Episode #012 - Dragon Quest Your Story SPOILERCAST

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So the FM guys didn't hate it. BJ was ambivalent toward it, and Austin liked the ending. I'm seeing that more and more, that many westerner DQ fans support the ending more than Japanese audience did.

Listening to DQFM's Your Story podcast. Something I didn't really care about before kinda sparked in my mind from their discussion that was also mentioned in our own DQ Slime Time episode on Your Stor

https://anchor.fm/podcast-d4a5800/episodes/Episode-012---Dragon-Quest-Your-Story-Spoilercast-eas4bs Thanks to @Liamland @YangustheLegendaryBandit @Dwaine and @Pendy for talking about DQYS all nig

Posted Images

I’m an hour in now. I appreciate that you brought up my ‘LotR Extended’ post. This is a great episode so far. 
Thanks! I know I read so many comments beforehand that I felt bad not giving credit to the various ideas I quoted, but man that was one hell of a fun discussion to have.

We really thought we'd talk for maybe an hour but there we were pushing near to 3 hours before my audio compression took it to 2:30
Oh, that’s funny. I was just thinking a spoilercast would make for a good episode of Slime Time.
Seeing that DQ FM stole our idea (kinda kidding, they just got on it during our hiatus) to go through the Abel TV series and talk about it, we couldn't get scooped on the movie!

So I'm at about 1:40 in, The comments about how it was all fake and just a game I think you all forgot about a line of dialog that is almost completely missed since it was one literal line of dialog, and that's when you're playing the game, they do a temporary memory wipe so that you experience the game with no bias, which is why there was the 'Self Suggestion' system in the movie. That's why he has no idea what was going on at the end. I'm still unsure if he actually got his memories back after the virus infected the game or if the Real World scenes were just exposition for the audience.

Now I'll continue the podcast and someone will bring this up.

So I'm at about 1:40 in, The comments about how it was all fake and just a game I think you all forgot about a line of dialog that is almost completely missed since it was one literal line of dialog, and that's when you're playing the game, they do a temporary memory wipe so that you experience the game with no bias, which is why there was the 'Self Suggestion' system in the movie. That's why he has no idea what was going on at the end. I'm still unsure if he actually got his memories back after the virus infected the game or if the Real World scenes were just exposition for the audience.

Now I'll continue the podcast and someone will bring this up.
Good point. From the viewers perspective, we suddenly know everything, but was that a flashback Luca had or is he a bit fuzzy about it all? I mean he does say near the end that he's got to go back to his real life soon.
35 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Good point. From the viewers perspective, we suddenly know everything, but was that a flashback Luca had or is he a bit fuzzy about it all? I mean he does say near the end that he's got to go back to his real life soon.

So he probably got it back after the virus, which would make total sense, so up until that point he had no recollection.

• Like 1
So he probably got it back after the virus, which would make total sense, so up until that point he had no recollection.
The virus needed him to understand the full context of "Grow Up Loser."
  • Like 2

Awesome surprise to see this pop up in my podcast feed the other day. I was thinking of pitching a quick recording about it with Liam when we meet up for PAX but I much prefer this. Listened to a little bit on my commute to work this morning, you picked a helluva team to talk about it,

Edited by DrippySlimeStar
49 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
1 hour ago, Bururian said:

The virus needed him to understand the full context of "Grow Up Loser."

His Sword of Loto vaccine was a real "No U" response to that.

• Like 1

@Woodus, if you haven't done the YouTube version of this yet, I can try to dig up some of the photos from the 2016 Dragon Quest Museum, the small scale models that I mentioned (or rather muddled about) on the podcast.

Edit: Okay, I've located the DQ Museum images relating to DQV and uploaded them to the drive, for your access!

Edited by Liamland
On 2/16/2020 at 1:46 PM, Plattym3 said:

Seeing that DQ FM stole our idea (kinda kidding, they just got on it during our hiatus) to go through the Abel TV series and talk about it, we couldn't get scooped on the movie! emoji23.png

Yeah, they just got to it first. I do want to do a series of Abel Yuusha podcasts (maybe 3-4 podcasts covering around 10 episodes per podcast with the final episode being mostly wrap up on the last 3 episodes and the series as a whole.)

I also want to do a DQIX podcast, but maybe later this year, for the sake of the audience not wanting to listen to another DQIX podcast so soon after DQFM has done it. For the DQIX podcast, I'd love to have @RPG Wizard as a guest, from our NYC DQIX Tag Mode Tuesday meet-up. It would be great to reminisce about our experience over the years with legacy boss battles in local co-op multiplayer, but also because RPG Wizard exquisitely retains more intricate details about this game, its coding, and its development than anyone I've ever met.

Hey @Woodus, For the YT version, 28:57 is where I start to talk about the small scale models from the DQ museum.

29:01 is the moment where I talk about the model for the infamous Pankraz death scene. I misremembered the perspective, though. You're actually looking at it from the doorway behind Pankraz. This particular model was an enclosed box with the room inside it. You had to lean down and look through the doorway to see the model of the scene.

20160808_233958.jpg

1 hour ago, Liamland said:

Hey @Woodus, For the YT version, 28:57 is where I start to talk about the small scale models from the DQ museum.

29:01 is the moment where I talk about the model for the infamous Pankraz death scene. I misremembered the perspective, though. You're actually looking at it from the doorway behind Pankraz. This particular model was an enclosed box with the room inside it. You had to lean down and look through the doorway to see the model of the scene.

20160808_233958.jpg

They did a really nice job making the scene look super creepy.

Around the 2 hour mark we start talking about people licking their Switch carts to taste the gross coating they put on to prevent people from licking their Switch carts...

Something I was too tired to remember to mention at the time is that when news broke about that, I bought a copy of Breath of the Wild for Switch, so I own the game, sealed, just in case I ever actually own a Switch. The reasoning is that I never want to buy a used Switch game, because you never know what rando might have licked it.

I may have mentioned this in the conversation after the recording, but this was a great reaction from sad Reylos on The Rise of Skywalker ending. The reposter added a joke (you'll know when).

Yeah, they just got to it first. I do want to do a series of Abel Yuusha podcasts (maybe 3-4 podcasts covering around 10 episodes per podcast with the final episode being mostly wrap up on the last 3 episodes and the series as a whole.)

That would be fun...if I ever saw the ending.

Edited by Dwaine
21 hours ago, Liamland said:

@Woodus, if you haven't done the YouTube version of this yet, I can try to dig up some of the photos from the 2016 Dragon Quest Museum, the small scale models that I mentioned (or rather muddled about) on the podcast.

Yeah, I probably won't get to it until next week, I am traveling the remainder of the week and won't have my personal laptop and drives with me.

Alright, I haven't posted in forever. But since I watched DQYS last night, I'll share the following thoughts...

Since a normalization follows the infamous twist, I was not as disappointed as I was anticipating. If anything, things like the old lady and the potion resolution were actually a creative way to alleviate the famous choice. At first my wife was down about said choice, and pleasantly surprised at the "everything's cool" twist.

I also liked a certain moose joining into the fray.

The infamous twist was good in intent. It was a big middle finger to the "games are for kids" crowd. However, its one of those things you'd be better off knowing at the start of the flick. It would have driven home that nostalgic middle finger.

Having read the spoilers last year, I understood Dr. Agon's line.

Finally, turning a long game into a 102 minute film required cuts, but I was actually surprised at how well they fused together the plot considering the restraints.

That said, DQ5 would make for a solid mini-series.

• Like 1

I think someone mentioned it would have made a great post-credits scene, for the guy to come out of a simulator at the very end and that's it. I think it would have worked way better than interrupting the main story that way. To build up 2 hours of story and tease Miduras/Nimzo and then instead deliver a red herring is just bad writing, IMO. I get that it's supposed to be a twist, I just thought it could have been handled way better. I think a lot of our fandom nostalgia goggles push us either extreme, to reject or accept the ending, and I waver between frustration and acceptance, but ultimately I have more sympathy and understanding toward the Japanese audience's reaction.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Liamland said:

To [completely uproot the story you were originally telling, that the audience wanted, expected, and paid you to tell, in order to stuff something completely different in the audience's face] is just bad writing....

Concurrence occurs in me.

5 hours ago, Brother Jaybird said:

Concurrence occurs in me.

Does that mean you were both enthralled and disgusted? I mean, I couldn't decide if the ending was depressing or not.

1 hour ago, redneckpride4ever said:

Does that mean you were both enthralled and disgusted? I mean, I couldn't decide if the ending was depressing or not.

Disappointed, mostly. It's like looking at a beautiful tapestry and once you finally reach the end you see somebody ripped away the original fabric and sewed on some garish, unfitting alternative. Even if you allow out of sheer generosity that they were trying to improve the tapestry, the final effect is to have essentially ruined that part. It's an act of tremendous incompetence at the very least.

Enjoyed the podcast up to a point but the ending was awful. Really disrespectful to your fans.

1 star.

Enjoyed the podcast up to a point but the ending was awful. Really disrespectful to your fans.

1 star.
Well, we followed the movie to the letter.
  • Like 2