Opinions on that DQXI Character Week 4 - Mordegon, [Spoiler], DQXI Hero

So, last week of these.  The Spoiler character is Calasmos

Anyway, these three.  Thoughts on them?

For me:

Mordegon

Spoiler

Honestly the most grating thing about him is we don't see most of his character's context until he's dead.  Without it he's not much more or less interesting than your typical DQ antagonist.  He basically wins halfway through the main game, but other DQ villains have also basically won in the past.  

I did somehow see the Morcant twist coming as soon as Morcant was brought up, I blame the names tbh.  Or maybe how mysterious and vague they are when Morcant was brought up.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Calasmos I didn't have much opinion on really.  He doesn't have much character beyond superpowerful evil alien that Erdwin and friends fought.  He did get Mordegon into villainy in a way so he's got that going for him?  I wish they explored his connection with the tockles a bit more at least.  End of Time was a palette swap of him and turned out to be a tockle, and he ran around in a tockle-like form before getting his body back.  There's totally something more there, right?

DQXI Hero

Spoiler

Unlike most of this forum I actually like his design, he's very good looking in my books.  I don't really have much to say about him as a character, oops.  I guess I like him enough.

Mordegon: I did like Mordegon as a villain, as he was both imposing and actually dangerous - unlike villains who just sit around on a nice throne all day. He had an ominous presence all throughout the game and even had a bit of a backstory to him, which gave him a little more depth. Seeing him actually succeed in a goal was interesting and it made him feel very threatening as all the towns suffered as a result, which I enjoyed. I found the final boss fight with him to be very fun and somewhat reminiscent of Mortamor.

Calasmos: Eh, didn't really like him. Didn't have any character unlike Mordegon and Jasper. He was just some evil guy that we have to kill. He wasn't threatening, ominous, and was a villain who just sat around in a nice space bubble all day. More could've been done with him - exploring his relationship to the tockles would've made him more memorable.

DQXI Hero: I like the Luminary's design. Compared to other Dragon Quest heroes he interacted with the party really well, and his grunts were funny but worked. Having him talk as a child was unexpected and there was excellent attention to detail in giving him a different accent in Rab's bonus story.

On 2/1/2020 at 4:32 AM, Hendrik of Heliodor said:

Calasmos: Eh, didn't really like him. Didn't have any character unlike Mordegon and Jasper. He was just some evil guy that we have to kill. He wasn't threatening, ominous, and was a villain who just sat around in a nice space bubble all day. More could've been done with him - exploring his relationship to the tockles would've made him more memorable.

I didn’t really care for him either, but I do like how he’s around for pretty much the entire game. The cutscenes of Gallopolis during Act 2 and how the strange black Tockle came into play was unexpected, and having another DQ villain succeed with their plans (both being in the same game no less) was interesting. I hate his design and still think it’s one of the worst Toriyama final boss designs, but there was some good stuff going for Calasmos.

He did feel like more of a threat than Mordegon at least.

I have one question about spoiler character

Calasmos became Zoma, that is clear enough, but who came next? Malroth and Dragon Lord were localized soley to Torland and Alefgard. Nokturnus could fit given his pretty blatant stuff about being an eternal fundamental force of nature as described in Dragon Quest X and being comparable to God in BRV, but he seems to be an even deeper more neutral force rather than soley a force of hatred/evil like Calasmos, perhaps it could also be Estark or Mortamor?

Edited by Shun 'Kanamee
13 hours ago, Shun 'Kanamee said:

I have one question about spoiler character

Hide contents

Calasmos became Zoma, that is clear enough, but who came next? Malroth and Dragon Lord were localized soley to Torland and Alefgard. Nokturnus could fit given his pretty blatant stuff about being an eternal fundamental force of nature as described in Dragon Quest X and being comparable to God in BRV, but he seems to be an even deeper more neutral force rather than soley a force of hatred/evil like Calasmos, perhaps it could also be Estark or Mortamor?

Spoiler

Where in the game is it ever stated that Calasmos is Zoma?

29 minutes ago, Twinkie said:
  Hide contents

That’s a damn good question.

3 hours ago, Twinkie said:
  Hide contents

Probably referring to after Calasmos is beaten, where he says that his body may die, but his spirit will live on and that the darkness will never fade as without it, light cannot exist. This means that the return of an evil of Calasmos' caliber such as Zoma, could be considered a return of Calasmos, as they would both be wrought of the same darkness. This is not definite but based on the parallels we can draw from them make it likely. Obviously it is not the literal return of Calasmos, as Zoma doesn't share his memories or form, but it is the return of the dark entity I guess. But then do the Dragonlord and Malroth come from that same darkness? Probably not, as the Dragonlord is likely to have come from the Dragon Queen's Egg, and Malroth is a god, which seems like a seperate entity to Zoma and Calasmos, more similar to Rubiss. However, the darkness that Calasmos referred to is reflected in their actions.

Zoma, upon his defeat, will comment that someday another will come along who will bring darkness to the world just as he did. I never took it as implying that the DragonLord  and Hargon (and Malroth by extension) are taking the reigns as a reincarnation or something of that kind to Zoma, or that they control the exact same darkness as Zoma. They just happened to be the next big threat to the world of Alefgard that came along.

Calasmos saying something similar was probably just a shout out to that line of Zoma’s when he was defeated. After all, Calasmos has another really big shoutout to Zoma when fighting him as well, and DQ11 is full of shout outs and references to every other game in the series.

It’s almost a tradition for a big bad to say something upon their defeat. I still recall how Zeromus from Final Fantasy IV cries out that he will never die as long as darkness exists in the hearts of men. Zoma and Calasmos saying something about the darkness was probably meant as a final jab at the heroes, nothing more. Who knows if Zoma or Calasmos truly knew if someone else would come along and be as strong as them? For all we know they could have been saying utter bull-#$*! just to mess the with heroes.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I was under the impression that it was figurative. Not literal.

All Calamos was stating is that something evil and dark will always return and exist. Not that Calamos himself will return. It is fine to theorize on it, but I wouldn't take it as a fact. 

34 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

I was under the impression that it was figurative. Not literal.

All Calamos was stating is that something evil and dark will always return and exist. Not that Calamos himself will return. It is fine to theorize on it, but I wouldn't take it as a fact. 

Yep. That’s was I was trying to say in my post. Got a little more wordy then I meant to though. 🤪

Except it is furthermore backed up, in some capacity, by what is stated by an oracle in Kol in DQIII

" 神 はひかり。魔王はくらやみ。神と魔王は とおい昔から たたかいつづけてきた ふたつの ひかりの みなもと。もし ひかりの玉が あれば 魔王の まりょく をよわめることができる できょぞ。"

God is the light. The Demon King is the Darkness. God and and the Demon King have been fighting since from olden time. If you have the sphere of light, you will be able to weaken the Demon King’s magical power.

It's established Zoma is a dark force from olden times (The modern translation is more blatant about it, calling Zoma a wellspring of power).  

Also, Calasmos did say the darkness would always exist, which of course means the likes of Malroth/Dragon Lord would always have to appear, but here is what he says right after:

我が肉体滅びようとも、我が魂は永遠なり。

Which basically says his body is gone but his soul is transferred.

What I think this suggests while the pure evil does emanate from Calasmos and a figure like Malroth or Dragon Lord is inevitable, alongside that, Calasmos himself had his soul transferred to a new body that represented an even deeper avatar of evil itself, Malroth and Dragon Lord were just exploiting it. 

Edited by Shun 'Kanamee

Kinda seems like you’re reading into it a bit too much, but if that’s what you think and believe, that’s fine. After all my English major classes back in college I’ve DEFINITELY learned how text can be interpreted in many ways.