DrippySlimeStar

How do you like your level ups?

Do you prefer to see a bar showing how close you are to your next level in an RPG like Final Fantasy 7 and Pokémon or do you prefer the Dragon Quest route of not being able to "see" how much you have to go to the next level unless you go to a church to see how much XP you need? I prefer XP bars to give myself a better picture of how close I am and if it's worth it to stay out in the world to squeak out a few more battles to level up before returning to town. The surprise of Dragon Quest level ups can be fun as well and especially with metal slimes getting multiple level up chimes is one of the best feelings in games.

2 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Do you prefer to see a bar showing how close you are to your next level in an RPG like Final Fantasy 7 and Pokémon or do you prefer the Dragon Quest route of not being able to "see" how much you have to go to the next level unless you go to a church to see how much XP you need? I prefer XP bars to give myself a better picture of how close I am and if it's worth it to stay out in the world to squeak out a few more battles to level up before returning to town. The surprise of Dragon Quest level ups can be fun as well and especially with metal slimes getting multiple level up chimes is one of the best feelings in games.

I feel like Grinding is less tedious when I don't know. 

If I see the bar moving very very slowly it can be discouraging. 

I prefer showing the player. I hate having to go into the menu to find out how much EXP I need for the next level.

Posted (edited)

I’m indifferent to either way. If it’s shown after battle, great. If not, I can usually check the status menu or go to a certain location to find out.

Every game handles it differently, so I just roll with what they have present.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

Despite the mention of the unmentionable 7th entry in some FF'n series, I do very much prefer the EXP bar.

I'm pretty ambivalent, too, though I do sympathize with cprmauldin's point that progress bars can make it more discouraging than not to see only minuscule improvements.

I prefer an XP bar. One criticism I have for Dragon Quest is having to go to a church to find out how much closer I am to leveling up.

P.S. my favorite XP bar is the one in Pokémon G/S/C.

• Like 1

I'll tell you how I DON'T like them: I DON'T like them when you can put in all the effort to get them, and only see one or two stats level up.

Hi, can anyone here tell I'm obviously playing Fire Emblem again?  :)

In that game, level-ups are given like candy on Halloween: frequently small and each individual one is usually unsatisfying, but you get lots of them.

Also like Halloween, the process of accruing them has side benefits, like being able to put on new costumes and use new props when you go out for them next time.

Shaken, not stirred.

Shaken, not stirred.
Cultured and eco-friendly. Keep those millions of plastic stirrers out of landfills!
  • Like 1

One thing about level ups in RPGs I don’t like is when they don’t show you what stats go up with each level. It’s a minor thing, but it is nice to see.

• Like 1

One thing about level ups in RPGs I don’t like is when they don’t show you what stats go up with each level. It’s a minor thing, but it is nice to see.
I like to see numbers go up, yes!

If the level-up doesn't have some funny quip from the character, why're you even making video games?