Woodus

Dragon Quest Your Story coming to Netflix?

Troy Baker as Pankraz would be PERFECT.

Gilbert Gotfried as Bishop Ladja.

Nolan North as King Korol.

Scarlett Johansson as Deborah (is she even in the film?)

I'll say this.  I hope this doesn't backfire, and plays well with the audience.

1 hour ago, ignasia said:

I'll say this.  I hope this doesn't backfire, and plays well with the audience.

I agree, though I don't think it needs to be said by either one of us. Or anybody, for that matter. It's the default win-win scenario.

• Like 1

Troy Baker as Pankraz would be PERFECT.

Gilbert Gotfried as Bishop Ladja.
Nolan North as King Korol.
Scarlett Johansson as Deborah (is she even in the film?)
Debs isn't in it. She got her own feature. edb537465fa4bf0379ebd2e5209b2336.jpg

Get that fugly hat off of that pretty girl.

10 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

I agree, though I don't think it needs to be said by either one of us. Or anybody, for that matter. It's the default win-win scenario.

Yeah, except that I posted about 20+ negative posts about the movie.  Some fairly strong opinions, even for me.  So I felt that was fair to give it the closest thing to a positive statement I am willing to give.

• Like 1

I think Scarlett Johansson has the right pipes for Deborah, but don't think she has the emoting chops to put out that much raw tsun.

The only character Danny Devito I think could play well in DQV would be Slon the Rook, with some boarish snuffles and grunts added in; not a slight against him, but it's the only character I can think of with his voice that wouldn't prove dissonant.

34 minutes ago, JaybirdC said:

I think Scarlett Johansson has the right pipes for Deborah, but don't think she has the emoting chops to put out that much raw tsun.

You should watch Her. She does a lot of emoting with just her voice to work with.

Could be nothing as it’s something that can be easily added by anyone, but I just noticed ANN’s encyclopedia entry quietly updated with NYAV Post as ADR Production. They’ve been doing a bunch of the recent big anime movies with GKIDS

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=22481

Edited by Choppasmith

What is ADR production? 

24 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

What is ADR production? 

It's just the fancy, formal term for dubbing. "Audio Dialog Replacement" or "Automated Dialog Replacement"

On 1/13/2020 at 11:31 PM, Choppasmith said:

Could be nothing as it’s something that can be easily added by anyone, but I just noticed ANN’s encyclopedia entry quietly updated with NYAV Post as ADR Production. They’ve been doing a bunch of the recent big anime movies with GKIDS

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=22481

It’s also on NYAV Post’s Wikipedia page.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/01/dragon-quest-your-story-coming-to-netflix-on-february-13

DQ-Your-Story_01-16-20.jpg

The Dragon Quest animated movie Dragon Quest: Your Story, which premiered in August 2019 in Japan, will make its international debut on Netflix on February 13, the company announced.

Here is an overview of the film, via Netflix:

Luca follows in his father's footsteps to rescue his mother from evil Ladja. Finding the heavenly hero who wields the Zenithian sword is his only hope.

Edited by Dakhil

Dragon Quest has reached peak saturation. If it doesn’t finally find a bigger audience after all the stuff that we’ve gotten in the last year, it never will.

• Like 1

Dragon Quest has reached peak saturation. If it doesn’t finally find a bigger audience after all the stuff that we’ve gotten in the last year, it never will.
With all the Twitter pages and fan art that's sprung up over the past year, I'd say it has.

That's a good point. And a mobile app on the way. Who'd have thought we'd live to see this?530f23e30f59cbf314f3af678ec96f8c.jpg

A lot of video game YouTubers have been talking about XI and how much they love it. That’s the benefit of previous games not being required to understand the story or being directly tied to it. I think I even saw BeatEmUps went to Japan and was specifically seeking out Dragon Quest stuff, which resulted in a video where he talks about Dragon Quest stuff, of course.

1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:

That's a good point. And a mobile app on the way. Who'd have thought we'd live to see this?530f23e30f59cbf314f3af678ec96f8c.jpg

It’s honestly almost like a strategic, targeted strike. A Switch port of a lauded PS4 game that has enough features to make it worth it for those that played the PS4 version, timed with Builders 2 and the Hero’s introduction in Smash. That crazy long demo went a long way in producing goodwill and excitement and, it’s length being so irregular for a demo, it got in the news just for that. Then they through up the original trilogy of games. And now a movie on Netflix. Within the span of a few months of each other.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2020 at 4:40 PM, eal said:

It’s also on NYAV Post’s Wikipedia page.

You know I checked the citation on their page and it looks like the dub is SAG approved. So it looks like it’s getting a Union dub, which means they might be seeking talent above the usual anime/game talent pool. If there’s any big actors I can see them getting I could see Tom Holland with accent as Luka. Hopefully we get a trailer soon. 

On 1/16/2020 at 8:29 AM, eal said:

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I wonder if Netflix will jump on getting Dai when it comes out so it could have all the Dragon Quest and SE stuff together. Plus, they could do what they’re doing with Saint Seiya, another Shonen Jump Anime by Toei, they used the dub cast of the new series and went back and dubbed the original series with the new cast. I’d prefer a SimulDub with Funimation and maybe a Toonami airing for better exposure, but Netflix for everything Dragon Quest wouldn’t be a bad way to go.     

I enjoyed Aggretsuko. I can't speak for the accuracy of the dub, but it was a fun watch and the voices were good. They could do worse than Netflix.

3 hours ago, Choppasmith said:

You know I checked the citation on their page and it looks like the dub is SAG approved. So it looks like it’s getting a Union dub, which means they might be seeking talent above the usual anime/game talent pool. If there’s any big actors I can see them getting I could see Tom Holland with accent as Luka. Hopefully we get a trailer soon. 

They got some legit names for Weathering With You but GKids frequently gets known actors for their movies. Netflix may or may not try to do the same but experience shows they probably won’t. They simply do not have Tom Holland money, at least not for some anime movie they’ll dump on their site.

One thing’s for sure; Stephanie Sheh and Michael Sinterniklaas will be probably play major characters haha.

Can’t listen to it. At work. Who’s voicing who?

6 minutes ago, eal said:

Can’t listen to it. At work. Who’s voicing who?

I’m still trying to figure that part out. It’s not British voices, and Bianca sounds a bit like the woman who voiced Shinobi in No More Heroes, Angelica in Trails of Cold Steel, and Jaspar (and various other characters) in Steven Universe.

I’d bet hard cash on Stephanie Sheh as Nera at the very least.