Gaming Goals 2020

-Complete DQ Heroes II,
-Start and finish DQ XI
-Emulate DQ Monsters 1 & 2
-Emulate Terry's Wonderland
-Finish other side games in between.

Now, the challenge: Can he actually do any of these things?

• Like 1
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

YES!   Well at least some. If you shoot high, worst case scenario you still get a lot done. 

Challenge modification: My original object in bringing Dragon Quest Heroes II to 100% was to provide myself with a complete list of Battle Records data (which could then be used here on the den or

Here’s my check in: 1. I’ve been working on finishing games I’ve left on my Limbo List. Breath of the Wild and all the DLC I’ve finished, finished Dragon Quest XI S except for the post game, work

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Brother Jaybird said:

-Complete DQ Heroes II,
-Start and finish DQ XI
-Emulate DQ Monsters 1 & 2
-Emulate Terry's Wonderland
-Finish other side games in between.

Now, the challenge: Can he actually do any of these things?

YES!

Well at least some. If you shoot high, worst case scenario you still get a lot done. 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Brother Jaybird said:

-Complete DQ Heroes II,

Challenge modification:

My original object in bringing Dragon Quest Heroes II to 100% was to provide myself with a complete list of Battle Records data (which could then be used here on the den or the Dragon Quest wiki), but since the vast majority of that information is already on Youtube, I see no reason in dragging myself through the magic maze a few hundred times (as much as I like Erinn, I don't like her that much). What I will do instead is complete every dimensional dungeon, so that I have beaten every challenge.

Edited by Brother Jaybird
  • Like 1
On 2/5/2020 at 12:03 PM, Plattym3 said:

An interesting little goal of mine seems like it may be met now. I was toying with going a full year without buying a new video game for myself. I think with me getting the Rune Factory 4 review code, that reality may happen. Sure looking forward to Bravely Default 2 & Persona 5 Scramble, but those are things I can definitely wait to get 50% off a year down the road.

I’m doing a variant of this. I’d like to keep my yearly Breakdown in the Memory Card of my Backloggery page in the positives by the end of the year. Usually, it’s a negative number, and a high one. Keep it positive, you need to beat and complete games more then you add.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2020 at 5:58 PM, Brother Jaybird said:
On 2/5/2020 at 8:48 PM, Brother Jaybird said:

-Complete DQ Heroes II,

Challenge modification:

My original object in bringing Dragon Quest Heroes II to 100% was to provide myself with a complete list of Battle Records data (which could then be used here on the den or the Dragon Quest wiki), but since the vast majority of that information is already on Youtube, I see no reason in dragging myself through the magic maze a few hundred times (as much as I like Erinn, I don't like her that much). What I will do instead is complete every dimensional dungeon, so that I have beaten every challenge.

Challenge modification:

Forget the foul fortress. I'm not running around with basic AI support chasing down dozens of endgame formidables in a ridiculous tower defense mission. And I won't fight the Dread and Devastating Dragonlords, which is just an endurance fest. These are challenges for multiplayer, and I'm messing around on a laggy, inadequate, non-gaming laptop. As far as I'm concerned, defeating the Dragonlord once counts for all three.

Incidentally:

20200218144242_1.thumb.jpg.374cd624c2f8a51a67c7f66784bc3d1c.jpg

So that's Heroes II finished!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So...I'm loving gaming again this year. 

Like really loving it. And when I love something, I squeeze it in, even when my schedule is busy.

DQ XI : S  and Diablo III both completed since the beginning of the year. Now lets see if I can do the same with Rune Factory 4, DQB, and Trials of Mana (collection of mana), even though I've got a baby on the way AND I work 50-60 hours a week. 

Wooooo!!! No Sleep here I come!!!!

Edited by cprmauldin
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I’ve achieved a huge milestone. So far, I’ve played and beaten as many games as I’ve bought this year. I haven’t managed to do this in years. I’ve also thrown a couple games onto the pile to be sold on eBay once this pandemic is over with.

• Like 1
I’ve achieved a huge milestone. So far, I’ve played and beaten as many games as I’ve bought this year. I haven’t managed to do this in years. I’ve also thrown a couple games onto the pile to be sold on eBay once this pandemic is over with.
Not during? I'm hoping to get into my classroom tomorrow and grab my ebay box of mailers and such that I left there. I'm gonna list a bunch this week I think.
10 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
13 minutes ago, eal said:

Not during? I'm hoping to get into my classroom tomorrow and grab my ebay box of mailers and such that I left there. I'm gonna list a bunch this week I think.

I can’t imagine people would want to buy packages from random people around the country. I’m not buying anything from eBay for a while at the very least. I’m also using it as an opportunity to build up the pile more. I want to list them all in one fell swoop.

• Like 1
I can’t imagine people would want to buy packages from random people around the country. I’m not buying anything from eBay for a while at the very least. I’m also using it as an opportunity to build up the pile more. I want to list them all in one fell swoop.
I usually do that every November/December, yep. I made $200 which basically has paid for all my son's Pokemon cards and the 3 games I bought them since Christmas plus $60 worth of Perler beads. Basically, it's paid for almost all leisure stuff since mid-December & I've got more to sell.
People are buying more from Ebay right now because Amazon shipping is held back several weeks.
People are buying more from Ebay right now because Amazon shipping is held back several weeks.
That's what I was thinking. I'll check prices before I decide to sell this week.

Apparently no one's thinking twice about buying used stuff. Switches are selling like crazy.

15 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Apparently no one's thinking twice about buying used stuff. Switches are selling like crazy.

People are bored and they’re sold out basically everywhere else.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 3/3/2020 at 2:34 PM, cprmauldin said:

So...I'm loving gaming again this year. 

Like really loving it. And when I love something, I squeeze it in, even when my schedule is busy.

DQ XI : S  and Diablo III both completed since the beginning of the year. Now lets see if I can do the same with Rune Factory 4, DQB, and Trials of Mana (collection of mana), even though I've got a baby on the way AND I work 50-60 hours a week. 

Wooooo!!! No Sleep here I come!!!!

About 3 months later and I can confirm:

I'm still accomplishing my goal of gaming more and loving it more. 

I am sleeping very little. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I had yesterday off so I took the opportunity to put together a Google Sheets document on my phone that lists all the games I’ll be selling on eBay over the next couple weeks. I say “couple weeks” because there are a lot here, 73 to be exact. And keep in mind there are a small handful of games I’m tossing around in my mind that I might get rid of. I made the document so that I could track everything I sold, the condition it was in, how much I bought it for (if I remember) and how much I sold it for, and if I made or lost money on it.

Why am I doing this and why so many? Well, most importantly, it’s to declutter. I like to joke about Mari Kondo, but she really does have a point about only keeping things that spark joy. My completed copy of Tearaway that I likely won’t return to sparks more joy for me than, say, Drive Girls, which was fun for the meme of having it but I’ll never finish it and it is now just taking up space in my home. I don’t plan on posting dozens at once, I’d rather handle a couple listings at a time. And it’s not like I’m in desperate need of money (though that is an appreciated side effect). I chose to make a document listing all these games because I’m just the kind of guy that loves making lists, and it will make it fun seeing what was and wasn’t a worthwhile investment.

This will be, by far, my biggest move towards achieving my gaming goal this year. Part of letting go of these games is accepting that, no, I will never be able to get into Metal Gear or Monster Hunter no matter how hard I try to will myself into it. Yes, it’s nice having the MGS Legacy Collection but I’ll never enjoy the franchise and $75 is also pretty nice. It’s better have a lean and mean collection that really shows what kind of things you like then just shear volume of stuff you might potentially like.

• Like 1
I had yesterday off so I took the opportunity to put together a Google Sheets document on my phone that lists all the games I’ll be selling on eBay over the next couple weeks. I say “couple weeks” because there are a lot here, 73 to be exact. And keep in mind there are a small handful of games I’m tossing around in my mind that I might get rid of. I made the document so that I could track everything I sold, the condition it was in, how much I bought it for (if I remember) and how much I sold it for, and if I made or lost money on it.

Why am I doing this and why so many? Well, most importantly, it’s to declutter. I like to joke about Mari Kondo, but she really does have a point about only keeping things that spark joy. My completed copy of Tearaway that I likely won’t return to sparks more joy for me than, say, Drive Girls, which was fun for the meme of having it but I’ll never finish it and it is now just taking up space in my home. I don’t plan on posting dozens at once, I’d rather handle a couple listings at a time. And it’s not like I’m in desperate need of money (though that is an appreciated side effect). I chose to make a document listing all these games because I’m just the kind of guy that loves making lists, and it will make it fun seeing what was and wasn’t a worthwhile investment.

This will be, by far, my biggest move towards achieving my gaming goal this year. Part of letting go of these games is accepting that, no, I will never be able to get into Metal Gear or Monster Hunter no matter how hard I try to will myself into it. Yes, it’s nice having the MGS Legacy Collection but I’ll never enjoy the franchise and $75 is also pretty nice. It’s better have a lean and mean collection that really shows what kind of things you like then just shear volume of stuff you might potentially like.

As the resident "I sell everything", I couldn't be happier for you!

This Dawson's Creek-era song is playing in my head.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

As the resident "I sell everything", I couldn't be happier for you! emoji7.png

This Dawson's Creek-era song is playing in my head.

So long as a couple of the big money games I’m selling go, I’ll be happy. I can take the leftovers to a comic store nearby that sells games as well. I’d probably get more than I would at GameStop lol.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Hmm...

1. Complete DQ11s
  2. Complete my DQ3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 11 FAQs, starting with 11 (so finishing Critical data first)
  3. Complete Etrian Odyssey Nexus at the least ...I'll wait awhile before finishing 5, 4, 3, and MG
  4. Complete Dragon Quest Builders 2 ...I still haven't done all the Isle of Awakening builder projects yet, and I really want to get the Buildnoculars, as my large building projects are very slow going at this point, especially without double jump, which I wish Builders 2 allowed for (needs accessories, which I'm hoping Builders 3 brings back).
  5. Complete Dragon Quest Heroes 2 ...I'm only just after the initial trial bits, and the first major battle.
  6. Actually complete Bloodborne ...it's one thing to complete the game with a friend, on his PS4, going back and forth, it's quite another doing it on my own.
  7. Get through some of my backlog (aiming for...Rogue Galaxy, and a few other obscure PS2 and PSX titles I own like Guardian's Crusade...maybe even Grandia 2)
  8. Maybe...maybe finish all three mana games on Switch
  9. Maybe complete Bloodstained - Ritual of the Night
  10. Maybe complete Xenoblade Chronicles DE
  11. Maybe get the Setiengrat in FF12 ZA switch, then complete FF12 ZA PS4, then maybe complete the Switch version to boot.
  12. Maybe get through the post-game DLC content in Fantasy Life

I'd love to get through PSP games, but I dropped my PSP so many times, the disc reader now triggers games to bug out.  Games running off the card have no issues, but almost everytime the disc spins, the home button menu pops up on screen.  Even more fun when I get double or triple layers of 2D material on screen.  Not 3D at least.  Ever since then, I stopped attempting to play my PSP in bed, as grabbing it sometimes from the side, it slips out of my hands and...whoops, crashes to a very hard tile floor.  I'm glad it still works at all.

With that in mind, systems I need to fix or replace:

• N64 (probably a capacitor on board, or the power controller on board, but the smell is coming from inside the machine right where the power connector goes in, not the power supply)
  • DS Lite (bad battery, but it's taken a beating, so it needs to be replaced.  I can't click closed due to me having to glue the hinge several times as it's completely cracked and split apart)
  • PSP (probably needs some minor fixes inside due to one or another loose part, but I may have to replace.  I would prefer another 2000 unit, but a 3000 is fine).

===

@eal and @Plattym3  honestly, and I've had a few conversations with @Liamland about this, but I'm considering now selling some of my game collection.  The stuff I really don't care for, that I don't want to get rid of, and others where I have more current versions I prefer, and don't feel like replacing batteries for the older stuff.  There are ways of letting my future kids play those games through emulation and other means,  Though I do still wish I could show them on old hardware, at this point the wear and tear in general from older age is just better for someone else to handle.  I may not, but I am seriously considering it.  I mean, I already sold my 3DO.  So if I do, it would be a system and the whole collection to boot.

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, eal said:

^ Vita can play PSP games, just sayin’.

Physical?  I have 13 physical games, 1 digital.

I'm kinda glad this thread came back! I've been doing a pretty good job with my goals, so I wanted to add a few. 

I noticed some underplayed 3DS games so I need to add this to the ol' goal list:

Play Xenoblade Chronicles 3D

Play Etrian Odyssey Untold

Also, I want to jump into some CRPG style games so:

Play Divinity Originial Sin II on the PS4

Or 

Play one of the Forgotten Realms Remake games

Yeah, it's not really a selling point to me if a modern console can let you play old games that you've already purchased, by repurchasing them on the new console. If you could trade in the old copy for a digital one (and it's transferable to the next gen console) that's another story.

Yeah, it's not really a selling point to me if a modern console can let you play old games that you've already purchased, by repurchasing them on the new console. If you could trade in the old copy for a digital one (and it's transferable to the next gen console) that's another story.

Selling point? Not at all.

Bonus? Sure

I didn't buy my Switch to replay Grandia or Rune Factory 4, but they've been highly enjoyable. Then again, them and DQ are the only 3 series I'd replay.

Also, it helps that I sell all old consoles and games. So, I don't have any old stuff anyway.

9 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Selling point? Not at all.

Bonus? Sure

I didn't buy my Switch to replay Grandia or Rune Factory 4, but they've been highly enjoyable. Then again, them and DQ are the only 3 series I'd replay.

Also, it helps that I sell all old consoles and games. So, I don't have any old stuff anyway.

Hold up.....

....So you don't even have your 3DS anymore?