Dragon Quest Your Story SPOILERS GALORE

98% of the movie was fantastic. The ending was #$*!.

They should have moved the segment where Tuppence is giving the player his selections to the very beginning. Just eliminate the twist.
@Liamland there's your edit.
I think the hero should have married Nera.  I mean she is prettier after all.
So... I invite you to play Marry, Thwack, Puff Puff! 684bcd1038578a1ae8aeece439ab4754.jpg
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hmm. I see there's a disagreement in the Den and I'm not participating in it. Let's fix that with a controlled shock. *Smarty Pants Hat On* Let's Define a Term: An adaptation, in this usag

Made this for Platty per his Twitter request

Oh, I know why I missed it. I was watching it with portuguese subs. It said "candy" hahaha. Whoever did the translation had no idea. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

@Liamland there's your edit. So... I invite you to play Marry, Thwack, Puff Puff! 684bcd1038578a1ae8aeece439ab4754.jpg

That small picture of Nera makes it look she has henna tattoos on her arms and neck.

Marry Mada, and Puffpuff Smilo. (This big boy looks so damn fluffy.) I'm not into Thwacking. :c

After finally watching the ending, I can only say that I am glad I paused after Bjorn the Behemoose come to the rescue to play the game again. I had some problems with the things that were cut until then, but I understand the limitations of a movie of ~90 minutes and a game of ~20 hours.

This thread is spoilers flagged, so I do not feel bad saying that the climax was... terrible? I should have known something was off when Mada died early, but it was not until Nimzo appeared that I was thinking wtf? A SAO wannabe? I would have been so much happier if they had left it real, rather than blending in elements of VI with the dream world. I guess this is what sells.

Question: I do not know much about Japanese culture, but my understanding is that they (i) read; (ii) flip pages; and (iii) write, in the opposite direction. While watching the movie a second time, I noted that while reading Pankraz's diary, the hero flipped the pages correctly (backwards), but in the memory, Pankraz is writing left to right? Just like a westerner would? As I said, I am not a scholar on Japanese culture, it just looked off.

And I suppose the eternal question of the canon wife has a pretty solid answer finally.

Oh, and Hi - I have been lurking for years, mostly to poach wisdom on the games. (Thanks Ignasia [Behindtheword], Plattym3, YangustheLegendaryBandit, Erdrick the Hero, and on and on)

• Like 1

After finally watching the ending, I can only say that I am glad I paused after Bjorn the Behemoose come to the rescue to play the game again. I had some problems with the things that were cut until then, but I understand the limitations of a movie of ~90 minutes and a game of ~20 hours.
This thread is spoilers flagged, so I do not feel bad saying that the climax was... terrible? I should have known something was off when Mada died early, but it was not until Nimzo appeared that I was thinking wtf? A SAO wannabe? I would have been so much happier if they had left it real, rather than blending in elements of VI with the dream world. I guess this is what sells.

From what I saw of box office totals, it's most definitely NOT what sells haha

Welcome to no longer lurking!
  • Like 1

Perhaps this is foolish question - but do you, or anyone, know reasonably how to factor in to that the number of netflix hits? I would assume that they track individual users, so myself watching twice and the liquid metal slime poster (23 views IIRC) both count as one. DQVII is out of the question, but I could imagine a re-imagining of VI, or even IV as an anime movie? IV would have to cut some characters, and VI simplify the plot. Thoughts? (I would go for VI, with the waking up aspect).

LOL ERROR: That was you Plattym3... first time in any encounter (even in a movie), look for a LMS orMKS - then act appropriately, depending on the game, my bad, second gaffe :)

Edited by Dilrakai
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, Dilrakai said:

Perhaps this is foolish question - but do you, or anyone, know reasonably how to factor in to that the number of netflix hits? I would assume that they track individual users, so myself watching twice and the liquid metal slime poster (23 views IIRC) both count as one. DQVII is out of the question, but I could imagine a re-imagining of VI, or even IV as an anime movie? IV would have to cut some characters, and VI simplify the plot. Thoughts? (I would go for VI, with the waking up aspect).

Netflix is famously secretive on exact numbers but occasionally try to grab headlines when something is a huge success. The few times they do announce exact numbers, the numbers are incredibly skewed. I looked into it and found out that Netflix counts at least 2 minutes as a view.

I do remember one time seeing an article that listed Seven Deadly Sins as the 4th most watched within 24 hours back in 2017.

Ok, back to questions in the story:

(i) without helping the faeries in the past, does the assistance in the present seem reasonable?

(ii) does the assistance of the prince of Coburg seem reasonable without the (side)-quest about the dowager mother?

(iii) why is Gotha cut out other than the references - no time?

(iv) Lofty peak would have taken too much, I would cut it myself

(v) Monty - 30 sec cameo??

(fan-service) would it not have been nice to see Zenithia fly?

4 hours ago, Dilrakai said:

(ii) does the assistance of the prince of Coburg seem reasonable without the (side)-quest about the dowager mother?

(iii) why is Gotha cut out other than the references - no time?

(fan-service) would it not have been nice to see Zenithia fly?

I get the distinct impression that the person in charge of the story didn't actually get as much of the story as he should have.

Edited by Brother Jaybird
  • Like 1

Your Story is a huge mess. Adapting any RPG into a 90-minute film is always going to result in something rushed and disjointed, but it's all the worse here because Dragon Quest V simply isn't suited to compression; the whole point of the game is that it follows a person from childhood to adulthood, showing all the hardships and milestones they experience along the way. That needs time to play out properly, and without it, none of these moments really land. In Your Story, there's something like twenty-five minutes between Luca meeting Nera and Luca wedding Bianca, and one scene change later they a son; by rushing from point to point, these no longer feel like major developments, just a checklist of events.

But even worse is that ending. I'm not going to comment on the worth of its message in general, but the impact it has on this story. A big part of V is that hero— you— are not the legendary, pre-destined, world-changing, capital-H Hero; your son is, and your duty is to protect and nurture him so he can become that Hero. Your Story follows that, only to suddenly swerve in a different direction and say instead that no, it is you who's the important one, who saves the day! More than anything else about the fllm, this is what bothers me the most, because it's a complete misread of V's themes. For a film that ends with a message that we should cherish our childhood memories, this one doesn't seem to actually remember V very well.

I am mostly just confused why they went with V as the basis here, if that twist and message is what they had in mind. I know it's a very popular and acclaimed one, but it doesn't have a monopoly on DQ nostalgia… both III and IV would have been better suited for what Your Story is trying to do.

• Upvote 1

I still defend the ending, even if it was out of left field. I know the story or DQV well. I wasn't expecting a full re-telling, or half of one at that. It's an adaptation, and it feels like a lot of people forget what that word means. I had a sneaking suspicion something was up from the 'Self Suggestion' scene and forward on. I should have picked up on it in the beginning when everything was 8-bit. It makes sense on why it was in the beginning. The story is slightly subverted because yes, you as the player are the hero. You always have been and you always will be. The movie came across to me as that, especially once the revealed happened. Some may call it cheap to pull at nostalgia like that but I think it works.

Everyone wanted a direct re-telling of a story we already know. There's nothing wrong with that, but there's nothing wrong with the movie as it is, either. I loved it.

• Like 1

The film should have been based on DQ1. That's the only RPG I'm aware of that could potentially be condensed into a film without losing too much of the story to be worth it.

DQ2 could have been a two-film set, or a particularly long film with a planned intermission point, splitting the story between gathering the party and getting the boat; and collecting the Sigils and confronting Hargon / Malroth.

I don't have time to break down the rest of the series right now, but each following game would need to be broken down into multiple parts for a film adaptation. I think the series is probably the best candidate of any game/series I've ever played for a good film adaptation. But these stories can't be told in single movie portions. Each game should basically be adapted info it's own mini series of films.

11 hours ago, Bururian said:

there's nothing wrong with the movie as it is, either.

I couldn't agree more. This isn't a DQV movie, this a movie about someone playing DQV VR, an adaption of the original game (and therefore not THE Dragon Quest V that we all know), and the story of how the hero loves his video game experience, the characters in it and the story, to contrast with the antagonist, not Ladja, but the guy who cannot begin to understand why Luca enjoys his video games. A vilain who obviously has never heard of catharsis. 

I just love the fact that this movie isn't just a DQV movie, but I can see why people can be... Frustrated by it, as the movie was advertised as being that. Then again, it would have been a shame to spoil the ending in the trailers. 

Again, I loved the ending, and the love letter it is to any fan of the saga, but to any fiction-lover as a whole. ♥️

Dragon Quest XI looks better than Your Story.
Disagree.

The film should have been based on DQ1. That's the only RPG I'm aware of that could potentially be condensed into a film without losing too much of the story to be worth it.

By length sure, but that's a boring story. I mean, I have a set ride/show at most theme parks I go on just to take a nap. In the pantheon of future possible DQ movies, that'd be my nap time movie.
11 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Disagree.

By length sure, but that's a boring story. I mean, I have a set ride/show at most theme parks I go on just to take a nap. In the pantheon of future possible DQ movies, that'd be my nap time movie.

Didn’t you already have nap time while watching the movie the first time? That Kasnooze spell from Nimzo really did a number on you... 😘

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Xiggy said:

I just love the fact that this movie isn't just a DQV movie, but I can see why people can be... Frustrated by it, as the movie was advertised as being that. Then again, it would have been a shame to spoil the ending in the trailers. 

I mean, the better choice would have been to just make a wholly original story. Not only would that solve the issue of the rushed pacing, but they would be free to lift iconography from all across the series… and ultimately deliver a message that's about the series as a whole instead of V specifically.

6 minutes ago, Sham hatwitch said:

I mean, the better choice would have been to just make a wholly original story. Not only would that solve the issue of the rushed pacing, but they would be free to lift iconography from all across the series… and ultimately deliver a message that's about the series as a whole instead of V specifically.

They did that with the music, though.

Why would it make any difference if they used stuff from all across the series?  Specifically here Dragon Quest V was Luca's favorite game so that's why it's DQV and not...everything else.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I can't have 2 naps!? emoji23.png

I suppose the older you get the more rest you need... 🤣

11 minutes ago, Bururian said:

Why would it make any difference if they used stuff from all across the series?  Specifically here Dragon Quest V was Luca's favorite game so that's why it's DQV and not...everything else.

But Luca isn't a real person, he's as fictional as the rest of it. The only reason DQ5, specifically, is "his favourite" is because that's how the writers chose to approach the story— and there's no reason that they couldn't have chosen a different tack in writing the film.

What difference would it make? Well, the ultimate message of the film is that we should cherish and embrace our experiences with video games, because even if it's "just" fiction, it can be moving, affecting, resonant and personally important all the same… and I think filtering that through one specific game is a little odd. Is DQ5 supposed to the only game worth celebrating? Surely not, but it's really easy to read it that way!