Sign in to follow this  
Glaceon Mage

Opinions on that DQXI Character Week 3 - Hendrick, Gemma, and Jasper

Just one more thread after this one, probably.

Anyway, uh, these guys.  I can't think of much to snark about them without spoiling something.  So uh, thoughts on them?

For me:

Hendrick

Spoiler

I got accidentally spoiled on his recruitment, oops.  I probably would have been surprised if I wasn't spoiled.  But then again, a family member of mine called it before it happened and he wasn't spoiled, so maybe I wouldn't have been surprised.

I at least appreciated his part in Act 2 of learning to get over what he'd been told for 16 years and blaming himself for the disaster at the middle of the main campaign.  He's another character who suffers from the existence of the plot reset though, sadly, since half of that gets taken away. 

Jasper

Spoiler

Didn't feel remotely sorry for him, tbh.  He's upset about his position in Heliodor relative to Hendrick when he's still literally one of the king's right hand men?  Second place isn't that bad, and the fact he's famed as a strategist when Hendrick isn't shows people are aware of things he's better at than Hendrick. 

Gemma

Spoiler

She was basically just a generic love interest character and not much else to me... Maybe I'd like her more if she joined the party but considering how underused Jade was that probably wouldn't help much.  Meh.

Hendrik: My favourite character in the game. I love his personality and he's just a really cool character in my opinion. In Act 1 he is presented as a generic villain but it is clear that his actions are a result of his loyalty to Carnelian. We see his depth of character in Act 2 and understand the guilt he feels. It is also interesting and appropriate to see him take on the hero role in the beginning of Act 2. Despite his stoic personality, sometimes he breaks out of his knightly character and it's hilarious. His interactions with Sylvando are also quite interesting as he is a direct contrast to his personality. Hendrik is everything a knight is expected to be while Sylvando chooses to make people smile, but to abide by the same principles. In battle, he is also amazing as he can soak up many hits and dish out loads of damage. On top of that, his abilities reflect his personality (cough, cough, Jade).

Jasper: I liked Jasper as a villain. His backstory with Hendrik is pretty well developed and I understand his struggle. He would always feel eclipsed by Hendrik and although he becomes a famed strategist and tactician, he cannot help but feel like Hendrik is moving on without him and he is left to rot. This is something Mordegon then capitalises on causing his eventual turn to darkness. His intentions and reasoning is better explained in the bonus scene in DQXIS. He also somewhat feels regret at the end of Act 2 after being defeated and talking to Hendrik, making me feel some remorse for him.

Gemma: Very bland love interest, so bland that I have nothing else to say about her. In battle, she can either scream 'Eek, monsters!', causing her to miss her own turn or use items to heal your HP and MP when it gets low. In other words, I would choose to fight alongside Sandy in a heartbeat.

Edited by Hendrik of Heliodor
Clarity

2 hours ago, Hendrik of Heliodor said:

Hendrik: My favourite character in the game. I love his personality and he's just a really cool character in my opinion. In Act 1 he is presented as a generic villain but it is clear that his actions are a result of his loyalty to Carnelian. We see his depth of character in Act 2 and understand the guilt he feels. It is also interesting and appropriate to see him take on the hero role in the beginning of Act 2. Despite his stoic personality, sometimes he breaks out of his knightly character and it's hilarious. His interactions with Sylvando are also quite interesting as he is a direct contrast to his personality. Hendrik is everything a knight is expected to be while Sylvando chooses to make people smile, but to abide by the same principles. In battle, he is also amazing as he can soak up many hits and dish out loads of damage. On top of that, his abilities reflect his personality (cough, cough, Jade).

Good write up on Hendrik.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

Hendrik: My favourite character in the game. I love his personality and he's just a really cool character in my opinion.

I'm going to call B.S. on that. You're totally pulling our leg, right?
  • Like 1

Been playing DQXI, I am mostly just grinding for Drustan's Trials, forgot to post my progress at all

Hendrik: One of my mains, Blind Man's Biff was a favorite of mine's in DQIX and it returning he is awesome. I love his design, especially with the Heliodoran armor on (I didn't like the tunic he usually had), found him a great tank and just probably my favorite character of XI in general. I was somewhat spoiled he would be in my team back in 2017, but I mostly avoid spoilers and I found his development great regardless.

Jasper: Decent villain, deserved to die, though I find it funny how he was killed 3 times

Gemma: Serena's a better ship. And also a poorman's Bianca

Hendrick - I initially despised him joining the team. How dare he #$*! with me for 40 hours and now want to protect me. I did just fine! Well, except for the whole losing and having a party death and the destruction of a good part of the world bit. But once he got some cool armor, he'd grown on me. Spent a good 80% of the rest of the game as my #2 character right next to my hero in battle. Really did end up enjoying him a ton for his loyalty, some humor (more laughing AT him), and how damn good he was in battle (not a ton of damage, but steady and could be a secondary healer).

Jasper - didn't really resonate with me. I guess he was supposed to be a big bad, but I found him annoying. Whiney. Sure, he was deluded, but he seemed like an ass anyway.

Gemma - she was in the game? Meh. NPC. Never Particularly Care about her.