Dragon Quest Your Story SPOILERS GALORE

Well, if the title didn't warn you, here's one more chance: this is a spoiler-tag free topic.  Things WILL be spoiled here.

Last chance.

Turn back.

That said.  I've seen the movie 1.5 times now. Jotted down a semi-coherent set of notes at 4am when I watched it the first time and haven't needed to edit much on the 2nd watch.  Here's what I was thinking as I watched it:

• Different sub/dub. At one point Sancho is crying and Pankraz asks if he's OK. Sub says no. Dub say yes. 
    • Also early on they're talking about Ladja's plan to free Nimzo and there's an expression of "Nimzo!" the sub says Ladja.
    • The sub seems far more detailed. Sancho says Luca's mom was kind. Sub says intelligent and beautiful. 
    • In sub, Lucas mom says he should not have come. It's not stated in the dub. 
  • Cute moments - Luca stepping in his dad's footsteps while walking in the snow. 
  • Was gonna watch with my kids. Bishop Ladja and that death of dad fight was pretty gruesome though. 
  • Luca never seems dressed for cold. Short sleeves in snow. Later on he comments on it being cold!
  • Loved the DQ music and sound effects throughout the game. The cursed sound effect when the Zenitiahn Sword was gone. 
  • Didn't Briscolleti have the Z shield?  Yep, confirmed that.
  • Cool effect when Luca's cured by medical herbs, his burned body heals
  • When Luca finds out he's not the Heavenly Hero? Hilarious in middle of Bjorn fight. 
  • Gootrude in Luca's purple robe/hood. Hilarious! 
  • Nice proposal. Like how the whole wedding/bride choice was handled. Completely blindsided by when Nera turned out to be the old witch that gave 
  • Good mention of Puff Puff by Bianca. 
  • WTF. One kid!? Not twins. 
  • Passage of time montage when Luca is stone wasn't the same, but still well done. 
  • Ending - Meh, calling him a loser. Blowing in the cart! explains the robot monsters 
  • Ending was fine. Not as bad as it was made out to be. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hmm. I see there's a disagreement in the Den and I'm not participating in it. Let's fix that with a controlled shock. *Smarty Pants Hat On* Let's Define a Term: An adaptation, in this usag

Made this for Platty per his Twitter request

Oh, I know why I missed it. I was watching it with portuguese subs. It said "candy" hahaha. Whoever did the translation had no idea. 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Billy MK said:

Just finished warching the movie. My short review:  

I get what they tried to do with that ending. They're actually trying to appeal to the players nostalgia, knowing they couldn't just recreate the original game story with that adaptation. My bigest issue is that they chose the worst DQ game to try that. The fact that your father, wife and son, aren't real take away all the emotion. DQV is so emotionally heavy. If they were going to do this, they should have picked a more neutral game like DQIII. 

Now, having made that decision, they should have kept the "virus" with Nimzo appearance, it would have made the scene more interesting. It wouldn't just be a generic looking villain affronting the "player", but it would actually be the game's villain. The biggest let down is that you never get to see Nimzo. For people who never played the game is an even bigger confusion because you hear about him during the whole movie.

Other then that, I miss the fact they didn't include the daughter. I really wanted to see some interaction with the hero and Pankraz when he goes back in time. I was getting emotional out of my memories of the game alone.

Everything else was well done, considering the amount of time and changes they had to make. I didn't like the whole "potiong" thing at first, but when I saw it was Nera, it got very clever. I miss they didn't actually have a mariage scene, and I would also have been nice if they had the scene where the hero made the choice in front of Nera's father.
Also, they could have added Deborah just for a cameo. 

Yeah, I wasn't upset with that ending at all, and agree, why couldn't Nimzo look like Nimzo.

Daughter missing and Deborah not being there (although I get she wasn't in the SNES version and this was definitely SNEstalgia-heavy) kinda stunk.  Guess that saved some development yen.

And yeah, Luca should've made the call in front of the dad, because he's an option, right? image.png

25 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

In the bar at one point. c75ebdba7092d7bcf11d012687ede61e.jpg

Oh, I know why I missed it. I was watching it with portuguese subs. It said "candy" hahaha. Whoever did the translation had no idea. 

• Like 3

metal_slimes.gif

• Like 3
THEY CENSORED A PUFF PUFF
THEY CENSORED A PUFF PUFF
3 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

THEY CENSORED A PUFF PUFFTHEY CENSORED A PUFF PUFF

Can we not start a shouting match over censorship? They just didn’t say the word(s), not cut it from the movie. In the English and JP dubs Bianca just says it, nothing is shown onscreen.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
52 minutes ago, eal said:

Platty’s angling to be the Den’s resident Your Story go-to expert.

Good, we could use one.

It seems they found a good use for Nera as opposed to the girl you tried to marry for her father's treasure.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Can we not start a shouting match over censorship? They just didn’t say the word(s), not cut it from the movie. In the English and JP dubs Bianca just says it, nothing is shown onscreen.

No, let’s get a shouting match going. Those are always the best. This topic will be 25 pages by Friday morning.

• Like 1
I misunderstood, but it was just a joke lol
  • Like 1
31 minutes ago, eal said:

No, let’s get a shouting match going. Those are always the best. This topic will be 25 pages by Friday morning.

2 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
2 hours ago, Woodus said:

metal_slimes.gif

The 23rd time. That's how many times I watched it before I saw the LMS in the corner.

Hilarious! I noticed it was there right away.

The ending is not as bad as I thought, although it was pretty jarring. And I have to admit it's a pretty cute film (despite Pankraz's death being more brutal than I would have thought for a film rated PG).

Is it just me or there are scenes where the music playing in the background seem rather out of place (like when Bianca is turned into the statue by Nizmo, "Saint" from Dragon Quest V plays in the background)?

29 minutes ago, Dakhil said:

The ending is not as bad as I thought, although it was pretty jarring. And I have to admit it's a pretty cute film (despite Pankraz's death being more brutal than I would have thought for a film rated PG).

Is it just me or there are scenes where the music playing in the background seem rather out of place (like when Bianca is turned into the statue by Nizmo, "Saint" from Dragon Quest V plays in the background)?

I didn’t think it was jarring enough. I was expecting him to turn to ashes after that Kafrizzle attack like in the games, but, in the words of Monty Python, “I’M NOT DEAD!”

And yeah, that part having “Saint,” play over it was weird. Totally didn’t fit, but that was the one time I found the music didn’t fit the scene.

Yep, that *squish* sound during that battle was the point in which I questioned if I'll show it to my sons this weekend.

"That was...something lmao. The major changes they made to the story were weird and I knew the ending twist but it was just...weird. The entire last 10 minutes I just watched in disbelief."

That was my tweet about it trying not to spoil anything. Only one kid being there was weird but when you think about it, the gane focuses on him and the girl is just kinda...there. I love the ending message and it felt personal, these games are real to me damn it! I got my wife to watch it with me and kept having to say "that doesn't happen in the game" or "well, THAT was different". Overall, I enjoyed it...it's god damn Dragon Quest and I'm happy it's in the world. I think if they had pitched it being "about" Dragon Quest and the games and not "it's the story of 5" it would've been received better in Japan.

• Like 2

I spoiled myself on this movie months ago and I was aware of the ending, but I don’t have time to watch it tonight (I will tomorrow) so I just jumped to the controversial twist to see what the big deal was. Sometimes it’s all in the delivery and you need more context then a simple synopsis is going to give. Obviously this means I could be missing an hour and 20 minutes of context so feel free to tell me I’m wrong on this one.

Did people think they were being personally attacked because someone told Luca, the gamer, to “grow up, loser”? Because Luca almost immediately counters by saying his journey and the time he spent was real and valuable to him. I will say, this was probably the worst game in the series to place this message. I think maybe one of the Erdrick trilogy games would’ve made more sense. Because this is the game where you form a family and connections and experience, two decades of a life (you’re 26 at the end of the game right?), some of it as a slave too. If this was a scenario that happened in real life, I can only imagine how emotionally traumatizing it would be to have to leave this world. The ending being, “I’m going to stay in this fake world because it feels real to me,” is just the opposite extreme, when there should be a happy middle.

• Like 2

Also, knowing about the twist at the end helps dealing with it. I mean, if I had spent all this time waiting to see THE DQV movie and it ended like that it would just be too sad.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, eal said:

I spoiled myself on this movie months ago and I was aware of the ending, but I don’t have time to watch it tonight (I will tomorrow) so I just jumped to the controversial twist to see what the big deal was. Sometimes it’s all in the delivery and you need more context then a simple synopsis is going to give. Obviously this means I could be missing an hour and 20 minutes of context so feel free to tell me I’m wrong on this one.

Did people think they were being personally attacked because someone told Luca, the gamer, to “grow up, loser”? Because Luca almost immediately counters by saying his journey and the time he spent was real and valuable to him. I will say, this was probably the worst game in the series to place this message. I think maybe one of the Erdrick trilogy games would’ve made more sense. Because this is the game where you form a family and connections and experience, two decades of a life (you’re 26 at the end of the game right?), some of it as a slave too. If this was a scenario that happened in real life, I can only imagine how emotionally traumatizing it would be to have to leave this world. The ending being, “I’m going to stay in this fake world because it feels real to me,” is just the opposite extreme, when there should be a happy middle.

A few of us spoiled the ending months ago too. I figured it was going to be far worse from what I was told, but it really wasn’t that bad. I do think the message would have worked better with, say, Dragon Quest III what with the create a party aspect and whatnot, but I get it. I think all of us have that one DQ game where we feel a real strong attachment to it. I personally feel that way about DQ7. It was one of the last DQ mainline games I played and by the end of the game I felt a lot of attachment to the world and characters.

I sure didn’t feel offended by the ending’s delivery of what the villain says, but it and that whole sequence just felt out of left field.

Also, the main character realizes he needs to leave the world and accepts that but he won’t forget the adventure and characters. He doesn’t plan to stay. That’s what I got from the ending anyway.

The movie is worth watching. It’s just 5 minutes at the end that just is...weird.

• Like 1
"That was...something lmao. The major changes they made to the story were weird and I knew the ending twist but it was just...weird. The entire last 10 minutes I just watched in disbelief."
That was my tweet about it trying not to spoil anything. Only one kid being there was weird but when you think about it, the gane focuses on him and the girl is just kinda...there. I love the ending message and it felt personal, these games are real to me damn it! I got my wife to watch it with me and kept having to say "that doesn't happen in the game" or "well, THAT was different". Overall, I enjoyed it...it's god damn Dragon Quest and I'm happy it's in the world. I think if they had pitched it being "about" Dragon Quest and the games and not "it's the story of 5" it would've been received better in Japan.
So maybe more like the Ni no Kuni movie that was obviously set in that world, but not in any way attached to the stories.
37 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
2 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

So maybe more like the Ni no Kuni movie that was obviously set in that world, but not in any way attached to the stories.

Yeah. Just establish that there's a separate world. I feel like people would relate to it more and feel for the main character in the hypothetical real world because they'd see themselves in him.