Sign in to follow this  
Plattym3

Dragon Quest Trading Card Game - English?

I know we have hundreds of cards archived here: https://www.woodus.com/den/games/dqccg01/monstercards.php?tp=Monster

But did anyone ever translate some cards digitally? or translate the rules?

Heck, I know there are multiple variations now or maybe just new cards every few years, but just wondering if there are any fan works out there.

Isn’t that card game called Dragon Quest Rivals? I see Jay (the Hawkheart Ace) playing it a lot on his Switch.

There’s a card game for Switch? I’d love to see that ported over. Best I can imagine is a digital-only release though.

2 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Isn’t that card game called Dragon Quest Rivals? I see Jay (the Hawkheart Ace) playing it a lot on his Switch.

I think what Platty is talking about is a physical game that predates Rivals' existence.

Platty is talking about the Dragon Quest Card Game.

dqccg01_box_front.png

Which seems to be a TCG released after DQ7 (I don't see any DQ8 original monsters in the scans, so it was probably released before then). I had no idea this existed, but I wouldn't be surprised if it at least partially informed DQ Rivals, which I thought was Mobile only but appears to have a Switch version.

Yeah, I figured out which one he was referring to awhile ago. I was looking through my stuff and I found some of the TCG cards I had received as a gift a year ago from a member of the Den.

Platty is talking about the Dragon Quest Card Game.

dqccg01_box_front.png
Which seems to be a TCG released after DQ7 (I don't see any DQ8 original monsters in the scans, so it was probably released before then). I had no idea this existed, but I wouldn't be surprised if it at least partially informed DQ Rivals, which I thought was Mobile only but appears to have a Switch version.
You are correct!

My kids are loving Pokémon TCG lately. I made a mashup. aaa43b27d9083161b2a12f0b2e6596a3.jpg

The bigger font doesn't work. Also, I tried the table function on the bottom for resistance and such, but it isn't centered correctly. I've got no good software nor a desire to learn, just using what the good Overlord Google gave me in their Drawings program.

6 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

My kids are loving Pokémon TCG lately. I made a mashup. aaa43b27d9083161b2a12f0b2e6596a3.jpg

The bigger font doesn't work. Also, I tried the table function on the bottom for resistance and such, but it isn't centered correctly. I've got no good software nor a desire to learn, just using what the good Overlord Google gave me in their Drawings program.

I’m like 95% sure there are websites that let you make custom Pokémon cards you can print of the computer.

• Like 1

I’m like 95% sure there are websites that let you make custom Pokémon cards you can print of the computer.
I found a website that for $15 will make a deck of 54 playing cards, and you can customize each and every one.

That took only a few minutes, but the resolution is quite low. And the image gets stretched. Easy to use though. 8770dbb8490e65349fd363c6238b9c89.jpg

Hmmm... I'll have to check that resolution on the playing card site. It'd be pretty cool to make some custom cards for my son and I to make a DQ themed Pokémon deck to play with at home. Heck, 54 cards for $15 and we could just replace the actual Pokémon and use the trainers and energy from other decks we have. Haha

3 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

That took only a few minutes, but the resolution is quite low. And the image gets stretched. Easy to use though. 8770dbb8490e65349fd363c6238b9c89.jpg

Illustrated by Plattym3? Has anyone ever told you that you kinda have a similar style to Akira Toriyama?

Illustrated by Plattym3? Has anyone ever told you that you kinda have a similar style to Akira Toriyama?
I'm quite derivative

Or they could release a modern DQ TCG in English and I would drain my bank account to participate in such a thing. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Or they could release a modern DQ TCG in English and I would drain my bank account to participate in such a thing. 

A Dragon Quest TCG in English would be a complete non-starter. Nothing is gonna break the monopoly Magic and Pokemon have on the TCG market.

However, what a lot of companies are doing when they want to create a card game is just make it a deck-building game, those card games that have every card in the box and two players build decks out of what’s there. I see a lot of those, and for niche subjects like My Hero Academia. I think that would be a better idea.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eal said:

A Dragon Quest TCG in English would be a complete non-starter. Nothing is gonna break the monopoly Magic and Pokemon have on the TCG market.

This is true. If something with extreme marketability like the DBZ TCG can't break through, DQ isn't gonna cut it.

2 hours ago, GrandAlchemist said:
2 hours ago, eal said:

This is true. If something with extreme marketability like the DBZ TCG can't break through, DQ isn't gonna cut it.

Not in physical form, at least. Maybe if they made put a card game into video game format.

16 minutes ago, Brother Jaybird said:

Not in physical form, at least. Maybe if they made put a card game into video game format.

That could put it on Switch. Name it something clever. Dragon Quest Rivals I think would work.

4 hours ago, GrandAlchemist said:

Yeah Yeah, I know. 

Pipedreams. 

2 hours ago, eal said:

That could put it on Switch. Name it something clever. Dragon Quest Rivals I think would work.

It is on Switch. And Jay (the Hawkheart Ace) has 565 hours put into it.

4 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It is on Switch. And Jay (the Hawkheart Ace) has 565 hours put into it.

Holy crap

Hey all....Been away for a while.  Used to have  a web page with scans of all of these cards (including all promos and secret-rares).  Translated ~200 of them and the rules.  This was circa 2012-2014... before we had phone apps that could insta-translate.  Should be a lot easier now!  (wow, I feel old). Web page and domain are long gone... but I still have everything saved off on my old computer from back then.  If there was significant interest, I can dust it off sometime.

• Like 2

Hey all....Been away for a while.  Used to have  a web page with scans of all of these cards (including all promos and secret-rares).  Translated ~200 of them and the rules.  This was circa 2012-2014... before we had phone apps that could insta-translate.  Should be a lot easier now!  (wow, I feel old). Web page and domain are long gone... but I still have everything saved off on my old computer from back then.  If there was significant interest, I can dust it off sometime.

I'm interested!
I'm interested!
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 5:23 AM, Plattym3 said:

But did anyone ever translate some cards digitally? or translate the rules?

22 minutes ago, chichi said:

giphy.gif

Welcome back, chichi! I think it would be phenomenal if you would share your work, maybe @Woodus could find a place to host it with credit so you don't have to worry about hosting any of it.

• Like 1

Yeah, I could put the stuff up here on the Den if you would like :)