Sign in to follow this  
griz

30 years old and I still think about this game constatnly

So I came across this website. I guess other people like me exists? 

I'm a family man, I have a career, Basically your average busy married 30 year old with kids... but there is something about me I don't really discuss much with people. I play dragon quest, like a lot of it. I have my whole life. And never really talked about it with other people until now. 

Once upon a time I was a 9 year old kid who randomly chose Dragon Quest Monsters for GBC from a shelf at EBX without really knowing much about it. It started a now 20 year journey of me and the dragon quest franchise. I have gone through many phases in life. I became a "normie" mid 2000s teenager playing Halo and Madden and heavily involved in sports, but I kept playing Dragon quest and other JRPGs when I was home alone at night. and I have never stopped. Its funny DQM got me into this, because previously I had pokemon and FF7 but never really picked up the JRPG bug until DQM. But no matter what stage in life I have been at I have never stopped my ritual of JRPG before bed. Its like I treat them as books. 

But yea here I am, your average man walking around in a shirt and tie every day in business meetings. Holding it inside me that I have played most Dragon quest games. You know I just never felt the urge to ask the people next to me watching football at a bar if they play Dragon Quest, like nintendo, or anything like that. Its refreshing that I am not alone, glad I found this site.

• Like 4

You're in good company. I myself am a 30+ year old professional who grew up playing the original games. A good portion of my life has been very dictated by this franchise. It was my holy obsession all throughout elementary, middle, and high school (so basically the dark ages prior to Dragon Quest 8 ) where rarely anyone even heard of Dragon Warrior. I get more stoked about buying and playing a day 1 DQ game than I do getting a day 1 music album, or seeing release day movies. All gaming systems I bought were because I knew a DQ game would be released on it. Now I can afford buying ones without them, but that basically is just an Xbox at this point haha. 

Bottom line, welcome! And you're in the right place!

Welcome to the club, officially. DQ games are the only jrpgs I still play. DQM is absolutely fantastic. In the GBC days I never understood how the Pokemon games got as much hype and recognition as they did and DQM 1 and 2 were both basically ignored.

3 hours ago, GrandAlchemist said:

Welcome to the club, officially. DQ games are the only jrpgs I still play. DQM is absolutely fantastic. In the GBC days I never understood how the Pokemon games got as much hype and recognition as they did and DQM 1 and 2 were both basically ignored.

I mean to be fair on the US side, Pokémon was the first game to really be known for monster catching and training/grinding and some have argued that Enix/Square Enix in Japan never really had the faith to push the DQ brand in the US (Nintendo apparently being the reason we even got say 7 and 8's US remakes).

Welcome to the Den, I am a 40+ year old and similar story. I started the site as there were only a handful back in the late '90s and no one I knew played Dragon Warrior. My kids have played quite a few of the games, but not all of them. Hopefully I can get one of them to take over the site when I am tool old ;)

I mainly buy Nintendo systems but and will buy the outlier systems for Dragon Quest games. And I mainly have time to play Dragon Quest as of late, then squeeze in other games between DQ games :)

Edited by Woodus
  • Like 1

I would say this:

1) Children worry about being adults, and thus never allow themselves or others to enjoy what they want to enjoy.  They take offense if someone else finds childish glee in some activity, despite that they themselves take such glee in something, and worry about how others perceive them doing what they like in their free time.  They're obsessed with being seen as adults, because they are not actually adults.

2) Adults don't care how others see them in the act of doing something they enjoy.  They already handle their affairs, so whatever they prefer to partake in, in their free time, so long as it doesn't harm anyone else directly or by intention (I mean if you like driving nice cars, there's the chance of an accident at some point, not the guarantee, and the results can be horrific, but it is in and of itself, not dangerous).  As a result they gleefully indulge in that childish delight and allow that feeling of fulfillment in taking part in the act of the doing or seeing of the thing without the fear or worry of how others perceive them.  They understand that everyone is at heart a child.

It's much the same as love and play with your kids, cousins, showing off your favourite new toy (which for most "adult" men and women is a car, though plenty of adult men and women love cars).  When you're in the moment, you're no different at 20, 30, 38+ (watch old people when they're actually unconcerned and fully enjoying things, they're children again), than you are at 1, 3, 5, 7, 10...well, prior to 11+ where kids really want to be seen and treated as an adult and society begrudges them as such and most parents ignore this, training their kids to remain forever children, and is almost the ONLY reason for mindset #1 to continue onward into what "should" be adulthood, often leading to manbabies, and this includes men who are responsible but because it's what is expected of them, not because they themselves just do it because it should be done.  The mindset just isn't trained since the Baby Boomer generation, thanks to the book "Adolescence," which is the creation of a continual series of adult generations incapable of enjoying adulthood or finding their own path they themselves define for themselves, but allow others, or societal expectations to pinpoint what they should, like some invisible parental figure over their shoulder watching their every move instead of just taking up the mantle because they've comfortable in their own skin.

=====

So my point is...welcome and enjoy what you enjoy.  You're clearly a responsible person, so why not let that part of yourself that wants to have fun, actually enjoy what it likes.

There are adults who still collect stamps, buttons, cards, things they began at the tender age or 3.  So what decides what the age range is of certain play, if it's not twisted or weird (like an old man pretending to be a little girl, which implies something is actually wrong spiritually or mentally, or they're pedo's who want easy access, which is probably 99.9% of the time the reality for most of these men, and indulging in certain societal insanities of being a bit too accepting and indulging of actual crazy behaviour)?

You're not doing harm by loving playing games.  You're not shirking your kids or your wife.  You're not ignoring your friends.  So welcome and enjoy to your hearts content.

BTW, I'm 38.

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Antiyonder said:

I mean to be fair on the US side, Pokémon was the first game to really be known for monster catching and training/grinding and some have argued that Enix/Square Enix in Japan never really had the faith to push the DQ brand in the US (Nintendo apparently being the reason we even got say 7 and 8's US remakes).

Pokémon was the first monster catching game I played, but the minute I started DWM, that was it. I thought it was superior in every way. I thought for sure, "This is going to be the next big thing!" I didn't understand marketing at the time, nor the power of incumbency. I showed that game to anyone that would listen. Nobody. Gave. A. #$*!. Not a single one of my friends. None of my sister's friends. Nobody. That was pretty irritating.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 12:41 PM, griz said:

I play dragon quest, like a lot of it. I have my whole life. And never really talked about it with other people until now.

I was in a video game development club a few years ago, and during our customary round of introductions at the beginning of the year, I mentioned my favorite series was dragon quest. I got a round of blank stares and one nod of appreciation.

DQ never got the early 90s ascendancy it should have, mostly because the makers dropped the ball on localizing IV, which showed up in the west too late to make a big splash, which then discouraged them from doing anything with it in the west for years. It's a frequent frustration of ours.

• Like 2

Welcome! I'm 18 years old, probably one of the younger members of the site. I've tried my best to experience hundreds on hundreds of games I've missed out on through emulation so I feel I could hold a conversation with anyone reminiscing about the "good old days" of gaming! :P

I started with Dragon Quest VIII when I was 11 but never got to finish it because I lost my PlayStation 2 and the game in a house-fire when I was 12. I bought Dragon Quest IX at launch and officially caught the bug. Bought the remake of Dragon Quest VIII on the 3DS at launch and if I could've bought it earlier than that I would have -- suffice it to say, getting the childhood game I never got to finish back was emotional for me. Got the VII remake, and then played/replayed every localized Dragon Quest in preparation for Dragon Quest XI.

You're with good people, man! Welcome again to the den!

• Like 3

I'm 46 and will be married for 19 years as of May. I played the original DQ in the late 80s not long after it came out. It and Ultima IV were two of the first RPG games I've played.

I'm as home with an RPG game as I am a sports game as a I am with a football or at my backyard firing range with my firearms. 

I can wear either camouflage or a suit depending on the circumstances.

People have varying interests and I don't judge a book by its cover.

• Like 1