Sign in to follow this  
Glaceon Mage

Opinions on that DQXI Character Day 1 - Erik, Serena, and Veronica

Or Day 35 if you would rather continue with the original numbering from the threads on other DQ games back in 2016.

I said I might bring this back, now I am.  

Anyway, DQVI protag but bishie, a gal with some varied gameplay performance throughout the game, and not-actually-10-years-old.

My opinions, in spoiler tags for spoiler reasons.

Erik

Spoiler

I like Erik, don't have much to say about him, but he's a bro.  

There's no spoilers in this spoiler, gotcha.  There are in the other two though.

Serena

Spoiler

Serena's was my favorite character design back when the game was first revealed, and her character delivered to at least some degree.  I did like her arc, but I feel the aspect where she previously always lagged behind Veronica could have been shown better, as is it feels like something we're mainly told.  However, her arc about overcoming Veronica's death was very well done, and is part of the reason why the postgame story is a massive downpoint of the game for me for undoing it all.

Veronica

Spoiler

She really should have stayed dead.  Not because I don't like her, but because I don't like cheapening her sacrifice.  It's the best written thing in the game.  

I really liked Veronica.  She's loud and fiery, but she's also clearly one of the most caring people in the group even before she sacrificed herself.  It's hard for me to explain.

• Like 1

I liked Erik and Serena. Erik I felt was pretty strong throughout. I feel like in games where a best bro is forced upon you, I'm usually meh about that, but Yangus in 8 and Erik in 11 are great companions from start to finish. Can't wait for Erik to have his own game!

Serena was OK, my main big healer when Sylvando couldn't keep up, and I especially liked Sage Serena in Act 2. By far her most useful time!

I was OK with little V. She didn't annoy me, but I rarely used her in battle much until late in Act 3 or against some bosses. I go into RPGs with the idea I can physically chop everyone down, so it's rare I use magic much except for healing and boss battles.

On 1/7/2020 at 9:49 PM, Glaceon Mage said:

Serena

However, her arc about overcoming Veronica's death was very well done, and is part of the reason why the postgame story is a massive downpoint of the game for me for undoing it all.

Veronica

She really should have stayed dead... I don't like cheapening her sacrifice.  It's the best written thing in the game.

I largely agree with these statements. I'll be honest, though, I do not like Veronica. At all.

I have a number of complaints about this game, a handful of them revolve around these two characters. Veronica coming back and Serena's growth being erased are two of my biggest gripes. Sage Serena was actually VERY cool from a mechanical and story perspective.

Edited by GrandAlchemist

ERIK: Fits the "loyal friend" niche well. He's crafty and likable, with just a touch of distrust based on how he handles Derk as well as the splashy Sylvando joining the party. Upon watching my wife play the game, Erik's budding trust in the Luminary is made even clearer, how he waxes nostalgic at the Manglegrove campfire about his adventures with Derk, unaware that the fun is just beginning.

Spoiler

His Act 2 story really brings him together as a character, giving some depth to his thieving ways and his quest for the Orb essentially being a personal one for Mia rather than a financial one. Final Fantasy 3 (6) does a similar trick with Locke's reveal for being a thief (er, treasure hunter) and it works nicely in both cases. I like Erik's spats with Veronica as well, while his party chats show that he still cares about her as a companion of course.

SERENA: Serena is prim and pleasant, the sugar to Veronica's spice. In Act 1, her properness is charming but can occasionally teeter over to dull when she doesn't interact with the rest of the cast much (besides her sister). I would've liked at least one other significant relationship in Serena's life; maybe she could bond with Jade over being younger sisters or both being on a Luminary-related quest from childhood? She also seems like she'd get along nicely with Rab.

Spoiler

Act 2 Serena has some of the best character development in the game though. She doesn't exactly do a 180 or anything, but the mature way she handles herself throughout THAT sequence makes her very endearing. The haircut is a pretty standard Japanese storytelling trope but I always enjoy it, and she looks great with short hair anyway. She's almost TOO powerful in Act 2, making Rab seem like a weaker choice in all regards.

VERONICA: The littlest character with the biggest mouth. Veronica's lines always get me to kind of sit up and pay attention for how fiery they are. Sometimes I feel like the Luminary should be all "This girl does not represent us!" whenever she's mouthing off to some NPC, but her brash personality certainly adds a bit of spice to the otherwise pleasant party. Even rough-and-tumble Erik is charismatic when conversing with others, unlike Veronica. I guess since they've both got a bit of an edge, that's why they tend to squabble so much. The rest of the characters roll with the punches while Erik and Veronica get under each other's skin. I kinda wish some of her lines weren't delivered quite so...forcefully?

Spoiler

Veronica may be my least-favorite of the main cast, but I still like her a lot. Her sacrifice in Act 2 speaks volumes about her character, and she's one of the only characters I feel who's Act 3 is better than their Act 2. I liked seeing her vulnerable side come out more during that act, with the praying at Arboria and the cosmic catharsis she suddenly feels after Mordegon's defeat at Heliodor. I guess her soft side had to be hidden a bit in Act 1 so that the sacrifice came as a bigger punch. But yeah, I like her as well.

It's past that week but I thought I might as well give my thoughts on 'em anyways

Erik:

Spoiler

He's not my favourite character, but he's somewhere up on the list for some of my favourite DQ characters. I enjoyed seeing his relationship with the Luminary grow, and I really loved his character arc in act 2. His love for his sister is also endearing, and I really felt for Erik during the flashbacks with him and Mia as well as him trying to find the Orb for his sister- it was definitely a nice touch to add to his backstory. Aside from that, I also love that he's a boomerang user as well. And I'm not going to lie I definitely couldn't help but ship Luminerik the entire playthrough

Serena:

Spoiler

She's probably my favourite character in the game, to be honest. I adore her character development in act 2, and while I was disappointed about the regression in act 3, I still have to admit I enjoyed her the most. However, I do wish she interacted with the other characters a bit more, especially Jade. Aside from the fact that I love the Jade x Serena pairing, regardless I think that it would've been nice to see them develop more of a friendship in the games. I can see why others might not like her, but I find her adorable and I always keep her on my main party.

Veronica:

Spoiler

I love her, but not as much as Serena. Veronica's personality and her quotes honestly make me laugh from time to time, and I probably like her due to her similarities to Maribel (in my opinion). I honestly would've liked to see her interactions with the rest of the party as well, especially during act 1 to help cement what everyone in the party lost when she died. And while on the subject of her sacrifice, I actually cried during the scene? I don't usually cry when playing video games (unless it's a Mystery Dungeon game, but that's part of the experience) but yeah...her death and the impact it had on Serena was really touching, though I think I cried more in the scene with Serena and the Luminary afterwards hen she cuts her hair. She's definitely a character, that's for sure, and I enjoyed her. Oddly enough, I do kind of wish it was possible for her to turn back to her real form in post game content, though I don't her staying as a child (as I'm pretty used to that appearance by now).