Sign in to follow this  
Erdrick The Hero

Planting Seeds for the Future... In the Future

So, I forgot to do the quest "Planting Seeds for the Future" before the end of Act I. Now I'm in Act III, and I've been fighting Malicious Sprite Bulbs at the summit of the First Forest for over an hour, and still no Wight Bulbs have appeared. Do the Malicious variant of the Sprite Bulbs not spawn Wight Bulbs? It'd be a shame if I had to go all the way back to Act I to do the quest.

(2D mode)

19 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:
So, I forgot to do the quest "Planting Seeds for the Future" before the end of Act I. Now I'm in Act III, and I've been fighting Malicious Sprite Bulbs at the summit of the First Forest for over an hour, and still no Wight Bulbs have appeared. Do the Malicious variant of the Sprite Bulbs not spawn Wight Bulbs? It'd be a shame if I had to go all the way back to Act I to do the quest.    

(2D mode)

Malicious Sprite Bulbs do spawn Wight Bulbs. You probably just have bad luck with the RNG. 

There are accessories that increase your chance to encounter rarefied monsters, like the Wing of Serendipity.

Edited by Dakhil

16 minutes ago, Dakhil said:

Malicious Sprite Bulbs do spawn Wight Bulbs. You probably just have bad luck with the RNG. 

There are accessories that increase your chance to encounter rarefied monsters, like the Wing of Serendipity.

I just came back to say I got one to spawn lol.

Don't you just love RNG?

5 hours ago, Dakhil said:
5 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Don't you just love RNG?

I would love some RNG right now. I'm trying to do the difficult Platinum cup in Gallopolis now, and it is royally pissing me off. RNG would mean the CPU eventually screws up, but no, the CPU actions are predetermined and it straight up cheats. CPU racers have basically unlimited stamina and can run faster than the player's top speed. I have been doing this one race over and over again for over TWO HOURS. I'm bored and angry and I just want to mark it off my to-do list. Worst thing in any Dragon Quest game ever. I would rather do a low level run through NES Cave to Rhone (never actually got there in the NES version, but I've seen how horrible it can be), at least the gameplay loop is more interesting.

Horse racing is an awful minigame. A blemish on what would otherwise be one of my favorite games of all time. I considered it on the same tier as - possibly better than - DQ7 and DQ10 until tonight. Now I'm just angry.

The worst part is that there is potential in the concept, but the minigame was implemented in the laziest way possible.

9 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

I would love some RNG right now. I'm trying to do the difficult Platinum cup in Gallopolis now, and it is royally pissing me off. RNG would mean the CPU eventually screws up, but no, the CPU actions are predetermined and it straight up cheats. CPU racers have basically unlimited stamina and can run faster than the player's top speed. I have been doing this one race over and over again for over TWO HOURS. I'm bored and angry and I just want to mark it off my to-do list. Worst thing in any Dragon Quest game ever. I would rather do a low level run through NES Cave to Rhone (never actually got there in the NES version, but I've seen how horrible it can be), at least the gameplay loop is more interesting.

Horse racing is an awful minigame. A blemish on what would otherwise be one of my favorite games of all time. I considered it on the same tier as - possibly better than - DQ7 and DQ10 until tonight. Now I'm just angry.

The worst part is that there is potential in the concept, but the minigame was implemented in the laziest way possible.

I hate to say. It is going to get harder then that.

Just gotta keep practicing on it.

6 hours ago, Twinkie said:

I hate to say. It is going to get harder then that.

Just gotta keep practicing on it.

Yeah, I read there's another cup that shows up later. Not looking forward to it.

Me: Can I have Brodysseus appear alongside Jerkules?

RNG:

no_no_no.jpg?1553965364

I'm still stuck on this garbage race. Honestly angry enough about it I might just quit the game altogether and never finish it. There's no point in continuing if I can't complete everything. I've put too much goddamn time into this game to call it done without 100%ing everything - I'd rather just drop it and leave it unfinished and not waste anymore time on it.

Yuji Horii, what were you thinking?

If you think the Platinum Cup is the hard one, wait until you can access the Black Cup. Now THAT is the real kicker.

Personally I loved the horse racing mini game and wish there were more places to race besides Gallopolis. The Black Cup was evil, but it was fun figuring out the best way to beat each difficulty and what the best actions are on the course.

If you think the Platinum Cup is the hard one, wait until you can access the Black Cup. Now THAT is the real kicker.
Personally I loved the horse racing mini game and wish there were more places to race besides Gallopolis. The Black Cup was evil, but it was fun figuring out the best way to beat each difficulty and what the best actions are on the course.
The black one is the final one?
I figured as much. Lots of people online saying stuff like once you go black you don't go back. Figured there were no more rewards or races after that.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

The black one is the final one?
I figured as much. Lots of people online saying stuff like once you go black you don't go back. Figured there were no more rewards or races after that.

It’s true. You just can’t go back.

But seriously, the Black Cup is the last one. Minor spoiler for those who haven’t finished the game, but you earn the ability to race in it by completing one of the challenges in the post game dungeons you unlock. Both races are ones you need to pay attention to what the other racers do and, especially in the harder version of the race, do the opposite of what you think you should do at some portions. You’d be surprised how well you can do by going for the latter.

@Erdrick The Hero are you still having issues?

Are you getting the speed boost at the start of the race?  If not, hit the run button the moment the "1" disappears.  Once you get used to that timing, it makes things much easier.  After that it's knowing the pattern, as you've no doubt figured out.  Once you get that timing down, and the race timing down, winning is very easy to repeat over and over again.

If you're playing on the Switch, you can make life MUCH easier by buying the Golden Reigns from the NPC right next to the guy in the booth.  I believe it's available in Act 2.  I don't recall him in Act 1.

Edited by ignasia

Thank you!

This is the first time I've heard of this item. I just went and bought them and now the race might be a little too easy.

To be clear, it'd be neat to see horse racing become a new staple of the series, but the way opponent racers are implemented here is awful and needs to be reworked should the races make another appearance.

I don't mind difficulty, I mind cheaply inflated difficulty.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ignasia said:

@Erdrick The Hero are you still having issues?

Are you getting the speed boost at the start of the race?  If not, hit the run button the moment the "1" disappears.  Once you get used to that timing, it makes things much easier.  After that it's knowing the pattern, as you've no doubt figured out.  Once you get that timing down, and the race timing down, winning is very easy to repeat over and over again.

If you're playing on the Switch, you can make life MUCH easier by buying the Golden Reigns from the NPC right next to the guy in the booth.  I believe it's available in Act 2.  I don't recall him in Act 1.

It can be bought in Act 1 for 10,000 gold. I know because with my no shopping Draconian setting the guy got mad at me for telling him yes I would buy them but then ultimately couldn’t.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Thank you!

This is the first time I've heard of this item. I just went and bought them and now the race might be a little too easy.

To be clear, it'd be neat to see horse racing become a new staple of the series, but the way opponent racers are implemented here is awful and needs to be reworked should the races make another appearance.

I don't mind difficulty, I mind cheaply inflated difficulty.

It should be random, rather than fixed races, so it's different each time.  I think it would be best if they took a page out of FF7, and borrowed from the Chocobo Racing, and the statistics.  Include Horse breeding, and even put in a whole quest system around it. 

Maybe even allow monsters to be ridden if that's possible, like a new form of monster team functionality, where we have the monster recruit system, the monster arena, and some of them can be ridden.  Or the monsters are in the party and can enter the arena, like in 6, and can be ridden if in the party by pressing a button when nearby, like in DQB2.  I really love that functionality.  You can get to the top of any mountain with a Great Sabrecat and double jump, then pound it into oblivion with a Golem.

So you'd have specific racing stats that can be enhanced by feeding and breeding methods.  In the case of monsters, by levels and a grid system similar to 11's, that determines the growth pattern and potential skills and spells that are unlocked, including bonuses.  Allowing focus on both racing functionality, or battle ability.  Maybe even tack in speech training for some interesting party chat.

32 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It can be bought in Act 1 for 10,000 gold. I know because with my no shopping Draconian setting the guy got mad at me for telling him yes I would buy them but then ultimately couldn’t.

Ah cool, good to know.  After my PS4 experience though, it's such second nature now, I didn't bother with attempting.  Though yeah, it would be impossible in my 8x run.

Edited by ignasia

Thank you!
This is the first time I've heard of this item.

3e7ad2ce184dfb09bf9e9ee74f42ab54.jpg