eal

Game Rumor Thread

Posted (edited)

Assuming this is all true, this is wonderful news.  But isn't W101 a Nintendo-owned IP?  How is it supposed to come to PS4 or Xbox One?

VPN Sai Mannat AnyDesk

Edited by avensis

Posted (edited)

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/super-mario-bros-35th-anniversary/

Super-Mario-30-1024x564.jpg

Nintendo is planning to celebrate Super Mario Bros.' 35th anniversary this year with several major releases, new and old.

Multiple sources have told VGC that the platform holder is planning to hold an event to coincide with this year's anniversary, which marks 35 years since the start of the mainline Super Mario series in 1985.

As part of its anniversary celebrations, Nintendo will reveal plans to re-release most of Super Mario's 35-year back catalogue this year, remastered for Nintendo Switch, VGC was told.

As VGC's network partner Eurogamer reported in a follow-up to our story, these remasters will include 1997's Super Mario 64, 2002's Super Mario Sunshine and 2007's Super Mario Galaxy.

Nintendo will also release several other Mario titles in 2020, including a new instalment in the Paper Mario series and a Deluxe version of 2013's Super Mario 3D World.

Super-Mario-35-1-scaled.jpg

Most of Mario’s back catalogue will be remastered for Switch, VGC was told.

The plans are set to be revealed alongside new details of Nintendo's partnership with Universal, and the pair's Super Nintendo World theme park attractions and animated Super Mario movie.

Nintendo has already unveiled one flagship licensing deal planned to commemorate the anniversary: a special interactive Lego Mario set which sees players collecting coins and defeating enemies in real-life 'levels'.

The Super Mario 35th Anniversary reveal was originally due to take place as a physical event at E3 in June, VGC was told, but Nintendo is now reviewing its plans in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. E3 2020 has been cancelled due to the virus outbreak and Nintendo could instead opt for a digital showcase.

Approached for comment on this story, Nintendo said it "does not comment on rumour and speculation."

Nintendo last celebrated a milestone Mario anniversary with the series' 30th anniversary in 2015.

The company commemorated the occasion with various events and merchandise, including two special edition 8-bit Mario Amiibos. Super Mario was licensed for products from Hot Wheels, Moschino, Trump cards and more.

That year's celebrations culminated with the release of Super Mario Maker for Wii U in September 2015, exactly 30 years since Super Mario Bros.' original release for Famicom in Japan.

While its core business remains making and selling games, Nintendo has increasingly moved to leverage its popular IP in various ways in recent years.

The company's new Nintendo Tokyo store opened in November 2019, while the Super Nintendo World theme park land at Universal Studios Japan was scheduled to launch this summer.

The company has also recently partnered with fashion brands such as Uniqlo and Levis for Nintendo-themed clothing lines.

Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa recently said the company's efforts to broaden its audience by leveraging its IP outside of video games was bearing fruit, and Nintendo director Shigeru Miyamoto also touched on this topic in a Famitsu interview.

"We want to expand our video game characters to a variety of settings – not just in games, all while keeping their value,"  Miyamoto said. "In other words, we'll be collaborating with various other companies. If we're able to accomplish that, we can create more opportunities for people to make contact with our characters on a much larger scale than usual."

Edited by Dakhil

The Sunshine rumors have been swirling for months so I wouldn’t be surprised. I’d honestly be surprised if the 3D Super Mario games didn’t come out on the Switch at some point. I imagine they’d probably shove those three games onto one cart and put the re-release the remainder of the older Mario games on another cart as a different package. The Mario Anniversary Collection and the Super Mario Anniversary Collection or something.

It would be nice if it is true. I have been itching to replay through Sunshine for a while now.

6 hours ago, Twinkie said:

It would be nice if it is true. I have been itching to replay through Sunshine for a while now.

I replayed it recently. You forget how rough the camera is. If they ever do a remake of it, that’s something they really need to fix.

Posted (edited)

That's a lot of Mario. I don't think I've played a Mario game since Super Mario Bros. 3.

Eh, maybe a little of the New Super Mario Bros. on Wii and DS, but not too far.

Screw that bum, I'm enjoying the heck out of playing through Luigi's Mansion 3 right now though. I really just don't like Mario.

Edited by Plattym3

I'm waiting (hopefully) for The Legend of Zelda collection to come to the Nintendo Switch next year since next year's the 35th anniversary of The Legend of Zelda series.

• Like 2

I'm waiting (hopefully) for The Legend of Zelda collection to come to the Nintendo Switch next year since next year's the 35th anniversary of The Legend of Zelda series.
Sounds like you & Nintendo have got 2021 pegged down.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, eal said:

I replayed it recently. You forget how rough the camera is. If they ever do a remake of it, that’s something they really need to fix.

True.

Though my biggest complaint with the game over the years is the unskippable cutscenes. I hate going through the first 7 minutes or so not doing anything each time I play through the game.

The Flipnote Studio was revealed to be fake today as well. No surprise, a lot of the "hints" that the leak revealed felt really dubious.

Edited by Twinkie

49 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

True.

Though my biggest complaint with the game over the years is the unskippable cutscenes. I hate going through the first 7 minutes or so not doing anything each time I play through the game.

I actually don’t mind the cutscenes all that much. The camera is 50% of my problem, the other 50% is that you need to get 7 Shine Sprites from each area. I much prefer a standard number, like 60. I never beat the game because I was stuck on the Manta Ray level.

10 minutes ago, eal said:

I actually don’t mind the cutscenes all that much. The camera is 50% of my problem, the other 50% is that you need to get 7 Shine Sprites from each area. I much prefer a standard number, like 60. I never beat the game because I was stuck on the Manta Ray level.

My least favorite parts of the game are the secret zones you can access in Delfino Plaza (that #$*!ing pachinko board and the poison river that takes ages to get to can both #$*! off) and finding all of the blue coins.

I like looking for them, but when you get to the point of missing like 2 or 3 in a world it becomes difficult to finish off finding them all.

• Like 1