Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

Your Favorite Games of 2019

Another year is almost over and another year of gaming is about to come to an end. 2019 certainly had some roller coaster reactions to certain games this year, expansions to well loved games hit the scene, and many fan favorites appeared too.

So, as we’ve done for the last few years, sound off with your favorite games you played in 2019. Whether they were brand new games that released in 2019 or ones you finally got to play from the past year or so, let your fellow Denizens know what you enjoyed and finally got to play this year!

I’ll post my list of favorites later.

Also @Woodus and/or @Plattym3, if it makes more sense to have this topic in the General Chit-Chat part of the Den or the Games (Non-RPG section) feel free to move the topic.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

Seems fine to be here.

DQXI S is great of course, no need to discuss it here, but I barely scratched the surface of this game as I invested 100 hours on it last year.

#1 - SteamWorld Quest was awesome! Under 20 hours and I absolutely loved the combat system. I don't play card games, but the way this card game blended with turn-based combat was awesome!

#2 - Cthulhu Saves Christmas was a treat. Got it on a whim last week and it was 6-7 hours of hilariousness I didn't expect. I hate gaming on the PC, but loved this.

#3 - (New to me) Enjoying Hyrule Warriors on Switch. Mentioned it in other topics, but it's been very entertaining and I'm loving playing it multi-player.

#4 - Yo-Kai Watch 3 was a treat. If you've never played a Yo-Kai Watch game, you should give this a go... for 50+ hours. Level-5 at a high level. Loved it and all the stuff it had to offer!

#5 - (New to me) Octopath Traveler. I enjoyed this immensely. People #$*! about a non-interconnected story. Who thr hell cares, I got 8 fun little stories out of it and a really fun combat system!

Fire Emblem: Three Houses was the biggest title for me this year. I love just about everything on the game. The characters, story, combat system. It improved on everything that I really like about the Fire Emblem games. While I did enjoy the more recent titles, this game felt like a breath of fresh air to me. I went into the game not expecting much, and ended enjoying every minute of the game. And I haven't even explored everything there is to do with the game yet. One of the few times where I am actually excited for upcoming DLC as well. 

A title I haven't mentioned about yet is Mario Maker 2. I probably put in a couple hours here and there and have a lot of fun with it. The community with this game is great, and level making competitions is a lot of fun on it's own. So far it is my go to game this year just to kill some time and relax. Or to tackle stupid difficult levels. Depending on my mood.

Then there is Dragon Quest XI: S and Dragon Quest Builders 2. Loved both those games as well. Just wish I had more patience and time to play DQB2 online. If the story and multiplayer was structered a little better I would have enjoyed the game a bit more. The new features on XIS made the pick up worth it all over again. It would be my game of the year, but it just wouldn't feel right to have nearly the same exact game as game of the year for two years in a row for me.

Another worthwhile mention would be Trials of Mana. The fan translation was on my backlog for so long. So finally getting a chance to play this game was really great. The collection itself was really great as well. A lot of care went into it.

As of next year, I am looking forward to Rune Factory 4 and the new Animal Crossing. Never gave Rune Factory as much love as it deserves. Plan on changing that in late January. Animal Crossing is most likely going to be my big game next year since I am a huge fan of the series and love the direction the new game is going.

Edited by Twinkie

As of next year, I am looking forward to Rune Factory 4 and the new Animal Crossing. Never gave Rune Factory as much love as it deserves. Plan on changing that in late January.

I hope it's still coming out then. I thought that was the plan, but I haven't seen a date in months.

16 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I hope it's still coming out then. I thought that was the plan, but I haven't seen a date in months.

I just checked on it. Best Buy has it listed as 1/21. Amazon has it listed for 2/25. Since Amazon has updated it, I am guessing that is the more accurate release date.

I just checked on it. Best Buy has it listed as 1/21. Amazon has it listed for 2/25. Since Amazon has updated it, I am guessing that is the more accurate release date.

Ah, yes! Hadn't checked since they emailed me the date changed to "unknown." Nice. February is good.

My favorite games this year were in no particular order:

Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth- The only game in the Persona series I've ever beaten and really put any meaningful time into. I really liked the premise, soundtrack, and characters. Plus this game has gotten me interested in trying more of the series; gave Persona 5 on PS3 a shot afterwards while it was on sale and enjoyed what I played of it.

Team Sonic Racing- I found the CPU racers far more tolerable here compared to the ones in Mario Kart. The courses, side missions, co-op gameplay, how much of a dork Silver is written, and kart customization were all fun. What little I've dabbled in with local mutliplayer has been fun too.

Dragon Quest XI S- While I already really enjoyed DQXI on PS4, what the Switch version added in top of it, made the package even better. Plus having the game on the go is a huge plus.

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening remake- I couldn't get into the GameBoy/Color versions of this game but with the Switch having enough buttons so I'm not constantly pausing to swap what items Link equips, it helped fix one of my bigger gripes with the original. I found the presentation to be charming, reminding me of something Good Feel would make with its toy-like aesthetic. The dungeon maker side game was lame though.

Luigi's Mansion 3- I've only put about six hours into this game so far before getting distracted by Pokemon stuff, but from what I played, the game has been an enjoyable and entertaining time. I did find the controls to be a little finicky though.

Blaster Master Zero 2- Other than the last bit of the game, I thought Inti Creates improved on the already great Blaster Master Zero.

Games I'm looking forward to in 2020 include: Shantae and the Seven Sirens, Panzer Dragoon, Persona 5 Royal, Fuga: Melodies of Steel, and Eastward.

Ok, here’s mine. My 2019 was mainly a year of gaming catch up since I finally bought a Switch, so don’t expect much from 2019 itself. Anyway...

1. Super Mario Odyssey - This was EASILY the best game I played all year, and is without a doubt in my mind one of the finest video games I have ever played in my 23 years of gaming. The presentation was beautiful, the music was amazing from start to finish, the many locations were so much fun to explore from top to bottom, the adventure of traveling the world was a unique idea to take Mario and company beyond the Mushroom Kingdom...I absolutely adored this game. I wanted to immediately replay Odyssey as soon as I fully finished it, and I can’t tell you the last time I EVER had that with a game.

I completely loved Super Mario Odyssey. Easily one of the best games I’ve played and is in my top 5 games for sure. Truly a gem you should have in your Switch collection of games.

2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - The game I spent the most time with all year, Smash Ultimate was the first game I popped into my Switch when I plugged it in. In my 220 hours with the game, I’ve enjoyed seeing every playable character duking it out across the many stages from Smash’s history, enjoying the new fighters, both original and Echo, and getting plenty of enjoyment out of all the DLC released thus far (and yes, that does include Joker and the Persona content). World of Light was pretty meh, but so many other elements of the game are fantastic that it was just like an afterthought.

Having played Smash since Smash 64, it’s incredible to see how far the series has come. I don’t doubt Smash Ultimate will be my most played Switch game regardless of what I play in the future. Smash Bros. games always dominate my time with my Nintendo consoles, and I wouldn’t want it any other way!

3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - While I haven’t finished Breath of the Wild as of this post, I have logged 100 hours into the game, so I feel comfortable enough putting it in my list. I wasn’t 100% sure how well I’d like the game, but once I left the Great Plateau and could fully start exploring the land of Hyrule, I was hooked. I love the way the story is told in this Zelda game, the wonderful landscapes and world design, the graphical style taking a little of something from past 3D Zeldas, and the real sense of freedom as you play. While I’m “meh,” on the weapon system, it’s never felt like a big hinderance. There’s far too much else about the game that I can list that I love about it than things I disliked.

Maybe in the New Year I’ll finally finish the game, but honestly I’ve just enjoyed exploring the world and seeing what sort of things I can find. Who knows, I could end up with another 100 hours before I even tackle Hyrule Castle? I do have all 4 Divine Beasts free from his control, but why rush?!

4. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PS4 Edition) - While I TECHNICALLY started this game like a year or two prior due to the Vita original, I never really got into it until the PS4 edition. It felt like a game that needed to be played on the big screen, and honestly that’s what finally got me to fully play through the game and get hooked on the Legend of Heroes series. I loved learning about the playable cast, seeing the constantly changing NPC dialogue, the story that kept getting more and more interesting...the writing for this game is top notch, something that all Falcom games seem to have. However, story and characters weren’t the only draw. The music was damn good, I enjoyed seeing different parts of the world in each chapter of the game, and the combat gameplay was fun even if the game wasn’t too tough until the final portions. This game gave me the same excitement for an RPG that Dragon Quest VII did, and the cliffhanger ending made me hungry for more! And yet, I didn’t feel like I was cheated out of a full experience.

Trails of Cold Steel is a fun experience in many ways, and one that really shows off how well you can work world building and character development into an RPG. Weird how this game went from an RPG I was indifferent on to becoming one of my favorites. I’m eager to resume Trails of Cold Steel II next year and see how the story continues for Class VII and the land of Erebonia, and with what little I’ve played I don’t think I’ll be disappointed.

5. Cuphead (Switch Version) - “It’s a good day for a swell battle! AND BEGIN!!!”

I heard that WAAAAAY too many times while playing Cuphead. I figured the game was going to be tough, but hoo boy. Cuphead was a game I had been following since it’s reveal at E3 years ago, and hearing it was only on Xbox One and Steam was disappointing. BUT, by the gaming gods, we got it on Switch and I was finally able to play it! Man, I totally loved Cuphead, and getting to finally see And hear everything in action was what I had been hoping for! The animation work is so much fun to watch thanks to all the details tucked away in the backgrounds, the fluid animations of every character looks like something straight from the 1930s and 40s, and the big band jazz styled soundtrack by Kristofer Maddigan was one of my favorite soundtracks from 2017 for good reason. The gameplay was smooth like butter from beginning to end, and while I died over and over and hit a few boss roadblocks, I kept going and got plenty of enjoyment from the game. Trust me, it was always very satisfying to finally defeat the bosses who gave me trouble.

I love a lot about this game, but bottom line, Cuphead is a fun, charming game. Difficult, yes, but a lot of fun and entertaining just to watch and listen to while it’s in action.

6. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (Switch Remake) - What’s this? A game ACTUALLY from 2019?! Yup! While I’ve only owned/played the game since Christmas, I’ve really enjoyed the remake. I was mixed on the graphic style when it was first revealed, but seeing it in action more via trailers my mind changed. I had that feeling I would enjoy the remake back when the game first came out, and I was right. The developers did a good job recreating Koholint Island, updating the soundtrack with some fun instrument takes on the original soundtrack, making some nice Quality of Life changes to the controls/items, and adding in some new items to find and some new things to do. It’s cool to see a game I’m familiar presented in a completely new way, and it’s felt like re-experiencing the game for the first time more or less.

Edit: Finished the game and enjoyed it from start to finish. Grezzo did another fine job with a Zelda remake.

I’ve found this remake to be a good time. It makes me hopeful we’ll see a remake of the Oracle games in the same style at some point, as those are my favorite handheld Zelda entries.

7. Spyro Reignited Trilogy - I really like how the updated the original 3 Spyro games. The Reignited Trilogy was fun to play through earlier this year on my PS4, and I found it to be a good experience from the start of Spyro 1 to the end of Spyro 3. Spyro 3 was the weak point of the Reignited Trilogy for me, but I don’t think I was the biggest fan of that game as a kid either when I had the chances to play it.

Not much else to say other than I had a great time playing the Trilogy.

And there we go. I’m guessing 2020 will be another catch up year on games from the last few years, but I’m not too concerned. I hoping to get to DQ Builders 2 next year, as well as (hopefully) getting/starting SaGa: Scarlet Grace - Ambitions, Octopath Traveler, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

We’ll see what awaits in 2020!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Blaster Master Zero 2 was an amazing ninja launch, and was EXACTLY what I needed to cheer me up on an otherwise frustrating day.  I 100%'d that game within days, and loved every minute of it from it's secret launch to it's fantastic finale.

I'm also very very happy with Shovel Knight Showdown, and I hope in the coming year I can find, among my friends, some worthy competition.  Sadly, I'm only casually into fighting games to begin with, and my friends and husband like fighting games even less than I do.  Our roommate loves smash-type games... but he's entirely too good at them and no one has any fun that way either. I need someone with the right balance.  * shrugs * I'll make it work out.

Atelier Ryza is also fantastic, but I'm saving the rest of that one 'til actual summer, for proper theming.  I'll also try to get my other games in the series done shortly after.  It'll be a barrel-ful of Atelier fun for me in 2020, I tell ya!

This is not a comprehensive list of all I played or enjoyed in 2019, just the highest highlights.  :)

One I forgot to mention last night: 
8. Romancing SaGa 2 - Again, a game I haven’t finished, but it’s one I was surprised by. Platty and I found out this game was one of the toughest in the series after we decided to play it, but while it’s been kind of tough I found the game to be fun. It gave me that Square Enix RPG vibe I had come to love thanks to the Final Fantasy GBA games and others from the SNES/PS1 era. It makes sense to since Romancing SaGa 2 was originally a Super Famicom game!

I really like the graphical style for the characters and monsters, the updated backgrounds look very natural for the game (unlike the re-releases of DQ1-3), and I found exploring the world and the freedom to go where you want to be a lot of fun. Intimidating at first since I haven’t really seen that in an turn based RPG, but it was fun to see what areas I could access and where NPCs told me to go.

The gameplay is quick to get into but provides a challenge too. I like the learning skills and strengthening of weapon types, and being able to create a party of different strengths and weaknesses from available options has been fun. Expanding your kingdom and creating new locations is rewarding every time, same for weapon and armor creation too.

Also, I LOVE the soundtrack. The sound quality is almost exactly like what was used in Final Fantasy IV (SNES), which is some of the best sound quality from the SNES era. There’s a lot of great tunes in the game, with the regular battle theme being a great example. I’ve also heard the final boss theme, and man, I can’t wait to hear that in game. It is excellent.

While I haven’t finished the game, I have enjoyed my time with it. It’s not for everyone, but I’ve enjoyed it. Can’t wait to get back and finish it and to check out other entries in the SaGa series.

Sorry both of my posts are super long. Guess I had more to say about the games I played this year than I realized.

• Like 1

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is easily the best game I have played this year. Given the short amount of time I get for gaming, the only other games I really got to play this year were Magic the Gathering Arena and Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls with some intermittent exploration in Breath of the Wild. What a depressing realization.

1 hour ago, GrandAlchemist said:

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is easily the best game I have played this year.

When I saw the "better than nothing" quote in the credits I died laughing.

I have returned to enjoying DQH2, and the post-game is interesting enough to keep me working on new things. (The story wasn't that great, but I made a whole thread about how much I hate the story a long time ago).

I'd easily put it in the front of the list I've made, but the other offerings weren't all that impressive (Alphadia for one). I've played Let's Go Pikachu, which is gorgeous, but I'm still emotionally acclimating to all the changes.

Edited by JaybirdC
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

I'll be honest, I didn't catch that. I tried to sit through the credits and realized I didn't have time for it.

1 hour ago, Dwaine said:

Did it make you cry like an anime fan on prom night?

• Like 2

Did it make you cry like an anime fan on prom night?
Not one normally one to call the kettle black (let's be real, sure I am), but back in the 90s, Anime fans didn't really go to prom.

12 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Not one normally one to call the kettle black (let's be real, sure I am), but back in the 90s, Anime fans didn't really go to prom. emoji12.png

That’s how dated that Mighty No. 9 trailer joke was:

Dragon Quest XI S - Just like Dragon Quest XI, but better!

CTR: Crash Team Racing - Nitro Fueled - CTR on the PS1 is one of my all time favorite games. Now I can actually play against real people thanks to the online mode!

Spyro Reignited Trilogy - Just an excuse to put 3 more of my all-time favorite games on this list.

Halo: Combat Evolved (Anniversary) (MCC) Yeah, this has been out for a while, and it's a port of an even older game, but it's one I've always wanted to play and I just got to play it for more than a mission for the first time a couple months ago. Currently I'm stuck on the mission Keyes.

Half-Life - (another old game, I know) Somebody made an unofficial port of the GoldSource engine to Switch, so I've been playing Half-Life again. Still haven't caught up to my old HL Source save, but it's fun anyway.

DOOM (classic) - Playing the original through GZDoom on Switch. Not gonna buy the game again, especially if I have to create a Bethesda account. Never really put much time into any version of this game before, but for the first time I've completed the first two episodes!

I only played Dragon Quest XI, Battlechasers, DQ XI : S, Diablo III, and Trials of Mana this year (LAME, I know). My favorite is DQ XI : S (which is still in progress) because it refined the already awesome DQ XI. 

The one that I think stood out the most was Battlechasers, because it was new and different. 

Wish me luck in playing way more and having more variety in 2020!!!!

Edited by cprmauldin
  • Like 1