Daedlius

Dragon Quest chronological line

Hello to everyone, 

I'm new in this community, and maybe I've opened a topic already treated, but i want to see if I'm lucky. 

I'm here to ask if someone know the full chronological line of the Dragon Quest saga, I'm going crazy 'cause i find only something in spanish that explain the chronological position between Dragon Quest 1 and 6, but i want to know all about it. 

I hope you may help me in this research, thank you. 

• Like 1

EDIT: I am remiss! Welcome to the Den! Be sure to start an introduction thread so everyone else can say Hi properly.

5 hours ago, Daedlius said:

I hope you may help me in this research, thank you. 

No problem, but we should ask for some clarification: are you asking for a series timeline, as in the chronological order of each game?

If you are, you should know that that gets a little confusing, because many of these games take place in different worlds, and sometimes characters will jump between worlds.

This is a synopsis:

Timeline 1 (Erdrick Trilogy): Dragon Quest III --> Dragon Quest I --> Dragon Quest II --> Dragon Quest Monsters Caravan Heart (BRIDGE A)

Timeline 1 Alt: DQ I --> DQ Builders --> DQ Builders 2

Timeline 2: (Zenithian Trilogy): DQ IV --> Mystery Dungeon Series (BRIDGE B) ?-> DQ V ?-> DQ Monsters 1 (BRIDGE C) --> DQ VI ?-> DQ IV ?-> DQ V

This one is odd. Dragon Quest IV, Dragon Quest V, Dragon Quest VI apparently take place in the same universe, but if they actually share a planet it appears to undergo immense continental drift between installations and there are some mythological inconsistencies to resolve between them. DQ VI for example, is commonly thought to be a prequel to IV and V because a certain hatching egg is hinted/commonly thought to be the Zenith Dragon, but it also declares that Dragon Quest V is in the past and Dragon Quest IV is in the distant past, so there's some fan conjecture that it might actually be a cyclic universe.

Timeline 3: DQ Monsters Caravan Heart (BRIDGE A) --> DQ VII

Dragon Quest VII is mostly independent from all previous games but DQ Monsters Caravan Heart used a young Prince Keifer for the main character of a prequel-spinoff and sent him on an adventure in the world of Alefgard, long after DQ 2.

Timeline 4: Mystery Dungeon Series (BRIDGE B) --> DQ VIII

Like in Timeline 3, Dragon Quest VIII is mostly independent, but they attached another prequel-spinoff to it, this one featuring Yangus going to another world called the Pottal Land, where he also meets Torneko from IV. Torneko and Ragnar also show up as bonus characters in DQVIII, so they are capable of traveling there from their own.

Timeline 5: DQ IX

Timeline 6? DQ X

Someone more knowledgeable about this one will have to step in and explain, because I know there are callbacks to previous games (including IX) in DQ X, but I don't know how tightly tied together they are.

Timeline 7: Dragon Quest Monsters 1 (BRIDGE C) --> Dragon Quest Monsters 2

DQ Monsters 1 was technically the first prequel-spinoff, starring Terry of DQ VI going on adventures in the world of GreatTree and GreatLog, which were in a different world than his.

Timeline 8? Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker ?? DQ Monsters: Joker 2/Joker 2 Professional --> DQ Monsters: Joker 3/Joker 3 Professional

I know the Monsters: Joker subseries is supposed to take place in a different world than the first two monsters games, but I'm not sure how these games relate to each other chronologically. Joker 2 takes place in a different location than Joker 1, but it also has an inexplicably different version of a major character (Solitaire) from Joker 1 and there's no reference to whether the first game had already happened or was going to. The advertising for Joker 3 Professional indicates that it's a sequel of sorts to the first two games; maybe @Plattym3 would know.

The following has spoilers for DQXI:

Spoiler

Dragon Quest XI is technically a prequel to Dragon Quest III, so I believe it should be in Timeline 1. I haven't played it myself and am trying to avoid spoilers, but that bit got spoiled for me some time ago, alas.

And I think that covers most of it.

Edited by Brother Jaybird
  • Upvote 1

Joker 3 is an odd one. If you really want to know...

It takes place on a series of islands flying through space (if I remember correctly). Seems like humanity is leaving their planet going to another one. Didn't seem related to any other game whatsoever.

3 hours ago, Brother Jaybird said:

EDIT: I am remiss! Welcome to the Den! Be sure to start an introduction thread so everyone else can say Hi properly.

No problem, but we should ask for some clarification: are you asking for a series timeline, as in the chronological order of each game?

If you are, you should know that that gets a little confusing, because many of these games take place in different worlds, and sometimes characters will jump between worlds.

This is a synopsis:

Timeline 1 (Erdrick Trilogy): Dragon Quest III --> Dragon Quest I --> Dragon Quest II --> Dragon Quest Monsters Caravan Heart (BRIDGE A)

Timeline 1 Alt: DQ I --> DQ Builders --> DQ Builders 2

Timeline 2: (Zenithian Trilogy): DQ IV --> Mystery Dungeon Series (BRIDGE B) ?-> DQ V ?-> DQ Monsters 1 (BRIDGE C) --> DQ VI ?-> DQ IV ?-> DQ V

This one is odd. Dragon Quest IV, Dragon Quest V, Dragon Quest VI apparently take place in the same universe, but if they actually share a planet it appears to undergo immense continental drift between installations and there are some mythological inconsistencies to resolve between them. DQ VI for example, is commonly thought to be a prequel to IV and V because a certain hatching egg is hinted/commonly thought to be the Zenith Dragon, but it also declares that Dragon Quest V is in the past and Dragon Quest IV is in the distant past, so there's some fan conjecture that it might actually be a cyclic universe.

Timeline 3: DQ Monsters Caravan Heart (BRIDGE A) --> DQ VII

Dragon Quest VII is mostly independent from all previous games but DQ Monsters Caravan Heart used a young Prince Keifer for the main character of a prequel-spinoff and sent him on an adventure in the world of Alefgard, long after Timeline 2.

Timeline 4: Mystery Dungeon Series (BRIDGE B) --> DQ VIII

Like in Timeline 3, Dragon Quest VIII is mostly independent, but they attached another prequel-spinoff to it, this one featuring Yangus going to another world called the Pottal Land, where he also meets Torneko from IV. Torneko and Ragnar also show up as bonus characters in DQVIII, so they are capable of traveling there from their own.

Timeline 5: DQ IX

Timeline 6? DQ X

Someone more knowledgeable about this one will have to step in and explain, because I know there are callbacks to previous games (including IX) in DQ X, but I don't know how tightly tied together they are.

Timeline 7: Dragon Quest Monsters 1 (BRIDGE C) --> Dragon Quest Monsters 2

DQ Monsters 1 was technically the first prequel-spinoff, starring Terry of DQ VI going on adventures in the world of GreatTree and GreatLog, which were in a different world than his.

Timeline 8? Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker ?? DQ Monsters: Joker 2/Joker 2 Professional --> DQ Monsters: Joker 3/Joker 3 Professional

I know the Monsters: Joker subseries is supposed to take place in a different world than the first two monsters games, but I'm not sure how these games relate to each other chronologically. Joker 2 takes place in a different location than Joker 1, but it also has an inexplicably different version of a major character (Solitaire) from Joker 1 and there's no reference to whether the first game had already happened or was going to. The advertising for Joker 3 Professional indicates that it's a sequel of sorts to the first two games; maybe @Plattym3 would know.

The following has spoilers for DQXI:

Hide contents

Dragon Quest XI is technically a prequel to Dragon Quest III, so I believe it should be in Timeline 1. I haven't played it myself and am trying to avoid spoilers, but that bit got spoiled for me some time ago, alas.

And I think that covers most of it.

Thank you for your complete answer, it was exactly what i was asking for. 

Spoiler

Dragon Quest XI is a prequel of Dragon Quest III, that's really interesting. 

So there is no link between Dragon Quest VIII and Dragon Quest XI? 

Edited by Daedlius

You're welcome. I'm glad you got what you were looking for, but please be mindful of spoilers for others outside of dedicated DQXI threads. If you're using the forum directly, you can add a spoiler section by clicking on the black eyeball on your text editor's menu.

I couldn't answer anything about XI in depth, as I haven't played it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Brother Jaybird said:

You're welcome. I'm glad you got what you were looking for, but please be mindful of spoilers for others outside of dedicated DQXI threads. If you're using the forum directly, you can add a spoiler section by clicking on the black eyeball on your text editor's menu.

I couldn't answer anything about XI in depth, as I haven't played it.

Ok, i resolved it. 

I hope someone who will be able to give me more info about the final question. 

By te way, thank you very much for the perfect answer, i really appreciated it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Daedlius said:

So there is no link between Dragon Quest VIII and Dragon Quest XI?

If there was a link between the two I didn't catch it

Spoiler

Only thing I could think of could be the books on the bookshelf in the final scene, since there are 11 books on the shelf she puts the book back on.

The bookshelf is about 14:30 into the video here if you want to look - DQ11 Ending Part 2

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 11:24 PM, Daedlius said:

By te way, thank you very much for the perfect answer, i really appreciated it. 

You're welcome, but allow me to correct some inaccuracies that I've discovered on research.

DQX lore heavily implies the game to be a sequel to IX set thousands upon thousands of years in the future (which is strange, because the game also has its own completely unique creation mythos that has nothing to do with DQIX) -- the first to defeat the King of Calamity in history was known as the Guardian of Starry Skies (i.e. the protagonist of DQIX).

And DQVI doesn't imply DQ IV and DQ V to be in the past in the manner I described -- I checked and the game deliberately indicates those games are respectively in the future and the far future, so it is essentially a confirmed prequel, but it still makes oblique reference to those games having already happened (e.g. a book directly referencing the choice of brides from DQV).

• Like 1