Woodus

Dragon Quest III Switch Monster Images Added

And thanks again to Erdrick The Hero for pulling the resources from the switch version of Dragon Quest III.

I have added the monster images to the page below.

https://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq3switch/monsters.php

Samples:

hoodie.png

king_hydra.png

wyrtoise.png

Side note, I haven't played thru the mobile or switch version of 3 yet, there were two images I couldn't matchup with the Android/iOS list, anyone know what their names should be?

z_001.png

z_002.png

On 1/3/2020 at 11:04 AM, Woodus said:

Side note, I haven't played thru the mobile or switch version of 3 yet, there were two images I couldn't matchup with the Android/iOS list, anyone know what their names should be?

NES version had a separate palette swap for the second Kandar fight. And I think the Japanese version had a Kandar-looking sprite for the Ortega vs. King Hydra in Zoma's Castle (I think?). We got a human-looking sprite in our English version. And our mobile version had a normal NPC-looking sprite for the Ortega vs. King Hydra battle. Based on the mobile version, that second image probably goes to the second Robbin' 'Ood. 

I still need to play the Switch version, but these are my best guesses.

It could be my connection, but none of the images in the first two posts are loading now. The bestiary page loads fine though.

EDIT: They all showed up as soon as I posted this. By the way, what happened to the sttrikethrough button in the editor? And the subscript/superscript buttons?

EDIT 2: Strikethrough appears in the editor on Desktop, but not subscript and superscript. All three are missing on mobile.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

Also, I'm colourblind, so I could be wrong, but isn't that last image an Eliminator/Hoodlum?

Looking at the file names, it appears Aerynb is correct. They are オルテガ (lit. "Orutega", Ortega) and カンダタ (lit. "Kandata", Kandar, Robbin' 'Ood ).

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

OK, so the blue mask is Ortega and the purple mask is Robbin' 'Ood ?

1 hour ago, Woodus said:

OK, so the blue mask is Ortega and the purple mask is Robbin' 'Ood ?

That's what I would guess. Purple mask/cape is definitely Robbin' 'Ood 2, so blue mask/cape must be Ortega. I really need to play this and see if we get this Ortega or a regular-looking NPC sprite. 🙂

Here's the original fight in both 8 and 16 bits.

And here's the US version.

Having never played NES III, Ortega being a Robbin' 'Ood-derivative amuses me. I wonder if the game was intentionally implying that the 'ero and 'Ood were related.

Probably because they needed a quick and easy art asset.

ETA: I think Ortega also eventually becomes an option in the monster arena. Yes? No?

Edited by Dwaine
  • Like 1

OK, I have those renamed, thanks everyone :)

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 11:44 AM, Dwaine said:

Probably because they needed a quick and easy art asset.

I figured that was the case, but the coincidence got reaffirmed when Ortega cameo-ed in Erinn's finisher from Monster Battle Road.

But what amuses me most about the whole affair is that Ortega's 'ood is black, exactly like Robbin' 'Ood's souped up Prince o' Thieves form. There's a conspiracy theory to be drawn up here, but I haven't got the energy for it.