got a Metal Spear and it's stats are really great. Been pumping it with fodder 1-star weapons I get. Been saving my Metal keys for when I need a bump in one of my vocations.

1 minute ago, eal said:

Yeah I thought that was weird too. I can’t imagine a lot of people jumping up and down bragging that they pulled an ultra giga rare...Thinking Cap.

Thinking Cap is the best waifu, obviously.  It has a deep backstory, a loveable personality, and a cute look!  What's not to like?

Well, I guess it saved me from rerolling, and makes it easier to save currency for a banner I really want, since I usually only roll hard in gachas if I want the waifu/husbando on offer for their character... but now I'm not sure how to define a banner I really want, because I don't roll for gameplay!  

How does one play a gacha without waifus?!  

*Glaceon.exe broke*

2 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Thinking Cap is the best waifu, obviously.  It has a deep backstory, a loveable personality, and a cute look!  What's not to like?

Well, I guess it saved me from rerolling, and makes it easier to save currency for a banner I really want, since I usually only roll hard in gachas if I want the waifu/husbando on offer for their character... but now I'm not sure how to define a banner I really want, because I don't roll for gameplay!  

How does one play a gacha without waifus?!  

*Glaceon.exe broke*

You can’t sustain a gachaconomy without waifus! There’s a reason Fate/Grand Order has made $4 billion and was the top grossing mobile game in Japan.

20 minutes ago, eal said:

You can’t sustain a gachaconomy without waifus! There’s a reason Fate/Grand Order has made $4 billion and was the top grossing mobile game in Japan.

If there's anything Fate/Grand Order did really well, it was create a recipe for a long lasting gacha game.  Since they sell everything on waifuness and the low rates for the most part, there's barely any powercreep (still some, but not as much as other gachas I've played, heck Waver's one of the best units in the game to this day and he's a launch character, though he did get a massive kit overhaul early out since he originally sucked).  It also stands on its own really well if you haven't gone through anything else in the franchise, since like half the cast are original to it and rely on FGO itself for their characterization, which it almost always offered upon that character's release (unless you're Europa I guess, I'm not sure what they thinking with that one).

So yeah I agree, gachas need waifus/husbandos.  It's less fun without em, because otherwise you're just selling chunks of stats.  Which is, to put it bluntly, boring.

19 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

If there's anything Fate/Grand Order did really well, it was create a recipe for a long lasting gacha game.  Since they sell everything on waifuness and the low rates for the most part, there's barely any powercreep (still some, but not as much as other gachas I've played, heck Waver's one of the best units in the game to this day and he's a launch character, though he did get a massive kit overhaul early out since he originally sucked).  It also stands on its own really well if you haven't gone through anything else in the franchise, since like half the cast are original to it and rely on FGO itself for their characterization, which it almost always offered upon that character's release (unless you're Europa I guess, I'm not sure what they thinking with that one).

So yeah I agree, gachas need waifus/husbandos.  It's less fun without em, because otherwise you're just selling chunks of stats.  Which is, to put it bluntly, boring.

I tried playing it and I was really bored. It’s ironic because the first 1 hour so is when a gacha game is the most giving and it’s supposed to get you hooked but I was really bored. I don’t think I got passed the initial invasion of enemies because it felt like the same thing forever. I got bored with FE Fates eventually but at least it kept moving, for the most part.

I like Love Live! because it feels like the opposite of gacha games but still acts like one. I’ve never felt compelled to spend money and it’s actually fairly generous. The Shadowverse event going on right now is pretty giving, especially since it’s also timed with an update promotion. There isn’t much of a power creep because scores hardly matter once you’ve collected a lot of Super Rares and a team needs to consist of 9 characters. It also got down to brass tacks pretty quick and launched me right into the gameplay. And I actually do play for the the gameplay as much as I do for the rush of getting the a cool JPEG.

Edited by eal

22 minutes ago, eal said:

I tried playing it and I was really bored. It’s ironic because the first 1 hour so is when a gacha game is the most giving and it’s supposed to get you hooked but I was really bored. I don’t think I got passed the initial invasion of enemies because it felt like the same thing forever. I got bored with FE Fates eventually but at least it kept moving, for the most part.

I like Love Live! because it feels like the opposite of gacha games but still acts like one. I’ve never felt compelled to spend money and it’s actually fairly generous. The Shadowverse event going on right now is pretty giving, especially since it’s also timed with an update promotion. There isn’t much of a power creep because scores hardly matter once you’ve collected a lot of Super Rares and a team needs to consist of 9 characters. It also got down to brass tacks pretty quick and launched me right into the gameplay. And I actually do play for the the gameplay as much as I do for the rush of getting the a cool JPEG.

In FGO the earliest parts of it are honestly the worst from both a writing and gameplay standpoint.  The game had a really rocky start and basically survived on brand name alone for a while.  I wasn't around for that part in JP, but in NA which I started at launch I put the game down for a while for the same reason as you, before picking it up again, randomly rolling Waver during the first CBC and getting hooked since then.

It did get much better though, the writing is generally really good starting in America-ish (some people might claim it took until Camelot), gameplay can be pretty samey but it did get much more challenging starting in Camelot which helped, and more basic old skills are generally being phased out (even on older servants since Rank ups are a thing).  Honestly my main complaints about it are it is kinda slow to play sometimes, the entry barrier can be kinda high, and there's still no real safety net mechanic.  Other than that though, it's easily my favorite gacha.  

21 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Honestly my main complaints about it are it is kinda slow to play sometimes, the entry barrier can be kinda high, and there's still no real safety net mechanic.  Other than that though, it's easily my favorite gacha.  

I feel like a lot of this can also be applied to Fate as a franchise in general lol.

Another issue I just remember was that the menus are confusing as hell. There are too many and they lead to more menus. It’s an overload of information. Although the same can be said for nearly all gachas, and it looks like this might be the case for Dragon Quest of the Stars as well.

• Like 1

Second Day: 48 Hours Remaining.

So the second chapter expands your available world a bit, allowing you to use keys and their corresponding dungeons (also events, too, I believe). This game is more demanding of your attention than what I'm used to, with its overkill mechanics that require you to manage your special moves until the end of each battle (Pokemon Masters and Digimon Links? I forgot the title had full automatic combat). There's a whooole lotta stuff to do before I think of getting to Chapter 3, including following up on all the keys they keep throwing at me. I'm still getting used to not being able to direct the characters myself and reminding myself that the islands will be fully explored via sidequests.

9 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Yes, it seems very 9ish. I read all the hints during both 1.8gb downloads on my 2 devices. Alltrades, revocation, party members with the personality of wet sand...

You forgot that the characters all have super-deformed models, too. Cyril and Gaius have yet to reach the bar Stella set, though.

I don't mind the lack of definite party members so much, but in exchange I'm going to be less forgiving of the story, because my main interest is seeing the (admittedly bare-bones) Compendium fill up with all the monsters and new toys from this game and DQX that are included. (IX had a pretty light and fluffy story, especially compared to, say, VII, but it was mostly well-told and had the best villain in the main series yet).

On the other hand, I wonder how close this game cleaves to older games, because I have encountered birdsong nectar under the name chirping honey, of all things.

4 hours ago, Bururian said:

I'm sure at least a few of them are due to a mix of Metal Keys and Changing their Vocations immediately. A statistical few. I maxed out my Amateur Adventurer Vocation and changed to Dancer of all things, mostly because I had a knife and wasn't feeling a Mage vocation. (One of the Chapter 2 Dungeons or Side-quest dungeons has a rare Metal Slime encounter that was useful).

3 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I'm sure the old cast will be involved somehow, given that all the heroes appear in the intro video (including Madason's kids, go figure), but DQ Rivals is the main character-fest as far as DQ mobile goes. The idea of stuff as draws is pretty rare, but stuff is by and large DQ's largest asset base. There is a plethora of legendary and divine items to go around.

Edited by Brother Jaybird

18 minutes ago, eal said:

I feel like a lot of this can also be applied to Fate as a franchise in general lol.

Another issue I just remember was that the menus are confusing as hell. There are too many and they lead to more menus. It’s an overload of information. Although the same can be said for nearly all gachas, and it looks like this might be the case for Dragon Quest of the Stars as well.

First statement: ...Wow, thinking about it, you're right.  Aside from the safety net thing.  Dangit Nasu.

I feel like the menu complaint might fall under the barrier of entry thing, even if I didn't think about it when I wrote that.  I'm pretty used to the menus by now so they don't bother me at all, but I can see how they'd be confusing when you start.  DQotS is definitely confusing me with the menus right now.

I'm sure the old cast will be involved somehow, given that all the heroes appear in the intro video (including Madason's kids, go figure), but DQ Rivals is the main character-fest as far as DQ mobile goes. The idea of stuff as draws is pretty rare, but stuff is by and large DQ's largest asset base. There is a plethora of legendary and divine items to go around.

@Brother Jaybird Yeah, I get that, it just struck me as a bit odd.  Usually stuff is just there to fill in gacha rates (like CEs in Fate/Grand Order, for example), while the characters are the main attraction.  It just doesn't seem as marketable to me, I guess, compared to characters.  

(Couldn't figure out how to put proper new quotes in an edit.  Curse you, new IP.Board!  Now I miss old IP.Board again!)

Edited by Glaceon Mage

1 hour ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Yeah, I get that, it just struck me as a bit odd.  Usually stuff is just there to fill in gacha rates (like CEs in Fate/Grand Order, for example), while the characters are the main attraction.  It just doesn't seem as marketable to me, I guess, compared to characters.  

True, but I imagine DQ could get away with it better than most because it has a lot of stuff that is downright iconic in and of itself (the Erdrick and Zenithian armors and weaponry, for example).

1 hour ago, Glaceon Mage said:

(Couldn't figure out how to put proper new quotes in an edit.  Curse you, new IP.Board!  Now I miss old IP.Board again!)

There are a couple options. You can copy and paste the quote box object directly, or you can click the quote button a second time and a new quote box will be inserted wherever your cursor is.

40 minutes ago, Brother Jaybird said:

True, but I imagine DQ could get away with it better than most because it has a lot of stuff that is downright iconic in and of itself (the Erdrick and Zenithian armors and weaponry, for example).

Maybe so.  Still dunno what I'm even gonna bother saving for though

44 minutes ago, Brother Jaybird said:

There are a couple options. You can copy and paste the quote box object directly, or you can click the quote button a second time and a new quote box will be inserted wherever your cursor is.

*Tries*

...Still not working.  Putting the cursor in the edit box and it still defaulted to the new post box.  Couldn't seem to get it to copy from the new post box to the edit box either.... 

I really miss my BBCode view, it was so much easier to use than this

I have something to #$*! about with this game: the re-use of Sea Breeze as the ocean music for the thousandth time in a Dragon Quest game.

Suigiyama you lazy old fart, you have other sailing themes you could use from the series. USE THEM AND STOP DEFAULTING TO SEA BREEZE EVERY GOD DAMN TIME.

• Like 2

Ok, the game's fun and all but when do I get to fight Estark??

20 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I really miss my BBCode view, it was so much easier to use than this

Yeah. I miss the full editor view. I am not terribly fond of this setup.

So, I'm already starting to see the end in sight for me on this game. There are a few reasons which I'll try to summarize below. Don't get me wrong, this is a good game, I just think it's not for me now & on this format. I had a couple non-DQ friends contact me today and say how much they like the game, with one even being surprised how much it's not money grabbing. But...

1. I don't like gaming on mobile. I just don't. Handheld systems are my jam, but I don't want to game on my phone. Just period.

2. There's story. Honestly, I noped out of the story day 1. That rabbit is annoying and I don't give a #$*! about the plot. I just skip it all. It's easy enough to click on the next map thing, I don't need story.

3. There's little to no challenge. Either I'm level 12 with equipment above my grade running level 8 story dungeons or I'm looking at level 20, 30, and 40 challenges I'm sure I'll die on. At least on Super Lite I could run high level dungeons and navigate around some harder battles.

4. The autobattle is annoying. My choices don't really matter except to earn a star at the end by timing special attacks for when enemies are close to death. It's too casual. It's a lot of waiting with too little interaction. If that's the case, I'll just read.

5. What am I grinding for? Super Lite had lots of cool monsters to breed and raise. This? New weapons? Snore. I don't understand what I'm supposed to care a lot about? My character's appearance? As long as my Hero doesn't have long hair uncovered, I couldn't care less. I guess if I knew there was an end to the story, I could see myself sticking with it to "beat" the game.

6. There are just other games right now that are hundreds of hours long I want to play. I'm on game 3 of my run through the Trails of series, so there's about 350 hours of awesome story and an engaging combat system awaiting me on my Vita. I've still got 30-40 more hours of Rune Factory 4 time on the Switch, and that's one of my favorite games of all time. So, I guess bad timing.

7. I don't want to game with other people. Sorry for those that have asked in the past, but other than playing with my kids sitting together on the couch, I don't want to try to meet up for stuff. I like to pause and go get a coffee or put stuff down and go do something else for 5-10 minutes. It's why I've said I'm not interested in the DQX MMO experience and have never done an MMO. I'm just in gaming for my own little enjoyment. I'll podcast all day about it, but there's a reason I play single-person RPGs 99% of the time. I added you all as friends to abuse your higher stats as friends, but likely won't ever meet up for group runs unless it somehow it's my schedule exactly. Haha, anti-social Platty runs away super fast!

Had this come out a few years ago I'd be more likely to play it. I'm sure I'll play off and on for the next few weeks, but IDK, already today I had 90 minutes free at work and didn't even consider running a stage. I'm sure I will when I'm bored waiting at the doctor's office tomorrow or like I did tonight for 15 minutes waiting for dinner to be ready, but mainly in those kinda time slots.

24 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

If that's the case, I'll just read.

You could do that if you read the story/dialogue. 😘

Just kidding. I can relate to you on a few things with your post. Honestly I’m just “meh,” on the game and will likely mess with it on breaks or if I’m waiting for something. Cool we got it, but it’s not something that’s blowing me away.

• Like 1

Honestly I’m just “meh,” on the game and will likely mess with it on breaks or if I’m waiting for something. Cool we got it, but it’s not something that’s blowing me away.

Twinsies.