Sign in to follow this  
Glaceon Mage

Opinions on that DQXI Character Week 2 - Sylvando, Rab, Jade

I was gonna make this thread yesterday but got thoroughly distracted by a thing.  RIP.  I decided to make these weekly instead of daily since there's less groups and attention was slow on the last one.  That might have been because I forgot to directly say that these are about people giving opinions last week since I assumed everyone just remembered that, oh well. 

So, Apparently the most popular character in this game, cool grandpa, and why is this girl here again?  What's everyone's opinions on them?

For me:

Sylvando

Spoiler

He was pretty cool.  I like how it's clear that he's more than just a circus performer from the word go.  The postgame story again makes me upset since his dad no longer has a goofy troope of performers to look after, and their entire reconciliation felt much more genuine in act 2.

Rab

Spoiler

I liked Rab.  He's a cool old guy who does what he needs to when he needs to do it.  I actually picked him to live in the protag's house since I felt he deserved it.  Don't have much elaborate to say

Jade

Spoiler

What was even her purpose, other than boobs?  Like, the game really didn't do much with her, she's just kinda there after her joining arc.  Which is weird since she's a princess, has past connections with multiple party members, a major antagonist, and a few important NPCs.

Sylvando: Mechanically, a great character. Story? Not bad. Design and personality... Not my cup of tea.

Rab: Mechanically, another great character. He's almost a sage with his mix of spells and abilities, but his physical prowess is pretty good, too! Story? I like it. Design? Nothing special, but not bad. Personality? I am a fan of Rab.

Jade: Mechanically, a damned good fighter. She was a frequent member of my party until the endgame where Erik surpassed her. Story? ... There's a lot more they could have done. Design? Yes! Hubbahubbahubba. She's the most attractive Toriyama design I've seen. Personality? Uh... I can't really remember much in the way of personality.

Sylvando - the best in the game. Useful in battle as a secondary attacker & healer and a primary buffer. The best story arc in the game by a long shot! And loved his design.

Rab - had some funny moments and some touching ones, but for me that's about it. He was my least used party member by a LONG shot, and it wasn't even close. I rarely use offensive magic and I made him my secondary offensive magician, which made him almost never seen. Design was fine, but he could have been like Trode for all I cared: along for the ride, but not in battles.

Jade - this is a weird one. Design was fine and I liked her story and how she was important to the hero, but honestly that's about it. She got as much development as a good NPC and that's about it. She was good in battle, and I like physical attackers, but she was my least used one. I mainly stuck with Hero & Erik and my main 2 physical attackers in Act 1 and switched Erik and Hendrick a lot afterwards. She'd come in if someone died or I wanted to go 3 strong with a healer. So, while good, I just never had her around much.

Sylvando: An excellent character with excellent design, there is never a dull moment with him and his development over the story is fantastic. In battle. he works in pretty much every party and has not only good all around ability but also entertaining moves, suitably. His optimistic attitude and flamboyant personality is fun all throughout the game and not once becomes obnoxious. Also his interactions with 8 are fun to watch and make sense as they both learn from each other.

Rab: Good design and story. He is both funny and fits in the main story very well, and he also has quite emotional scenes (especially in DQXIS). In battle, he is fun to use and can fit most roles, I used him as my main healer instead of Serena. I also seeing his relationship with the Luminary develop and the added scene with them in DQXIS is an excellent addition.

Spoiler

He is the most determined to take down Mordegon and the relief he feels afterwards is well deserved after all of the build-up.

Jade: Cool design, interesting backstory, but that's about it. This character could've been much better but they just capitalised on the design instead. In battle, she is great offensively, but I find the Sex Appeal skills obnoxious as she is clearly not a character who would use those abilities, similar to Jessica in DQVIII where the fan service also takes from the character in my opinion. I would have preferred more development and no Sex Appeal skills, they just don't make sense for this character.

Sylvando - Loved him. So much personality and so different from most video game characters. He had such a flamboyant flair but still managed to be a total badass. He was the perfect support character. 

Rab - I actually really liked his personality but I didn't use him much in battle. 

Jade - Meh. She's hot but that's about it. Her character has been overdone in JRPG games. 

SYLVANDO: He's probably the most distinctive main character in the game, in terms of JRPG characters that haven't really been done before. He works well as a comic relief character, with some major props to his voice actor who makes every line (sometimes literally) sing. But he also has a bit of intrigue about him from the get-go, as someone who understands more about the situation than he initially lets on. His chivalrous upbringing is just the kind of character detail that really helps define him and make him work.

Spoiler

Sylvando's quest to make the world smile is endearing even when his antics border on the ridiculous. I enjoyed his Act 2 Puerto Valor storyline and his interactions with Hendrik, as well as the little bond between him and sassy Veronica. One of the better characters for sure.

RAB: Another character greatly enhanced by stellar voice acting. Rab is endearing almost immediately due to both his connection with the Luminary and how earnestly the story portrays his sense of loss and grief. The bunny girl magazine is a fun little gag that gives him some personality, and thankfully they don't go to that well so much that it flattens Rab's character and just makes him into the standard old perv. It's cheeky without being intrusive.

Spoiler

In a game full of heartbreaking moments, none hit me harder than Rab's side-mission in the Switch version. I had to choke back tears a bit during Act 2 Arboria and Act 2 Dundrasil, but I was close to full-on bawling upon seeing Rab's version of a future that never came. The fact that he turns away from this paradise to stick to his mission solidified him as one of my absolute favorite characters in the game (along with Eight). The surreal joke about him losing (and regaining) all that weight is a fun topper.

JADE: For a brief time, Jade was my favorite character. Her introduction during the Dundrasil sequence is amazing, probably the best of any cast member in this game. I tend to like these no-nonsense femme fatales, but a lot of the time they get obnoxious with being overly in-your-face about how they're "as strong as any man" or whatever. Jade doesn't cross over into cockiness--in fact, she's just the opposite, a character that's as motherly and protective of the Luminary as one can be. Powerful yet gentle, a dichotomy that really adds to her as a character. Jade's guilt during this sequence is palpable, and once she jumps after the Luminary and promises not to let go, I was pretty much smitten.

Spoiler

Unfortunately, Jade suffers from an odd problem--her development basically stops after that point. Her side quest and Act 2 story don't really have much to do with her as a character; it's mostly her fighting the Monster of the Week and being brainwashed for much of it. We get a drip-feed of some solid growth when she meets with Hendrik and Carnelian, but I really would've liked to see more with both those characters. The Booga story should've roped Hendrik in more somehow so that there could be more interaction between him and Jade. One more Rab conversation somewhere couldn't have hurt either; they roamed the world together for something like a decade and we barely know anything about it!