Dakhil

What Dragon Quest announcements are you looking forward to and/or hoping will happen in 2020?

I wish they'd remake DQ9, but I want the grottos back too. Those are hella fun!!!

Starve a fever, sleep a concussion.

ya id so b down for dq x i mean come on the west is getting pso2 i know thats not square but it gives hope 

I am really hoping for Dragon Quest IV, V, & VI for the Switch and Dragon Quest VII for the Switch and/or iOS. 

• Like 2

On 3/4/2020 at 8:32 AM, iSickboy said:

I am really hoping for Dragon Quest IV, V, & VI for the Switch and Dragon Quest VII for the Switch and/or iOS. 

Don't forget Android!

I think the reason we never got VII mobile is that A) the 3DS version took so long to release here, and then certainly had some sort of exclusivity timeframe since Nintendo published it; and B) by the time said exclusivity window was up, Apple dropped support for 32-bit apps in their appstore. I'm pretty sure DQ7 is 32 bit. Theoretically it could be rebuilt/recompiled for 64 bit devices, but as much as I'd hope for it, I don't expect it considering the Japanese version hasn't been updated to 64 bit.

26 minutes ago, Brother Jaybird said:

Joe Hisaishi for composer.

Only once Sugiyama kicks the bucket.

I'd prefer John Williams but I feel it's incredibly unlikely that they'd choose anyone who wasn't Japanese as Sugiyama's replacement. And it's not like Williams is much younger.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Brother Jaybird said:

Joe Hisaishi for composer.

Honestly he would be the next best choice. He has plenty of experience and like Sugiyama he has a background in composing for movies. Plus his work in the Ni No Kuni games shows he could handle a video game soundtrack no problem.

A western composer wouldn’t make it, especially not John Williams. Not because he or anyone else would lack the qualifications, but with how Japan can be I really doubt a western composer would be brought in period. Williams is up there in age too, and a lot of his recent stuff like in Star Wars doesn’t have the oomph or appeal his previous work did. It’s his age more than anything, but I feel like his inclusion in the Oscars for music scores is more so because of his legacy rather than for the music itself.

Personally I’d want someone like Yuzo Koshiro or Kenji Ito to take over for Dragon Quest’s music. Both can write classical styled pieces no problem, with Koshiro’s symphonic works for soundtracks like ActRaiser being a good example. Plus with the spin-off games going for more of a varied style over the main games (such as featuring rock based music), you could REALLY see Koshiro shine.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I would be happy if Joe Hisaishi's chosen to be the next composer for future Dragon Quest titles. But with that being said, I think Yoko Shimomura wouldn't be a bad choice either.

2 minutes ago, Dakhil said:

I would be happy if Joe Hisaishi's chosen to be the next composer for future Dragon Quest titles. But with that being said, I think Yoko Shimomura wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Ehhhh, I could see her being a candidate, but honestly with how her music sounds/how she writes it may be a bit conflicting. Her soundtracks tend to be more bouncy and energetic, which works great for the Mario RPGs and Kingdom Hearts. While DQ games are usually not that heavy, I feel her style would be a little odd when mixed with DQ. It’s not to discredit her or anything, as she has some great works under her belt.

Having said all that, if she was chosen and we could see her use the same styles she used in Radiant Historia’s soundtrack when it came to Dragon Quest, then she would be a welcome choice. I was surprised she did that game’s soundtrack since it sounds different from most of her other work. Give it a listen if you haven’t before and you’ll hear what I mean.

36 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

A western composer wouldn’t make it, especially not John Williams. Not because he or anyone else would lack the qualifications, but with how Japan can be I really doubt a western composer would be brought in period.

Not necessarily. Kevin Penkin did the music for the anime Made in Abyss, Norn9, The Rising of the Shield Hero, and Tower of God. He also has experience in video game soundtracks, and apparently worked with Nobuo Uematsu. I’ve mentioned it in the past, but he would be my first choice.

Posted (edited)

Well, I don't mean to imply Sugiyama should die, I only have a successor in mind.

5 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Her soundtracks tend to be more bouncy and energetic, which works great for the Mario RPGs and Kingdom Hearts. While DQ games are usually not that heavy, I feel her style would be a little odd when mixed with DQ.

Agreed. I love her work, but there's a lot of energy in it. The most relevant example I can think of is her work for Radiant Historia, which is also fantasy.

Meanwhile, the most energetic Dragon Quest tends to get is either the classic bar theme or the DQV boss fight music. The most urgent thing I can think of his is "Hurry! We're in danger!" from VIII, and Shimomura could blow that out of water.

Sugiyama doesn't drag his feet, but the fastest pace his music tends to go is a crisp march; on the whole he gravitates towards slower scores, so as to build a more grand or ethereal mood. Shimomura likes herself a good gallop.

Edited by Brother Jaybird
  • Like 1

I just want some sort of re-release of DQ9. Switch would be ideal but I'll take a mobile port. I just want to play it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sham hatwitch said:

I just want some sort of re-release of DQ9. Switch would be ideal but I'll take a mobile port. I just want to play it!

And with a better implementation of quests than dumb DLC. If you want to time the player's content access, you should be more than able to check the clock on the Switch, rather than have them connect to a server you don't plan to maintain indefinitely.

I'm just waiting on the next Monsters game. 

• Like 1

I'd love to see a DQIX remake for Switch, further motivating me to get a Switch. Quest of the Stars shows us quite a few allusions to what a DQIX upgrade could look like.

I will accept nothing less than Dragon Quest X.

On 3/6/2020 at 2:02 PM, AustNerevar said:

I will accept nothing less than Dragon Quest X.

This.

I'm Hoping, in 2020, we get DQ 4,5, and 6 on Switch. Say what you want about the ports; I love them. Also, I'd love to get 10 here in the west. Honestly I don't care if it's online or not. I'm hearing impaired and since most people use headphones I can't game with others. I don't expect to get DQ 12 but maybe some teasers. On a side note; I'm worried we're not getting a Builder's 3 with the departure of Kazuya Niinou. Here's hoping.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ElderGamer1966 said:

I'm Hoping, in 2020, we get DQ 4,5, and 6 on Switch. Say what you want about the ports; I love them. Also, I'd love to get 10 here in the west. Honestly I don't care if it's online or not. I'm hearing impaired and since most people use headphones I can't game with others. I don't expect to get DQ 12 but maybe some teasers. On a side note; I'm worried we're not getting a Builder's 3 with the departure of Kazuya Niinou. Here's hoping.

X doesn't have voice chat. Sure, people could use their phones/Discord/Steam/Skype/etc., but we usually just type to chat.

I'd like to see a third Dragon Quest Heroes game, as well as a remake of Dragon Quest 9

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, gracequiles said:

I just don't want any Japan exclusive games anymore. But that will never stop happening.

Agreed on both fronts.

58 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Agreed on both fronts.

The twist: we get a Western exclusive game.

19 hours ago, eal said:

Ha!!! Yeah right. 

On 6/15/2020 at 5:43 PM, eal said:

Dragon Quest Guns: The Barrage of Bullets and Preschool Profanity

Oh, I'm sorry, I meant Call of Duty.

Square Enix announced that games meant to be announced at E3 2020 will be announced at around July and August. Which Dragon Quest games do you think or do you hope might be announced at around July and August?