Sign in to follow this  
Twinkie

Dragon Quest Of The Stars

Wait, do you have to pay a subscription for this? I'll pay for DQX but I'm not subscribing to a f**king mobile game.

Also, the description says the Dragon Quest series is "finally" coming to mobile. It's like they forgot they ported the actual series to mobile.

From the screenshots, I'm not impressed, it looks like a generic lame mobile game with a DQ paintjob. I know we used to joke about slapping a DQ label on s**t and calling it the best thing since sliced bread - but that's all it was - a joke. Somebody play this when it comes out and tell me if it's actually any good?

7 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Wait, do you have to pay a subscription for this? I'll pay for DQX but I'm not subscribing to a f**king mobile game.

Also, the description says the Dragon Quest series is "finally" coming to mobile. It's like they forgot they ported the actual series to mobile.

From the screenshots, I'm not impressed, it looks like a generic lame mobile game with a DQ paintjob. I know we used to joke about slapping a DQ label on s**t and calling it the best thing since sliced bread - but that's all it was - a joke. Somebody play this when it comes out and tell me if it's actually any good?

It is free to play. No subscription.

I don't know much on the game to really comment on it. But from what I have read, a lot of players are not really impressed by it. Honestly, I would rather have Dragon Quest Walk get translated.

Edited by Twinkie

I would play the hell out of DQ Walk. Just like everyone else I know played the hell out of Pokemon Go.

Yup, that’s the most generic Japanese F2P mobile game you’ve ever seen. Having DQ imagery in doesn’t make anything different. In fact, that’s how most of these same-y mobile games get so big, literally just the name recognition.

Edited by eal
  • Like 1

I for one kinda liked this one. It has a DQIX vibe, a nice customizable party, a large world and for once allow the player to go to outer space. 

The list of event in the JP version is also rather nice. Basically every DQ games were events at some point, and almost every manga too. Emblem of Roto, Daï's Great Adventure, etc etc.

Really, I liked playing this one, cause it felt to me like an upgraded DQIX. And I don't even like DQIX ! :D

• Like 1

So what is the story of the game?

I for one kinda liked this one. It has a DQIX vibe, a nice customizable party, a large world and for once allow the player to go to outer space. 
The list of event in the JP version is also rather nice. Basically every DQ games were events at some point, and almost every manga too. Emblem of Roto, Daï's Great Adventure, etc etc.
Really, I liked playing this one, cause it felt to me like an upgraded DQIX. And I don't even like DQIX !
For twice.

In DQX you go to the moon.
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Xiggy said:

It has a DQIX vibe

Oh, guess I need to avoid this game then.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Oh, guess I need to avoid this game then.

But only because of the visual and customisation! There are actual interesting characters that really have a story, unlike IX :D

6 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

In DQX you go to the moon.

Oh yeah, that's right. It was on the 4. something, when you go to the future because of the mech that's causing havoc, right? Just before going to see Anlucia's ancestors.

Thanks for the X spoilers, guys.

I'm only in V2 postgame because I haven't been able to afford to play anywhere near as much as I'd like. If only Kids' Time was at reasonable hours for America...

On the bright side I got a new job and they actively encourage you to bring your Switch (or a book) to work as it's just phone work. Next month,  once I get paid, I should be able to play X all day long. I just need to renew my subscription and switch back to an unlimited data plan on my phone.

• Like 1

I'm only in V2 postgame because I haven't been able to afford to play anywhere near as much as I'd like. If only Kids' Time was at reasonable hours for America...

On the bright side I got a new job and they actively encourage you to bring your Switch (or a book) to work as it's just phone work. Next month,  once I get paid, I should be able to play X all day long. I just need to renew my subscription and switch back to an unlimited data plan on my phone.
The moon bit is a v1 side quest. And I didn't spoil any of the story info. V1 been out for like 7 years now.

I'll give it a try but don't see myself sticking around for too long. Never been into live service mobile games, or that kind of game to begin with.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Xiggy said:

But only because of the visual and customisation! There are actual interesting characters that really have a story, unlike IX

Too late, you already compared it to IX, I can never play DQ Of the Stars now. It’s forever been tainted.

• Like 1

I know we used to joke about slapping a DQ label on s**t and calling it the best thing since sliced bread - but that's all it was - a joke.

That was supposed to be a joke?
So what is the story of the game?
There's a great evil in the world. Monsters have been appearing/becoming stronger due to a Demon King fallen from the stars. You are the chosen hero. Build a party of Heroes to travel to the Dark World and defeat the Demon King.

The only upside to this game is that, if memory serves, it has rarely-used monsters (or atleast bosses), and gives them nice animations. Otherwise, meh.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Xiggy said:

But only because of the visual and customisation! There are actual interesting characters that really have a story, unlike IX :D

3mvnuk.jpg

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, JaybirdC said:

3mvnuk.jpg

Like that Sandy chick

5 hours ago, AustNerevar said:
10 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

The moon bit is a v1 side quest. And I didn't spoil any of the story info. V1 been out for like 7 years now.

Why don't I remember this?

Also I thought I read that it was V4 content.

All y’all better not be bad mouthing Stella. She’s 87.46% of the reason to play Dragon Quest IX.

• Like 2

Why don't I remember this?

Also I thought I read that it was V4 content.
I don't know what that other guy's on about, but the moon quest I was referring to was Kandar's stuff in the Orphair side story.

All y’all better not be bad mouthing Stella. She’s 87.46% of the reason to play Dragon Quest IX.
Agreed.

Different definitions of interesting at play. I think Stella's entertaining enough, but there's not much actually going on there once you get past "Navi with snark". The game's refusal to commit to a backstory doesn't help.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JaybirdC said:

Different definitions of interesting at play. I think Stella's entertaining enough, but there's not much actually going on there once you get past "Navi with snark". The game's refusal to commit to a backstory doesn't help.

You are very Dwight like, you know. 🤪

She’s a great character by Dragon Quest standards, especially pre-XI. Controversial opinion, I think a lot of Dragon Quest fans overestimate the quality of some of the characters from a characterization level in these games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

You are very Dwight like, you know. 🤪

3mwxmh.jpg

• Upvote 1