Dakhil

"Dragon Quest XII started development in 2019"

https://japanesenintendo.com/2020/01/01/dragon-quest-xii-started-development-in-2019/

dragon-quest-xi-kinopio-kun.jpg?w=1024

In his recent New Year's messageDragon Quest series' creator Yuji Horii confirmed that Dragon Quest XII production began in 2019, 33 years after he made the first game for the Famicom! Check out the full translated tweet below. Many thanks to @BlackKite.

Happy New Year.

Last year we started with publishing the movie Dragon Quest: Your Story, then releasing the Switch version of Dragon Quest 11, the mobile version of DQ Walk, the announcement of The Adventure of Dai anime along with its game adaptation, the production of [DQ]12 and more; even now after 33 years have passed since I made the 1st game, I feel very glad that I can do new challenges like these. Thank you very much to all users who have cheered on Dragon Quest until now, and also to all of the many staff members who have supported me. I don't know how long I can go on, but I feel like I want to do my best just a little bit more. I hope this year will be an amazing year to everyone. I'm looking forward to work together in this year.

First day of Reiwa 2

Yuji Horii, game designer

• Like 1

“Started production” as in they probably have some concept art, and we likely won’t see it until midway through the year. I’m willing to bet we’ll get a trailer in time for Dragon Quest’s 35th anniversary.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, eal said:

“Started production” as in they probably have some concept art, and we likely won’t see it until midway through the year. I’m willing to bet we’ll get a trailer in time for Dragon Quest’s 35th anniversary.

I hope the hero has the exact same hairstyle of DQ11’s hero and/or it’s spiky blue again. Just for @Plattym3. 😜

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

I’m sure he’ll have a passing resemblance to Goku or Trunks just like most other previous heroes.

18 minutes ago, eal said:

I’m sure he’ll have a passing resemblance to Goku or Trunks just like most other previous heroes.

Wait...they look like Goku and Trunks?!

Whoa. Next thing you’ll tell us is that Akira Toriyama was the artist!

• Like 1

I hope the hero has the exact same hairstyle of DQ11’s hero and/or it’s spiky blue again. Just for [mention=6859]Plattym3[/mention].
What's wrong with blue spiky hair? I like Eric.

20 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

What's wrong with blue spiky hair? I like Eric. emoji6.png

Not enough to spell his name correctly I guess. 🤪

Not enough to spell his name correctly I guess.
I like him from afar, we're not on correct-spelling terms yet.

On 1/1/2020 at 6:15 PM, Plattym3 said:

What's wrong with blue spiky hair? I like Eric. emoji6.png

I’ll take spiky blue hair over middle-parted, completely straight brown hair any day of the week 😂

I’ll take spiky blue hair over middle-parted, completely straight brown hair any day of the week
Just checking. 502eb66b58fbaee458357d5523b6876c.jpg

Some Dragon Quest fans:

tumblr_plqydeqqxX1xhm3noo9_500.png

Some other Dragon Quest fans:

no_no_no.jpg?1553965364

On 1/1/2020 at 5:32 PM, Dakhil said:

Happy New Year.

Last year we started with publishing the movie Dragon Quest: Your Story, then releasing the Switch version of Dragon Quest 11, the mobile version of DQ Walk, the announcement of The Adventure of Dai anime along with its game adaptation, the production of [DQ]12 and more; even now after 33 years have passed since I made the 1st game, I feel very glad that I can do new challenges like these. Thank you very much to all users who have cheered on Dragon Quest until now, and also to all of the many staff members who have supported me. I don't know how long I can go on, but I feel like I want to do my best just a little bit more. I hope this year will be an amazing year to everyone. I'm looking forward to work together in this year.

First day of Reiwa 2

Yuji Horii, game designer

What about DQM??? :( It's all I neeeeeeeed..

So, I guess this will be the last of Sugiyama? That is, if he is even in it.

2 hours ago, Billy MK said:

Despite his advanced age, he still seems to be in good health. Who knows?

5 hours ago, Billy MK said:

We can only hope.  Sick of hearing the series trashed talk due to the music.  Time to bring up the understudies and pump out more and better music!

21 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

We can only hope.  Sick of hearing the series trashed talk due to the music.  Time to bring up the understudies and pump out more and better music!

At this point Sugiyama is more of a drag on Dragon Quest than anything. Imagine one of the big selling points of an enhanced port, the Switch version, being that they have the good version of the music now because the composer/conductor held it back in the original release. Let’s pump some new blood into the veins of this franchise.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, eal said:

At this point Sugiyama is more of a drag on Dragon Quest than anything. Imagine one of the big selling points of an enhanced port, the Switch version, being that they have the good version of the music now because the composer/conductor held it back in the original release. Let’s pump some new blood into the veins of this franchise.

Yeah, as much as I like Sugiyama’s work, he really needs to go. He’s far too restrictive with the music and his later compositions aren’t his best work. I do like XI’s original music, but we need some fresh blood.

Bring in someone like Yuzo Koshiro or Yasunori Mitsuda if the understudy for Sugiyama is hit and miss. They could do justice to the series/music.

Not to mention the controversy that many keep bringing up in the last several months with him. I appreciate his work on Dragon Quest all these years, but they really need to move past it and go forward.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 12:21 PM, eal said:

Judging from the general timeline of DQ development and information/picture reveals, I'd say we see early screens March or April (June at the latest), get gameplay data by July or August (September at the latest), and then a steady stream from there until 3 months prior to release.

It's possible they also postpone this game so Dai is focused on.  Unless the plan is Dragon Quest XII is Dragon Quest Dai, the game.  I doubt it though.  I wonder if Dai will be an action game, given the requests for Action RPG experienced people a few months back, for a Dragon Quest specific game.  They were looking for battle system programmers.  That could mean Heroes 3 is a possibility, but we haven't seen anything teased for 11 months now?  I forget when the Heroes director teased Heroes 3.

5 hours ago, GrandAlchemist said:

Despite his advanced age, he still seems to be in good health. Who knows?

He might be in good general health, but his cognitive ability or at least the speed to break down music composition and instrumentation, spacing between notes, and hearing ability to discern how obtusely loud horns are in DQXI is a good indicator he's well past his prime in the physical realm at least in his capacity to generate quality music.

The fact that since 8, he's been using more and more older tracks to fill the void, meaning it takes him much longer to develop new tracks, is a telling sign.  We haven't seen a spinoff use new music since Joker 3.  Even then, Joker 2 and 3 had a lot of old tracks tossed in.  Heroes 1 + 2, and Builders 1 + 2 are entirely older music.  There's a good reason with Builders 1 and 2, but it would have been nice to see new tracks thrown into the Heroes games.

4f1d8e5603d084f8362331f6117980ce.jpg

Someone teased Heroes 3? The last thing I really recall was December 2018 & the Erik monsters game.

Also, I thought Dai was confirmed ARPG.

It's interesting how Horii hints that he doesn't have a lot of steam left, but wants to keep it rolling just a bit longer. I think many fans would agree that 11 would have been a great note to end on (if it had to end...), so it will be interesting to see how he can top it with 12.

Definitely agree with the comments here about Sugiyama. Maybe it's the nostalgia talking, but all of my favorite tracks are from the older games, with only a handful coming from the newer titles.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, King Zenith said:

It's interesting how Horii hints that he doesn't have a lot of steam left, but wants to keep it rolling just a bit longer. I think many fans would agree that 11 would have been a great note to end on (if it had to end...), so it will be interesting to see how he can top it with 12.

Definitely agree with the comments here about Sugiyama. Maybe it's the nostalgia talking, but all of my favorite tracks are from the older games, with only a handful coming from the newer titles.

All three of them are running on empty. Someone else will have to find it for me but I remember Toriyama also expressing running out of ideas as well.

3 minutes ago, eal said:

All three of them are running on empty. Someone else will have to find it for me but I remember Toriyama also expressing running out of ideas as well.

Considering the extremely lackluster design of the post game final boss on XI, I’d believe it with Toriyama.

14 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Considering the extremely lackluster design of the post game final boss on XI, I’d believe it with Toriyama.

The one that tipped the general gaming community off was the design for the Jump Force villain.

Yep. He said if he knew that the series was going to last 30+ he wouldn't have signed up for it!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2017/01/05/dragon-ball-creator-akira-toriyama-comments-on-his-30-year-long-relationship-with-dragon-quest/

He basically says there many others do stuff anyway. Too bad they're not bringing in other music composers as well.
  • Like 1