What Dragon Quest announcements are you looking forward to and/or hoping will happen in 2020?

I cannot imagine Square Enix announcing a brand new Dragon Quest game at a Western conference. They’ll probably show a logo for FFVIIR-2.

• Like 1
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn’t mind if any DQ announcements for the west wait a couple of months. I still need to wrap up DQ11S and the Builders 2.

Goodbye 2010s and hello 2020s! Happy New Year to everyone here in Dragon's Den! Since 2020 has just begun, there's bound to be tonnes of Dragon Quest announcements from Square Enix and Nintendo.

I'm Hoping, in 2020, we get DQ 4,5, and 6 on Switch. Say what you want about the ports; I love them. Also, I'd love to get 10 here in the west. Honestly I don't care if it's online or not. I'm hearing

Dragon Qwest X ONLINE

Dragon Qwest X ONLINE
If only
I heard about that. Presumably DQX will have an FF event? I haven't seen any postings on the DQX site about it yet though.
24 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
47 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I heard about that. Presumably DQX will have an FF event? I haven't seen any postings on the DQX site about it yet though.

Maybe. They did this collab a few years back and had FF14 stuff in DQ10 if I remember right, so they might do the same thing again.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Dakhil said:

You know what? I would triple dip on Dragon Quest VIII if they made it similar to Dragon Quest XI S and offered a 2D mode. I’ve been saying for years that VIII needs a DS-era demake and this would be the closest I’d ever get to that.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Dakhil said:

Yeah cuz the 3DS version is #$*!ing expensive which sucks cuz the plot and characters sound really interesting and this is the first DQ game I want to play based on that alone.

Yeah cuz the 3DS version is #$*!ing expensive which sucks cuz the plot and characters sound really interesting and this is the first DQ game I want to play based on that alone.
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king-3ds/

Not expensive.
You know what? I would triple dip on Dragon Quest VIII if they made it similar to Dragon Quest XI S and offered a 2D mode. I’ve been saying for years that VIII needs a DS-era demake and this would be the closest I’d ever get to that.
#$*!. I'd quadruple dip for that!

PS2.
Mobile
3DS

I'm definitely all for more PC ports, being a slight PC snob myself. But I'd also like to see the Zenithian trilogy on Switch.

Though, to echo an earlier point, if I were only given one choice, I want Draggin Quest X. That game is at least 10x better than I ever thought it would be and had joined the likes of 7 and 5 in my Top 3 DQ games.

Though, to echo an earlier point, if I were only given one choice, I want Draggin Quest X.

Sounds like a monster truck or 4x4 game. Maybe a pickup truck title where you just haul #$*! around the whole time, sidequests galore!

Sounds like a monster truck or 4x4 game. Maybe a pickup truck title where you just haul #$*! around the whole time, sidequests galore!
I try to double check my posts for autocorrect nonsense, specifically so you won't have any pun-making material.

I missed one.
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, Dakhil said:

Square Enix announced that games meant to be announced at E3 2020 will be announced at around July and August. Which Dragon Quest games do you think or do you hope might be announced at around July and August? 

Think: None

Hope: 

English version of X

New Monsters game or game we never got in the West

New Heroes Games

Ports of IV - IX on the Switch (I'd happily play them all over again)

• 1 month later...

I'd like them to release HD Remasters of the PS2 ports of DQ VIII and V with all the QoL improvements and additions of the DS/3DS ports. I'd also like Switch ports of IV - VI

On 6/27/2020 at 8:11 AM, Dakhil said:

Unfortunately stock is so low, there's no excess in their warehouse.  So it's in-store or nothing.  I don't know about @DragonQuest2IsGood but my area, and 100 miles around it, there are none.  Though this is kind of an RPG haven of sorts.  There are a surprising number of JRPG nerds out in the desert South West, if not RPG general (lots of DnD players in my High School, and they all played Wizardry/Ultima, and at least Final Fantasy, I think I was the only Dragon Quest fan and the only one who even knew what this series is amongst them).

Wow...DQ8 on Amazon just shot up to 66 new.  Even DQ7 3DS has gone up from the 30's to the 40's again.  I guess it's better than when DQ8 was in the 80's, and DQ7 was in the 50's.

@DragonQuest2IsGood  I'd definitely snag a copy asap from Gamestop if one is in your area, even if it's 100 miles away.  The used prices I'm seeing now, are in the 60's to 80's now.  Or ebay and hope the shipping price isn't exorbitantly high (15 for shipping a game that should cost only 3~4 is ridiculous).  Otherwise get a copy soon, as I don't think Nintendo is printing any extras now, so price should now go up.  I can see DQ8 3DS going up to DQ6 DS prices in 6m to 1y.

Edited by ignasia
3 hours ago, ignasia said:

Unfortunately stock is so low, there's no excess in their warehouse.  So it's in-store or nothing.  I don't know about @DragonQuest2IsGood but my area, and 100 miles around it, there are none.  Though this is kind of an RPG haven of sorts.  There are a surprising number of JRPG nerds out in the desert South West, if not RPG general (lots of DnD players in my High School, and they all played Wizardry/Ultima, and at least Final Fantasy, I think I was the only Dragon Quest fan and the only one who even knew what this series is amongst them).

Wow...DQ8 on Amazon just shot up to 66 new.  Even DQ7 3DS has gone up from the 30's to the 40's again.  I guess it's better than when DQ8 was in the 80's, and DQ7 was in the 50's.

@DragonQuest2IsGood  I'd definitely snag a copy asap from Gamestop if one is in your area, even if it's 100 miles away.  The used prices I'm seeing now, are in the 60's to 80's now.  Or ebay and hope the shipping price isn't exorbitantly high (15 for shipping a game that should cost only 3~4 is ridiculous).  Otherwise get a copy soon, as I don't think Nintendo is printing any extras now, so price should now go up.  I can see DQ8 3DS going up to DQ6 DS prices in 6m to 1y.

Oh god....

6 hours ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

Oh god....

There's a silver lining if you cannot get a copy right now for under $50, and especially from GS, so you can assure a $35 price.

Right now the market is exploding.  A lot of people who cannot watch sports (or because sports royally blows watching without an audience, and because you cannot go to the games), so they're looking for other things to fill in the time.  Meaning there's a TON of demand.  So prices are going up in most cases.

DQ4 and 5 DS for example, are about 30% higher.  DQ8 PS2 is about 100% higher.  However DQ9 is still in normal range.

This will necessarily change, and reverse as the market bubble collapses and demand drops once the lockdowns, massive mask wearing requirements, restaurants re-open (though mostly it will be new restaurants or old restaurants started anew in a new location if they do at all...some won't, but we will eventually see new restaurants).  Sports arenas will fill up again, and then prices will drop.  I do expect even DQ8 3DS will see a drop, but the question is how much.  There are definitely more DQ7 3DS copies printed, and while I think there are more DQ8 3DS copies out there than DQ5 DS copies, there are probably less than DQ4 DS.  Though it's more desirable a game, especially given all the added things.

Though of course, if the game releases on Switch and PSN, then it might see a drop for a bit, then a slight rise.

Just note that it's very unlikely the price will ever go below $40 once Gamestop decides to raise the used price.

Edited by ignasia
On 8/2/2020 at 6:44 AM, Black Knight said:

I'd like them to release HD Remasters of the PS2 ports of DQ VIII and V with all the QoL improvements and additions of the DS/3DS ports. I'd also like Switch ports of IV - VI

Yup. I would play em all. 

I doubt we'll get any announcements at all. They already revealed the mobile port of that DQ Monsters game on 3DS which we never got localized or fan-translated, so that covers the Monsters; DQ Builders 3 - I think it's too soon and we won't see it until at least a few years into PS5 generation, Heroes 3 is possible but I don't think it'll happen considering that they are making that Dai game which seems to be action-heavy. 

I doubt we'll get any announcements related to Dragon Quest. There were rumors about FF XVI being PS5 exclusive and it makes sense, then there's FF VII Remake Part 1 exclusivity deal that expires in March, Part 2 which they want to put out quickly.. I'm almost confident that Sony will show FF XVI on that rumored August event related to PS5 and Square Enix will focus on FF. Let's also not forget Kingdom Hearts. They're making the rhytm game, they've made numerous mobile games at this point and even DLC for KH III, so something related to the main title in KH series should be announced soon.

The best thing that may happen are ports of DQ 4-6 and maaaaybe the 9 remake they talked about? Maaaybe the offline version of X?

Edited by ShonenKokoro

I doubt we'll get any announcements at all. They already revealed the mobile port of that DQ Monsters game on 3DS which we never got localized or fan-translated,

Technically it got fan translated, but the translation doesn't fit into the text boxes (English uses more character spaces), and the translator can't figure out how to fix it. But yeah, it's not here in any way, shape or form.