Plattym3

Episode #012 - Dragon Quest Your Story SPOILERCAST

Aust, you mean the "Grow up, losers" joke? That was a throwback to the line from the movie, and was directed at our guests as we were all talking over the ending. Platty edited out the laughter in response from the group and played the outro music. That wasn't meant to offend anyone. In fact, it was to make light of the offense that fans (myself included) probably should have taken to that line being in the actual movie. We talked about that whole scene in the film on the podcast and that line in particular being a middle finger to the fans. I actually expect that to become a meme at some point with the virus from the movie. Take the power out of the words by owning it. It was a bad line on the writer's part. No offense intended, here.

Aust, you mean the "Grow up, losers" joke? That was a throwback to the line from the movie, and was directed at our guests as we were all talking over the ending. Platty edited out the laughter in response from the group and played the outro music. That wasn't meant to offend anyone. In fact, it was to make light of the offense that fans (myself included) probably should have taken to that line being in the actual movie. We talked about that whole scene in the film on the podcast and that line in particular being a middle finger to the fans. I actually expect that to become a meme at some point with the virus from the movie. Take the power out of the words by owning it. It was a bad line on the writer's part. No offense intended, here.
Was only joking. A meta reference to the movie itself.
  • Like 2

Was only joking. A meta reference to the movie itself.
From someone who's rarely anything but sarcastic & joking online, I totally got it!

Nice one!

Dragon Quest of the Stars tomorrow! I just downloaded it. Can't wait to try it.

Working on a new podcast for this "gem" sometime soon.

Edited by Liamland

Feb 25th 2:00 UTC...so it should actually be available tonight, if you're in America. 8PM CST.
  • Like 1

Even better!

Listening to DQFM's Your Story podcast. Something I didn't really care about before kinda sparked in my mind from their discussion that was also mentioned in our own DQ Slime Time episode on Your Story. I'll try to spoiler tag it, in case no one still hasn't seen the movie, yet...if you haven't seen the movie why are you reading these words?! 😛

Given the twist at the end of the film, Debora should technically have been in the movie. I didn't really think too hard about this before when people talked about it, because I don't particularly care for the character, but here's the argument for why she should have been included. Only the first two versions of DQV had 2 bride choices. Every subsequent version had 3. That basically means that the twist about it being a VR game is a 3D rendering based solely on the SFC or PS2 versions of the game. If this is a future where such immersive VR technology exists, then it would have been far in the future, beyond the DS/Mobile releases that contained Debora. This is a future quite possibly where the games have been remade again for future platforms, even before this immersive VR technology is developed. As such, it is more likely that they would have included Debora in the development of a DQV immersive VR game. Now, argument against--they took a step backward with DQIII Mobile from the SFC version and quality-wise that game never fully surpassed its predecessor due to the loss of things like monster animations in battle and all the missing bonus content, but that's pretty atypical for how DQ remakes typically go. They more often than not seek to add more content, not remove it. The only other argument against her being in the movie that I can think of is removing excess (like how they considered the second twin expendable, so she's not even mentioned.) One could make the same argument that she was an expendable excess and not essential to the overall story. Maybe they'll work her into the future arcade Classic: Dragon Quest: Your Story 2.0, with extra Slime virus-protection.

Edited by Liamland
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, AustNerevar said:
3 hours ago, Liamland said:

Feb 25th 2:00 UTC...so it should actually be available tonight, if you're in America. 8PM CST.

5 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

So about 9pm on 2/24 for East coast people like myself. Midwest and West coast people adjust accordingly to that time.

6:00 PM PACIFIC!

38 minutes ago, Liamland said:

I'm super-conscientious, so I'm going to add a spoiler section in the dedicated spoiler thread.

Spoiler

I've dumped on the Bride Choice event basically every time it's come up, and rightfully, but the thing with Deborah is that she'd manifestly complicate the love triangle, so if the movie is on a limited time budget and wants to keep the same overall plot (not that it should), they'd have to diminish Bianca and Debora, which would deform the love triangle as written.

On paper, it might be possible to create a version with Debora in it, but I've always held that the Briscoletti family should be in its own dedicated thing rather than complicating DQV as it does.

Edited by Brother Jaybird

Truth.

Image result for xzibit surprised

• Like 1

So the FM guys didn't hate it. BJ was ambivalent toward it, and Austin liked the ending. I'm seeing that more and more, that many westerner DQ fans support the ending more than Japanese audience did. I am still sticking with the mindset that if they were going to write that type of ending that there's a better way they could have done it. At the end of the day if you got something positive from watching the movie then it did it's job. I liked it for the most part. It was full of laughs. I just happen to be one of those people who think they should have stuck with the story, instead of build up an hour and a half of plot only to reveal a giant red herring.

• Like 4

So the FM guys didn't hate it. BJ was ambivalent toward it, and Austin liked the ending. I'm seeing that more and more, that many westerner DQ fans support the ending more than Japanese audience did. I am still sticking with the mindset that if they were going to write that type of ending that there's a better way they could have done it. At the end of the day if you got something positive from watching the movie then it did it's job. I liked it for the most part. It was full of laughs. I just happen to be one of those people who think they should have stuck with the story, instead of build up an hour and a half of plot only to reveal a giant red herring.
I coauthored a review of it for RPGamer. Should be up in a couple of days. We're much more positive about it than the guy who saw in it Japan last year.

You mean Pendy? Or someone at RPGamer?

You mean Pendy? Or someone at RPGamer?
Guy from RPGamer that's lived over there a decade. He was ehhh about it. But I think a lot of that was based on him sitting in a Japanese theater and understanding the annoyance around him.
  • Like 1

I finally have the video version done and up on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHw53x2uT8k

And the MP3 and MP4 up on the Den as well

https://www.woodus.com/den/slimetime/episodes.php

Sorry for the delay

• Like 1

Sweet! Thanks Woodus!

I know I’m digging up an old topic but after seeing so many reactions to the film, it seems like the Western audience seems to be a lot more accepting of the movie’s ending.  Very interesting.  

I was hoping for a physical release in the West but I might just import the Japanese release of the movie.  

The podcast was fantastic.  It was great interacting with all you guys.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pendy said:

I know I’m digging up an old topic but after seeing so many reactions to the film, it seems like the Western audience seems to be a lot more accepting of the movie’s ending.  Very interesting.  

I think a lot of that has to do with cultural impact. I’d compare it to the reactions towards The Last Jedi. People were more outraged about the movie overall rather than I single issue like the ending, but I think it’s a somewhat reasonable comparison if we’re talking about differences in reactions from two different regions of the world.

Posted (edited)

I still think it's a bad ending. It's basically Crab People, from South Park.

It's also possible that the US DQ fans got tired of hearing how terrible the ending was, for 6 straight months, so when the majority of westerners finally got to see it they all went in with incredibly low expectations. They were already in love with the story because DQV is a popular entry, but they were more invested in the feels being portrayed by the ending than in a retelling of DQV's plot.

Edited by Liamland
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/18/2020 at 2:04 PM, Liamland said:

It's basically Crab People, from South Park.

But the Crab People ending was hilarious! That ending made sense with the wackiness South Park goes for.

If there’s something the movie ending could be compared to, it would be the real Seymour Skinner episode of the Simpsons. Now THAT episode saw a lot of harsh feedback like the DQ movie ending.

Haha. True. The virus was a total Armand Tamzarian.

But if you listen to the South Park commentary tracks they equate Crab People as a satire of bad writing. It's a crappy plot twist where the writers simply don't try hard enough and end up writing something stupid as a cop-out. In this case, though, one could argue this bad twist is more post-Sixth Sense - M. Night Shyamalan than Crab People. Where the red herring twist seems forced, to arrive to a very specific point, in this case: Nostalgia. The Feels. Another example is The Mandarin in Iron Man 3 turns out to actually be some hokey actor making toilet jokes.

Haha. True. The virus was a total Armand Tamzarian.
But if you listen to the South Park commentary tracks they equate Crab People as a satire of bad writing. It's a crappy plot twist where the writers simply don't try hard enough and end up writing something stupid as a cop-out. In this case, though, one could argue this bad twist is more post-Sixth Sense - M. Night Shyamalan than Crab People. Where the red herring twist seems forced, to arrive to a very specific point, in this case: Nostalgia. The Feels. Another example is The Mandarin in Iron Man 3 turns out to actually be some hokey actor making toilet jokes.
It's really unnecessary too. The end didn't need a twist. The original story was totally serviceable.
  • Like 1

They also could have done something cool and made two versions: One where he marries Bianca and one where he marries Nera/Flora. Then just change the color of the kids Maybe you don't know which version you're getting when you see it in theaters, but on video they offer both.

Damn it. They should have just called us first before making it. :laugh: