Plattym3

Dragon Quest Your Story SPOILERS GALORE

I've seen Erdrick/Roto labeled as Arus in Japanese, too. DQ7 is the only game where the name makes it into the code/files though. It appears as アルス in Japanese in bother the PS1 and 3DS versions, Aluse on PS1 in English, and Auster on 3DS in English. This can be confirmed: on the PS1 version, you can enable the debug mode with a GameShark code. In the debug menu, there is an option that will put the game into demo/kiosk mode. This is fully translated, but I don't think the English version was ever used. Anyway, starting the demo resets the hero's stats to default, including his name, which defaults to Aluse. As far as I know, there's no way to access DQ7 3DS' debug mode on a retail copy, but dumping the game's script reveals that the hero's default name is in fact Auster.

I think I read that DQ3 SNES defaults the hero's name to Arus, but I also vaguely recall that this name was changed to Arus by the fan translation team, so I'm not entirely sure on this.

I've seen both the player and the Hero of V labeled as Arus in places.

I think I read that one of the animes has an Arus.

Alus. Arus. Anus.

The real hero name is Plattym3, or Platty if you'd prefer. I mean that's what all my copies of the various games say.

Emblem of Roto uses Arus for its main character.

I've never seen Arus used in V, though he started being referred to as Abel around the PS2 era.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Alus. Arus. Anus.

The real hero name is Plattym3, or Platty if you'd prefer. I mean that's what all my copies of the various games say.

Out of curiosity, are you the kind of guy who renames Link to your own name/online name?

Out of curiosity, are you the kind of guy who renames Link to your own name/online name?
That'd require me to play a Zelda game.

I did rename all my people on Earthbound. I have no clue who Ness is on Smash, he looks a lot like Matt.

I really enjoyed Your Story. I didn't know about the ending. I figured something was going on first by the self suggestion thing, then two mentions of "This time". I loved the ending. It really spoke to me. The movie title seals the deal, too. I know people wanted a full on adaptation of DQ5, but I liked what they did here.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Your Story. I didn't know about the ending. I figured something was going on first by the self suggestion thing, then two mentions of "This time". I loved the ending. It really spoke to me. The movie title seals the deal, too. I know people wanted a full on adaptation of DQ5, but I liked what they did here.
Bururian is Squeenix shill account confirmed.

21 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
2 hours ago, Bururian said:

Bururian is Squeenix shill account confirmed.

Here's the funny part, You're joking, but I do shill a lot of Square Enix stuff.

I love Dragon Quest with all my heart though, and I truly did enjoy this movie.

• Like 2

Watched the whole thing from beginning to end today. Ooph Your Story has some critical pacing problems. The choice to cut out 90% of his childhood was the biggest one, but from then on it sorta zips through some stuff that could’ve been cut (the fairies), and while I didn’t hate the ending, it was still 10 minutes that could’ve been used to alleviate some of the pacing issues. As well as the pointless twist that Bianca was a Zenithian too all along. Was that in the game?

Interestingly, I didn’t hate the majority of the stuff they outright cut. Removing Gotha altogether for example. The journey there being pulled also made the reveal that Bianca was pregnant less weird. We joke about how ridiculous it was in the game a fair amount when it comes up. I liked the solution to the Nera or Bianca problem, but their really quick introductions at the start undercut what should have been an emotional reunion. I imagine anyone not familiar with the game must’ve been so confused why Luca cared so much about Nera when they met again. But I’ll also say the choice to make Bjorn the test to marry Nera was better in my opinion as well.

All in all, it was very meh. Also:

On 2/13/2020 at 9:17 PM, eal said:

The ending being, “I’m going to stay in this fake world because it feels real to me,” is just the opposite extreme, when there should be a happy middle.

My earlier reading on this scene was completely wrong because I missed the one line of dialogue where Luca explicitly says the game is ending and he’ll be going back to his real life soon but he won’t forget the people he met on his journey. So I take this part back.

Also, I think I noticed an error in the dub. At the end, Luca’s mom mentioned Nimzo has attained a greater power than before when I think she meant to refer to Ladja, who was trying to get more power pretty much the whole movie.

Edited by eal
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, eal said:

As well as the pointless twist that Bianca was a Zenithian too all along. Was that in the game?

Every bride is of Zenithia descent. That wasn’t a pointless twist, it’s brought up in the game. 

In short, all three brides are descendants of Zenithians and it’s implied the three of them are sisters. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong on that part, but I remember the game saying your wife is a Zenithian. It’s part of why Ladja turns you and the bride into stone and how the protagonist is even able to beat one of Ladja’s lackies.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

22 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Every bride is of Zenithia descent. That wasn’t a pointless twist, it’s brought up in the game. 

In short, all three brides are descendants of Zenithians and it’s implied the three of them are sisters. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong on that part, but I remember the game saying your wife is a Zenithian. It’s part of why Ladja turns you and the bride into stone and how the protagonist is even able to beat one of Ladja’s lackies.

I would still consider it a pointless twist if they didn’t do much of value with it. They cut a number of things for time and they easily could’ve done the same with that. In the movie at least, he brings her to Luca’s mother to get Bianca to communicate with her, but she gives up no information and turns Bianca to stone when it becomes clear she won’t be useful. This definitely didn’t happen in the game. It would’ve likely saved more time if they were simply turned to stone together and set free at the same time.

Also, I think I noticed an error in the dub. At the end, Luca’s mom mentioned Nimzo has attained a greater power than before when I think she meant to refer to Ladja, who was trying to get more power pretty much the whole movie.

I caught a few sub/dub differences that changed meaning. In this case, likely both are right. I mean, computer virus Nimzo was more powerful too. The dude playing Luca indicates he's done this multiple times (he's reminding himself to pick Nera for once) so obviously it hasn't always ended with Nimzo being a virus.

50 minutes ago, eal said:

I would still consider it a pointless twist if they didn’t do much of value with it. They cut a number of things for time and they easily could’ve done the same with that. In the movie at least, he brings her to Luca’s mother to get Bianca to communicate with her, but she gives up no information and turns Bianca to stone when it becomes clear she won’t be useful. This definitely didn’t happen in the game. It would’ve likely saved more time if they were simply turned to stone together and set free at the same time.

The point of Bianca being Zenithian is what allows the son/Alus to wield the Zenithia Sword. The hero had to be born with that blood coursing in his veins, and his father (Madason) couldn’t wield the sword because neither of his parents were from Zenithia/had any kind of relationship to the Zenithians. In the game it’s that one of the parents must have the blood of a Zenithian (the bride), and because of that the boy can wield the sword and Zenithian gear and why Ladja was hell bent on trying to separate the two.

They didn’t really say anything in the movie (that I remember) but I assumed because both parents had relations to Zenithians that the combined bloodlines essentially made Alus the one worthy to wield the sword, since both Luca and Bianca had Zenithian qualities/traits to them.

Really, I don’t feel like nitpicking the #$*! out of the movie other than the weird ass virus ending bit. It was a Dragon Quest movie, and one that frankly felt like an actual good video game interpretation film instead of some of the lame #$*! you usually see. It was fun watching the adventure and characters in a new way, so I just enjoyed it for that.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

18 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I caught a few sub/dub differences that changed meaning. In this case, likely both are right. I mean, computer virus Nimzo was more powerful too. The dude playing Luca indicates he's done this multiple times (he's reminding himself to pick Nera for once) so obviously it hasn't always ended with Nimzo being a virus.

I’ve heard some complaints that the Your Name dub by the same studio had some similar issues.

Also, I took the scene where he mentioned always picking Bianca as him referring to picking her in the original SNES game and PS2 port (you see him playing both) and that for this version he wanted to choose Nera.

12 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

The point of Bianca being Zenithian is what allows the son/Alus to wield the Zenithia Sword. The hero had to be born with that blood coursing in his veins, and his father (Madason) couldn’t wield the sword because neither of his parents were from Zenithia/had any kind of relationship to the Zenithians. In the game it’s that one of the parents must have the blood of a Zenithian (the bride), and because of that the boy can wield the sword and Zenithian gear and why Ladja was hell bent on trying to separate the two.

They didn’t really say anything in the movie (that I remember) but I assumed because both parents had relations to Zenithians that the combined bloodlines essentially made Alus the one worthy to wield the sword, since both Luca and Bianca had Zenithian qualities/traits to them.

I don’t doubt that it has a point in the game. The fact that I don’t remember it means it didn’t bother me. But for the movie itself it seemed pointless or something they could have done away with to fit something of more value. To me, this movie really needed more of Luca’s childhood for example.

I wrote a short story years ago on Kindle and even before that for a creative writing class that used the same concept as the ending.

You're not going to get the full story of Dragon Quest V is a >2 Hour movie. I think The path they chose for this was pretty great. It would have to be LotR Extended lengths to make a good movie, and even then people would come out of the wood work to explain why it was too long. I think people are being harder on it than needs to be. It's an OK movie.

Edited by Bururian
more info
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bururian said:

You're not going to get the full story of Dragon Quest V is a >2 Hour movie. I think The path they chose for this was pretty great. It would have to be LotR Extended lengths to make a good movie, and even then people would come out of the wood work to explain why it was too long. I think people are being harder on it than needs to be. It's an OK movie.

You’re not going to get the full story of Dragon Quest V in a movie if you want every little detail, sure. But I think the way they stripped out important scenes from Luca’s childhood that are relevant to the story and constantly referenced (how many times did they mention Uptaten Tower?) is pretty fair criticism. Those are not minor details.

98% of the movie was fantastic. The ending was #$*!.

They should have moved the segment where Tuppence is giving the player his selections to the very beginning. Just eliminate the twist.

• Like 1

I really liked it and I actually liked the ending.

My only beef really was the lack of Toriyama art, but I did like the style they used.

DQ has been a big fixture in my life over 30 years, and even though it might just be games to some they're a large part of who I am today. Really games in general but DQ got me into gaming.

The adventures, trials I've had in games shaped my child years and still does. I met the love of my life over 12 years ago in FFXI and we've been living together since July 2009.

They're real to me, damnit. #$*! you virus and their creator. But hey, I can see why some didn't like it.

Edited by Tiael
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Bururian said:

You can't get absolutely everything, nor should you try, but I think the essential story is perfectly adaptable. GIven DQV is about revisiting and reinterpreting events as Madason carries his father's quest, so stripping it down to those events should be the main effort. So off the top of my head: (FIRST PHASE) Prolog->Uptaten Towers->Faerie Lea->Pankraz' Death (No Coburg, No Harry) (SECOND PHASE) Escape -> Hay -> Bianca -> Gotha -> Statues (THIRD PHASE) Lofty Peak -> Faerie Palace -> Zenithia -> Temple Zugzwang -> Nadiria.

There's some adjustments to be made (I'd gloss over the faerie lea adventure almost entirely, since all we need is for the hero to have a relationship with the faeries to set up one of the game's iconic scenes), and I would in fact strip out the bride choice entirely--that particular love triangle has always been a stupid gimmick that only manages to make people who should be major characters interchangeable and irrelevant.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Slimeknight said:

I think the hero should have married Nera.  I mean she is prettier after all.

You are opening a can of worms with this post, haha.

@Brother Jaybird I have read your post and will comment more when I don't have a dinner party to attend. I agree with you mostly however.

2 hours ago, Brother Jaybird said:

I would in fact strip out the bride choice entirely--that particular love triangle has always been a stupid gimmick that only manages to make people who should be major characters interchangeable and irrelevant.

See, I really liked the way they handled the love triangle...for the most part. The stuff that was cut at the start had a negative impact but they did the best they could with what they kept in and expanded on for the proposals.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 3:15 PM, Tiael said:

I really liked it and I actually liked the ending.

My only beef really was the lack of Toriyama art, but I did like the style they used.

DQ has been a big fixture in my life over 30 years, and even though it might just be games to some they're a large part of who I am today. Really games in general but DQ got me into gaming.

The adventures, trials I've had in games shaped my child years and still does. I met the love of my life over 12 years ago in FFXI and we've been living together since July 2009.

They're real to me, damnit. #$*! you virus and their creator. But hey, I can see why some didn't like it.

I had the twist at the end spoiled for me, and still enjoyed the movie, twist and all.  Even shared the movie with a couple of friends on the 14th.  (Happy Birthday to me!) 

I was still on board with the movie with it's virus final bad guy, and Luca spouting about the power of the story over him and all... but something in my brain just tuned out when Gootrude revealed himself as an anti-virus measure.  I don't care that he turned into Erdrick's sword in a pivotal moment of triumph.  His reveal at end made me do a mental eye-roll and think "Okay, the virtual world twist I could take... the power of story and friendship, Etc.  That's half the reason I watch anime in the first place... but something about this final twist is a touch too much even for me!"

Oh well.  I still loved the voyage, and even the cheesy reveal of Doctor Agon I would have seen a mile away even if I had NOT played DQ6. 

Pluses to the movie include the generous and wise use of many iconic music pieces from DQ history, and the splendid render of the Zenithian Sword.  Also the comical reveal that the protag is not the true wielder of the sword.   *wah-wah trumpet*